Final: Pirates 5, Orioles 4

One hour to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (36-37) vs. Baltimore Orioles (33-38)

Time: 12:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 80 degrees, more humidity

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Derrek Lee, 1B
  5. Matt Wieters, C
  6. Luke Scott, LF
  7. Mark Reynolds, 3B
  8. Blake Davis, 2B
  9. Zach Britton, LHP

Feel free to use this as a discussion forum, as always.

Comments

1. J-Ro says:

Guess Ronny will be practicing his bases loaded bunting technique in the cage today!

Seriously though…great atmosphere last night…I know there was a giveaway (and the steins were pretty sweet, to be sure), but for a Tuesday night against an opponent that’s not exactly a big draw? Not too shabby at all.

Need a quality home start from KC today and some confidence going into this weekend’s very tall task. Go Bucs!

2. CDBrewer says:

lol on the bunt.
    Boy, he has ZERO baseball IQ…almost like he out thinks himself and does the opposite (Costanza style might be beneficial).

Fell much better about coming out of the death spiral with one more win before Boston and Joey Bats.
    I’m still on DS alert though.

“Dejan – What is the chance of PBC pulling an “Overbay” on Diaz and sitting the guy? What is the point of filling one offensive hole by replacing Overbay with Diaz and then playing Diaz when you have XPaul or, potentially, Presley?”

That is what i WANTED to write. Then I saw that Diaz is hitting .375 over the last week. Just a singles hitter, but recently a lot of them.

So when he regresses to his ‘.250-no power-poor defense’ mean, i’ll ask the question again and, umm, mean it.

(So then really…what IS the meaning of this post? I’ve even confused myself.)

4. JMB says:

#22 for Paul Maholm

I hope they just keep him if Heyman is right. As the 22nd option, he will not get more than an infuriating return.

Win here would be nice but Red sox can be beaten if pitching holds up. Sox score alot but also give up a lot of runs, rank 18th in ERA and 22 in quality starts.

6. J-Ro says:

Great start so far! They couldn’t walk Cutch this time.

7. CDBrewer says:

The pitching has reverted to the norm a bit over the past two weeks…Morton and JMc to name 2.

But, this is a great start…
    The O’s might win our division, 2 out of 3 from them would be great.

8. CDBrewer says:

Good God.
    Can we get the BA of opposing pitchers against us, versus what the league average is…
    Man, that kills me.

9. Fat Jimmy says:

JMB, the only thing I’d say about Heyman’s piece is that I think he’s ranking the players based on both playing ability and ability to acquire. He seemed to suggest that the Pirates aren’t looking to deal Paul.

10. Fat Jimmy says:

Dejan, take a look at this story about Mark Cuban looking at buying the Dodgers. One of the problems he sees is that McCord has set up the franchise as a “bunch of subcorporations” with P/L centers such as parking lots existing as their own entities.

In your examinations of the Pirates finances, do you know for certain whether or not they are structured similiarly? Not specifically to the parking lots, but is it possible that there are subcorporations for the Pirates that drive revenues away from the offical MLB club?

11. Fat Jimmy says:

It appears that opposing pitchers are hitting .164 against us, while our pitchers are hitting .080.

Slim – that’s KINDA interesting about the pitchers. Sorta.

13. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Jimmy: Not to my knowledge. All of it falls under one umbrella.

14. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Drew: Diaz is basically “sitting” now. Xavier Paul is the right fielder. Just not today against the lefty.

15. CDBrewer says:

Jimmy,

Thank you much for the info on the pitchers…
    I would have bet on .200 easily…and I would’ve been wrong.

It would be really nice to get one of those right back…even nicer to get two!
    They do respond to adversity, they just aren’t as talented as a lot of the teams in the other dugout.

Dejan – If Diaz plays against lefties, doesn’t that just make it a platoon? As noted, I’m ok while he’s on his little singles hot streak. Aside from the sarcasm, I am – for now – ok with that. Until his inevitable regression.

Just saying, when Diaz does regress, and he will, I’d rather just give X the spot every day. And if he can’t handle it, then give it to P(resley)

And Diaz bangs a base hit to prove, once again, why nobody is offering me a team to manage.

Would it be snarky if I point out that it was a single?

19. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Drew: Nah. Paul’s been playing more.

Ok, I’ll buy the day-game-following-night-game rest for Paul. Too bad Both X and P(resley) hit from the left. Otherwise, that would be platoon I could support. But if X is in fact getting the vast majority of the play now, I can live with that, and with an occasional rest day covered by Diaz

Can also live with P(resley) staying in AAA so he can play regularly while PBC figures out what they have in X. Would hate to see the kid promoted to sit on the bench, and would – for now – like to see what X can do in daily play.

21. JoeBucco says:

“Would it be snarky if I point out that it was a single?”

Does he ever get any other kind of a hit? :)

And by the way, nice to see some offense.

(But can someone tell the guys that it is ok to occasionally put it over the wall? Not to complain when suddenly they’re hitting. Just trying to make it easier for them.)

JB – To be fair, occasionally.

But his next HR will be his first for Pittsburgh.

Want al the stat people who claim Cutch is not a good fielder to watch him play and then tell me that.

25. JMB says:

Cutch is ranked much higher this year than his first two yrs.

FJ – #9 comment. You’re right.

26. JMB says:

saw this:

LangoschMLB
    The #Pirates have sent OF Andrew Lambo from Triple-A to Double-A to make room for INF Josh Rodriguez on Indianapolis roster.

And was hoping it was saying “sent…in a trade for….?”

I’m like Pavlov’s dog waiting for a trade to happen!

27. densum2 says:

Boston awaits.

28. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Josh: Welcome back, man.

@JAL: Yes! Cutch is Exhibit A of how far defensive metrics have to go.

29. Fat Jimmy says:

I wonder if there is a difference in Altoona weed vs. Indy weed? Best of luck to Andrew “Good Tymes” Lambo.

Who was projecting him as the Pirates starting RF in 2013???

30. CDBrewer says:

Who thinks Josh Rodriguez is really worth the trouble?

We barely kept him on our bench at the beginning of the year.

And we haven’t heard anything about Lambo – guess he just isn’t going to get here.

31. Mike says:

Any news on Pedro’s status? Hard to find much info on him. Could use his bat from last summer in the middle of the lineup.

32. rwshelton2 says:

@DK: So, with this whole becoming the best columnist in Pittsburgh thing [which you were already at the other place] and spots on the Fan and Madden and Showdown, does this mean we’ll be seeing you daily on Around the Horn once Woody Paige retires???? lol

33. JoeBucco says:

Brewers lost, Buccos within 3 games of 1st.

And yes, I’m calling it now. Red Sox series is the kind of series the Pirates win, or maybe even sweep. Don’t know how, don’t know why, but it seems like they win those big series.

40-37 and close to the NL Central lead would be a swell b-day present for me this weekend. Gotta love turning 30 (for the 8th time). :)

34. Matt Alexander says:

Regarding the ‘give charlie a break’ headline from earlier today, I am wondering how he could already be experiencing a ‘tired arm’? If this is happening now, what’s he going to be like in august and september? This isn’t some 22 year old kid with no major league experience at handling a full schedule and a regular rotation spot.

I could see Karstens having this issue..could maybe see J-Mac (both of whom being regular rotation starters for the first time,) but Morton? I’m not buying it. I think he’s getting skipped because Hurdle doesn’t want the sox to put up double digits on him sunday and totally cave in whatever self-confidence he still might have.

That’s mean, Jimmy. Funny . . . but mean. :-) With JMac’s recent performance, that trade isn’t looking like the world beater it looked like at the beginning of the year. Still a good trade (who misses Dotel), just not the clean your clock type it once seemed. Still early.

36. JoeBucco says:

The fact that both guys we got are still in our organization, one of which in the rotation, while Hotel Dotel Holiday Inn is north of the border instead of Hollywood, I’d call this one a clock cleaning. Maybe a low level one, but still, that one goes down as a W.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle