On location: Pirates 2, Reds 0

One hour to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (49-44) vs. Cincinnati Reds (47-48)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 77 degrees, rain

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Brandon Phillips, 2B
  5. Jay Bruce, RF
  6. Miguel Cairo, 3B
  7. Fred Lewis, LF
  8. Ramon Hernandez, C
  9. Dontrelle Willis, LHP

Karen Price has news updates on the Bucco Blog.

UPDATE 4:56 p.m.: Cool moment on the field a few minutes ago …

As Lyle Overbay (not pictured) comes up the dugout steps a few seconds late for the position players’ stretch, Matt Diaz (center, leading the stretch), begins a playful applause for Overbay’s arrival. The rest clap, too, as you can see. Overbay took it well.

6:10: The tarp was taken off, and now it’s back on again. More of a mist than a rain right now.

By the way, I’ll have a feature in tomorrow’s Trib about the Pirates’ improved defense, and I can tell you know that the players’ primary reason for this will surprise you.

7:26: The game will start at exactly 8 p.m.

7:51 p.m.: Seriously, you’d need to be here to believe this, the way people are just riveted on the game ahead. And I’m just talking about cheering intros and the Anthem. It doesn’t look like this crowd will top 25K, but they’re really into it.

8 p.m.: First pitch from Morton to Stubbs, 77 degrees.

8:09: Upper deck starts spontaneous “Let’s Go Bucs!” chant to try to get Morton going. We’ll see if it works. He’s really pitching inside.

8:10: Now, there’s the pitch that matters. Even if Morton loses tonight, he needs to get that sinker moving just like he did to Phillips now.

8:14: 0-2 count to Cairo, place is roaring. I will not get used to this soon.

8:17: Immense bolt of lightning over Downtown skyline immediately — and I mean immediately — prompts home plate umpire Tony Randazzo to get tarp out. Good for him. Right call.

8:22: Not much of a rain at all, but I’m sure Randazzo just wants this ominously dark system to pass before restarting.

8:25: Oh, I take that back. Here comes a really heavy rain. Water’s really piling up on the tracks, too. PNC doesn’t drain anywhere near as well as it used to. Could be here a while.

8:55: Not really much rain now, but tarp still down.

9:01: I’d imagine we’re well past the point where Morton could return. And something else that’s worth considering: Clint Hurdle said before the game that he won’t have Chris Resop or Jose Veras tonight. Not much bullpen there, either.

Just thinking out loud, but Indianapolis’ starters Tuesday and Wednesday are, in order, Rudy Owens and Brad Lincoln. If James McDonald gets pushed up a day to pitch tonight — no harm in that, coming off the break — one of those two could pitch tomorrow. Both are on the 40-man, and the lefty Owens might be a good fit to face Cincinnati.

9:18: Here comes the underpaid grounds crew again. Field and tracks are in good shape. I take back what I said about PNC. Well done, old place.

9:22: The game will resume at 9:40 p.m., it was just announced.

9:37: Wow, Morton is back on the mound. Didn’t see that coming.

9:40: OK, where were we? Oh, 1-2 count to Cairo, right.

9:42: Wow, one of the best plays this season turned in there by d’Arnaud, a diving flip from his glove to Walker for the inning-ending force at second. Outstanding. Kid bounced up and pumped his fist, too.

The in-game entertainment apparently thought so little of it that they almost immediately started blasting music to drown out the crowd’s cheering. Amazing.

10:36: That’s a terrific first-to-third sprint by d’Arnaud, but honestly, I was even more impressed by Bruce’s across-the-body bullet from right-center. Great throw. Just a hair late.

10:44: That whole inning came about as the result of speed and aggressiveness. Hurdle might have looked stupid in the spring, but it’s all paying off now.

10:58: D’Arnaud is out of the game because of neck stiffness. There won’t be further word on his condition until tomorrow.

11:09: Let’s pause for a second here to point out that Morton now has given up one run in 23 innings against the Reds. And tonight, he did it despite a 30-pitch first inning and very long rain delay. Outstanding five innings.

