Bucco Blog

Monday Mop-Up Duty: live updates from Orlando (Updated 5:45 p.m.) ….

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Good morning, folks. Today on the menu is a special edition of Monday Morning Mop-Up Duty as esteemed colleague Rob Biertempfel be providing live Pirates-related updates here today and in this e-space throughout Winter Meetings.

The Pirates enter the meetings with a well-established list of needs. They’ve been one of the quietest potential 2014 playoff contenders to date.

*The Pirates really need a first baseman, preferably one who hits left-handed to pair with Gaby Sanchez. James Loney is thought to be among the Pirates’ top targets if not their top target here in Orlando.

*The Pirates are still awaiting word from AJ Burnett, and if Burnett is unwilling to return at a discounted price they would like to add a veteran arm. Sorry pipedreamers but David Price is a longshot more because of his projected arbitration costs (at least $26 million over the next two seasons) than anything else, but I don’t think the idea should be completely dismissed.

*Pirates GM Neal Huntington has told me the club is comfortable with the idea of Jordy Mercer as an everyday shortstop, Huntington said that doesn’t mean the club will not look at upgrading or supplementing the position, however.

*I don’t think right field is considered a priority position of need and I don’t think the club is considering a platoon partner for Pedro Alvarez.

The Pirates have been relatively quiet this offseason but were connected to a name early this morning on the first day of Winter Meetings here at the Dolphin and Swan Resort.

9:58 A.M. UPDATE:

ESPN’s Buster Olney also reported the Pirates will meet with Arroyo’s agent.

Arroyo is a bit of a surprise target since he does not fill some criteria prized by the Pirates: he does not get many ground balls, he does not strike out many batters, and his value is not at buy-low status. He’s also allowed 104 home runs over the last three seasons, though he would be helped by a change of parks. But what Arroyo does off is he is a durable innings eater, he doesn’t walk anyone and he’s regarded as a great clubhouse presence. Perhaps he could give Gerrit Cole, guitar lessons.

Arroyo went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA (101 ERA+) and 1.15 WHIP in 202 innings across 32 starts last season. He thrown at least 199 innings in nine straight seasons.

Arroyo is reportedly seeking a two-year deal.

Here were his contract projections from CBSSports; Agent: 3 years, $36M.GM: 3 years, $30M. Me: 3 years, $35M.

I’ll be back with more updates later today so please check back.

- TS

10:53 a.m. UPDATE

Former Pirates right fielder Dave Parker was passed over by the Expansion Era committee for induction into the Hall of Fame. Parker was among a group of candidates who each received six or fewer votes. To get in the Hall, a candidate needed at least 12 of 16 votes from the committee.

Three former managers — Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre — were elected, all three unanimously. “It’s a stunner,” La Russa said of his election. Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement: “In careers of consistent excellence and incredible longevity, Bobby, Tony and Joe all left indelible impacts on our national pastime.  For decades, these three individuals not only led great ballclubs, but instilled in their teams a brand of class and professionalism that baseball fans admired.  It is fitting that Bobby, Tony and Joe will share our game’s highest honor together.”

The induction will be held July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y. Parker might get another shot at induction in three years, when the Expansion Era committee will next meet. Parker no longer is on the regular HOF ballot, which is voted upon by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

- RB

12:36 p.m. UPDATE

Cross Roy Halladay off any buy-low pitching wishlist you might have had. Halladay will retire after signing a one-day contract with the Blue Jays. Shoulder woes made for an abrupt end to the Halladay’s career.

- TS

12:56 p.m. UPDATE

Adam Lind had already been reported to be on the Pirates’ wishlist  but FOX Sports adds Logan Morrison‘s name to that list.

Morrison would make a lot of sense for the Pirates as a left-handed platoon partner who has upside. The Marlins signed Garrett Jones last week.

For his career Morrison has posted a .340 OBP and .446 slugging mark against right-handed pitching. But keep in mind he’s played in some awful home parks. And is a better road hitter (111 wRC+) than home hitter for his career (105), which is unusual.

-TS

1:16 P.M. UPDATE

If the Pirates want to leave Orlando with a big-ticket item, this guy is available

Andrus signed an 8-year, $120 million contract extension earlier this year, which is bit pricey for the Pirates but could also represent incredible value going forward.

- TS

2:11 p.m. UPDATE

I can confirm the Pirates contacted the Marlins last week about a possible trade for Logan Morrison, but my source described it as “mild interest, at least at this point.” No other names were tossed out, which would be the next step in setting up the framework for a trade.

-RB

3:17 p.m. UPDATE

One AL official believes the Pirates will try to deal from their bullpen surplus. Vin Mazzaro, Jeanmar Gomez, Stolmy Pimentel and Bryan Morris are out of club options.

5:45 p.m. UPDATE

Met with Neal Huntington a little while ago. The highlights:

*Right field is likely to be filled internally.

*Pirates are seeking first baseman, utility middle infielder and starting pitcher via trade or free agency. This list hasn’t changed since Oct. 10.

*The club is likely unwilling to sacrifice a draft pick for  a free agent who has received a qualifying offer

*Huntington said the Pirates are still talking to AJ Burnett, who has still yet to make a decision.

*The Pirates will not be signing Tanaka (who thought they were?)

*Huntington feels the Pirates have a surpluses with relief pitching, stating pitching and prospect arms.

-TS

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

Great idea, Travis. Kudos to the Trib for sending both you and Rob. He did a very good job last year.

Can’t imagine Arroyo is anything but a backup plan for if they don’t sign AJ or a first baseman, at which point, sure, go for it.

“That seems a bit steep to me. But if you’re willing to give Arroyo 10 per why not be open to paying Price … or Burnett?”

Well Price costs more than just money and do we know they’re not open to paying A.J. $10M+?

3. Travis Sawchik says:

True, but I wonder if Price’s prospect return expectation will be less than Shields’ not only because the Royals blundered in trading a top 10 prospect for two years of Shields but also because Shields was already locked into a contract, while not cheap 2y/22m, it at least provided cost certainty.

4. Travis Sawchik says:

Thanks, NMR. … Seems you could replicate Arroyo’s production with in-house candidates at minimum salary. His FIP over the last four years has ranged from 4.08 to 5.71. I also don’t see Arroyo as a guy possessing much, if any, upside.

5. BostonsCommon says:

Exactly, seems like spending money just to spend it… which doesn’t sound like NH at all. Doesn’t make much sense to me?

Certainly not.

I actually see Arroyo similar to James Loney in that regard, and there is value in “average” when your other options are decidedly less.

But unlike Loney, I do believe the Pirates have plenty of guys who can come close to doing what Arroyo could by himself, and at league minimum.

Sorry, hit send at the same time.

I absolutely disagree that signing Arroyo would be “spending money just to spend it”. Arroyo has clearly shown that he can be a sub-4 ERA, 200 IP starter in the National League. The Pirates would be insane to think he wouldn’t improve their rotation.

The question is whether or not that money can be spent elsewhere.

But if you’re the Rays, wouldn’t you argue for at least the same or more than what the Royals gave up for Shields? Even though the Royals arguably gave up too much, Price has been better over his career than Shields, has a Cy Young, and is generally viewed as a No. 1.

Completely agreed, 21.

It’s not like the Royals gave up a King’s Ransom for Shields. Myers was an excellent prospect, but excellent prospects get moved all the time.

The hoopla surrounding that trade had more to do with how much sense it made given the Roayls situation, not the prospect value itself.

10. Leefoo says:

Arroyo has a cool windup….other than that…. :)

—————

Foo

Be fair, Foo.

His hair is pretty cool, too.

Shall we let the Logan Morrison rumors begin?

13. Travis Sawchik says:

They have commenced. Seems like a pretty good fit, imo. He’s only 26 and has upside. Moreover, his production has been suppressed due to his home ballpark(s)

14. Nate83 says:

He has pitched in one of the worse parks for pitchers in the league and put up respectable numbers. How many current pitchers on the Pirates staff can you be confident of pitching 200 inning and a sub 4.00 ERA. 2 maybe 3. I have no problem with him being our 4th or 5th starter. 10 million per seemed high before this year but that is about what the going rate is this year and most pitchers getting that have many more question marks then Arroyo. He does have a few games a year where he gets shelled but he also gives you a lot of quality starts.

15. Nate83 says:

Yes but they replaced him with the guy we threw away. It seems odd to say our first base production was bad and then go out and get the guy replaced by that bad production.

And also maybe due to injuries.

17. Andrew says:

I agree with both above points, and will go further $11-12 million/year for a 4th starter could definitely better spent elsewhere.

18. Nate83 says:

I think you may like Shields better then I do and maybe that is why we have always been on the same side of the fence about that trade but still really far apart. I don’t believe Shields is that much more valuable then Fister and we saw what it took to get him with his cost being pay being lower. I’m not suggesting Shields could have been landed for small of a prospect return but something in between.

Or maybe we differ on Myers who I believe is about as sure of a thing as they come. I didn’t see a scenerio where he didn’t end up top 10 at his position for 10-15 year with his upside being top 5 MVP candidate every year.

Anyway we have to stop talking about other teams players. It upsets some of the other poster. :)

19. Foo says:

Nate…I am with you…we don’t want Jones, yet we’re willing to trade for the nut case who GJ is replacing?

Makes NO sense. Now Adam Lind, despite being a butcher at 1b would warm my foojoobies.

You know, I think I just realized where we may be differing. When I say Shields, I’m assuming we’re really talking about Price. I probably should’ve made that more clear.

I absolutely agree that Shields wasn’t worth what the Rays got for him, but I also believe David Price is a much better pitcher. One worthy of a prospect like Myers.

But I cannot comment any further on your comments until you describe the logic surrounding them, at which point I’ll unveil that I really like Dombkowski. Thats how this works, right? :)

This logic assumes Miami correctly identified Jones as the superior player, right guys?

What makes you confident in Miami’s front office?

22. Nate83 says:

Yes you have it correct. It only took us a few years to figure this here blog thingy out.

I agree Price is worth the deal given for Shields. Price is much more valuable then Shields for a team one player away. Wether or not the Royals had been one player away is an entire different discussion. going from a 78 wind team to an 82 win team made absolutely now sense at all in my opinion. If the Nationals, Braves or even a team like the A’s made that deal going into last year it would have made sense to me.

23. Nate83 says:

I’m confident they are not far enough off to make it logical to trade for Morrison. Maybe if he was a free agent I could see doing that but giving up a player or two to get him I would have to question. I”m sure it wouldn’t be any high prospect. Why not just re-sign Jones or see what Lambo could do for the minimum?

24. carisi_99 says:

Jones hasn’t had injury issues, and they may be looking for a more reliable option. Morrison looked like a star in the making until his injuries, and he is a much more consistent contact hitter with the same power potential as Jones. He is first year arbitration eligible, and his estimate is pegged at $1.7 this year. His on base skills and low strikeout rate seem like a pretty good fit at that price for this lineup.

“Why not just re-sign Jones or see what Lambo could do for the minimum?”

Why? Because Morrison may be the better player, which is the point of upgrading the position.

Let’s not forget we’re talking about an organization run by an owner who has meddled in roster decisions based on players speaking out against the former hitting coach. Morrison has let his thoughts be known before. Far from certain that signing Jones and trading Morrison is strictly a baseball decision.

26. Zack says:

Has there been anything about the Pirates being willing to give up some guys on the MLB squad? With all these crazy reliever signings Wilson and Watson could fetch more than you would think. I’d even give up Liriano for the right price (you know, getting blown away).

Think about Jones’ contract, as well. $2.5m in year 1, $5m in year two.

Team assumes very little cost if Jones is traded. I wouldn’t pack my bags if I were him.

28. Nate83 says:

I don’t know. He just doesn’t seem to be heading in the right direction since his good 2011 season. Although he seems to have increased his walks while lowering his strikouts over the last two years. Power number have gone down each year. If his defense is good enough I guess I would rather him and money spent on starting pitching then Loney for 3/35 million as long as we don’t have to give up much to get him. You guys convinced me or maybe I convince myself that solution for first base would be OK.

