Chipped Ice

2010 FA Day 1: Fifth update

— Want your thoughts (hockeyday@tribweb.com), but I love the signing of D Zbynek Michalek to a four-year deal worth $20 million, with a limited no-movement clause.

I identified him in today’s print story—- http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_688427.html — and he is, essentially, a defensive-minded D man with big upside at 27, somebody that can block shots and who possesses a decent outlet pass.

This doesn’t mean the Penguins are out of the free-agent market with slightly more than $7 million in remaining camp space. I’m told they are still in on D Paul Martin (as of 1:27 p.m.). He is seeking a five-year deal.

Pens also have offers on the table for D Dan Hamhuis — and he if he wants to play in Pittsburgh, he better hurry — and W Ray Whitne. Hamhuis would be long-term. Whitney, I hear, is two-year offer.

Like I’ve been saying, Pens had a plan to regroup if they lost out on D Sergei Gonchar and/or Hamhuis, and they’re moving on it.

Author: Rob Rossi

Rob Rossi has covered the Penguins for parts of every season that Sidney Crosby has played in Pittsburgh. So, since 2005. He has led the Trib's NHL coverage since 2007, when he became the primary Penguins beat reporter. He joined the Tribune-Review in November 2002. Rossi, 35, is local chapter president of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association. He also dabbles in radio, as ClearChannel's "Penguins Insider," and TV, as "NHL Insider" for Root Sports Pittsburgh, and as a semi-regular contributor to The Final Word, a Sunday sports show that airs on WPXI. In 2012, Rossi was recognized nationally by Penn State's John Curley Center for Sports Journalism for his coverage of youth sports for a Trib series that investigated concussion protocol. In 2013, he teamed with Carl Prine for an investigative piece about athletes' charities what was honored regionally. A graduate of West Virginia University and Keystone Oaks High School, Rossi was raised in Crafton and Green Tree and currently resides in Brookline. He is currently working on the authorized biography of Evgeni Malkin. Follow him on Twitter: @RobRossi_Trib

Comments

1. Joe says:

Great pickup! Defensive blue liners are definitely a huge need after giving up 3 goals or more in most of their playoff games. Now, if they could get a more physical D than Michalek and possibly bring back Eaton too, they will be all set.

Scuderi has finally been replaced, now we need to replace Gill. As for wingers, we lost Fedotenko and Guerin. I know we might land Whitney, but who else might be thrown in as a second winger?

2. Frank says:

Pens sign Martin

3. espo33 says:

I like the signing of Michalek, might be a little too much, but still good. He is a much better player then Scuderi. I don’t see how they can sign Hamhuis though.

Paul Martin for 5 years is nuts.

4. espo33 says:

$5M for $25M? That is way too much for Martin. Come on. I guess he is playing with Orpik on the top pair, Letang with Michalek and Gols with Lovejoy?

They have no room for anyone else now except maybe Guerin for $1M on Crosby’s line with Kunitz, then have Staal with Malkin and Dupius, Cooke with Kennedy and Letestu (or Talbot), then Rupp with Adams and Godard.

5. Edward H. says:

Still bugged that we gave up a 3rd for nothing, essentially. But couldn’t be happier with the two the Pens DID sign: Michalek AND Martin. What a day to be a Pens fan, and what a day for Ray Shero.

6. Mario Lopez says:

Well i guess Martin’s signing signals end to Hamhuis. By my math, thats $9 million on 2 D men, leaving what around $2million for smal pieces… does this spell a reunion of STAAL & GENO… or does shero have a few trades up his sleeve to free up some money, I would like to think Dupuis & Godard are expendable…both going into last yrs of there deals….

7. harp says:

Martin for 5M a year is way too much. He puts up a fraction of what Gonchar did the last few years for the same price. This leaves them with nothing for wings except some from their minor’s unless they swing a trade but I don’t see that happening either.
    They have zero to acquire Hamhuis now so the gamble did not pay off. I would have rather of seen Hamhuis then Martin. 26 goals in 6 years is a joke, Letang can do better then that and for less money.
    I hope Shero has a trick up his sleeve.

8. Gary Curci says:

I think the signings were great and much needed. I know it dosen’t leave much left but you need defense.

9. steelcity says:

we are really upset that we landed Martin??? are you kidding me

10. harp says:

I counted all the players who they have not signed who were FA’s and their salaries and come up with 15.5M total. If you take the signings of today they should have 6.5M left?
    As it stands now Guerin probably will not be back and you have to fill in Poni and Fed’s. Godard, although handy once in awhile is really not needed unless they are going to play him on the 4th line every game, otherwise trade him towards a decent winger.
    If Tangradi is brought up then only two wingers or one good winger and another from their minors.

11. Jim Duron says:

Love the moves, NJ reporters thought Martin would get around 6.5 so he took less to play with the Pens. He is a really good two way D-man. Z gives a solid stay at home guy who can also get the puck out fast via chipping or passing.

12. Jim Duron says:

I think the pens will be OK with the wings but would not mind them doing some trades to get a winger if one is available, maybe trading Kennedy he doesn’t play special teams and is margin able at best.

MAF is the big over paid guy to me. Very inconsistent goalie.

13. espo33 says:

steelcity-I think the thought is $25M for 5 yrs is too much for Martin and we didn’t get Hamulias and wasted the pick. I think he is pretty good, but that amount seems high for a guy that doesn’t score much. Maybe it is the system in NJ and he liked what he did for the US in the games. Pair him with Orpik and we will be fine. Then Letang and Michalek as the 2nd pair and that is pretty good. Looks like Martin/Gols on 1st PP unit and Letang/Lovejoy on 2nd PP unit with a L/R on both units.

Overall pretty good, we just didn’t fix the forwards yet. Hopefully they have a little bit of change to convince someone to jump ship to play with us.

14. D says:

Espo – Martin was hurt for the games and did not play. He was expected to be a key piece to the roster and was all but named to the team during the early part of the 2010 NHL season. However he never played.

Other Blogs
Sports: Dejan Kovacevic | Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | Sitting Ringside | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | H.S. Sports Insiders