Now, why he batted the previous inning, I have no idea.

11:24: Six up, six down for Tony Watson. Very well done. Almost so well done that they should have drowned the whole thing out with blaring music.

11:25: Here comes Overbay, tormented all night by the fans, looking for a third K.

11:26: Soft pop to center. Man, his at-bats tonight have been just terrible.

11:29: Attendance is 22,016. I’m impressed.

11:37: The Pirates have to hate seeing catcher’s interference when Watson is going like this. That would have been three perfect.

11:47: And here’s Aroldis Chapman’s Pittsburgh debut!

11:49: He’s at about 98, 99, then got to 100 on that flyout by Presley.

11:58: And that’s it. Hanrahan’s 27th save. Best crowd I can recall at PNC.

Comments

1. Karen22 says:

I thought McDonald was pitching tonight…

2. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Karen22: Nope. Tomorrow.

3. TS says:

“news updates” link going to a “page not found”

4. Karen22 says:

Thanks—don’t know where I got that notion. Will be interesting to see if Charlie rebounds after all the rest.

5. Rocco says:

How’s the weather down there DK? It just stormed like crazy in Monroeville

6. Karen22 says:

“Page not found” for me, too.

7. vandelay industries says:

A cool moment indeed, would’ve been even coolernif it were an 80′s slow clap…

8. vandelay industries says:

And by coolemif I mean cooler if. Damned missed space bar on iPad

9. Fat Jimmy says:

That picture should be entitled:

“PROOF THAT CIRIACO OCCASSIONALLY DOES GET ON THE FIELD”

Karen

You got the notion because the rotation was listed wrong. McDonald was listed for tonight and ESPN, previews , and such had him pitching but was wrong.

11. Fat Jimmy says:

Tomorrow’s Trib Headline:

Electric Stuff in Rain Jolts Pirates to Win

I guess this is the kind of thing Neal was talking about when he said that some of the things the veterans bring to the table will not show up in RBI’s and BA.

13. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@James: I’m surprised every single time I see Ciriaco. Not kidding. I never remember he’s still here.

14. Playoffs by 2012 says:

At least Diaz can say he did something tonite, as I’m sure there’s gonna be another 0-fer from him.

15. Karen22 says:

JAL—thanks! I thought I was hallucinating!

Diaz was actually hitting pretty well before the break—mostly singles, but, hey, better than oh-fer Overbay (I know, I know—he’s supposedly “heating up.”).

NOBODY remembers Ciriaco is here!

Now, now, be nice to Matt. He’s batting .357 over the last 2 weeks, and .349 for the last 28 days. No dinger, yet, though.

17. Baywatch says:

Maybe we can come up with a fun T-shirt, “Let Ciriaco Play!” a takeoff on the “Let Timmy Smoke” T-shirt the Giants fans came out with a few years ago after Lincecum got busted for a small amount of pot.

I get reminded of Ciriaco every game I see on TV. I see his face in the dugout, and say, “who’s that?”

19. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I always find it amazing when people defend the dead weight on this team. Diaz and Overbay are not exactly what you want from a corner outfielder and corner infielder. Presley in the short time he has been up has had more of an impact on the team than these tow have had all year. Me thinks that if Diaz wasn’t already under contract for 2012 that he would have been moved awhile ago. We finally have a contender, time to ditch the dead weight.

20. Jay G -Jacksonville via New Castle says:

This sounds right to me……Tabata back in left…Clutch in CF…the kid in RF….untill Alverez comes back Wood/Harrison at 3rd….Cedeno/d’Arnauld at SS, Neil at 2nd….Pearce at 1st (or 3rd……and we still have Jones/Overbay/Diaz on bench)….Doumit coming back is cool with Mckenry backing up……….NO CRAP RENTAL TRADES….!!!!!………Dejan, what do you think?????…..Don’t get rid of any prospects for a .234 hitter!!!!!!

21. bdubb says:

Watching MLB tv and they still have McDonald up as the starter. Actually heard that yesterday from the Pirates TV crew too

22. chrisb says:

2 out of 3 in this series would be real nice and put the reds in a tough spot. looking forward to bucs coming to philly in first place!!

23. Better Days Coming says:

Dejan,

Might I offer up a guess as to the reason behind the improved fielding? The pitchers are working quicker thus the fielders are more focused and into the game.

All I was pointing out was, it was incorrect to suggest “another o’fer” for Diaz, and the fact is he is hitting a lot better. Wasn’t really ready to get into a debate about do we need more “pop,” we do. I kinda like the DK approach to talking about trades, though. Let’s have some real names/possibilities on the table first. It’s easy enough to say we need better guys, so let’s trash the guys we have.

25. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@BDC: There are all kinds of reasons, but one in particular surprised me. That’s not it.

26. Rich Pelesky says:

While I respect and love Clint Hurdle as a manger, I can not figure out why he insists on batting d’Arnaud in the 2 hole. Hurdle has, as a general rule, placed call ups near at the top of the order to help with their confidence but it’s now to time to move Chase down in the order. He’s has been inconsisent at the plate, hitting only .217. That’s not really a slam on Chase – he’s just a rookie and has hit for average in the minors. But at this point, at least until Tabata comes back, the Bucs would be best served by putting either the speedy Josh Harrision (who has hit well in his two stints this season) or Matt Diaz when either starts in the 2 spot and move Chase to the 7 hole where there will be less pressure.

27. DannyMoe says:

I can almost make out an oddly placed white sign in the top right corner of the picture. Wonder what it says.

Nice teaser on the defense. My guess, they replaced the Barbosal in the clubhouse with Edge Gel making for a more finely conditioned piece of leather.

28. Better Days Coming says:

Danny,

That was my second guess.

There was brimstone and fire in Beaver County

In a large way, am glad the game is delayed at the start

Dejan’s coffee supply however, might be in dicey shape

99 lunatics signed up here, who will sign in to kick us over the hump?

Lets Go Bucs, The Bucs are going all the way, all the way, all the way, oh the Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year, Beat Em Bucs

Not sure where they are going, but I do love the ride

I’d rather see the smiling face of Nuttin than that dam Charities sign

I’m just sayin

Beat em Bucs

31. Better Days Coming says:

Biz,

Please add Beverly Hills to your list. Thanks.

Sorry BDC, what state?

That pushes us to 100

33. Kibab1979 says:

In what certainly has to be a sign of the apocolypse, the game in Atlanta next Monday will be nationally televised on ESPN.

34. Better Days Coming says:

Biz,

California. 90210

Biz

Surprised you didn’t know where Beverly Hills is–one of the best known locales in the country.

Biz

After the figures were announced still think signing Dickerson will affect any other signings?

37. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I got tix right behind the Bucs dugout next Monday in Atlanta. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

@JAL

I’m thinking I want confirmation regarding Beverly Hills, just cheking

Yup, I’m thinking Nuttin’s pocket still has alligator arms

Thanks BDC, and a nice sign in name

100 in the books

Beat em Bucs

Playoffs

That should be fun. Saw a number of games in Atlanta, but that was a stadium ago

Pittsburgh Nation – at the Trib, Never say die (sometimes though it has reminded me of the t-shirt with the mouse, middle finger extended as the hawk swoops in, not this year though)
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood
    Colorado – Ft Collins
    Connecticut – Cos Cob
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach (somewhat reluctantly), Oviedo, Tampa
    Georgia – Marietta
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis
    Iowa – Bettendorf
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there)
    Kentucky – Louisville
    Japan – Tokyo
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon
    New York – New York, Smithtown
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Mason
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    Tennessee – Smithville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane
    West Virginia – Martinsburg
    Wisconsin – Madison

99 locations represented in the blog
    7/18/2011 7:33 PM

Biz

That contract is too small to affect higher contracts, just not enough money. Basic economics.

42. Dan says:

Any updates on what’s going on at PNC? All ROOT ver does is incessantly play old Pirates programs and we go forever without updates.

43. PJ says:

Hey Dejan, nice article this morning… I have always been a huge Bucs fan and can never sway… I do have to come to the defense of “the Sax Man”, cause when i took my boy to the Sunday kids day, i clearly heard him taunt many Phillies fans about our Super Bowl wins and the fact that at that particular time, we were up 2-0 in the series. Maybe the two wins the night before changed his feelings, but i did hear him support the Bucs!

My son just had a dauthter, Sara

We drove down from Slippery Rock, saw the Candyman, strike out 15? Reds, we lost Chris was born the day Fisk waved the homer

@JAL – Atlanta?

Basic economics, like 9 billion to split, like the federal govt to not default

Sorry JAL, basic economics, I don’t want the gift of understanding that

Yellow BS flag time

Beat em Bucs

46. Calvin says:

@ Bizrow – Make it an even hundred.. Norristown, Pa here

47. Steve says:

In, 2001 (I think), I came back to visit my mom in Swissvale. Her health and her dementia were both getting worse but we ALWAYS went to see the Bux when I came back to town. But, I got her and her wheelchair down to the game. I remember no details of the game but it WAS the last lucid moments I had with my mom. The Pirates always were a shared love. I think of that game often.

Lived in Athens Georgia for 7 years, Atlanta closest MLB team–Fulton County Stadium. Braves were bad then, tickets easy to get.

49. postman says:

Speaking of possible players coming to Pittsburgh …anyway they take on Beltran?? Get him here then renegotiate his contract

50. JoeBucco says:

Buccos on the 4 letter network against the Braves on Monday Night Baseball. No home game, no Sunday Night… baby steps I guess.

51. Ochotexto says:

Seems talks for Pence have perked back up. Rumors are it would take Lincoln., Sanchez, and Marte.. If true I make that deal in a heartbeat. Potential is one thing., but Pence is a proven AllStar caliber right fielder.

Biz

Well, i do understand basic economics and Dickerson contract will have no affect what they offer Bell and Cole. None at all. His contract at the budgeted amount for that pick.

53. JoeBucco says:

@ocho. I think that would be too much.

54. Skip says:

Several folks on the blog here have suggested putting Presley in RF (when Tabata comes back). Does he have a RF arm? I haven’t really seen him turn it loose, so I really have no idea how good of an arm he has.

55. JoeBucco says:

Why is Peace still rehabbing in Indy? Dude’s mashing.

56. JoeBucco says:

Peace, Pearce… thanks auto-correct “feature”

JoeB

Hurdle said Peace through half the at bats they want him to have–should rejoin the team by end of the week.

58. buccos since '04 says:

Momentum shift destroyed.

Even worse, Morton already at 30 pitches and Reds starter has not thrown yet. Long delay and Morton may not be able to continue.

60. Ochotexto says:

@JoeyBucco., you could be right but it’s awfully tempting to stick a .320 hitter into the middle of our lineup. The division is weak and this opportunity may not arise again for a while.

61. buccos since '04 says:

Who do they send out Mcdonald? Dude scares me.

62. Imsorree says:

Are you including Pittsburgh neighborhoods in the blog location list? If so, count me in, add Shadyside…. Long time blog lurker here, time for me to start chiming in.

@JAL

I’m not sure quite what you understand nor why?

Rule 1 – Never trust politicians
    Rule 2 Never trust Brewers fans
    Rule 3 Never, ever, trust folks involved in the inner circle of e-mails from the old place

Crap, worst case, Morton has a rain delay

Crap, crap, crap

64. jerry4367 says:

Add Louisville, OH to the list

@Calvin, thanks 100

Cool beans

It might be a long one tonight

66. pattonbb says:

Wasn’t that an odd time to stop the game?

67. DaryleThePirateFan says:

DAMN RAIN!!!!