29. Nate83 says:

I personally wouldn’t even have to be blown away to trade Liriano. There is definately logic to getting pieces that are controllable and can complement what we think is on the way for 2015-2018. Nothing wrong with treading water this year and assembling more parts for those 3 or 4 years. The more cost controlled parts in place for those years the more money available to spend on 1 or 2 shiny new toys on the free agent market. We don’t get those type of toys very often.

30. B says:

Assuming he stays healthy, Morrison offers potential value with park adjusted value, but even so his defense will be a drag on that value. He’s not just below average — he’s a butcher and assuming he gets lion’s share of ABs against RHP, he’s more exposed than Sanchez. If you’re going to sacrifice D in a 1B platoon (even discounted importance of 1B D) it should be the RH bat, not the LH.

31. Zack says:

I really don’t know what the value would be on someone like Liriano, but I’m certain they could get back a strong return. Seems like Winter Meetings would be the best time to pull the trigger. Taillon and Kingham are close enough that he could be let go to make a more complete team for the next couple years. Maybe a corner infield prospect

I think the first thing a team has to do when looking at Morrison is determine how much his knee injury has affected him over the last two years.

Stability in a hitters lead leg is crucial to power transfer. Lead leg must be strong enough to anchor the body as the back knee drives forward and the torso rotates. Energy cannot transfer without.

Looking at some video from early 2011 and last years shows some pretty obvious swing changes. 2013 swing is generally much louder. Higher leg kick, larger hand load, and bat angle about 45 degrees toward the pitcher at the top of load. These are all actions hitters use to generate bat speed. They also make for a long and inconsistant swing.

If LoMo can get healthy and drop these bad habits, he’s absolutely worthy of trade.

A lot of times after knee surgeries, the doctors don’t want you lifting weights for a while. That could zap some bat speed.

34. Nate83 says:

I think he could get a good return. I’m just not sure how feasible it is to trade away a key part of last years team when the fanbase waited so long for a winning team. Especially if they do not resign AJ. tough trigger to pull for NH but he doesn’t seem to allow outside influences to cloud his decisions. It seems as if he always does what he feels is best for the long term success of the team. That is why I don’t see them trading for Price who would be a short term improvement. NH has said as much.

The good news is if for some reason we get a strong season from him this year but as a team are falling a little short he would still be valuable in a trade to somebody fighting for a playoff spot or looking for a piece to strengthen an already good playoff team.

35. NorthPirateFan says:

A “star in the making,” better option than Jones? Which Logan Morrison are you guys looking at because the one I see has never slugged over .500 in any major or minor league season and while is plate discipline in the minors was decent he’s not come close to replicating it in the majors. There’s absolutely nothing in his numbers, majors or minors, to suggest there’s upside or star potential in the guy.

IF Logan Morrison is NH’s idea of an upgrade at first base we’re in big trouble.

I think Neal tries to balance the short, medium and long term goals of the team and has made moves that try to balance the three. And I think there would be a long wrong with just treading water this year. You’ve got to just capitalize on last year with most of the players coming back and see if you can make the playoffs again.

Read an interview last week where Morrison admitted as much.

FWIW, Gaby Sanchez was in the same exact position last winter and rebounded very well.

38. Nate83 says:

Concerning the 3:17 update bullpen surplus is nice but I can’t see being of to much value to other teams to get much in return. It’s a nice piece to add to a trade in Vin, and Morris’s case but I would be reluctant to trade Gomez or Stolmy. I don’t look at them as bullpen surplus but instead very valuable pieces that can serve a number of different roles on next years team.

The problem is those are the two guys that would have the most value to other teams. Unless we sign AJ and another starter I wouldn’t give either of those guys away for improvements to the everyday lineup.

39. BostonsCommon says:

I would actually think they’d be more inclined to move Melancon or Grilli, and I would expect the return to be larger for those guys as well, given the success they’ve both had as the closer.

40. RobertoForever says:

Reading all the different baseball perspectives is awesome. Thanks Travis for putting in the work and foster great convos.

It also got me thinking. Nate83 just above espoused some great reasoning for trading Liriano (and maybe Grilli).

