Happy UFA Day, kiddies. Fourth update:
• Still not a lot of buzz from Penguins. Again, I remind that GM Ray Shero has said he would not reach to fill a hole, adding that he had a list of the “type” of players, but would be willing to wait.
• I’ve been in touch with several Penguins regarding former teammate Marian Hossa’s 12-year deal at $5.5 million annually with Chicago. The lack of interest by these players is the surest sign yet that they’ve moved on.
• The longer this day goes without the Rangers spending some of their available money, the more, I’m told, they’ll be in play for D Rob Scuderi. Minnesota is still considered the front-runner. Dallas was in the mix early; no word on the Stars of late.
• It appears more likely that if the Penguins lose Scuderi they will try to bring back D Hal Gill on a one-year deal.
• I can’t confirm internet speculation that the Penguins are shopping LW/RW Pascal Dupuis. Two weeks ago I spoke with a Penguins official who talked of needing to give Dupuis a chance to produce more next season. Dupuis has two years left on a deal and counts $1.4 million annually against the cap.
• Word is there is a list of at least five clubs seriously interested in RW Mike Knuble, including the Penguins.
Chipped Ice is your spot for details, but for quick shots check me out at: Rossi_on_pens