@ Baywatch did you get my Texas message??? Sent it twice !!!

68. Show says:

DK,

Just looked up Tim Alderson after watching Jim Leyland talk about Pittsburgh’s character as a baseball town during the 94 All Star Game. Looks like his WHIP is down significantly from last year. What do you hear from Kyle Stark and his crew about Alderson’s progress. What do they foresee for him?

There seemed to be some pretty sharp lightening in the area

Thanks Jerry 101

71. absolute59 says:

Biz: Congrads on the grand daughter. You are blessed today.

72. JMB says:

Congrats Biz!

It could be a while, maybe another wave coming in to the burgh?

35 miinutes per Root

75. LikeaBugonaRug says:

35 minutes til it’s gone? Or until the next wave?

76. LikeaBugonaRug says:

This has the potential to really change the rotation if they get the game restarted tonight. Will be interesting to see if Morton can come back out after the long delay. If not, does that press McDonald into service? And if that happens, who goes tomorrow night? Does Lincoln get called up? I doubt they’d want Karstens pitching tomorrow night, since that would be 3 days rest. Cincy may have gotten lucky that their pitcher never got to the mound, though I’m sure he’d completed his warm-up already.

77. tntoy says:

Biz, Hanover twp not far from you.

Biz

It is called education–plain and simple. Has nothing to do with politics. say you budget $100 entertainment–expecting $30 for movies, $30 for books, $ 30 for a baseball game, and $ 10 for newspapers and magazines. You spend $10 on books and magazines. That has no affect on what you spend on the other things. If you had to spend $15 on books and magazines then you would have to pay less than budgeted elsewhere. Easy to do with the draft since there are slots you know what you will spend if everyone signs and they all sign at slot. Of course you also know that every player drafted will not sign, for example a high school 25th round pick who thinks he can go much higher in a later draft. That is what Cole did. Of course you can decide to go over budget and spend even more in one area. So any player who signs at slot fits into the budget.

79. David Gourlay says:

What an exciting time to be a Pirates fan as they head into some challenging but fantastic opportunities to make this a genuine run. This is going to be Baseball’s great story in 2011. But come on Mother Nature – let’s play ball.

80. crapdragon says:

any indication as to how much longer the delay will last?

81. Eric Bowser says:

@DK: I like that idea about McDonald tonight and recall Lincoln/Locke.

82. Baywatch says:

Daryle, I sure did … I wish I’d had some way of getting in touch with you so we could have gotten together. I had a feeling you might be coming this way.

83. roxtar says:

Tarp coming of…. 9:40 resume time

McDonald and Owens or Lincoln seems like the best plan. Having the pen handle 8 1/3 would hurt the rest of this series.

85. crapdragon says:

great thanks alot waiting to watch here in nj.

86. JaxBuc says:

Biz, I’ve tried to get your attention a couple of times over the last 10 days, but I guess I’m like Ciriaco, nobody even realizes I’m here. Please add Jacksonville, FL to the list of regional asylums. Thanks.

87. Buckeye Phil says:

Pedro 2-3 with another HR so far tonight in AAA.

What’s the best case for his return? Anyone have a guess?

Could it be as soon as within a week or will it be more conservative than that not matter what he does?

88. Playoffs by 2012 says:

WOW

89. pattonbb says:

whoa….

90. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Seriously, WOW!!!

91. J_C_Steel says:

What a play coming out of the delay…

I love watching this team.

92. Playoffs by 2012 says:

d’Arnaud better check his pants for a rabbit’s foot

93. Bob from mt lebo says:

Chase will make a great play like that and follow it with a 3 strikeout night

94. buccos since '04 says:

The Baseball Gods wanted our game to align with Milwaukee’s

95. J_C_Steel says:

It would be nice if Cutch would start hitting again. He had a bad series in Houston and started the homestead by hitting into a DP.

96. LikeaBugonaRug says:

So how long do ya’ll think Charlie can last? That delay had to shorten his night some, unless he can get quite a few 10 pitch or less innings.

97. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Cutch didn’t want Diaz to hip into another DP. He took the bullet for him.

98. JoeBucco says:

I know D-Train could always hit, but we have to be leading the league in opposing pitcher hits since the beginning of 2010.

99. Dejan Kovacevic says:

2012: Wow, Diaz is the culprit even on deck!

100. JoeBucco says:

DARYLE – I’m hitting the Bucs series in S.F. Isn’t that your neck of the woods?

101. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Dejan

LOL, I’m just calling it like I see it. If he goes yard in this game you all can bash away on me.

102. pattonbb says:

put him away Charlie!!

103. JoeBucco says:

Pedro 3 for 4 tonight with that homer. But my question is, how does he get picked off of 1st base? Come on, Pete!

104. buccos since '04 says:

Does Morton look as erratic in person as he does on TV

105. JoeBucco says:

@2012 – Diaz had a much better chance of hitting into the DP than he did say… hitting a home run. Man, would one of those be possible this season? Just one?

106. JoeBucco says:

On the brighter side, Diaz only trails Overpaid by 7 HR’s on the season.

Trying to cue up some reverse-jinx magic here.

107. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Alright Diaz, time to shut me up.

108. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I’ll keep talking….

109. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JoeBucco

Exactly!!

110. LikeaBugonaRug says:

@JB – Doesn’t Davis have a tricky move? I see Gorkys got picked off, too. And Davis is a lefty.

111. JoeBucco says:

Yea, didn’t see those two at bats coming.

Diaz with the 4-3 and Overpaid with the backwards K. How many days till the deadline again?

112. buccos since '04 says:

Hold yout breath till Presley. #1through4

113. Naje says:

Wonder if Diaz and company have a polite applause for the late-arriving and late-swinging Overbay…?

114. J_C_Steel says:

Once Wood gets two strikes on him, I feel like the out becomes automatic…

115. DannyMoe says:

Game here at the Trop in Tampa/St. Pete also delayed due to weather tonight. Think that one through…

116. South Park Bucs says:

Alvarez 3 for 4 tonight with a homer. Gotta be the best option at 3rd at this point.

117. JoeBucco says:

@Bug – I guess, but come on. Pedro isn’t going anywhere. Not sure why he’d be getting picked off.

BTW – Gorkys is my pick as most likely player to not be in the organization on August 1. He had a great June, though he’s been terrible in July. Trade value may be as high as its been or going to get.

@JacsBuc

Sorry I missed yu

103

@JAL

Its high school math, please

WWJJD?

Only so many sprinkles Nuttin haa

No different than any of us

Who comes in after Charlie?

Beat em Bucs

119. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@DannyMoe

How does that happen?

120. DannyMoe says:

What’s the mood on the board about Tabata as part of a deal? I can remember DK talking about the tremendous sound of the ball coming off his bat a couple Spring Training’s ago.

Nuttin has only so nany $$ in his pocket

122. ddom says:

@Biz, add Clearfield, PA to your list to go over 100.

123. DannyMoe says:

Thunderstorms in the area..power supposedly went out.

124. J_C_Steel says:

DK — I know you’re not the biggest fan of Morton’s curve, but he just struck out Phillips and Bruce back-to-back with that pitch. If it’s workin’, throw it. Right?

By the way, thanks for the congrats, grandkids are amazing, gifts

126. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Not as the primary pitch.

104, and growing, thanks ddom

We need a run or 2 or 3

Biz

Still economics and still no effect. Amazed you don’t see that. Or do you not know what Dickerson’s signing bonus was?

129. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Dejan

Are you going to be making the trip to Atlanta?

130. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Lord have mercy how many times are we gonna K tonite??

131. Jay G -Jacksonville via New Castle says:

D-Backs are beating the Brewers…….It is fun to watch the scoreboard…..

132. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Anyone else here think Dontrelle could bat cleanup for us?

133. J_C_Steel says:

I think Dontrelle Willis should play first base for the Pirates. He looks like a better hitter than Overbay.

134. J_C_Steel says:

@Playoffs by 2012 — Great minds think alike.

135. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JC

Amen!!

136. buccos since '04 says:

They really wanted Tht ball

137. JoeBucco says:

Speed Kills

#LetsGoBucs

138. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Ok, Diaz, I’m begging you, shut me up!!

139. JoeBucco says:

If I told you Pedro Alvarez hit a home run, as did Dusty Brown, while Ronny Cedeno hit a game winning RBI 3B, you’d probably think I was talking about the Pirates.

And Chase d’Arnaud and Alex Presley and geez, I have to shake my head on this season every time I think about it, even still.

140. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Meh…….I’ll take it…..

141. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Way to get the run home, Matt.

142. JoeBucco says:

Overbay doesn’t swing the bat. It’s more of a throw the bat at the ball and hope for the best. Great approach.

143. J_C_Steel says:

The Pirates cannot stay in this race with Overbay at first, can they? Gotta get batter at first base.

I’d love to see Michael Cuddyer in a Pittsburgh Pirates uniform…

144. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I never thought I’d say this, but watching Overbay makes me wish we still had Adam LaRoche…..wow

145. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Dejan

Any talk of the Bucs trying Doumit at first again once he is healthy?

146. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Well, with how Overbay has performed, would you think we’d be above .500?

There’s lots of “holes” in this team, and yet they still keep finding a way to win.

147. Playoffs by 2012 says:

and on top of everything else, Diaz has amazing range out there in right field.

148. buccos since '04 says:

Only 87 pitches he’ll b out for the 6th Mortons a gladiator

149. Chris in warrenton says:

Count Warrenton, VA to the list

150. Bob from mt lebo says:

Oferbay looks like he doesnt even want to be at the plate.

151. JoeBucco says:

Legend at 1B seems like a better option. He has 2 more HR’s than Overpaid in 80 less at bats.

I think when the OF gets deeper (aka Tabata back), then a Pearce / Legend platoon at 1B would be far more productive than Overbay. Maybe Overbay stays on the roster for pinch hitting, but he can’t be our 1B.

152. JoeBucco says:

@2012 – Imagine if we were still in contention when LaRoche hit his “peak” part of the season. We’d be golden with LaRoche right now. Well, not with his injury, but you know what I mean. And he played better D than Overbay has this year.

153. JimY says:

Dejan
    I noticed on Twitter that some people were having trouble finding your blog. Might I suggest putting a link to these chats on the main Pirates page. If it’s there, I’m not seeing it.
    Loved your salute to the fans, by the way. I’ve read it 3 times now, and I’m not done with it.

154. JoeBucco says:

Nice hit by the skinny Tony Gwynn.

Alex Presley ain’t going anywhere.

155. buccos since '04 says:

7-1 when he gets 2

156. J_C_Steel says:

@JoeBucco

If the Pirates strike out on outside options, a Jones/Pearce platoon at the 3 could potentially work. In that scenario, I’m assuming you have a Tabata-Cutch-Presley starting outfield.

157. jerry4367 says:

As a former high school track,speed can kill an oppoents mental approach. Give Clint a big ok.

158. jerry4367 says:

Should read ad aformer high school track coach. sorry!

159. JoeBucco says:

@JC – Yep, can’t take Presley out. Heck, I’m assuming Xavier Paul is the odd man out when Tabata comes back too.

160. JoeBucco says:

Just tweeted this to DK, but will share here too..

Charlie Morton has thrown 23 innings against the Reds in 2011, giving up 1 ER on 13 hits.

Reds Killer

161. ddom says:

Nice inning by Watson. Do you think he’ll come back in for the 7th.

162. buccos since '04 says:

Keep in mind he’s 2-3 from the RIGHT side

163. Andy says:

Charlie Morton’s performance tonight is reminiscent of several games that I heard Veal pitch back in the late 60′s. He would be having a mediocre night, then came a rain delay and he would pitch far better afterwards.

164. JoeBucco says:

And if you recall, that one run that Charlie allowed to the Reds this season was the 2 out, 9th inning homer to Jay Bruce in a 6-0 game at the time.

165. J_C_Steel says:

Cutch now 1 for 17 since the All Star break. Hope he can recover soon from whatever he ate in Arizona…

166. Playoffs by 2012 says:

It is high….
    Is is out of the infield…
    It is caught….

0-2, not that I’m counting

167. JoeBucco says:

Elementary, my dear.

Very nice outing by Tony Watson.

168. buccos since '04 says:

Please Root sports stop this. Much rather watch commercial reruns

169. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JoeBucco

We would never be anywhere close to where we are now with LaRoche on the team. The day he left was the day this organization was finally able to transition to a team that could one day contend. LaRoche was the definition of apathy.

170. J_C_Steel says:

How will Overbay make an out now? Strikeout, groundout or pop up?

171. J_C_Steel says:

Pop up.

172. buccos since '04 says:

Pop put for 500 joe

173. vandelay industries says:

It’s perfectly ok to not be able to have the nerves to watch our 8th inning right?

174. JoeBucco says:

More Watson. Why not?

Get your #65 Watson jerseys on MLB.com before they all sell out. The way he’s looking tonight, you never know.

Votto… have a seat.

175. Jay G -Jacksonville via New Castle says:

Watson is looking good……Brewers still down by 3………

176. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Drama Time

177. ddom says:

Dang…that was still awesome by Watson considering what the bullpen had to do last night.

178. JoeBucco says:

More fun with Wikipedia…

Check the box on the right hand side, under “Owner”?

179. JoeBucco says:

Brewers lose.

2 outs from being ALONE in 1st place.

180. J_C_Steel says:

Hammer’s slider is utterly unfair after those pinpoint 96-mph fastballs. Love it.

181. J_C_Steel says:

0-2… Bring the slider, Hammer!

182. J_C_Steel says:

FIRST PLACE!

183. AJS says:

Can you say “sole possession of first place?”

Can anyone believe it? What a fun season.

184. Playoffs by 2012 says:

This team continues to amaze me. I have no words. Best Summer EVER!!

185. ddom says:

To everyone at the ballpark tonight, good work!

186. TheSaltyRogue says:

Yarrrrr…

GO BUCS.

187. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Sigh… sure is lonely at the top…

188. JoeBucco says:

50 wins.

Only 7 away from matching last year.

We’ve had three days since 1992 when we’ve been 6 games over .500 at any point in the season, not counting right now. 11-5, 12-5, and 12-6 on April 20-22, 2002.

The 12-5, 7 games over .500 is the high water mark since 1992. A win tomorrow night matches that. We’ve not been 8 games over since 1992.

189. ddom says:

A lot of heroes tonight. But don’t forget about d’Arnaud’s play in the first with bases loaded and his base running in the fourth. The kid definitely came to Pittsburgh to play!

190. Baywatch says:

To infinity and beyond!

191. JoeBucco says:

Pirates are now 23-13 against the NL Central.

Yes, seriously.

192. JoeBucco says:

As Sammy Sosa used to say…

Keep it continue.

193. buccos since '04 says:

U hear the radio a lot more during post game interviews than in the past. #groovy

194. JoeBucco says:

If Chase is going to miss any time, I would have to assume that means Pedro comes back.

195. ddom says:

DK – Any word yet on his injury?

196. Ed says:

I was there tonight. The crowd at the end of the game wasn’t huge, but they were very into the game.

197. JollyRogerNY says:

Great win to start the home stand.

198. Kevin says:

For those who care what how much attention the national media really pays to our Buccos, (DK look away) here is an ESPN.com headline once you drill down past the obligatory Yankees front page story “Chad Morton stops Reds to help Pirates assume 1st in Central”. Ground Chad? Come on get it right.

199. buccos since '04 says:

Soooooooooo… Anybody see the teaser to the new batman movie. Looks pretty awesome.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back