On location: Indians 5, Pirates 1

CLEVELAND — One hour to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (35-34) vs. Cleveland Indians (37-31)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: Progressive Field, Cleveland

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 76 degrees, pretty nice night

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Carlos Santana, 1B
  5. Shin-Soo Choo, RF
  6. Orlando Cabrera, 2B
  7. Austin Kearns, LF
  8. Jack Hannahan, 3B
  9. Lou Marson, C

I am here in Cleveland and will be posting up here occasionally, as time allows. I also have a column to write tonight on deadline, so it might not be much.

Feel free to use this as a discussion forum, as always.

To hold you over, here is a video I shot this afternoon that tells you a little bit about why Joel Hanrahan is one of baseball’s best closers. You will hear on there that Hanrahan really hates running, but you will see that he more than makes up for it.

And below is a pic of the Indians’ BP a bit ago …

And below is a shot from East 4th Street just now, as I walked right through all these really neat restaurants to get to the Starbucks on the other side.

It’s a pretty neat place, all-around. Not what most think.

UPDATE 7:06 p.m.: First pitch from Carlos Carrasco to Tabata, 76 degrees.

7:17: Strange play by Paul Maholm there. Not sure why he didn’t throw to second. Had all day to get Sizemore in a force.

7:20: And it comes back to haunt him, as Sizemore scores the game’s first run on a sac fly. It’s early, but Maholm already looks a little out of sorts.

7:23: A hit batsman, walk, single and just one run? I’m sure Maholm will take it.

7:25: Entire sections of the outfield upper decks are unoccupied, as you can see in my pic up there. Kind of surprised by that. Saw more Pittsburghers on the streets than last night, but it’s no invasion. (And really, people, does anyone own any Pirates jersey other than Clemente jerseys, with all due respect?)

7:26: Here comes the Legend, perhaps on the verge of seeing more time at first base. (More on that in my column tomorrow morning.)

7:41: Starting to see better action on Maholm’s sinker now. Think he’ll be OK.

7:42: Nice little pick by Harrison there at third. I’ve yet to see the defensively deficient version of Harrison. That’s to the credit of the development staff, I’m sure.

7:44: Sizemore doubles off Overbay’s glove for an RBI and a 2-0 Cleveland lead. Would have been an above-average play by Overbay.

7:50: Man, this team can be tough to watch on offense.

8:07: See my post at 7:50 for the latest. Carrasco has a no-hitter through four.

8:14: Have I mentioned that Carrasco has a NO-HITTER?

8:21: Can’t remember the last time my little hex failed. Oh, well, Carrasco has a NO-HITTER through five now. And the Pirates look just lost at the plate.

8:32: McKenry’s single ends the no-hitter, a line drive that leaping second baseman Orlando Cabrera was able to bring down. To the official scorer’s credit, he made the call of a single quickly and emphatically. And it was the right call.

8:37: The Mets just appealed the ruling on McKenry’s single, I am told.

9:35: Another game, another offensive dud. In tomorrow’s column, I’ll be calling on the front office to step up and do its part.

Comments

Jones to 4 and Walker to 5, wonder how that will work out.

Two pitchers with long scoreless streaks, so low scoring game or both give up some early runs?

3. Keith Hadley says:

Time for some more run support for Maholm. Pittsburgh dominance!

4. CDBrewer says:

@DK

So which stadium/stadium area is Jacobs/Cleveland most like?
    San Diego (not weather, bu relation to Gas Lamp District)?
    Denver (that shot made me wonder)?
    Baltimore (revitalized are outside park)?
    Maybe one I am not thinking of…

Is Jacobs top third of stadiums now?

5. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Hm. Not sure, CD. The city is like Cincinnati, but the Reds’ ballpark is off the beaten path. This is much better in both regards.

It’s just nice. I think I’ll leave it at that. Always really liked this ballpark. Way ahead of its time.

6. CDBrewer says:

Goon enough, and thanks.
    The wife has a much greater desire to get to that one (I think because I have been to Cleveland before, albeit not the park), but your rec certainly warrants setting up a trip through – next summer hopefully.

7. Bucco Fan For Life says:

Evening All! I want a win tonight! Hopefully I get my wish, GO BUCS!!!

8. JMB says:

35-34 / 259 runs scored / 3.75 a game / Pirates are currently looking at 608 runs scored for the season (scored 587 last year).

We need to score some runs tonight!

9. CDBrewer says:

@ JMB

I don’t want to seem lazy by asking, but how are teams that have similar records compared to last year doing with runs/game?
    I would imagine offense is down around, so our increase is a little better than it looks…
    Not like the offense s holding up its end, but more to the point it isn’t just a Pirate problem.

10. CDBrewer says:

@JMB
    At the end of the day, your point is well taken, we need to score more.

11. JMB says:

good pts @CDB.

I dont know…

12. Bucco Fan For Life says:

8 pitch first

13. JMB says:

@CDB

For one pt of comparison, the Brewers have scored 311 this season. They are on pace for 710 runs, and they scored 750 last yr.

Maybe our offense isnt as bad as it seems!

14. CDBrewer says:

@JMB
    I think you are right, it is still really bad…but kinda like we’ve agreed before, this year is about progress and our offensive improvement might be inline with that 73 wins we’ve talked about.

15. JMB says:

It’s tough; I mean whose jersey should we buy? Cutch (may not be re-signed), Walker (I still too early for a big $ committment), El Toro?

I have a Cutch jersey t-shirt, and, until they commit to a player in the CarGo 7yr/$80m range, I will not buy another Pirates official jersey.

16. CDBrewer says:

Agreed on the jersey…
    The McLouth trade doesn’t make the decision to buy any easier after “core player” identification…and I don’t mind the trade, but it doesn’t make me run out to buy a jersey.

How about a Bob Walk jersey!

17. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: How about Kevin Young?

18. JMB says:

you guys are depressing me…lol

19. CDBrewer says:

My Walker fears are still directly tied to Warren Morris…
    Talk about depressing.

20. pittmd says:

I have 3 different jerseys and they are all Clemente.

21. CDBrewer says:

I do not have a good feeling about tonight…and it is getting worse.
    Haven’t been many of these nights this year, but the AL lineups just seem relentless.

What Boston might do to us if we don’t step up…eish

2-0 isn’t so bad, just feels like it won’t end with them on 2

22. Bucco Fan For Life says:

Overbay is usless!

23. pittmd says:

Overbay’s defense was highly overrated this past offseason. I think at best he is average from what I have seen

24. pittmd says:

Hey Donnie, Willie last game was a day game.

25. JMB says:

“Would have been an above-average play by Overbay.”

I thought ‘above-avg’ defense is why LO is worth $5M; it sure isn’t his hitting.

26. Bucco Fan For Life says:

How many groundball outs is that for the Pirates? Gotta be five or six…

27. CDBrewer says:

@JMB

Um, our offense IS that bad…lol

Seriously, we lost a string of catchers and our 3rd baseman…any team would struggle, let alone a team that already had some question marks.

28. JMB says:

Injuries or not, it is still discouraging, four seasons into a complete rebuild, to feel like a 2-0 deficit is insurmountable.

29. CDBrewer says:

You’re right, it does feel that way, but that isn’t fair of us…we have had some comebacks recently.
    I think tonight feels like they are going to get 5 more too…so I think tonight has that feeling we get in interleague, or against Milwaukee.
    A special kind of discouraging…

30. pittmd says:

Any predictions as to what inning we get our first hit. I predict the 6th.

31. CDBrewer says:

@ Pitt

Can I predict we don’t?
    Walker’s at bat was about the only competitive one.

32. pittmd says:

@CDBrewer

Sure you can. And I agree than other than Neil’s AB the rest have been bad.

33. Reading says:

Grounder past Overbay! Where’s the glove?

34. pattonbb says:

No Hitter..No Hitter…No Hitter…No Hitter!!!!!!!

Take that Carrasco.

35. Bucco Fan For Life says:

I am not sure the Pirates will get a hit tonight.

36. CDBrewer says:

@Reading

The one down the line would have been an amazing play, but yeah, I am ready to give up defending him…he has been a huge disappointment defensively.
    We see flashes, but he hasn’t gotten into a grove.

I remember Alomar forgetting how to field when he went to the Mets…it is almost that bad (but that was other worldly BAD)

37. CDBrewer says:

When aren’t we allowed to bunt anymore?

They might just bring the outfielders in at this rate.

38. Reading says:

Just seems lately when the play is anything other than routine the ball ends up in right field. Earlier a good play with two outs would have prevented a run and ended the inning. We can’t, however, criticize his power at bats can we? Money in the bank there.

39. pattonbb says:

McKenry!!! Here we go!