But they are only great reasons if the FO subscribes to that point of view. Somehow I feel that this FO has turned the page from trading good or great MLB pieces. But then they surprised me with the (excellent) Hanrahan trade.

I certainly have more faith this year in the FO, but I hate the waiting! Lol.

Would “I” pay Price if the trade package was palatable? Hell, yes! But I don’t think it will be. Would “I” trade Liriano if we got a solid with upside young guy SP (plus more based on Hanrahan trade). Of course!

I just hope there is something under the tree by Dec 25th. I hate talking down from the ledge those nervous, with adjusted expectations, Pirates fans for another TWO months. :)

You know another player who has never slugged .500 in the majors? Pedro Alvarez.

Slugging percentage is a terrible judge of power. Morrison posted an ISO of .221 in 2011 (.246 against righties). Pedro posted ISO’s of .223 and .240 during the last two years.

Morrison also has a career BB rate of 12% and K rate of 17% against righties, which are both above ML average.

42. Nate83 says:

Who said treading water means not making the playoffs again. I’m thinking more along the lines of what the A’s did last year. Which wasn’t much. This year they have been more aggressive. I’m not sure the proper couse of action is to start trading away future players for Price or something else like that. I don’t think that’s enough to put us over the top and into NL Champion conversations.

If the Pirates had the same exact team coming back that played last year I’m guessing the line would be set at them winning 87-89 games. You need to get about 8-10 more wins to be mentioned with the Cards, Braves, Nationals and Dodgers. That doesn’t come cheap or without harming your chances of competing in the future through trades or money available to sign free agents.

It’s easy too get excited after last year. It was awesome but I think the teams real window of competing at a very high level is 2015-2018. Trying to capatilize on a magical season would diminish their chances of that true window of oppertunity.

43. Steelkings says:

I think I started that rumor last week. It was part of my, What in the world does the Marlins want with Garrett Jones? Perhaps I can do an about face and ask Travis to rev up a Polanco for Stanton trade rumor. I’m thinking along the lines of Stanton and Morrison For Polanco, Taillon and Mazzaro. Run with it Travis…Run!

44. Nate83 says:

Agree Boston, and I actually would rather keep Stolmy and Gomez then either of those guys. We have internal options at closer. With Welker coming back I really feel like there are 4 or 5 backend bullpen options on the team including Stolmy. We could trade one of the two that have a lot of value to other teams and still patch together a really good bullpen.

45. Leefoo says:

We may get lucky on Arroyo. Apparently the Twins, who collect soft tossers like I collect age spots, are REALLY ‘keen’ on him.

As for LoMo, if he costs anything more than a Vinnie Mazz or Andy Oliver-like player, then I am all for Lambo at first.

46. Nate83 says:

Yes that walk and strikout rate are what changed my mind on him. I don’t mind him as option B but that is only if the money is used elsewhere to improve the team.

47. BostonsCommon says:

Welker isn’t going to see anything close to the end of a game this year unless the Pirates are about 15 runs behind. Hurdle’s been reluctant to put young guys in any high leverage situations. He finally let Watson close out a couple games this year and gave him some extra rope, but he was a guy in his third year with 100+ appearances, so its not like he was a green rookie.

I could see one of Grilli/Melancon going. But Hurdle would fight hard enough to keep one of his vets.

That’s what I thought this meant Nate:

“Nothing wrong with treading water this year and assembling more parts for those 3 or 4 years.”

That to me doesn’t look like trying to make the playoffs, but you’ve clarified that.

49. Nate83 says:

Travis is it possible to give us some insight on how other teams view the Pirates? You mentioned surplus of pitchers. Are the Pirates generally viewed as team with a good team now but a brighter future? Are they viewed as a difficult team to trade with? I’m always curious how they are percieved. We are kind of biased so it’s hard to judge sometimes.

50. Leo Walter says:

I wouldn’t think that you would want to block Pimental,Irwin,Cumpton or Locke with a guy like Bronson either Travis.

51. Steelkings says:

Yes Foo,
    I too am a huge believer in the Lambo dream! I’m almost certain he will hit bongs out of PNC.

52. Steelkings says:

Opps!

53. Leo Walter says:

Except that you would have to listen to the ” not enough spending,Nutting is cheap ” calls for a solid year Nate. I can hear/see it now. Certain members of the Pittsburgh TV & radio media would have a field day with that.

54. Leo Walter says:

Ok then Steel !! We know where your head is at…..

When I hear “butcher” I picture a guy who can’t catch the ball in front of him.

In that case, Morrison is not deserving of that title as his .996 fielding percentage shows.

His poor ratings come from a bad range factor (-9.3), and in a very small sample size (691 innings). For a bit of comparison, defensive guru James Loney posted a -7.0 range factor over his first 2367 big league innings.

Speaking of perception, does it look like the Mariners’ contingent got much sleep over the weekend?

57. Nate83 says:

My backend comment meant 8th and 9th inning. You may be correct about Welker. He might have the same role as Morris pitching in the 7th. They liked him enough to get him back after trading him so I definately think they see upside. It’s to bad they couldn’t get Black back. I was little higher on him then Welker.

58. Steelkings says:

Leo – Lambo lets just say, has another favorite pastime. Hitting Baseballs and hitting the skunk.

59. Leefoo says:

About the AJ situation:

Maybe AJ REALLY wants to keep playing, but REALLY wants to be with his family, also?

Family usually wins, so maybe we’re waiting on Mrs AJ to make a decision on whether she lets AJ play another year?

60. Nate83 says:

I bet they did because guys like that have no conscience. It doesn’t matter if 1000 out of 1000 people tell them they are wrong they still think their right. Some people like that actually welcome the idea of not being liked.

61. Leefoo says:

Steelkings………..lol

There was a time in my life, I would’ve been out in RF trying to catch those bongs, er ah…..

:) :) :)

62. Leefoo says:

Steel…Lambo is on the wagon….says he gave all that up and has re-dedicated himself.

Hence my enthusiasm. He has LOTS of potential.

63. Steelkings says:

AJ will announce a new 1 year deal with the Pirates at a presser December 14th. Just a guess.

64. Nate83 says:

Probably a lot more truth to this then we realize. Our better halves often make important decisions for us without us even realizing it. That’s probably a good thing. I would eat a Baconator everyday of my life for dinner if that decision was left up to me. Actually I would have pizza delivered on Sunday. That’s a day of rest so I’m not about to get off the couch and drive somewhere.

65. Nate83 says:

But what will be the amount be and if it’s a cent more then 14.1 how many post will there be asking why didn’t they just make the QO?

Which the obvious answer is they wanted to see how the rest of free agency went. If they spent some money they would try to get AJ for 11-12 million. Making the QO sets the floor. Why would you do that for a guy who already said he is signing with you or retiring.

66. Nate83 says:

Thanks Roberto, it’s nice to see you around again. This blog is probably closer to your style then the other one. Just good discussion with very little agenda behind the comments.

67. Steelkings says:

Have you seen Karen Burnett? Eventually AJ will get worn out.

68. Leefoo says:

lol!

69. Steelkings says:

1 year for 8 Million is my guess. NH will lure him back by telling him he can wear a batman mask when he pitches. And the pirates will have AJ Burnett dress like a zombie night as a promotion.

This. Is. Awesome.

71. Steelkings says:

As far as Arroyo goes. I watched him pitch the game in Cincy on the last weekend against the Reds. I dont think he threw a pitch over 82 MPH the whole game. Seriously, he threw a breaking pitch 70 MPH. That crap worked the first time through the line up. After that the Pirates unloaded like 6 BOMBS off him. The Reds fans were bitching about the lizard starting Arroyo before the game ever started.

NO THANKS on Arroyo!

72. Nate83 says:

8 million plus the profits from the mask and any STFD T-shirts sold. We also sign Barmes and he is allowed to yell at him once a month.

73. Andrew says:

Yeah 670 innings is not enough to evaluate I guy’s defense based on numbers, and remember that knee. I read it was a patellar tendon issue both times, if it affected affected his swing it certainly affected his defense. A former top prospect, seems to fit the Huntington target player, a bet on health for a cost controlled player is not the worst move.

