On location: The 82nd All-Star Game

PHOENIX – Three hours to first pitch …

Game: National League vs. American League, 82nd All-Star Game.

Time: 8:30 p.m.

Site: Chase Field, Phoenix

TV: Fox

Weather: 102 degrees, unfit for humanity … but the roof is closed

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

National League:

4. Jose Bautista, RF
  5. Josh Hamilton, LF
  6. Adrian Beltre, 3B
  7. David Ortiz, DH
  8. Robinson Cano, 2B
  9. Alex Avila, C

Couple of pics before things get busy …

This is about as scenic as downtown Phoenix gets. That’s the skyline. Just ahead is the ASU campus (and the Starbucks). But I made that left that you see there to go somewhere else.

They’re setting up shot for souvenirs outside Chase Field, which has this really neat marquee with the three bats. Always liked this.

The restaurants here have this water-mist that they shoot from the awnings to keep outdoor customers cool. These two Phoenix police officers stopped on their bikes for a break.

UPDATE 7:12 p.m.: Some American League BP …

I still don’t have a firm time for the first pitch, but the general feeling in the press box is that it will be around 8:30 p.m. Also, there’s word up here that Andrew McCutchen should enter in about the fifth or sixth inning.

7:41: I’ll be doing my updates tonight on Twitter. Moves faster, and allows me the time to work on the deadline game story.

Comments

1. pittmd says:

Love the pics. Helps me feel like I’m kinds there as well.

Great pictures

Is it Friday yet??

Seriously

PBC Nation – at the Trib
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach
    Colorado – Ft Collins
    Connecticut – Cos Cob
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach (somewhat reluctantly), Oviedo, Tampa
    Georgia – Marietta
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon
    New York – New York, Smithtown
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Mason
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington (Neil?? Is that you??), York, Boiling Springs (Neil this is your place come July 31, heh, heh, heh)
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    Tennessee – Smithville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane
    West Virginia – Martinsburg
    Wisconsin – Madison

89 locations represented in the blog
    7/12/2011 6:00 PM

3. Bart Ripp says:

I am at The Trib and in da Burgh with my heart — from Gig Harbor WA.

Sure, you stopped at Hooters for coffee, right?

Hooters has coffee?

6. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Not the greatest All-Star Game venue I’d say.

Next year will be better in Kansas City.

Just because it’s a better midsummer feel if the game is played in middle America or the midwest or northeast.

Kansas City a fine town. having been to Phoenix and KC will take KC.

8. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Can the NL do its job to make sure Game 1 of the World Series is played at PNC Park? :D

9. PhillyJake says:

@BizRow I’m in the suburbs of Philadelphia

10. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Biz: It’s right next door. A place called Arizona Center.

11. Curt says:

While we are talking ballparks. Favorite ballpark outside of PNC Park?
    I’d have to go with Camden Yards in Baltimore.

12. JMB says:

ATT
    Safeco

I’m going to petco this weekend, so maybe I will add that one.

13. JMB says:

I went to Camden in 2003, but it was full of Yankee fans, and they are d- bags.

14. CDBrewer says:

@JMB

ATT is spectacular…I put Camden and Petco just behind it.
    Probably will make Safeco in the next two weeks now that I am here…in AL land…sigh…

Agreed on your top two, but I love Petco…
    I also like Dodger Stadium, although the parking is atrocious and I haven’t been for two years.

I was to KC about 3 years before the renovations and thought it was top 10 then, although I would not say the same about what I saw of KC (especially KC, KS)

15. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Ok, midseason awards.

NL Manager of the Year – Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh
    …Good case could be made for Kirk Gibson but Hurdle took over the worst team.

NL Cy Young Award – Jair Jurrjens, Atlanta
    …He leads in wins (12) and ERA (1.87). Halladay is making a another bid but Jurrjens gets the slight nod at the midway point.

NL MVP – Matt Kemp, Los Angeles
    …He’ll have a tough time winning it being on a bad team but it has happened before. .313 avg, 22 HRs, 67 RBI and 27 SBs so far.

16. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

AL Manager of the Year – Manny Acta, Cleveland
    …Watch out for Gardenhire in this race. Twins were like 17-36 with the worst record in the league through mid-May and they’ve had a lot of injuries, but now only 6 1/2 back.

AL Cy Young Award – Justin Verlander, Detroit
    …Sabathia leads with 13 wins but Verlander has had more of the wow factor. Verlander is 12-4, 2.15 ERA and 147 Ks. Weaver is also in the discussion.

AL MVP – Adrian Gonzalez, Boston
    …Leads in batting average (.354) and RBI (77).

17. CDBrewer says:

On the Awards…

Bochy gets a tight 2nd (as unpopular as that will be here after the last week). To do what he did with no Sandoval for 6 weeks and no Posey the last 8 weeks…wow. Look at their record.

Jurrjens is a good choice, but I would put Hanrahan in there for being perfect.

I need more time for MVP – Kemp is fine until you think about the Andre Dawson argument. The Dodgers are the walking dead.

Dejan

Hooters has coffee? Even at my age, never looked up, never looked down ;-)

@PhillyJake, I added Philly suburbs to the list, If you get a chance, exactly what part of Philly?

@Dave, well, whats the PBC record for the rest of the season? If we end up 69 and 93, CH might not be in the running

I do think that so far, he is THE DIFFERENCE

So far, although I also believe in hidden vigorish

And magic dust too

19. CDBrewer says:

@Dave

3 for 3 with your AL awards.

20. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Doesn’t it seem like every year Michael Young is supposed to be getting old and he’s about to be replaced, then he ends up in the All-Star Game.

21. CDBrewer says:

And somehow Young’s performance didn’t waiver after the steroid era like some of the shortstops of his era – Tejada, A-Rod, to name two.

22. JMB says:

Joey Bats is AL MVP.

@Dave

2 for 3, Mgr of the year to be determined

24. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

They better not sing God Bless America before the game. :D

25. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Ok good.

Just the national anthem.

26. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

Joe Buck announced the starting lineups and now we have Michael Cuddyer announcing the starting lineup.

I think we got it.

27. JRCrew says:

Another location to add…three Pirate fans in Palatine, IL!

Is it Friday yet?

I’m just sayin

Food channel is getting old

Are they fishing for crabs on Discovery?

29. dschomburg says:

Anybody besides me getting sick and tired of all the chatter about Derek Jeter? He ain’t there, quit talking about him.

30. Steve Smith says:

Did I forget something from past All-Star games, but why are we playing with a DH in the National League stadium of the All-Star Games?

31. JMB says:

Pence w a HOSE!!

32. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

An anticlimactic all-Star at bat for AMac.

33. DavedigsDKsBlog says:

That aside, if he continues hitting like he has recently, he could be a legitimate MVP candidate.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle