Bucco Blog

The trade offer the Pirates should make: it involves a guy named Giancarlo

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

CINCINNATI – Disclaimer: anyone can dream up a trade offer and hypothetical trades are what’s fueled dead-periods in talk radio for years.

So I’m not going to share them or create them unless I think they are A: interesting, B: within the realm of plausibility.  And I stumbled upon a a rumor meeting both criteria today from ESPN’s David Schoenfield today.

What do the Pirates’ need? They need offense. They are 12th in the NL in runs scored.

Where do they need offense?  Several places but particularly in right field.

giancarlo

How would you like Giancarlo in right field at PNC Park?

The Pirates’ right-fielders have combined for a 15th ranked OPS, last in the NL.

The Pirates other real area of weakness is shortstop, which ranks 14th. The Pirates have tried to upgrade shortstop by making Jordy Mercer the full-time shortstop, trading a little defense for what they hope is a lot of offense.

But right-field is more problematic.

Hurdle has tried platoon. He’s tried Travis Snider, he’s tried Garrett Jones, he’s tried Jose Tabata and even Russell Martin. But right field is where you need a prototype corner bat and the Pirates lack that and that’s a big reason why they’ve struggled to score runs. Gregory Polanco might be that guy down the road. Austin Meadows might be that. Josh Bell might be that. But they are years away.

The Pirates aren’t years away.

They have an opportunity now. And the Pirates could very well be buyers because they have a talented and deep farm system.

The Marlins don’t have an opportunity. They are several years away from being relevant and by that time Giancarlo Stanton will be either a free agent or into his third year of arbitration. I don’t see Stanton as a candidate to take a team-friendly contract extension. I think Stanton will be traded at some point. So who will be the buyer? Seattle is interested and has young talent. Texas has the system to be a player. Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh might be the best fit.

Schoenfield proposed this idea:

PIRATES get: Stanton – who would solve a lot of problems for the Pirates

MARLINS get: Jameson Taillon/Gregory Polanco/Tony Sanchez (edit – thought ESPN had Alen Hanson here)

Would you do it? Yeah it’s expensive. But remember even half of top 10 prospects fail to reach stardom.

I’d advise Neal Huntington to do it. (You can’t get free advice like this anywhere).

Look,Taillon and Polanco are both top 25 prospects. Hanson is another top 100 guy. But the Pirates have right-handed pitching depth throughout their system. And Stanton isn’t going to come cheap, nor should he. Stanton is an extremely rare talent, just the third player to debut at 21 or younger and hit 100 home runs in his first 400 at bats. I think he’s one of the 10 most valuable assets in baseball – he’s under club control for three-plus seasons – and to get that type of player you’re going to have to pay.

The Priates are one of the few organizations who have the type of talent the Marlins want.

Who says no first? I’m not sure either side would say no.

An Andrew McCutchen-Stanton-Starling Marte outfield could also be very special defensively.

It would also sell some tickets.

- TS

(@Sawchik_Trib)

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. Zack says:

You have to imagine the Pirates will try to keep Tallion if they can manage to, but Stanton is proven. Fixes the Pirates’ biggest problem, and even if you have to let Tallion go, you still have Kingham, Glasnow and Herredia coming. Gayo can find other stars in the making, he’s done it 3 times now with Marte/Polanco/Hanson.

I doubt Huntington could pick up the phone and make an offer, but I would happily invite him to prove me wrong

2. Wilbur says:

No way. Way, way too much, even if you sub in Tony Sanchez for Hanson, as suggested elsewhere on the web today. I wouldn’t do it if Stanton were healthy, let alone considering his injury history. He’s also not exactly Clemente in the field, either.

Imagine if someone had proposed a similar deal for Matt Kemp 18 months ago. Look where we’d be now. The Pirates can’t be trading three players for one, especially when one of the three is our only viable shot at an above-average middle infielder in the entire system.

3. Sisyphus says:

Way, way too much.

4. Brendan says:

I’d hate to lose Taillon and Polanco but Stanton is obviously a special player and quite young himself. Two unknowns I’m thinking about–but don’t have definitive answers to–that would impact my feelings on the trade:

1) Stanton’s Health

He missed almost forty games last year and more than forty so far this year. Is that sufficient reason to think health will be a concern going forward?

2) An Extension

If the Pirates made the trade this season they’d have Stanton under control for 2014-2016 (I believe). If he’s open to signing any sort of extension to buy out a couple of free agent years the trade becomes all the more compelling. Without an extension are those 3+ seasons enough?

Travis, Travis, Travis…still have not learned.
    You just cannot have a conversation about the Pittsburgh Pirates, or any small market team, without considering cost.
    Stanton is in line to become the highest paid arbitration eligible player in history. And that is not hyperbole. If the Pirates cannot afford free agents in the $15m/yr range, what makes anyone think they can afford Stanton?
    Oh, and what happened to the guy claiming Polanco could be in Pittsburgh next June? Now that is all the sudden years away? Tsk tsk tsk…

Pirates would never, ever be able to come close to buying out some of Stanton’s free agent years without sacrificing the rest of the roster.

7. Travis Sawchik says:

Yes, Taillon is a potential horse. But Stanton is a potential Hall of Fame talent who has already proven he’s a star. I think the Pirates are one of a handful of organizations that have the talent and depth to make such a trade.

8. BostonsCommon says:

My thoughts:

1)Taillon is the cost of doing business in this deal. If he’s not included, it will never happen. I don’t care how many RHP flame throwers the Bucs have on the farm, Miami will want Taillon, it starts and stops with him, and that’s that… And I’m still on the fence, but I think I can live with that because of the depth in the system.

2) Polanco is the wild card in this, I’ve not seen him play so it’s hard for me to have an opinion on this, but my question is, “Is he going to be better than Stanton”? I mean has anyone shot up the prospect rankings list like this guy? A couple years ago he was a skinny unknown Dominican, and now hes Dave Parker with speed to burn? Travis is right about Stanton too, easily one of the 10 best in the Bigs, even with the injuries. Is Polanco going to reach that level, or even exceed it? At the rate he’s going he might be up next summer and we would find out, but I don’t know if he’s going to pass McCutchen and be a top 10 player in the league…. Still, Polanco is easily the toughest pill to swallow in this deal

3) I know the Bucs have been searching forever for a SS, especially one that can hit, but I’m not sold on Hanson yet. Again, he’s another I haven’t seen play, but reports saying smallish (5’11″, 165#), fringy arm, with too many errors… Sounds like a second baseman to me, even if his bat does carry him to the Bigs. I think I can live with him going

9. Travis Sawchik says:

An extension would be very tough if not an impossibility. It would probably have to happen this offseason. Still, even if it was just three+ years of Stanton? That could be a 140 HRs and impact defense in right.

10. BostonsCommon says:

Dilson Herrera and Jordy Mercer would like to have a word with you about that.

11. Travis Sawchik says:

As I’ve said before, BEST CASE is Polanco could be up next June. I believe that. But even if he reached Pittsburgh next June, he wouldn’t likely be an impact guy until 2015 or 2016 or beyond.

There’s no way they could afford Stanton the free agent. Stanton the arbitration player? I think they could. They agreed to a contract with McCutchen that will pay him $14M and that’s were Stanton’s ARB2 or 3 could potentially go.

Hey, it’s not just about the bottom dollar it’s about the value and what the dollar provides. $14M for Stanton is a bargain.

12. BostonsCommon says:

Why can’t they buy out a couple years? If Cincy can have Votto and Bruce, Milwaukee can have Braun, Detroit can have Verlander, Fielder, and Cabrera… Why cant the Bucs have Stanton, Cutch, and Cole? I mean how are those markets so much bigger and more profitable than Pittsburgh?

Speak to Bob Nutting, not me. I’m just dealing with reality.

14. BostonsCommon says:

I get it… But I don’t get it. Revenue is going up for every team in the league, by what, $50M/year?

“Hey, it’s not just about the bottom dollar it’s about the value and what the dollar provides.”
    Only if you still have enough money left to fill in the right guys around him. Look what happened in Minnesota. Sign their two homegrown stars to mega contracts, boost payroll over $90m, and STILL cannot put a winning team on the field.
    The Pirates would be paying Cutch and Stanton between $25-35m during Stantons 2nd and 3rd arb year. Now add Pedro and Walker in their 2/3 and 3/4 arb years respectively and you could be well over $50m on HALF a starting lineup without a single pitcher to speak of. The numbers simply do not add up without a huge increase in payroll.
    Just look at the other players sitting at the table. New York, Texas, Seattle. NOT Tampa, Oakland, Kansas City.

16. Brendan says:

One more thing to add on this topic. We talk quite often about the Cardinals as the model franchise in the NL, if not all of baseball. One of the many things they do well is evaluating their own talent. They rarely trade their prospects/young players.

Two exceptions: Brett Wallace and Colby Rasmus. Both were Top 100 prospects entering the 2009 season, Rasmus ranked #3 by Baseball America and Brett Wallace #40. Wallace was traded to the A’s in 2009 along with Clayton Mortenson and Shane Peterson for Matt Holliday. Despite his prospect status Wallace has essentially been a AAAA player since. Rasmus was traded in 2011 to Toronto as the primary asset in a package that netted St. Louis Edwin Jackson, Octavio Dotel, and Marc Rzepczynski–mportant pieces in the Cards eventual World Series title that season. Rasmus had been terrific in 2010, putting up an .859, and was only 24. Generally the perception was that he was traded because of makeup issues but that he was immensely talented. He’s still only 26 but has yet to put up an OPS north of .800 since the trade. At the moment in both cases it looks like the Cardinals got it right. They gave up young players near their peak value–which has since depreciated–in return for players who made an immediate impact for the ML team.

So ultimately I think this will be a real test of the Pirates ability to evaluate their own talent. Giancarlo Stanton is almost certain to make the Pirates better in 2013. How much better is hard to say. One would assume the Marlins would wait until the deadline to move him, if they moved him at all this season. So you’d essentially get two months of Stanton in the 2013 regular season. While that’s a short amount of time to make an impact, his presence on the roster would certainly increase the Pirates chances of making the playoffs. What impact his presence would have on the Pirates likelihood of advancing in the playoffs is harder to gauge. As we’ve seen in recent years the playoffs have increasingly become a crap shoot and the ‘best team’ rarely wins, the addition of the one game wild card play in only increases this uncertainty. But having Stanton in the lineup only increases the Pirates chances of playoff success this year.

The real question however is 2014. It’s very possible that both will arrive at some point next season. An optimistic projection might view them as likely to contribute immediately. If this were the case how would the value of Taillon/Polanco in 2014 compare to Stanton in 2014? The same question applies to 2015.

If the Pirates view Taillon and Polanco as important 2014 contributors and stars from 2015 onward they shouldn’t trade them for Stanton. If they view their likelihood of becoming stars with less certainty then they should consider making the move if it becomes available. This is where the Pirates ability to accurately evaluate their own players in general and Taillon and Polanco in particular becomes enormously important.

$20m was the range I last heard.

Besides, that is money EVERY team will have. Even if it paid for Stanton, you’d still be no further ahead on filling out the rest of the roster.

18. Travis Sawchik says:

Sanchez, not Hanson, was the third piece in ESPN’s hypothetical deal. I have fixed the blog.
    I don’t think that changes the overall out-going value, though.

Stanton is much younger than Kemp. Stanton also has the rarest of power and special mental makeup. Kid is going to the Hall of Fame. Pirates would do well to land even three years at or near his peak

19. Travis Sawchik says:

That can be debated, but the price of poker for Stanton is going to start with two top 25 prospect which not many teams have, and that’s what Taillon and Polanco are

20. cmat0829 says:

Trading Taillon is really tough, because he looks like he has Cole-like stuff and those starting pitchers are very hard to come by. Yes, Stanton is the sexy pick because he is a very very powerful hitter in a need spot, but I think the Bucs path to success more resembles the SF Giants and not the Detroit Tigers.

I think there are upgrades available that won’t cost Taillon/Polanco…. let’s face it, the Pirates success will rely upon, in order:

1) Starting pitchers continued success — which requires AJ and Wandy to get back healthy and performing.
    2) Bullpen holding up — which will require a trade acquisition a la Broxton 2012 for the Reds.
    3) Increased production in right field, which will require a trade ( I tend to prefer Alfonso Soriano, but Josh Willingham works too, as does Michael Morse).
    4) CUTCH/WALKER/JONES ‘progressing’ to their mean

Of 1-4, I feel most comfortable about the pitching…this isn’t 2011-2012 pitching staff folks…. I think 3 can be easily achievable…. 4 gives me the most pause right now, though it should be the easiest thing to count on.

21. cmat0829 says:

AMEN, NMR… Bucs path to success will look like SF Giants… they added some nice pieces to a strong pitching staff and voila!

22. Travis Sawchik says:

I think this is an excellent broad perspective.

My guess is Stanton provides more value this season and next season, and equal value to that of Taillon and Polanco and Sanchez in 2015. The the trade starts returning negative value, regardless of how the prospects pan out, because Stanton is in a different uniform in 2017 and beyond. … But here’s what I think is lost to a degree: isn’t insuring this is a winning season really important for the Pirates? In regard to public perception, ticket sales, perhaps job security, etc. they need to win 90-plus games, no?

A club would have to knock the socks off the Fish to get Stanton

PR and the new ball park

Ain’t gonna happen, NH is too timid and too set in his ways

Honestly, I think he stays with what he has with one or two cheap pickups come trade deadline

24. Brendan says:

That’s a fair point. As you’ve no doubt perceived during your time in Pittsburgh, the Pirates have very little equity with fans (which is understandable). Informed by two decades of losing and perceived penny pinching, the inclination of the general populous is to take a dim of any move the Pirates make and to assume the Pirates will never never spend any money. There was a fairly broadly held view that the Pirates would never sign Andrew McCutchen to an extension, despite the increased draft spending and allocation of funds in Latin America. When they did sign him, there was a sizable sentiment that he would soon be traded. A Stanton trade would go on a long way to upending those perceptions.

Personally, my preference is for the Pirates to build an organization that can be perennial contenders, largely from within, supplemented by the additions via free agency and trades when it makes sense. That perspective doesn’t preclude me from endorsing a trade such as the proposed Stanton deal but it does cause me to approach it with some caution.

The front office has shown a fair amount of resolve and discipline over the past two years, not deviating from the course of building from within for short term positive PR. A Stanton trade–given his age and 3+ years of control–wouldn’t necessarily represent a departure from that methodology.
    But I would hope their willingness to make the trade would ultimately boil to sort of players they internally project Taillon and Polanco to be. In short if they’re stars they don’t trade them, if they don’t project them to be stars with certainty they seriously consider the move. This of course assumes an ability to accurately evaluate both players and their own players in general and I think on that count the jury is still out.

25. kr70 says:

talk all you want, it ain’t happening. BMT in baseball won’t give their best prospects away.

26. PopPopTS says:

People forget that Clemente had health issues, but I think it turned out okay for the Pirates.
    The Pirates should NOT wait until the July 31st deadline. They need to floor the Marlins with an offer NOW before a bidding war starts in July,

27. Brendan says:

why would the marlins do that when they can wait to the deadline? holding out until then gives them more leverage for a better return and potentially a healthier stanton (which would only serve to increase his value).

28. T.S. says:

No way do I make that trade for Stanton. In his young career, he’s already a DL stint waiting to happen. A bad omen. …Switch out Taillon and Polanco for other players along with Sanchez, then yeah (which wouldn’t happen), make the trade.

29. T.S. says:

Plus, Neal Huntington doesn’t have the balls to make a trade like that. Ain’t gonna happen.

30. Nate83 says:

6 years of control of Taillon, Polanco and Sanchez for 3 years of Stanton. I don’t see it for a team that has waited so long to not only compete this year but have the oppertunity to sustain having a competetive ball club. Years of control are so important for teams like the Pirates. I could see them using one of their top 5 and top on of their top 10 to pick up an impact bat that they have for this year and next but not giving up 2 prospects in the top 25 in all of baseball.

31. RobertoForever says:

Great discussion starter today, Travis. Enjoy these topics of discussion.

But how about that 13-inning game last night. Drove down to the game in Cincy. Hated that the 1stblown save was against the Reds. Wish I had gone down today for the day game, to see Daydro bust out on Homer.

Oh, and on your tweet notice today, bought some tix for Sunday’s game in WV to see Heredia’s debut. It will be my 8th low-A game, and 11th minor league game, on top of 6 major league games. Got great aisle seats right behind the Power’s dugout. Hope the weather is good.

Any chance you are headed to Charleston for a look?

32. Ron Vassel says:

There was an article 2 weeks ago on the same website by Mike Petriello arguing that the team that would be happiest in a Stanton deal is the one who didn’t make it because of injury concerns. The article goes on to remark that only 2 players of Stanton’s size (Frank Thomas and Adam Dunn) have had as many (more) plate appearances as Stanton already has. Since the start of the 2011 seasons, he’s missed 93 games including 40 games this year.

I want to the Pirates to be potentially good for years to come and would never give up 6 years of control for Taillon and Polanco for 3 years of an injury-prone special talent. That’s not how a small market team remains relative. Do you recall how everyone praised the Brewers for getting Sabathia for a playoff run? How did that work out for them?

