Taking a brief break

I’ll be taking what amounts to a three-day break right after this weekend, so all that you’ll see here over the next five days is the timed game threads for the Pirates.

It’s kind of weird to be taking any kind of break only six weeks after I took the new job, but this one actually was set up several months ago with my whole family, and it would have been immensely difficult to change.

My next Wakeup Call, my next newspaper column and the next chat all will come Friday.

Be good.

Dejan

Comments

1. Hamburger Jones says:

While it will be hard not being able to read the best sportswriter in PGH for a week, at least I don’t have to honor this site with the hits. Enjoy the vacation DK.

2. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Enjoy the time off, you will be missed.

3. HOF Coach says:

Dejan,

Enjoy your most deserving time off. You are the hardest working sportswriter that I have ever had the pleasure of reading!

HEAP IT ON!

4. T.J. says:

Enjoy your break with your family, Dejan. There is nothing like spending time with family.

As HOF Coach said above…”Heap it on!”. Well said…

Some Blues in the Night Morning Links

CBS Sports

Pittsburgh vs. St. Louis Game Preview

Bleacher Report

MLB Trade Deadline: Ranking the Top 13 Relievers on the Market

9. Poz says:

DK,
    Not only do you deserve the time away, but your family needs the time with you. Enjoy the time off.

10. Eric Bowser says:

with news of Pedro’s locker being cleaned out and name plate taken down, I don’t expect to see him back with the team any time soon. Pirates need a third baseman because they can’t compete with Wood, d’Arnaud, and Pearce.

11. Eric Bowser says:

@DK – Enjoy the much deserved family time and don’t get caught reading twitter/emails.

12. Curt says:

You deserve the break. Enjoy the time off!
    @Eric- where did you hear that about Pedro? Just curious.
    Anyone else think the game was lost last night by not walking Pujols in the first and setting up for a possible double play? He kills us year in and year out.

13. SterlingCooperDraperPrice says:

Would Don Draper take a vacation…well, I bet if we could all drink at our jobs, we wouldn’t need to…

14. JMB says:

Vacation –in the middle of the pennant race, the trade deadline, and the NFL labor agreement?

Enjoy yourself DK….can we get a few #heapiton tweets b4 you go?

____________________________________________________

I see Michael Bourne might be available at a better price from the ‘stros. I think he has one more year of service time so he would be a ’11 & ’12 acq.

After watching GFJ’s atrocious D in RF last night, I think Bourne would be a great guy for LF and the then Tabby & King can share RF.

Of course, I have no idea the cost. He is a 4-5 WAR player, so he wont be cheap, but he sounds cheaper than Pence.

Bourne could hit leadoff and maybe teach the rest of the team how to run the bases without looking like cracked out lemmings. I am tired of these dudes and their base-running ineptitude!

__________

PA should stay down until he is 100% ready to rock. We cannot afford for him to turn into a mega-bust.

The stress to come up and instantly start mashing leads me to believe he will struggle, at this point.

15. Eric Bowser says:

@Curt

per Rob Biertempfel via Twitter
    “Pedro Alvarez’s locker in #Pirates clubhouse has been cleaned out. Even name plate is gone. Message: don’t expect quick return from minors.”

16. Dejan,
    Enjoy! Enjoy!
    Spending time with your family is vastly more important than spending time with us!

We’ll leave a light on for ya.

By the way, I hate losing to the Phillies.
    I hate times 10 losing to the Cardinals.
    And the Brewers are even worse!!!

Forget moving to the National League East.
    I prefer playing the Reds, the Cubs, the surly Brewers, and the stepford-wives Cards!

17. aglebagel says:

Too bad, DK. I would love to see you and the guy whose name with a lisp would be “Thmizik” have an all-out debate about when to bring up Pedro. It would be good fun!

18. aglebagel says:

But seriously, enjoy your break.

19. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Thanks to everyone. Really, it’s just three days and change. I’ll be back in ample time for the Pirates’ bold, expensive initiatives in upgrading this roster. The Heap It On moment of a generation!

20. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I nominate that quote —- “I’ll be back in ample time for the Pirates’ bold, expensive initiatives in upgrading this roster.” — for quote of the season. Can I get a second??

21. Playoffs by 2012 says:

By the way, our prayers for a third baseman have been answered.

The Blue Jays have released infielder Ramon Vazquez according to the Pacific Coast League transactions page. The 34-year-old hit .288/.367/.363 in 90 Triple-A plate appearances after signing a minor league deal in mid-June.

22. CDBrewer says:

JMB,

I LOVE the Bourne idea. I would put him in CF and move Cutch – Bourne might be the only better CF out there right now, but that is minor.

He is a great fit, and if they think they could extend him beyond next year, I would consider including either Tabata or Presley in the package.

Bourne is a name that interests me partially because he fits with the style of ball this team plays – he is just better at it.

You nailed it on the baserunning – he would be great for some of our other “base stealers” to be around.

Yep. I want a pitcher and Bourne. (or Helton – he is still my dream scenario)

23. CDBrewer says:

Oh and Chris Davis might be a DOA topic now. Beltre hurt his hammy and Davis got pulled from his game at Round Rock. Davis is who they think the Rangers would recall even thought there is talk of moving Young to 3B.

Beltre (my fantasy 3B) has an MRI today. In other fantasy news, Kelly Johnson tweaked his calf last night- oh wait, that is just MY fantasy news…lol

24. CDBrewer says:

Throw out a name if he gets off the DL in time…
    Erik Bedard will cost a ton of money, BUT he is pitching well this year and the latest injury has NOTHING to do with his arm – it is a knee.

We probably would have to throw in a symbolic player for the M’s, but basically they would want the salary gone. The M’s just want to keep Vargas and Fister and their Big 2 (Hernandez and Pineda).

Heap it on moment of a life time

I like it

But most likely won’t like the results

26. pattonbb says:

Carlos Quentin is available. I’d like to see his bat in our lineup.

27. LikeaBugonaRug says:

DK, while you’re gone, can I have the keys to the car?

28. Eric Bowser says:

Quentin would be nice to have

29. pattonbb says:

No game thread tonight? Guess the “timed game threads” aren’t quite there yet.

30. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Michael Bourn??!!?? Come on people, we don’t need another speedy, no power guy in the lineup. We need the 3 run homer type of players. We’re stocked quite well with good speed, no power at this point.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle