Delwyn Young is out tonight due to lower back spasms and tightness. He first felt it in the ninth inning last night in Houston, when he grounded out as a pinch hitter.
“It just locked up on me,” Young said. “Everything was fine, but then the closer I got to first base, the harder it got to move.”
Young did not participate today in the team stretch or batting practice.
Young laughed when I suggested perhaps he slept in a lumpy bed at the team hotel in Houston and that caused his back to act up. He won’t have to worry about that the next two nights, however. Young grew up in the Los Angeles and makes his offseason home in nearby Hacienda Heights, Calif.
“I’ll get to sleep in a good bed tonight,” he said, grinning.
· Ross Ohlendorf will start Saturday against the Padres at PNC Park. It will almost certainly be the final start of the season for Ohlendorf, who is nearing the innings pitched limit imposed by management.
· Pedro Ascanio (shoulder tendinitis) did some light throwing today. The plan is for him to face live hitters during this homestand and be ready to pitch in a game by the time the Pirates begin their season-ending final road trip.
· Ryan Doumit is hitting at a torrid rate so far this month, batting .387 (12 for 31) in nine games. Sunday, Doumit went 2 for 4 with a solo homer in the Pirates’ 2-1 win against the Astros. It was Doumit’s seventh career homer while batting righty, and his first since Sept. 17, 2008 against Dodgers lefty Scott Elbert at PNC Park.
· Tuesday, Major League Baseball will release every team’s 2010 regular-season schedules. The Pirates will open the season at home for the first time since 2005. Highlights include interleague road series against the Texas Rangers, Detroit Tigers and Oakland A’s and a series at PNC Park against the Cleveland Indians.
· For links to Pirates’ coverage in the Trib, instant updates, daily lineups and more, you can find me on Twitter by searching for “RobBiertempfel.”
Lineups for tonight’s game:
PIRATES (55-86): 1. Andrew McCutchen cf; 2. Andy Laroche 3b; 3. Garrett Jones 1b; 4. Ryan Doumit c; 5. Lastings Milledge lf; 6. Brandon Moss rf; 7. Ronny Cedeno ss; 8. Ramon Vazquez 2b; 9. Daniel McCutchen (0-1, 4.85) rhp
DODGERS (85-59): 1. Rafael Furcal ss; Matt Kemp cf; Andre Ethier rf; Manny Ramirez lf; James Loney 1b; Casey Blake 3b; Russell Martin c; Orlando Hudson 2b; Jon Garland (9-11, 4.23) rhp