33. JoeyBats says:

Great theortetical discussion about “THE TRADE” — but PLEASE …let’s deal in reality!
    1. In the penny pinching world of Bob Nutting he isn’t going to take on the financial $$$ package that it is going keep Mr. Stanton happy in 2014 and 2015. (…and what’s this talk about an extension? ….NOT in the world of Ebenezer Nutting?!!)
    2. Agree …..GM Neal (a) doesn’t have the balls to pull off this type of trade and/or (b) he always “values his own talent too highly” …so this package doesn’t have a chance of flying

34. longtimebucfan says:

A few points:

1 – The goal of a Nutting-led enterprise is to make a consistent, if perhaps smaller than it could be, profit.

2- Remember what Huntington said last year when fans were pining for Hunter Pence? He said the Pirates wouldn’t trade for a player who was in line for a big arbitration award as Pence was sure to be. Years of cheap control, not arbitration control, are SOP. See Cole, Gerritt.

3 – Good pitching beats good hitting almost every time. The Pirate starting staff in 2014
    right now is Rodriguez, Locke, Cole, Morton and ??? with Rodriguez having a lot of hard miles on him and possibly a bad elbow and Morton TJ surgery. You don’t trade a stud like Taillon with this kind of shaky starting pitching. There is no help, save maybe Pimentel, on the way from AAA.

35. KJX says:

I am all for attempting to get Stanton, but I would hope if this trade is attempted there would be an alternative to trading Tallion. I would give up two B-level pitchers with Polanco and Sanchez to keep Tallion. The Marlins seem to have little “on the farm” and maybe alittle more quantity could be given in order to “have our cake” with Tallion, and “eat it” with Stanton.

36. OldSchoolHunkie says:

Call me crazy, but I think Sanchez is the overlooked piece here. He’s looking pretty damn good this year… cost of replacing him next year and beyond has to be factored in as well.

37. Chico says:

There is no way Huntington should make this proposed deal.

Stanton is not only a huge injury risk but will be gone after 2016.

After Stanton is gone, the Pirates outfield should be Marte/McCutchen/Polanco as well as Cole and Taillon anchoring the rotation.

Not paying Stanton through his arbitration years, as well as Ace J and Wandy being off the books by then, should free up plenty of money to try and sign Alvarez before he can test free agency.

But it was a nice topic for discussion.

Travis…keep up the great work. Love the blog!

38. Travis Sawchik says:

Sanchez’s prospect stock has rebounded, agreed. Baseball America has him back in the Pirates’ top 10 prospects. The bat has improved; he’s stronger and using the whole field … concern has been with his throwing. He’s had a lot of throwing errors

Reese McGuire has a higher upside than Sanchez … but McGuire is probably three years away

39. Travis Sawchik says:

The Pirates are sacrificing a lot of team controlled years, but I think the majority of you are forgetting a couple things: most prospects fail to become stars, even elite prospects. Second, you can’t assume the Pirates are going to have an opportunity like this year’s again in two or three years down the road:

Burnett is a free agent this offseason, Wandy has an option

After next season, Jason Grilli, Francisco Liriano, and Russell Martin become free agents … Neil Walker and Pedro Alvarez will be becoming more expensive

40. Travis Sawchik says:

Ron,

Interesting points.

Stanton’s injuries (knee soreness & hamstring) due raise if not a red flag, a redish-orange one. Still, I’d wonder how many guy’s Stanton’s size have played Major League Baseball? What about McGwire? Similar size, long carer, albeit chemically aided. Injury would be my only real concern with Stanton the player. When he’s on the field he’s a unique talent.

As for the Sabathia trade, I think the Brewers would do it again. The gave up Matt Laporta (bust) and Michael Brantley in a deal for a guy who was lights out and helped them reach the postseason. It’s an example of how sure-thing prospects like Laporta sometimes aren’t sure things. And Sabathia was a three-month rental. Stanton is a 3.5 year investment.

41. Travis Sawchik says:

Thanks, Chico

I can definitely understand the rationale of saying ‘no’ to this hypothetical offer.

But – brace yourself for another John Hart reference – I’m pretty sure Hart would love to have said ‘yes’ to this offer back in 1997: Jaret Wright/Sean Casey/Brian Giles to the Expos for Pedro Martinez. If Hart pulls the trigger I think the Indians win a World Series or two with Pedro in his prime.

Taillon and Polanco might both be great. Odds suggest only one will become an above average regular, though.

But Stanton is great right now. And flys, even wild card or division title flags, fly forever.

42. Travis Sawchik says:

Re: importance of Pirates evaluating their own talent…

I’d be fascinated to know who they value more: Cole or Taillon.

I had a scout two weeks ago tell me he’d take Taillon.

43. Travis Sawchik says:

The Pirates love Taillon. They drafted him over Machado, so that says a lot right there….I know Rene Gayo is a huge fan of Polanco. Of course he’s biased, but he thinks all five tools are going to play in the big leagues. Internally, I think they’re both projected to be above average MLB players.

But I keep coming back to this: Taillon might be Josh Beckett. … Polanco might be the second coming of Dave Parker…. the Pirates might play .600 baseball again in 2015.

But Stanton is great right now and the Pirates are playing .600 baseball right now.

When Stanton’s healthy he’s one of the 10 most valuable assets in baseball considering youth/production/upside/team control.

I like unique players. The power is unique. And we are in an era where power has become a scarce commodity.

44. Jeff Z. says:

Bostoncommon i understand the points your making but i think the pirates are owned by Bob Nutting

45. Travis Sawchik says:

From John Perrotto’s On the Beat at Baseball Prospectus …. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20978

Scout on Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton: “There isn’t anyone who could command a bigger haul in a trade than this guy. I’d give up my whole farm system for him because you’re talking about a guy who is heading to the Hall of Fame, and his career is just getting started.”

46. James says:

Travis,

The hypothetical trade is a bad idea. Giancarlo Stanton can’t stay on the field. Stanton only played 123 games last year and missed time already this year. I can’t deny that Stanton is a great hitter, but the risk outweigh the rewards.

Three prospects for a guy who misses 20% of the season isn’t a good deal.

47. Big Russ says:

No way they mortgage years of success. Not going to happen.

48. Big Russ says:

The Pirates farm system is finally deep and talented. You give up 4 very good prospects for 3 and a half years. Or sometime In 2016, the Pirates trade him to the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox to add to the farm system. I still don’t see it happening. I do think a trade will happen for a lesser player and not as harsh on the farms system.

49. Another Travis says:

What frustrates me the most about the RF situation is Presley is not an All-Star, but I think if he played everyday he would hit about 15 to 20 HRs per year. He is NOT a leadoff hitter because he is too aggressive at the plate. They keep trying to make him a leadoff hitter because he is fast, and hold it against him that he is not (Not many guys in MLB are good prototypical leadoff hitters in MLB anyway).

Presley’s swing is very short, quick and level, unlike Snider, who as an uppercut swing that is great for tape measure HRs in batting practice and occasionally when he actually hits a HR in a game. Snider has one of the most inconsistent windup long swings I have ever seen (until he gets 2 strikes now and just tries to make contact and slap at the ball).

All things are relative and in my opinion Presley is better than Snider (but NH traded for Snider so that trumps Presley) and Tabata (but Tabata has the long term contract which trumps Presley).

They are at different positions, but I see Jones and Presley being very similar in that Jones had a dip after his first MLB season, the same way that Presley had a dip as pitching adjusts, but both Jones and now Presley were not given a chance to adjust back. Jones only got a second chance through injuries etc and I thought Presley was going to get a second chance due to Tabata being injured, but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

Same thing with Mercer vs Barmes. You can’t sit Mercer back down on the bench now if he goes 1 for 8 in his next 8 ABs. Bottom line NH appears to be a genious at evaluating pitching, but I don’t understand how he evaluates hitters and their odds of success based on their swing dynamics. He doesn’t seem to have a grasp of the art of evaluating hitters in MLB (during games are key not batting practice where guys like Snider look like superstars).

Put Presley in RF for a month and then if he fails, they need to get another RF bat at the deadline bottom line assuming they don’t give up the farm to get one.

50. Travis Sawchik says:

Thanks, Roberto.

Thanks for reading as always.

I’m not going to be able to check out Heredia today, but I’d love to get down there at some point this season. Enjoy

51. kekkil says:

I wouldnt want to lose Our best young future catcher in sanchez and dont forget polanco, no i wldnt di it maybe a mix with taillon

52. dale says:

That was the same argument they made for Upton last year. He was a 2 time allstar the same age as Marte. They said Upton was a proven player. If the bucs had pulled the trigger on that we would have Upton, Cutch and still be missing the lost piece in the outfield, We also wouldn’t have the quality starts from Cole. Polanco would be a great piece in hte trade because the outfield would be fixed for 3 years. Also if they would want 3 prospects at best I would add Herredia and sanchez. In 2 years we will regret not having Sanchez as our catcher though.
    On the other hand the other benifits is that not only would we get Stanton’s bat, but with him batting 4th, Cutch would see a lot more pitches.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle