Bucco Blog

Hurdle at home with Pirates

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqqb_C_AIEQ

BRADENTON, Fla. — I sat down with manager Clint Hurdle this morning at Pirate City to talk abouut what he saw this week in minicamp and what he expects to see this season from the ballclub. “I’m very pleased with the participation and the commitment level from everybody,” Hurdle said. “Those are things you’re always looking for, attitude and effort. … (Minicamp is about) just getting out on the field and let them run around. You make some mental notes, as they’re going through their programs, about things we might be able to give them as they (begin) their next level of preparation before they return (for spring training). We’re not trying to over-coach or get too creative right now.”

»»» As players took hacks in the indoor batting cages, Hurdle chatted with an observer and discovered she grew up in Australia and now lives in Washington, D.C. She asked Hurdle how he likes living in Florida. “Oh, I don’t live here,” Hurdle replied without hesitation. “My home is in Pittsburgh.” Again — it’s those kinds of little moments that show how Hurdle has bought into his job and seems ready for the long haul.

»»» Hurdle will fly back to Pittsburgh on Friday, then return to Bradenton in two weeks to begin final preparations for spring training. Many of the players indicated they also plan to be in camp several days before the official reporting dates for pitchers/catchers and position players.

Comments

1. Clint Hurdle——the 2012 Chuck Tanner

Remember: lots of folks didn’t like the way Chuck Tanner switched pitchers and chose pinch hitters when he was the Manager.

I can’t help it: I love it that Hurdle lives in Pittsburgh. I know it’s an emotional response and I try to be analytical . . . . . but Clint Hurdle IS a Pittsburgher!

2. Kim says:

Clint Hurdle is a Pittsburgher. So what? He’s still a below-avearage manager and his team still is crummy. Give me an out-of-town manager and a playoff-caliber team.

3. Cammy says:

Here’s some free advice, Clint: Just win, baby. Everything else is lip service.

4. Jay Walker says:

So Clint Hurdle lives in Pittsburgh. That and $40 million will get us a good team.

5. meglasdad says:

Yes, unfortunately, Tim Tebow himself couldn’t manage this collection of talent(?) to a pennant.

6. Mackie says:

Why do I think Clint Hurdle is nothing more than a human hot-air balloon?

7. Dana says:

No-deal Neal should have traded Hanrahan to Texas last July. The Buccos could have picked up a young regular and a high-end prospect, and the Rangers would have won the World Series with Hanrahan as their closer. Both sides blew it big time.

8. Jay Walker says:

Mackie: And why do I agree with you?

9. TJA says:

This team and fan base needs stability. I see this as a big deal. Clint is making Pittsburgh his (and his family’s) hometown here and now. That shows me committment to the Pirates and to the fans.

10. Dan Finnegan says:

Hurdle is a completely competent ML manager, not the problem here. The FO and ownership need to step up to the plate and show some balls to bring in some difference making FA’s. By that I mean Prince Fielder to play 1st base. Another quality starting pitcher would not be a bad thing either. But we’ll probably see NUTTING at all.

11. Vinnie says:

“Hurdle puts emphasis on finishing 2012.”

Don’t know how many games our Buccos will win, but at least they’ll show up for all of them!

12. Jay Walker says:

Hey, Beertemple, the Yankees spent $12.47 million in a New York minute yesterday!

13. dejan shortpants says:

Very, very disappointed in the concert schedule. Other than STYX, nobody is worth a darn. Where’s Steve Miller?

14. Randy California says:

Looks like I’ll be a no-show at PNC Park this season. The concert schedule is crummy. That’s the only reason I went to the games.

15. Gabriel says:

Now only can’t the Buccos attract star players, but they can’t even get washed-up rock groups to come here. Now how sad is that?

16. dejan shortpants says:

No Steve Miller at PNC Park, no me next season. He’s the only reason to sit through three hours of lousy baseball.

17. Bob says:

Disappointed in the concert schedule. If the Pirates can’t put a good team on the field, then they owe us at least that much.

18. Dejan Shortpants says:

Bob: Two words — Neil Young!

19. PADDY says:

If the Buccos bring the Kinks to PNC Park, then I’ll buy a partial ticket plan. Until then, I’m so tired, tired of waiting for a winning season.

20. John from Akron says:

Hey, I can live with a 20th consecutive losing season, but can’t you at least entertain me after the game? My friends and I look forward to the concerts a lot more than the games.

21. Steve says:

TJA: What if the Pirates lose 90 games this season? And next season? Then we’re stuck with Hurdle because he’s a local resident? I don’t see star free agents flocking here because he’s a Pittsburgh guy. I want a manager who wins, and I can care less from he comes from. This is so typical of the small-minded mentality here.

22. Lady Di says:

Am I the only one who can’t wait to boo Fat Pedro on opening day?

23. The Gonsk says:

I can’t stand Pedro Alvarez. He’s a spoiled, filthy-rich lard-ass and represents everything that is wrong with baseball today.

24. Dejan Shortpants says:

Couldn’t agree with you more!