A good morning (skate) to the Dear Readers…
= Penguins lines/pairings from the AM practice
= Injury Update
- Coach Dan Bylsma said there were no updates; a reminder of the latest:
- D Kris Letang (lower body) skated on his own Tuesday, his third day of that activity. There is no timetable for his return to practice.
- RW Matt D’Agostini (lower body) did not practice Tuesday. Bylsma has said D’Agostini could resume practicing around Oct. 16 or 18. The Penguins play at Philadelphia on Oct. 17.
- RW James Neal (upper body) did not practice Tuesday. He is week-to-week.
- D’Agostini and G Tomas Vokoun are on the long-term injury list.
= Watch for This n’At
- As of 11:30 a.m., the Penguins were taking to their official Twitter account to alert fans that seats were available for the Student Rush program. The Penguins leave around 500 seats per game for are students. The franchise has played before 288 consecutive home sellouts, dating to Feb. 14, 2007.
- Bylsma said he was “shocked” by Philadelphia’s firing of Peter Laviolette.
“I have reached out to him,” Bylsma said.
Laviolette is an assistant coach for the United States’ 2014 men’s Olympic team. Bylsma is the head coach.
- Bylsma described himself as a “real big fan” of Carolina D Justin Faulk.
“He can really hum the puck, shoot it well,” Bylsma said. “But he’s a guy that can play in all situations as well. I’ve been a fan of him long before becoming the U.S. coach. With his skating ability and shot, he’s a factor.”
He is about the only factor for the Hurricanes’ defense.
- The Hurricanes are the rare team than can seriously challenge the Penguins’ 1-2 punch of Cs Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. The Hurricanes’ Staal brothers – Cs Eric and Jordan – can possesses the puck and are strong around the cage. Carolina will present the stiffest challenge yet to the Penguins, who contained well in their own zone in wins over New Jersey and Buffalo last week. The Staals can prove overpowering down low, which could open up shooting lanes for skilled Hurricanes wingers such as Alexander Semin, who plays with Eric, and Nathan Gerbe, who plays with Jordan.
= The Read
- G Marc-Andre Fleury has a new approach this season, as Josh Yohe reports: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4843211-74/fleury-penguins-approach#axzz2h9D1kfdt
= Hear Here:
Pre-game TV/radio hits:
Rossi: TV: Root Sports Pittsburgh Pregame Show. RADIO: Penguins HD Radio/TribLive Radio with Brian Metzer (5:20 p.m., http://sportstalk.triblive.com), the Mark Madden Show (5:30 p.m., 105.9-FM).
Be Excellent to each other,