Chipped Ice

Back at it, and some belated thanks.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Greetings, dear readers, from Consol Energy Center, where C EVGENI MALKINhas returned to practice. He has skated during the session on a fourth-line slot. He hasn’t played since Jan. 18, because of a sore left knee and a sinus infection. C SIDNEY CROSBY (concussion) is not practicing. He is expected to miss a 10th straight game Tuesday at the New York Rangers.

= A personal note: My colleague Josh Yohe and I have tried to keep at “Chipped Ice” more this season than in campaigns past. We went dark last week, including nothing from the All-Star Game at Carolina. That was on me. My trip to Raleigh was scrapped because my grandmother, the late Jean May Oliverio, passed unexpectedly last Tuesday morning. Her death was the latest of three to hit my Mom’s family since July, and in between there have been some other big issue with which we’ve had to deal. Many readers reach out last week via social media or email to extend condolences. I appreciated every one of those kind thoughts, as did my family.

We are headed into trade-talk season with the arrival of February, and I promise that anything credible — at least two independent sources — I hear on that front will find its way into the blog between now and the deadline.

Again, to so many of yinz guys, thanks for keeping me and my family in mind last week. Just those few words meant a lot.

Cheers,

Rossi

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Author: Rob Rossi

Rob Rossi is the lead sports columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. He has been called many names, but “Rossi” is the one to which he most often responds. He joined the Trib in November 2002 and was promoted to the columnist role in July 2014. Previously, he had covered the NHL’s Penguins (2006-14) and MLB’s Pirates (2006), while also working on beats associated with the NFL’s Steelers (2005-06) and the NCAA’s Pitt (2004-06). He has won national and local awards for his coverage of youth concussions and athletes’ charities. Also, he is a member of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association executive committee and the Pittsburgh chapter chair. Raised in Crafton and Green Tree and a graduate of West Virginia University, he has covered a Super Bowl, All-Star Games in baseball and hockey, the NCAA basketball tournament and over 100 Stanley Cup playoff games, including the Cup Final twice. Oh, and his sports reporting has led him to brief chats with Mick Jagger and Bruce Springsteen; so that’s pretty cool. He is a regular contributor on TV with WPXI, Root Sports Pittsburgh and TSN. Also, he is the authorized biographer of Penguins star Evgeni Malkin.

Comments

1. Mike says:

My condolences. My Dad passed away this month after a bout with cancer. Hang in there.

2. OneTimer says:

OK. I don’t know how other Pen’s fans are feeling, but several of us are feeling that the Penguins Organization is starting to have serious credibility issues with us.

First, was all the run around with Jordan’s hand.
    Second, was Sid’s concussion. The Pens staff said they did not evaluate Crosby for a concussion after the Winter Classic. Then they say he reports symptoms before, during and/or after (depending on who you read) the Tampa game, yet they again fail to test him for a concussion, and instead fly him to Montreal, and would only evaluate him if his symtoms “remained the same upon waking” at which time they then fly him back home to THEN diagnose a concussion. Which Bylsma described as ‘mild.”

So what happened to Bylsma’s “very mild concussion” and “really don’t think this will linger” “maybe a week” report regarding Crosby when he was in Montreal? Seems like this is WAY more than a mild concussion.

Now, thirdly, the Pens are reporting Malkin is missing going on 14 days with head pressure from a sinus infection? Did the infection turn into a brain infection? Did Malkin also have a concussion? No way this is a regular sinus infection creating this type of off time.

Just not sure fans are getting the full story. Maybe we don’t need to hear all the details, but the way information is being presented, I think it really makes the Pen’s organization look bad.

3. sparf says:

hang in there bro…

4. Roy says:

Rossi

May your Grandmother rest in peace. I hope your memories
    of her keep you connected to her in the days ahead.
    My prayers are with you and your family.

5. ricey says:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

6. (My condolences Rob.)

As for OneTimer’s post, points well taken. The only thing we know for sure is that #87 didn’t have a

7. nellieh says:

One Timer is right about conflicting and sometime ambiguous reports on injuries. The Pen’s management doesn’t have to release information but what they do release should be accurate and true. If they don’t want to release detailed information so be it. I think what they should do then is keep it to upper body and lower body. It keeps everybody wondering and just getting speculation from wtiters but it won’t lead to them giving out inaccurate or untrue information.

8. pgbruiser says:

@ OneTimer

I agree with you that Crosby should have been evaluated for a concussion after the Steckel hit at the Winter Classic. Not after the game,but in the locker room right after the hit happened. They definitely dropped the ball on that.

What I don’t get is the complaining about not being told the truth, all the truth and nothing but the truth when it comes to injuries to the Penguins players.

Who cares?

Does it really matter if you know what there injuries are or the exact timetable to expect the injury to progress? Do you think that YOU knowing the exact nature of each and every injury on the team is going to make those players heal any faster?

All you need to know is whether or not Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and whoever else is going to be ready to go come playoff time. Other than that, what they tell you doesn’t mean SH**.

If you don’t go to a Pens game or watch a game on TV just because one of the big 3 aren’t playing than you are what they call a bandwagon fan.

BUT,,

If you are just an impatient nebnose fan that gets his kicks from constantly complaining? You are what is called a fellow Pittsburgher.

9. OneTimer says:

PgBruiser.. clearly you did not read my post to the end, as I conclude with “Maybe we don’t need to hear all the details, but the way information is being presented, I think it really makes the Pen’s organization look bad.”

10. stan capper says:

Sorry for your family’s losses and other stresses. Kudos for your ability to prioritize. Here’s hoping you’re back at it in full swing soon. I wish Chipped Ice was a daily feature, or even updated more than once daily. I love your work. We just need more of it! Hang in there, buddy.

11. Shawn says:

Rob,

Just like Sid…take all the time you need.

12. Lisa says:

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

13. Lisa says:

I did want to make a comment about Sid and his concussion: and to agree with OneTimer. Sid has not played for over a month now. This is NOT a mild concussion. Don’t think the Pens organization handled it very well from day one.
    That being said, I hope Crosby will be back on the ice soon and we can all move forward. That’s all that matters now–Sid being healthy and at 110%. Please Sid come back to us soon.

14. #4Orrfan says:

I’m sorry to hear of you loss. We fans send our prayers and condolences.