Final: Orioles 8, Pirates 3

One hour to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (35-36) vs. Baltimore Orioles (32-37)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 75 degrees, scattered storms

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Derrek Lee, 1B
  5. Matt Wieters, C
  6. Mark Reynolds, 3B
  7. Felix Pie, LF
  8. Robert Andino, 2B
  9. Jake Arrieta, RHP

Feel free to use this as a discussion forum, as always. I’m off today, so the burden is all yours.

Comments

1. Keith Hadley says:

Not sure why Paul isn’t batting second. He’s the most legit bat there. I guess they’re hoping for more RBI’s from a fleet, skilled outfielder?

2. Dan says:

McCutchen in CF and Jones at 1B.

3. CDBrewer says:

I think they think Paul might be power more like NW that Tabata…
    I love that Paul is getting some time. I want to see what he is before we pull up Presley.
    Presley’s gotta play when he comes up, and we aren’t going to sit Cutch or Tabata.

4. Keith says:

That’s a great point. When would Presley play? Can’t bring him up as a fourth outfielder. Paul is just as intriguing.

Harrison 49 at bats 3 strike outs–handles the bat well which what you want at the 2 spot. Paul has 26 strike outs in 94 at bats.

6. CDBrewer says:

Really bad start…
    And I’ve never heard of a 3rdbase coach NOT coming out at his old employer.

7. Keith says:

Come on, Chuck – settle down. It’d be a nice day for the offense to spark, eh?

8. emissions says:

Future blog post / article…. 9 game inter-league series beginning of the end for the 2011 Bucco season.

9. JMB says:

I was thinking the same thing emissions. These 12 games are looking pretty scary after an 0-4 start.

All of our fun trade talk will have been awful silly if the team is ten under .500 after the Toronto series.

: – (

10. Keith says:

Future blog post/article….Bucs come back after horrific interleague start!

11. Karen22 says:

Better hope for a rainout…I blinked and we’re already down 5-0 in the 1st. Third bad start in a row for Charlie. This is not good.

12. emissions says:

12 games .. not 9. My bad. Forgot about the Toronto series. That only makes it worse. Ugh.

13. pattonbb says:

Tom Verducci has been saying for a couple weeks now that our pitching wouldn’t last because of their low strikeout numbers. He said we have a team full of starting pitchers who pitch to contact and their success won’t last.

I’m really starting to dislike Tom Verducci.

14. CDBrewer says:

Yeah, tonight’s response to last night (and the weekend) has death spiral written all over it.

It was fun to care in June…it had been a while…
    Not even Pujols’ injury can save us…

15. BenderHeel says:

It better start pouring rain ASAP to erase this game.

There really seems to be a death-spiral vibe to this game on the heels of that ugly offensively-challenged sweep.

16. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Can we finally stop hearing the Charlie Morton / Roy Halladay comparisons?

There is someone behind the Pirates dugout with a sign that reads, “MARK CUBAN WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS”

17. Dejan Kovacevic says:

2012: Speaking only for myself, the only Morton/Halladay comparisons I made — and I took great pains to stress this — were to their deliveries.

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@DK

I know, I think you have been one of the few who didn’t continually compare the two. I wish the ROOT Sports team would follow suit.

19. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Well, again, I did compare them extensively, thoroughly, and every other way you can describe. But I did so in terms of delivery, not achievements or potential.

20. Keith says:

@ Dejan
    What names of power-hitting 1B do you think we should be prepared to hear MLBTradeRumors link the Pirates to in the coming month?

21. pattonbb says:

Who’s that playing 3B? Oh yea…nevermind.

22. Keith says:

By the way, how brutal is it to see McKenry constantly up in run-scoring situations?

23. G.O.A.T. says:

There is no reason for Pedro Ciriaco to be on an MLB roster…

24. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@DK

Exactly my point. What you did (and I remember your comparison well) was both thorough and objective. What others since then have done is try to make Morton out TO BE Roy Halladay. It has been neither thorough or objective. At this point I’d settle for Morton being the next Roy Lee Jackson.