And butcher, I just envision Tiger’s 2013 corner infielders.

74. Steelkings says:

If memory serves me correctly. Walker hit two BOMBS and just missed a 3rd. McCutchen hit one. Alverez hit one. Martin hit one, and Byrd knocked one out. It was seriously like batting practice.

75. Nate83 says:

The lizard!!!!! That is funny. I’ve never head him call that, but he does look like he could get work as the Geico Lizard. Maybe him and Flo can go at it. He could have one of his pitchers throw at her.

76. Steelkings says:

Actually it may have been Lambo who hit the Cannon bong I gave Martin credit for.

77. Steelkings says:

There were these two guys 2 or 3 rows next to the Reds bench in Sarasota. They were drinking and giving ole Dusty the business. Dusty egged it on by scratching his head with his middle finger in their direction which only made it worse. One of the two spring breakers said; ” Look at him flick his tongue in and out like a Lizard. He’s the Lizard ! Hey Lizard man!” At this point, Adam Dunn (That’s how long ago this was) sprayed what ever he was drinking all over the dugout. It was hysterical. He will be forever known to me as the Lizard.

Welcome home, Foo

79. Foo Man Chewing,

My Dad said he was on the wagon —— said he gave that all up and rededicated himself.

He had lots of potential.

Don’t hold your breath!

80. Mr Ed says:

Is Karen Burnett a hottie?.

81. Mr Ed says:

The Pirates should take a flyer on Bartolo Colon for one year and 8-9 Mil. Sign Michael Morse to platoon at first and in right. I would much rather have Morse in right than Tabata. Would love to see NH put.him in a package and deal him. He’s had 3 years to prove himself, and he does not posses enough power for a corner bat, and is a terrible clutch hitter.

82. RobertoForever says:

haha, yes and with my work schedule, I can read the important stuff and stay out of the personal stuff.

Love reading y’all’s input. Good stuff. Really good stuff.

83. Steelkings says:

@ Groat…Ha Ha Ha !

84. cmat0829 says:

Great reporting Travis, really appreciate the detailed updates on the activities in Orlando.

Seems to me NH has it about right in terms of his priorities (1B, utility infielder and starting pitcher) AND what we’d be trading away (bullpen, prospect arms)… and it seems he is leaning more toward trade market than FA (and the FA market has been inflated to this point)….

If I were predicting, I could see the Bucs trade for Morrison (package of Josh Harrison plus a bullpen arm or prospect, but not top tier)… but I won’t predict. Hoping for more than that at 1B, so we’ll see.

85. Steelkings says:

I will be smacked around for this, but this is playing out to be a situation where Josh Harrison is becoming an untouchable Pirate. He is the only utility infielder left. Unless you count Chase D’arnaud. Look at it this way. Did Barmes value go up after every other free agent SS not named Drew signed? Somehow some way the Pirate front office has come to believe that the value of the American dollar has come way down because Clint Hurdle and Ray Searage are nice likeable guys. I’ve said all along that an agents cut of “I like him” is negligible.

86. Steelkings says:

In fact I’m sort of surprised that Barmes isnt already off the market. Minnesota and Houston (we have a problem at shortstop) both have players who both dont hit and are error machines. You can survive one or the other but you cant have both. Both teams have up and coming prospects who need a player to bridge the gap. Its only a matter of time before someone snatches him.

87. Clemson Travis,

Thanks for the update on Wandy. Been wonderin’.

Actually I’ve seen her from about 5 feet away!

Travis, I was wondering if there has been anything clear on exactly what Wandy’s injury is/was. I know that Wandy said that Dr. Andrews said arthritis however Huntington kept saying flexor tendon strain throughout September.

Really don’t see how the team CANNOT bring Clint Barmes back. Asking for disaster.

I think a healthy Wandy is terribly important to this staff.

92. Andrew says:

Ken Rosenthal: Three execs don’t see fascination with Trumbo, citing low OBP, streakiness, struggles vs. RHPs in ’13. Two compared him to Mark Reynolds.

I hope Huntington is one of those three.

93. Paul Janish!

More range, same wilted bat.