The Pirates, more or less, have their usual lineup in place for tonight’s game against the Padres. I say more or less because the three players who are back in action – Andy LaRoche, Garrett Jones and Delwyn Young – each are still less than 100-percent healthy.
“They’re still feeling it a little bit,” manager John Russell admitted.
· Jones tested his shoulder in the indoor batting cages and seems OK. He’s still a bit sore in the shoulder, which he separated Friday while making a sprawling, outstanding defensive play at first base. An MRI revealed some internal bleeding, but Jones’ range of motion has improved of the past couple of days.
· LaRoche was moving slowly around the clubhouse before the game, continuing to feel the effects of what the Pirates have only said is an “illness.” Could it be swine flu? The Pirates say no. LaRoche said a friend he saw last week in Los Angeles had contracted the H1N1 virus over the summer, but she was no longer contagious.
· Young’s still lower back has loosened up enough for him to get back out to second base.
· Joel Hanrahan played catch on the field before the game and reported no pain in his right elbow. Evan Meek, who’s on the 60-day DL due to a strained oblique, threw a pain-free, 20-pitch bullpen session.
· Follow me on Twitter @RobBiertempfel.
Lineups for tonight’s game:
PIRATES (56-91): Andrew McCutchen cf; Andy Laroche 3b; Garrett Jones rf; Ryan Doumit c; Lastings Milledge lf; Steve Pearce 1b; Delwyn Young 2b; Ronny Cedeno ss; Daniel McCutchen (0-2, 5.50)
PADRES (68-82): Everth Cabrera ss; David Eckstein 2b; Adrian Gonzalez 1b; Chase Headley 3b; Will Venable rf; Oscar Salazar lf; Nick Hundley c; Tony Gwynn Jr. cf; Wade LeBlanc (2-1, 4.30) lhp