Final: Red Sox 4, Pirates 2

One hour to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (39-37) vs. Boston Red Sox (44-32)

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 72 degrees, cloudy

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B
  5. J.D. Drew, RF
  6. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
  7. Josh Reddick, LF
  8. Marco Scutaro, SS
  9. Andrew Miller, LHP

Feel free to use this as a discussion forum, as always.

Comments

1. JMB says:

Yo Biz!

I’ve been out of town myself the last few days, but these are the people who added last weekend.

DillyDan June 18th, 2011 – 2:49 pmfront royal, va

safetydave June 18th, 2011 – 5:14 pm Valrico, FL

Four wins in a row! Every time I count this team out, they bounce right back into contention!

2. Drew's son says:

My dad is MAKING me do this.

1. Gainesville, FL (me)
    2. Daytona Beach, FL (my brother, whose apartment we’re writing from)

3. Drew says:

Biz – That was real. My oldest (at my ‘gentle’ encouragement) just submitted that.

4. Drew says:

And wouldn’t you know…the moderation rules didn’t allow the first post. Probably because it was sent using my email address.

It was from my oldest son, listing Gainesville, FL for him, and Daytona Beach for his brother, whose apartment we’re posting from

5. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Bizrow

Marietta, GA here

6. Steve Smith says:

@ Bizrow
    Woodbridge, VA here again.

7. MrB says:

Lets go Bucs – Time to sweep up the dirty sox and send them to the cleaners in Philly!

8. safetydave says:

DK
    Thanks for the set up for todays game
    U have time to see the Bucs in person today?

9. robshelb says:

So if the Swashbucklers win today, it will be the longest winning streak (5) of this season. And depending upon how many people show up today, this could be the biggest three-game attendance figure ever at PNC park.

We faced this guy, Miller, twice, in Spring training. Lit him up to the tune of a 5.56 ERA. Preface is prologue ??? We shall see.

So which is better right now, our starting pitchers or our bullpen ?? Leading after six innings, the Bucs’ record is 32-3. After 7, it’s 31-1. After 8, 35-0.

Trailing after seven, however, our record is 4-28.

Too many guys still can’t hit their way out of paper bags, especially late in games. (Haven’t checked the splits, but it sure seems that way.)

DK, thanks again for posting the line-up’s in a way I like to read it.

Gotta run. Still have three more sites to review before today’s game begins.

10. CDBrewer says:

Here comes Presley…it’s time.

11. CDBrewer says:

That Tabata injury looks bad.

12. CDBrewer says:

Wow, the cart…yikes

13. Playoffs by 2012 says:

torn quad would be my guess

14. CDBrewer says:

That is 3 months without JT.

15. Steve Smith says:

Good call Playoffs, let’s just hope it is not as bad as Pedro’s.

16. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Steve Smith

I hate being correct sometimes……..Something tells me this one is going to be worse than Pedro’s injury. I’m guessing 8-10 weeks minimum. Looks like Presley will have a real chance to show if he can play or not.

17. CDBrewer says:

I love that play, and I love that execution.

Bye bye Ronny…we have our SS of the future…when our 3rd baseman of the future comes back.

18. Steve Smith says:

Anybody else getting the feeling the team just doesn’t want this one today? You can’t keep giving this team chances. We have certainly not been taking advantage of our chances.

19. Steve Smith says:

All together now, LEAD OFF WALKS KILL!

20. Steve Smith says:

Some runs would be very nice. Let’s go offense! Big wammy hex on Miller!

21. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Bob Walk is absolutely correct to be tearing into the Red Sox right now. Those of you who remember the Zach Duke fiasco in L.A. a couple years ago will know: Once you have a crack at the other team’s pitcher, you either take it or you’re done. Throwing at the catcher several innings later is just an acknowledgement of having blown it.

Totally bush league.

22. CDBrewer says:

DK,

The league has discouraged teams from doing it the right way…I mean, they might have thrown the pitcher out if he hit McDonald out with the first pitch.
    The league needs to get out of the hbp issue all together – they let the hitters dig in crazy and watch their shots… I don’t know…I guess I see why the Sox did it the way they did, even thought it is wrong…
    I hate Selig…(and don’t ever get me going on Bettman)

Whole thing drives me nuts.

23. Steve Smith says:

Can we get someone to throw strikes, PLEASE!

24. Steve Smith says:

Game over!

25. CDBrewer says:

Not ready to give up today, but this is why sweeping a team is sooo hard.

2/3 from Boston is still better than I expected. A LOT better.

26. JMB says:

me2!! @CDB

27. CDBrewer says:

@JMB

My wife found a story on cbs sports website this afternoon about how we are in the thick of a pennant race…
    lol
    I can’t even get over that.
    And the Cards are losing again!

28. Steve Smith says:

I here you guys, but the thing this team does, just kills me sometimes. Also, I understand momentum, but if Garret doesn’t take so long to throw that ball, Popi is out.

29. Steve Smith says:

Three of four – 4 pitch – walks have now scored on the day, and those three have also been gifted as Walkie says with our poor play in the field today.

30. CDBrewer says:

He also might throw that ball as inaccurately as Cutch’s throw earlier if he doesn’t take so long.
    He had a long way to go to make that catch…and Cutch was sliding under him.

31. Steve Smith says:

@CDB, I here you. I did see him setting up, and he needed to do that, but it still seemed like forever. That throw by Cutch was horrible, though.

32. CDBrewer says:

hmmm, I’d like to see some line drives there – baserunners. Some hard hit balls, but need to build it again. We aren’t the three dinger team.

@SS
    I gotcha on Jones…
    And that Cutch play was just…to get knocked over the wall…ugh.

33. Steve Smith says:

You know, win number 5 to go to 5-28 after trailing after 7 would be nice, but we need to do it next inning. Trying to do it against Papplebon (sp?) is going to be tough. Let’s go bats!

Thanks JMB, hope you enjoyed being away

Thanks Drew, these young pups, have to be shown the way

This is the list I have to date, haven’t looked at late last night yet

PBC Nation – at the Trib
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY
    Colorado – Ft Collins
    Connecticut – Cos Cob
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach (somewhat reluctantly, those past two, Dad always knows best..), Oviedo (see prior comment)
    Georgia – Marietta
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru
    Kentucky – Louisville
    Japan – Tokyo
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazooooooo ( al la, Pittsburgh goal scored by Mario Lemoooooooooooooo)
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury
    New York – New York, Smithtown
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton
    South Carolina – Duncan. Longs
    Tennessee – Smithville
    Texas – Tyler
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls
    Wisconsin – Madison

62 in all, you ain’t seen nuttin yet…
    6/26/2011 4:21 PM

Put the rally caps on, we deserve this game

Bottom 8 4-2 bad guys

35. Steve Smith says:

Can someone also light a fire under the Twins to help us out as well. Beat the Brewers at least one game for us.

36. Steve Smith says:

I have not been impress – at all – by Matt Diaz this year. He always seems to swing at balls several feet out of the strike zone. Also, no power at all.

37. Steve Smith says:

We seemed to have used up all our hits in the 5th inning, and only came away with 1 run after loading the bases with none out. The proverbial three hits to score one run inning. 2 of 3 from Boston is nice, but I think I’ve been getting greedy, so a sweep would have been better. A reset with the day off, and take some from the Blue Jays and Joey Bats will keep it going. Keep winning series will keep everyone coming to see the team. Congrats to all the Bucs fans that came out this weekend. Hopefully they were able to keep more Sox fans away today.

Got San Antonio, that makes 63

I think the fat lady is clearing her throat

Ok, anyone up for trying to do some play-by-play on Tuesday?

Thanks Dejan, we’ll give it a shot and see what happens

Its rally cap time

39. Steve Smith says:

Defense has not been there today.

Crap

We gave this one away

41. CDBrewer says:

I would have signed up for 2/3 from Boston in THIS series at any point in the last 5 years.

And to think we were competitive in the game we lost DESPITE 4 errors and some mediocre pitching…

Fans brought BROOMS to a Red Sox game…
    I don’t love losing, but man…I am okay.

And to think this is the 4th string catcher, we don’t have our 3rd baseman, and we have gotten very little from our FA signings.

Searage, Hurdle…baling wire and chewing gum.

42. Steve Smith says:

Baling wire and chewing gum, indeed. I think they even have MacGuiver (sp?) hiding out in the dugout. Let go finally win some road games in interleague!

43. Curt says:

You can add me to the list. Lol.
    Martinsburg, West Virginia.
    Tough loss, however we still won the series and are in a race for the Central.

I understand the satisfaction

I want more, I’m a greedy old fart

Curt, welcome to the blog

64 in the new asylum, Nurse Ratchett is nervous

45. rwshelton2 says:

here comes Presley…who else thinks Presley and d’Arnaud will be fixtures in the lineup in the very near future?

46. jefft says:

Hi all…Arnold PA checking in on the new site. Not around as much with a new job & all, but it beats unemployment.
    Missed the game today, sorry to hear about Tabata. Don’t think there’s gonna be anything holding Presley out now.

47. jefft says:

I have mostly been on the side of upper mgmt in their “plan” to build the team, even though it’s taken a lot of time. DK has stated before (at least, I think it was him…not an original idea by me, anyway) that, if the Bucs are in contention in the middle of the month, they need to find a bat to help them. My question is…who’s available? I mean, I don’t see them renting Albert Pujols for 2 months, but would it be a rental or someone they might control for a while?

What a difference. Take two of three from the best team in baseball and everyone’s MAD.

What a difference.

Let’s send Dejan to Minnesota every weekend. Seems to bring good luck and, heaven help him, Dejan seems to enjoy it.

Drew, its not a bad thing to want it all

Especially hearing and reading that just showing up and making games of the three set would be ok

I’m pissed, we could have had this one, and pitching inside to Pedroia was pretty cool

This team has chuzpah, meanwhile JR would have been sleeping…

50. CTBucsFan says:

DK – Is your blog ever going to resemble your former blog? in game updates, post-game commentary, etc.?

51. CTBucsFan says:

Didn’t mean that snippily – just wondering/

52. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@CT: Yes, it will. I’m still spinning many plates on many sticks. And I’ll comment and blog on games that I’m covering. That obviously hasn’t been the case the past few days, as I was in Minnesota for the draft.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back