Source: Pirates acquire catcher McKenry

McKenry

McKenry

The Pirates have acquired catcher Mike McKenry in a trade with the Boston Red Sox, according to a source a few minutes ago. This has not been fully confirmed, and I don’t have any other information at the moment.

McKenry, 26, has played six games in the majors. He was batting .280 with a .370 on-base percentage, three home runs and 12 RBIs in 28 games this season for Class AAA Pawtucket.

This is McKenry’s official page.

UPDATE 11:52 p.m.: The Red Sox will receive a player to be named later or cash from the Pirates in this trade. The team just made an official announcement.

Also, catcher Wyatt Toregas was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man and 25-man rosters for McKenry.

1:33 a.m.: Here is the final story for the Trib’s Web site.

Comments

1. JMB says:

Looks like the Red Sox got him from the Rockies for some RP in March.

I cant see giving up much for him.

Thanks Dejan,

I was talking to my son a bit ago, you had to know they were going to make some kind of move

Maybe it was for Matt Diaz : }

Nice scoop

3. JMB says:

from mlbtr:

“McKenry, 26, hit .265/.328/.424 in 384 plate appearances at Triple-A Colorado Springs last year, catching 94 games. He’s thrown out 37% of attempted thieves in his minor league career and is said to have good intangibles as a catcher. ”

“High energy backup.”

JMB, nice investigation.

Diaz, IMHO would not be much

Ok, that guy sounds interesting. Diaz, + 3 million, plus I will throw in the rights to my PG+ subscription?

Good tidings all

15 places signed in,

Bucs will get em tomorrow

7. Dave says:

According to baseball-reference he spent a little bit of time in the majors with Colorado in 2010

8. Playoffs by 2012 says:

So who gets sent down, Dusty or Wyatt?? Or does this guy go straight to AAA? Also, did Ascanio clear waivers??

9. DARYLETHEPIRATEFAN says:

I love the effort from the FO!!!!

10. JMB says:

I’m waiting to see who we gave up, but I like this acq.

11. JMB says:

Epstein still owes us for Bay, so maybe we are just going PTBNL.

12. DARYLETHEPIRATEFAN says:

Other site has no mention of a trade!!! Shut ut down already !!! Pg plus doesn’t giv a damm!!!

13. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Daryle: DARYLE!

14. nahcllib says:

PG is quickly becoming irrelevant

15. Another Mc to add to The “Mc” Effect!

16. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Dejan,

Is he going to be with the PBC or down to AAA? Also, any word if Ascanio cleared waivers?? Thanks boss.

17. BuccoMike says:

McKenry if the trade is done will be heading to Pittsburgh, and Dusty Brown will back up and Toregas to AAA.

18. JERSEY JOKE says:

Sounds like a gathering is in order.

19. BuccoFla says:

Is this their returning the favor we did for them by giving them Jonathan Van Every last year when their whole outfield was hurt?

20. FormerSoxFan says:

From soxprospects.com:

“Scouting Report: Stocky physique. Makes average-to-below average contact, but shows solid on-base skills. Decent power. Strong defensively, and very good at throwing runners out. Calls a good game.”

Sounds like at least a marginal improvement over Brown/Torregas. Seems like a decent move assuming the Pirates didn’t give up much.

21. JoeBucco says:

Buccos deal Alex Presley to acquire him.

Just kidding, call off the dogs. I totally made that up. But if I wake up in the morning and it is true, I feel sorry for whatever is within reaching distance of me which is light enough to throw. :)

22. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@BuccoFla

Good point, I hadn’t thought about that. Would be nice if that was the case.

23. Hunter says:

Hopefully a nice stop-gap. It has to be better than the alternative.

24. FormerSoxFan says:

PTBNL or cash according to the Pirates’ official Twitter feed. Torregas DFAed.

25. JoeBucco says:

Off topic, but Justin Wilson won again for Indy today. For all the talk about Brad Lincoln and Rudy Owens, Wilson is 8-3 on a sub-.500 team and putting up good numbers. I guess I knew he was doing well, but wow, that’s pretty good.

26. Mason says:

Joe, Indy is one game above .500. 33-32 : )

27. MrB says:

Well done then to Huntington on this transaction…

…I can’t believe I just typed those words.

28. I have linked to your website on my front-page on top of the right side bar. I believe that my audience would find this blog beneficial – Many thanks, Editor of Kezanari

29. JoeBucco says:

Good catch Mason. I knew they were getting closer, but thought they were still a bit under. That John Bowker acquisition was huge!

30. Bill Kruse says:

Duke Nukem Forever is gaining bad reviews but the reviewers, in my view, miss the point of the game. It’s retro and it’s deliberately supposed to be. It satisfies a nostalgia which gamers have that reviewers apparently don’t. So frack’em!

31. Noel Hazouri says:

Hi, Last evening I’d been watching Sex in the City and I noticed a Louis Vuiton bag I want to know if everyone be familiar with where I can get a Louis Vuitton totally free or discount codes. Thanks a lot

32. Hi,thanks for your post and luckly to comment in your site!Nowadays, Oakley sunglasses are among the the the world’s greatest brands.Off this EP is the track Palaver, written, arranged and produced by Ify. Just got my Tru-Spec (ACU-CUT) Woodland and DCU camo, and so far I love em. If you’re interested in making your own perfume for individual use or for a small business, it is first important to understand the difference in terminology. Experts inform us that Ray ban sunglasses contacts will will should be mtkhfsrc appropriate adequate to cater the altering lighting all through the morning in purchase the fact that sports activities actions person’s eye balls are harmless and he will obtain the apparent acuity.

33. Tony Gurley says:

I realize that it is a matter of opinion, but I honestly believe that it would be better to have pharamacies located within the Office of the Doctors themselves.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back