40. JMB says:

that’s a hit, but Bourn’s dive is an error?!

41. Bucco Fan For Life says:

McKenry gets it done! Now we need some runs!

42. CDBrewer says:

Figures…the 6th string catcher…

43. CDBrewer says:

JMB, you got it.
    How can we get some consistency in scoring.
    It almost makes stats less meaningful.

Re: Jacobs Field: One of the best stadiums for cheap seats.

Why? Because the upper decks are decidedly more sloped, more vertical, than other retro parks.

Why does this matter? Because by being more vertical and less flat, the cheap seats are much closer to the action than in other parks, including PNC.

Don’t get me wrong…I like PNC better. But for those 12-15,000 or so who might sit in higher cheap seats, they feel like they are much closer to the game. And yes, I have sat up there at Jacobs.

Fun area around the Jake too, as Dejan’s pictures show. A great “slider” pub nearby…forget the name. But not the sliders.

Made the ride over many times when I lived in Pittsburgh, and then we later lived in Cleveland. The atmosphere was amazing when they were in regular playoff contention during the 90s. The Tribe sold out FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE (455) CONSECUTIVE home games between June 12, 1995 and April 4, 2001. That’s more than 19MM fans in just under than 6 years. Think about that.

From a team that was HUGELY unpopular and barely attended before their resurgence. Now think about THAT.

45. pattonbb says:

That’s what I’m talking about.

“The METS just appealed…”

Funny.

47. CDBrewer says:

@Drew,

Thanks for the feedback (and reading the whole thread!).
    One thing I DON’T like about the new one in Philly is how sloped the upper deck is though.
    I felt like I was going to slide down or get vertigo – wasn’t sure which.
    Is it as sloped as Citizen’s Bank in Philly?
    (and man, that could be a great park if it weren’t in that massive Vet/Spectrum parking lot.

It is good to hear that the area surrounding is fun…that makes the day or evening a lot more tolerable after a game like this.

48. Reading says:

There’s a power at bat! Bout time. How about a crooked number!

49. Bucco Fan For Life says:

The Pirates are on the board!

50. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Dejan

I got the headline for tomorrow……

WAKE-UP CALL — WE NEED A HITTER!!

51. CDBrewer says:

I saw this game last night…

52. Keith Hadley says:

Okay, wake up, Cutch!

Brewski – Never been to Citizens but yes, the Jake sounds just as steep. Walking up and especially down was a little disorienting. But when you sit, then no vertigo, and great game perspective. I mean terrific.

And if they don’t start hitting, we’re going to see this game a lot more.

Keith – If they keep playing like this, WE are gonna need the wake-up call.

55. Reading says:

I don’t think that we are going to win.

56. JMB says:

Maholm with another loss in a QS.

57. JMB says:

“In tomorrow’s column, I’ll be calling on the front office to step up and do its part.”

Oh yeah, my favorite DK work!

58. CDBrewer says:

@DK

I love the idea of getting something, but at what price?
    We are over-achieving this year. They are playing their guts out, but do we really have pieces that are worth trading that other teams want?

Don’t disagree that we need something, but Paul was a good pick for nothing. Something good might cost a bunch.

59. Reading says:

Over”K”. Fitting end to a so-called game.

60. JMB says:

I’m naturally impatient, but I am guessing NH is waiting to see what we have, and where we are, on July 31.

The cost is only worth it if we have a chance at the WC.

61. CDBrewer says:

I’ve thought the death spiral had started a couple other times before now, and I was wrong.
    I am not giving in to that thinking with this crew yet. They seem to respond to adversity.

62. JMB says:

Updated*** 35-35 / 260 runs scored / 3.71 a game / Pirates are currently looking at 602 runs scored for the season.

63. CDBrewer says:

@JMB
    I figure I’ve waited since 92 for something remotely competitive, I would rather wait one more and maybe have it be a little more prolonged than to sell out for one year of relief…
    But impatience comes from the broken promises of Furmaniak and Allensworth and…why even bother. I’m with you, brother.

64. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@CD: I’ll be advocating a cautious approach. Don’t give away the farm. Pick up a salary. The Pirates have been saying for years they could. This strikes me as a good time.

65. CDBrewer says:

@DK

Yep…that is completely appropriate…Dodgers? Mets? Cubs having issues too, aren’t they?

66. E-town says:

Does anyone sell any other pirate jerseys besides Clemente’s? Ive searched at MLB dot com, its rather slim pickings.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle