Bucco Blog

Pregame: Cole to AFL

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

PHOENIX — It’s not quite breaking news, but it is finally official: Gerrit Cole will play in the Arizona Fall League. GM Neal Huntington said the day Cole signed that the top overall draft pick likely would go to the AFL, which will pit him against some of the top prospects in the game. Today, the Pirates formally announced Cole is on Mesa’s roster.

“We always thought the best way for Gerrit to begin his development in our organization was to be challenged by the competition in Arizona,” Huntington said. “We felt like he was ready to handle it. We felt it would be a good step for him, a good entry into professional baseball, and get him ready for 2012.”

Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, the top picks in the past two years by the Washington Nationals, also went to the AFL after signing their contracts.

»»» Matt Pagnozzi is in the lineup today, making him the eighth catcher the Pirates have used this season. That’s the most since 1914, when they used nine.

Lineups for today’s game:

Pirates (69-86) – 1. Alex Presley cf, 2. Pedro Ciriaco ss, 3. Andrew McCutchen cf, 4. Derrek Lee 1b, 5. Neil Walker 2b, 6. Ryan Ludwick rf, 7. Brandon Wood 3b, 8. Matt Pagnozzi c, 9. Ross Ohlendorf rhp (1-2, 6.82)

Diamondbacks (89-66) – 1. Willie Bloomquist ss, 2. Aaron Hill 2b, 3. Justin Upton rf, 4. Miguel Montero c, 5. Chris Young cf, 6. Lyle Overbay 1b, 7. Ryan Roberts 3b, 8. Gerardo Parra lf, 9. Wade Miley lhp (3-2, 4.24)

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Matt who??

2. joel says:

Poor Pedro Alvarez, one of the youngest starters on the team has to go home and rest. Thats after spending a lot of time at AAA. They don’t build them like they use to or he doesn’t want it bad enough. The Pirates have to be frustrated with Pedro.

He reminds me of Ross Ohlendorf, decided it was more important to do an internship at the Nations Captial then doing off season workouts. The proof is in the pudding. He won’t be a Pirate next year unless he takes a pay cut.

3. James Thompson says:

Both Pedro and Ross Ohlendorf need to hustle, or else give up on the idea of playing for the Pirates or anyone else since no other team will likely tolerate them the way they are now.

4. Kevin In Indy says:

Any truth to the rumor that Pedro is holding out for a dumptruck full of empanadas for his participation in winter ball?

5. James Thompson says:

Today, I heard that the Federal Reserve has predicted that this economic slump will last for years, although I would certainly hope that the Pirates’ slump will end well before that.

6. samman says:

whatever happened to Zach DUke???

7. Denny says:

What will Josh Bell be doing this fall ?

8. James Thompson says:

Unfortunately, owner Bob Nutting could not likely sell the Pirates during these tough economic times if he wanted to, since there are probably no buyers with money, much less the interest in a small market baseball team.

9. Chuck H. says:

If I owned the Pirates, I would look at the season stats and any hitter with an average less than .225 would be gone and any pitcher with an ERA over 5.00 would also be gone from next year’s team. I know that’s not how it works in reality, but it makes sense to me. I have been a Pirate fan as long as I can remember, and since I was born and raised in Western PA, I guess I will always be loyal to the Buccos. However, I do wish they could come up with a winning season, for a change. Thanks for listening!!!

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back