Bucco Blog

Donnelly’s parting shot

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Moments after this afternoon’s 6-3 loss against the Padres, the Pirates cleared out two ineffective pitchers. Starter Brad Lincoln (6.57 ERA) was optioned to Triple-A Indy, reliever Brendan Donnelly (5.58 ERA) was designated for assignment.
“I don’t deserve to be here right now,” Lincoln said. “I need to go down there to work on things, clear my head and get back to where I was before I got here. It’s probably the best move. For me to go out there and keep struggling is not good for me or for the team. I’m going to work on things and I’ll be back.”
Lincoln will swap places with Daniel McCutchen, who likely will be called up to start Saturday against the Cardinals. Sooner or later, Lincoln will get another shot in Pittsburgh.
Donnelly, who turned 39 on the Fourth of July, will not be back with the Pirates. Unless they can trade him — they’ve tried, but have gotten practically no interest so far — he will opt for free agency rather than accept an assignment to the minors.
“I thought I was doing what I was expected to do,” Donnelly said. “I know I was doing it with the younger guys in the clubhouse. I like to think I helped them a little bit.”
Donnelly was asked if the Pirates gave him a reason for the move.
“They’re moving forward,” he said. “That’s fine. Good luck to the players here. I don’t know what their definition of ‘moving forward’ is, but we’ll see.”
Both GM Neal Huntington and prez Frank Coonelly denied the move was made for financial reasons. “We’re still going to have to pay his $1.35 million salary,” Coonelly said.
True, but the Pirates now will not face the possibility of having to pay Donnelly up to $1.65 million in performance bonuses. Donnelly was close to triggering a $150,000 bonus (based on appearances) and would have gotten $175,000 for every five outings after that.
“Donnelly helped out and we’ll miss his veteran presence,” manager John Russell said. “But it’s time to move on.”
Evan Meek and Joel Hanrahan, who both were tutored by Donnelly since spring training, were surprised and shocked by the move.
“The Pirates gave me an opportunity to come in and work with some young guys. That’s what I did and I enjoyed it,” Donnelly said. “I wish I could’ve done more. But I do believe I achieved my goal here, which is my goal with any team — do more good than bad. I know I did that. When I see any of these guys pitch, I’ll want them to do well and I’ll be happy for them.”

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. joel says:

I am sure that if Donnelly had another offer equal to or better than the Pirate offer he would have taken it.

2. pannerI says:

Knowing what Nutting has done at 7Springs I’ll say this: Donnelly’s performance has warranted a move. However, don’t insult my intelligence and the thousands of other knowledgeable Pirate fans by saying his performance money and salary didn’t factor in the decision. B.S. Nutting has cut staff at the Springs and it’s ALL about money. If Donnelly didn’t have the Pirates on the hook for bonuses maybe the outcome is the same. Just don’t lie to me and say the money had nothing to do with it.

3. panner says:

Donnelly’s performance has warranted a move. However, don’t insult my intelligence and the thousands of other knowledgeable Pirate fans by saying his performance money and salary didn’t factor in the decision. Nutting has cut staff at his mountain resort and it’s ALL about money. If Donnelly didn’t have the Pirates on the hook for bonuses MAYBE the outcome is the same. MAYBE. Just don’t lie to me and say the money had nothing to do with it.

4. Dave says:

Not about money-yeah right! That’s the only thing Nutting and crew is about. But let’s be sure none of it goes toward putting a “major league” tean on the field.

5. tony sufak says:

they lied before about salary issues and they are and will lie again the gm and bob nothing

6. tony sufak says:

nh and bob nothing lied before and and will lie again about salary dumping

7. Mike Kuhn says:

Seriously guys, I don’t see this as a salary dump. For a middle reliever to have an era in the mid 5′s is atrocious. I’m thinking the front office doesn’t feel he will improve since he is 39 years old.

8. joel says:

Why the fuss over a pitcher who was cut and will be forty next year. The Pirates were nice to him to send him into retirement with a nice 1.3 million $$$.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back