Busy day … and we’re still 3-plus hours from the first pitch.
– Less than 24 hours after he insisted his shoulder was “not a big issue,” right-hander Charlie Morton was placed on the 15-day disabled list. More on this after I get back from the clubhouse.
– Righty Steven Jackson was selected from Triple-A Indianapolis and will work out of the bullpen. No corresponding move was necessary, as the Pirates already had a vacancy on the 40-man roster.
– With Morton out, the starter for Tuesday’s game against the Chicago Cubs is not yet listed. Jeff Karstens could make a spot start or top pitching prospect Brad Lincoln could be called up from Indy to make his debut.
– Lefty reliever Jack Taschner (hamstring) was sent to Double-A Altoona to begin a rehab assignment.
– Altoona put right-hander Diego Moreno on the seven-day DL with a right rotator cuff strain. Infielder Jim Negrych was reinstated from the temporarily inactive list. Lefty Corey Hamman was promoted to Indianapolis.
– Eight Class A Bradenton players — closer Noah Krol; pitchers Nate Adcock, Jeff Locke and Bryan Morris; catcher Tony Sanchez; infielders Jeremy Farrell and Brock Holt; and outfielder Quincy Latimore — were named to the Florida State League all-star team. Morris was promoted to Altoona and is ineligible to play in the FSL all-star game.
Lineups for tonight’s game:
Pirates (20-28) – 1. Aki Iwamura 2b, 2. Neil Walker 3b, 3. Andrew McCutchen cf, 4. Garrett Jones rf, 5. Ryan Doumit c, 6. Lastings Milledge lf, 7. Jeff Clement 1b, 8. Ronny Cedeno ss, 9. Zach Duke (3-4, 4.47) lhp
Braves (25-22) – 1. Martin Prado 2b, 2. Jason Heyward rf, 3. Chipper Jones 3b, 4. Troy Glaus 1b, 5. Yunel Escobar ss, 6. Melky Cabrera lf, 7. David Ross c, 8. Nate McLouth cf, 9. Derek Lowe (6-4, 5.30) rhp