On location: Phillies 7, Pirates 4

PHILADELPHIA – Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (54-50) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (66-39)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 92 degrees, all clear

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Ryan Howard, 1B
  5. Hunter Pence, RF
  6. Raul Ibanez, LF
  7. Placido Polanco, 3B
  8. Carlos Ruiz, C
  9. Cliff Lee, LHP

Rob Biertempfel has news updates on the Bucco Blog, and I’ll chime in, too, from right down the row in the same press box.

I’m going down right now to snap a couple pics for you.

Neil

Walker signs autographs, as always, for Pirates fans behind the visitors’ dugout.

UPDATE 7:07 p.m.: First pitch from Lee to Ciriaco, 90 degrees.

Comments

1. CDBrewer says:

Ahhh, the lineup we all envisioned back in April!
    lol

2. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

The Phils scored 7 runs in 2 innings last night….At the time I was wondering if we’d score 7 in the series……It may be tough…..Sure hope I’m wrong….

3. CDBrewer says:

@Jay

And that is a very hitter friendly park…
    I will go with the “over” on 7 for the series, but only because of the 3 garbage time runs last night.

4. Bucco_Jax says:

Ciriaco and Diaz leading off…I can’t see this going well.

5. Curt says:

Its going to be a tough one to watch tonight. Lineup looks….well at least they’ll play hard.
    Heard there is some sort of deadline or something tomorrow wonder if the FO knows this?!?

6. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

It’s been a tough stretch of games…..Let’s small ball a victory this weekend….we’ll be ok…..The bats will wake up a bit…Changes will be made even if it’s just our guys getting healthy/minor league call ups/certain players seeing more pine time…….all in all a great ride….Let’s keep fighting……PS…..very impressive how D McCutchen was busting tail trying to get infield singles the other night……100% effort……We love it….

7. JMB says:

DK –

I think you wrote up the Baseball America article on the farm system in the off-season.

Does that lack of interest by other teams in the Pirates prospects lower their value in your eyes?

I cant believe the Phillies turned an 8th rounder from 09 and a 30+ rounder from 2008 and got Pence!

8. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Welcome over to the wrong side of the state, DK! Hopefully you brought some luck with you from the ‘Burgh.

Kevin

9. Curt says:

Just read that Derrek Lee has been held out of the lineup tonight for the O’s.
    Perhaps we may have traded for him and finally Lyle Overpaid is done?

10. JMB says:

If I’m Scott Boras, I’m driving a hard bargain on Cole & Bell. Those two could give the Pirates three top 50 prospects pretty quickly.

The missed picks in NH’s drafts are really going to put a team that cant sign FA’s behind the 8-ball.

11. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Bucs’ negotiations for Willingham are dead, per Buster Olney

12. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Hot rumors of Lee to Pirates… but Dejan just tweeted they want high value prospects

Ok, so we are 2 1/2 games out

Anyone want to grump at me for saying the FO is pretty much overmatched?

Look at this line up

Opportunity is knocking

Tick, tick, tick, tick

Not good news at MLB TradeRumors regarding progress

Beat Em Bucs

Bucco Nation – at the Trib, Never say die
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach
    Colorado – Ft Collins
    Connecticut – Cos Cob
    Delaware. Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach (somewhat reluctantly), Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville
    Georgia – Marietta
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis
    Iowa – Bettendorf
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, North Chicago
    Kentucky – Louisville
    Japan – Tokyo
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon
    New York – New York, Smithtown
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Mason, Louisville, Columbus
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    Tennessee – Smithville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane
    West Virginia – Martinsburg
    Wisconsin – Madison

111 locations represented in the blog, First Place in both the Burgh blogs and could be in the running for the NL Central, except we have a FO that doesn’t know too much about success

7/30/2011 6:27 PM

15. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

I really have a gut feeling the Pirates are about to land Derrek Lee…

16. pattonbb says:

I’m all in favor of Derrek Lee….as long as the price is right. The guy plays a nice 1b and has been hitting.

Would he instantly make us a contender? No. Would we be a better team with him on 1st? I think we would.

I dunno, the price is “awfully high”

Great,

And no, I do not want another JBay trade

Do you rehire NH if he whiffs come tomorrow?

18. pghboyinca says:

I think Ted Williams cryogenically frozen head perched on top of first base instead of Overbay is an improvement. Tick….tick….tick….

19. Eric Bowser says:

As DK pointed out via twitter, Lee’s lifetime numbers at PNC Park are quite good with .297/.370/.470 and he’s been on fire since All-Star break hitting .321 with 3 HR and 13 RBI.

20. pghboyinca says:

Just think if we could have landed 2 decent kids in the Bay trade instead of 4 stiffs? We might have a first baseman and right fielder now. Oh wait we still have the future Cy Young winner Bryan Morris to show fo that.

21. Curt says:

Since I live near “Birdland”, just watched MASN’s pregame and they mention that Derrek Lee is most likely landing with the Pirates or D’Backs. Hope we get him!

22. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Twitter is on fire about Lee going to Pirates. Stay tuned!

23. Mcpitt88 says:

diaz just said everyone in the locker rooms is on mlb trade rumors.com …. when our players know they need a bat and keep watching for it seems they r lacking confidence

24. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Having Lee in the line-up would change the dynamics of how the other team pitches to the guys around him. Set him up3rd ahead of Cutch. I like the thought.

25. ExileInDC says:

@ Eric: Yeah, but Lee was hitting against Pirate pitching to achieve those numbers (and not the 2011 version!).

26. SterlingCooperDraperPrice says:

@DK

The bucco blog link hasn’t worked all year, just a heads up.

Also, I remember you and I discussing Lee in a chat earlier. I think he is a great addition. He shouldn’t cose more than a C-type prospect, maybe Waldron, and then picking up his salary.

Getting him back in the NL Central could be a way to get him going again, thoughts?

27. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Bucs may have to give up Maholm and a minor league pitcher to get Lee.

Looks like they want a couple of pitchers, anyways…

So to repeat

IT IS TICK TOCK–~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look it up, listen to any analog clock–go to you tube and listen to the 60 minutes clock

I can understand one person not knowing that but two!

29. Eric Bowser says:

Lee’s value according to Tim Williams is one 22under and one 23over pitchers.

30. Eric Bowser says:

JAL – What… no one knows a clock goes tick tock???????????? I’m 33 and I know that… damn this must be a young crowd

31. JMB says:

I’m gonna regret entering this convo…

BUT,

isnt tick tick tick like the 60mins theme song deal?

32. pattonbb says:

I have to admit, this clock sound discussion has caused me to laugh a few times. For the record, I use an alarm on my phone. It doesn’t “tick” or “tock”, but when the alarm goes off it says “And there was nooooooooo doubt about it”!

carry on….

33. CDBrewer says:

Look at these:

ave/obp/slg

.239/.296/.389

.239/.308/.362

Those are the numbers from Lee and Overbay on July 19th.

Sure, one got hot, but you all want the self stimulation trade. Give up a prospect to get a guy Baltimore is sick of watching, like we are sick over Overbay.

See, other gm’s make mistakes too.
    They get paid to do better, but they got so much more than they should have for Nady, the Bay/Nady deals are a wash for me.

34. JMB says:

jcrasnick
    Talked to a bunch of #Pirates before the game. Several asked if they’re going to deal for a bat. Fans not the only ones watching. #trades

35. CDBrewer says:

JMB

I think they need help too, but I just can’t see giving much up for Lee.

Really interesting to see the players looking.

36. JMB says:

It’s been three years, but watching Beltran & Pence get top 40 prospects has been frustrating.

Manny $$$$ / Bay / We should have gotten Kershaw!

37. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: No, I’ve said all along — and wrote in the BA Handbook — that there isn’t much in the way of position players in the system. Just a quantity of pitching.

38. JMB says:

Indians sound close on Ubaldo, and they are only one game over .500!

“All In”

39. CDBrewer says:

“quantity of pitching”
    oy.
    Not even quality pitching.
    oy.

@Bowser, (from previous thread)

Agreed on Ludwick, he could change the lineup, but Lee alone…just changed what the poor hitting 1B looks like.
    He’s been hot a week. Okay, that’s why we would give up minor prospect, not just cash.

Also, your point about hitting in the right order is smack on. Been a problem for Pirates since the day Bonds left.

40. JMB says:

@CDB

That’s exactly what I was gonna type!

“quanity”…blah

The problem with the team is that we really do need too much stuff.

They need Lee & Bourn (& PA to get hot) to make a difference, but I keep hearing they have no interest in Bourn at all.

41. CDBrewer says:

Okay, here is what I am mad at in this inactivity…

Davis AND Hunter for Uehara?
    Didn’t we have a reliever we could have flipped into a bigger bat or something?

I see them as narrow minded right now.

JMB,
    That is why we have no interest in Bourn…We can’t see that the Braves would pay dearly for him – and restock our system.

Just shortsighted.

42. pattonbb says:

Hey, we got Hunter Pence out!!

43. CDBrewer says:

All that said about quantity and all…

Remember, when they took over, we were unequivically the worst farm system in the league. They got there without quality or quantity. lol

And no Dominican facility to speak of.

44. Steve Smith says:

Same Little League ball by the Bucs tonight. They need to get their heads in the game.

45. Dave says:

If they even can get someone like Derek Lee he is 35 if it was 2004 we could be excited but its 2011 his better days are long gone if thats the only bat we can get we need to just hold onto whatever prospects we have.

46. pattonbb says:

I can’t imagine Lee would cost us too much. All this talk of the O’s wanting prospects might just be part of the negotiations. Baltimore is looking for payroll relief.

JMB

No, listen carefully to 60 minutes clock–two different sounds just like real analog clock.

48. CDBrewer says:

LOL
    We are really talking about the 60 minutes clock…
    What a different year this year, that is all we had to speak of game days last season!

49. JMB says:

gave me a good chuckle!

I have been sports agitated all day over the lack of activity.

Ubaldo to tribe is done, and we are….?

50. CDBrewer says:

“done.”, JMB

Anybody else wondering if the Rocks are questioning Ubaldo’s durability?

51. pattonbb says:

What did the Indians give up for Ubaldo?

52. Eric Bowser says:

Indians acquiring Jimenez has to take them out of the game for Ludwick and I’m really surprised they gave up both Alex White and Drew Pomeranz but look, they are in it to win it…. remember Neal???? All in. LOL

53. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Someone tweeted:

“Carpe Diaz. Seize the K”

54. Dave says:

Once again management is letting the team and the fans down when ur only move so far one day till the deadline is signing Jason Grilli. This year has been exciting to watch and follow but this is getting very frustrating.

55. Eric Bowser says:

@Dave – and some think Huntington deserves an extension? Sorry DK, disagree on that one with our weak farm system.

56. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Indians just landed Ubaldo. C’mon, Neal!

57. CDBrewer says:

Bowser,

Is it weak, or is it just middle of the road?
    I think those in the know have us in the middle of the pack…but I could be wrong.

And you disagree, but I think making it middle of the pack in 3 years after it being a train wreck, and what we have pulled up to the big club, isn’t so bad.

They can do better, they have to get better. I think they botched the deadline a little – not with what they didn’t acquire, but not seeing that a little creativity might get them in a better place.
    I just don’t know who would have taken that job 3 years ago and could have done better.
    It wasn’t like ANYBODY in baseball wanted to be associated with the Bucs.

58. pattonbb says:

Wow..

Ryan Howard would look great in a Pirates uni….wait a minute….didn’t we almost …. oh nevermind.

59. Steve Smith says:

3-0 game over. No bats going tonight. JMac getting too frustrated to be pitching properly tonight.

60. pattonbb says:

it could be worse…Yankees just scored 12 in the first and are still batting against Baltimore

61. CDBrewer says:

Yankees got 12 in the first of the night cap…
    Runs that is.
    That is a week for us.

62. Eric Bowser says:

If the Pirates were aggressive and serious in their pursuit of major league help for this team, then waiting until July 31st was a horrible front office decision by Neal Huntington. This team had a chance, a slim chance and now with this series against Philadelphia coupled with the moves by St. Louis and Milwaukee to improve their roster and beat up on Chicago and Houston, these Pirates are about to be virtually eliminated from contention.

There’s no way they’ll skip over both teams with this roster.

Hurdle said it at the press conference and management/ownership said if they win and fans came, they would be able to support acquisitions… guess what, they have less than a day to find two hitters but it will be too little, too late.

After this weekend, team could be 3.5 to 4.5 games out of first place.

All in my butt!

63. Dave says:

Also we can all be disappointed in a few weeks when we fail to sign Cole and Bell from this years draft class

64. CDBrewer says:

3.5/4.5 games out isn’t the problem.
    The problem is we aren’t nearly as good. NOT NEARLY.

We would have had to move earlier, but still, the Cards and Milwaukee were always going to be stronger, and more willing to sell out for this year.

Again, I didn’t believe in this year, it has been pretty evident we have overachieved and the Brewers and Cards (and Reds and Cubs) have under achieved.
    This was not a situation for us to sell the future because of such a bright present.

I have hope that age helps this group – Pedro especially – and health returns. That coupled with a little experience of playing the full year for real for the pitching staff (Karstens especially) could lead to a bright present…but not today.

65. Eric Bowser says:

@Dave – I think Cole is a slam dunk but major fail by Pirates if they don’t get Bell signed. I know he’s a tough sign but he has Boras as an advisor, which means, he’ll do business for first round pick money… Pirates don’t have a single power hitter in system, they must sign him. Bell is even bigger requirement after they failed to act early enough to get the help for the major league team.

Its a real good thing our minor league system is so flooded

Yeah, I’m ticked

Oh oh, do I have to explain that word ticked??

Neal, baby, get on with your life’s work, you are not cutting it

Slick Frank Coonelly, no thanks, hey where is my wallet?

Its just disappointing, thats all

67. Eric Bowser says:

CDBrewer – There’s no guarantee, none at all, that this team will be anywhere close to the division lead again over the next three years. They have very little depth in the field and really need their top pitchers to become legit major league starters. If Taillon, Heredia, and Allie don’t succeed, this rebuild will be exposed as a farce. It seems everyone believes the 2014 season is some anointed right of the Pirates but I don’t see it with the contract status of McCutchen up in the air and unsure of others like Tabata, Presley, Alvarez, and Walker.

This was the season to make a move because we saw it (first place/division within distance), I can’t see it happening over the next three years.

And yes, I know the Pirates would likely get bombed in a playoff series against Philadelphia but I’m not high on Atlanta or San Francisco.

68. Dave says:

@Eric nothing with this teams management is a slam dunk it should happen but not holding my breath

69. Eric Bowser says:

See that Neal!! Little League players (Pearce) screwing this team with their defense, ignore their pathetic offense.

Unreal

70. Steve Smith says:

Did I say Little League earlier, I think I meant T-Ball.

71. CDBrewer says:

Understood Bowser, no guarantee.
    I get it, but I think if we chased this year, Albert and the Cards and Fielder and the Brewers would outlast us. And really, only one of them has to because the Braves are winning the WC.

I just didn’t see this year without Ludwick and Pena and Dotel and Marquis…or that kind of overhaul.

I think this offseason is the “show me the money” moment. Next year should start as a legit run at it.

Opportunity comes around once in a while,

Look at the St Louis moves
    Milwaukee moves, Cleveland moves

Hope but expect in Bucco Nation

73. Dave says:

Ciriaco Pearce Wood and Diaz would not even be good enough for the Phillies bench

74. JMB says:

Good to see Frank in the stands instead of murkin’ up the trade process like usual!

75. Steve Smith says:

We’re getting close to our average of 10 strikeouts a game again tonight. The actual average is at about 8 per game, but lately it has been around 11-12 per game. Can’t do much with that.

76. JMB says:

I say we go epic!

27 k’s in one perfect game. If you go down ugly, go down historically!

77. pattonbb says:

I’ll withhold comment until after the deadline. But I keep thinking of a famous quote from Earl Weaver, “When you have an opportunity to win now, you win NOW”.

This year may be a fluke, but imagine what a couple of the available bats would have meant to us. It didn’t have to be Beltran or Pence.

This club busts their butts,

The FO sits on theirs and twiddles their thumbs

79. pattonbb says:

Ludwick an Indian too?

80. pattonbb says:

Maybe Cliff Lee could play rf for us

81. CDBrewer says:

I just didn’t think we REALLY had a chance to win now…
    It felt like we were holding on with our finger tips…

Look at the last homestand – good homestand, but couldn’t get either sweep and then needed to salvage the last game against the Reds…not a complaint, but that is NOT a great team.

Giants had a 9 or 10 and 0 homestand this year, and that was without Beltran. Phillies are dominant. Braves had a really good record with NOTHING from Uggla (until the last 3 weeks).

We weren’t winning anything this year.

82. Eric Bowser says:

I don’t need to quote anyone but Clint Hurdle, “Are you all in?”

83. CDBrewer says:

Lee in RF for us!!
    Micah Owings for RF or 1B!!

Now that would be creative…

hahaha

Guys, we got to the deadline in contention! We were buyers this year.

Who saw that coming? C’mon, we are doing okay – this is the best team in the league AND we hit their top 2 pitchers.

84. JMB says:

All this prospect talk leads to this article.

“When you have an opportunity to win now, you win NOW”

ALL IN

85. CDBrewer says:

How about a Doumit quote:
    “Oh, we’ll hit, dude.”

Nobody thought THIS would be our problem.

86. Eric Bowser says:

CDBrewer – then when you do you want to win? You can’t pick your seasons because maybe in 2014, there’s that year again, another team (Phillies, Giants, Braves) will have a tremendous team and just whip the Pirates in the playoffs.

87. pattonbb says:

CDB – You might be right. I guess we’ll never know.

I just think if you’re a first place team in a division with a couple underperforming favorites, that also have key injuries, how can you not roll the dice?

88. CDBrewer says:

JMB,
    great link…

“Better known for his bombshell wife, Anna…”

Hahaha…headcase nibbler deserves that completely.

89. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

LOL at this tweet:

“What the buccos need is not d. Lee but bruce lee. Unfortunately will likely get sara lee.”

90. pattonbb says:

Ubaldo not an Indian after all.

91. pattonbb says:

not yet anyway…

92. JMB says:

sara lee makes good chzcake!
    ;-)

93. CDBrewer says:

@Bowser and Patton

Believe me, I want it too…I just think that when you sell out for a year, you better be close. You should have had an expectation you were close early. DK is right about one thing, these guys have never been near the world of BUYERS. This is as good an experience for the FO as it is for the players growing up. And I can’t kill them for never having done it before…again NOBODY wanted our job.

The point about another monster team is well taken – especially since the Yanks and Sox are always lurking – but that is why you target years, or groups of prospects. I think of it a little like college football – VERY few teams reload, you rebuild and take your shot every 3rd or 4th year. Of course, we were starting like a 1-AA team, so it took a bit longer.
    My view is next year should be the opening of the window – and it should start with a SUCCESSFUL free agency period. For me the target can move, but it is a mentality from the onset, almost…

I do think the FO is blowing it, but I don’t think it is all their fault. We are a ‘tweener team in a division with 2 two teams who see their windows as shaky.

But I get it. Just not sure we have clarity either way after losing for 18 years – we are both/either too ready to be patient and too ready to jump at nothing.

94. CDBrewer says:

THAT was the problem! He was in a Stros uni!

Put him in the Philly uni and he can’t hit us.

95. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Pence is still 0-for-Philadelphia

96. Eric Bowser says:

You know I might have given this FO the benefit of the doubt but their decision to say the fans had to come out first and support the team in order to help fund a winner, well guess what… the fans stepped up.

97. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Hurdle should have let D-Cutch bat for himself.

98. Curt says:

I have decided that Buctown! Pt. 2 is the reason why we have been struggling lately.

99. JMB says:

I remember that ESPN article last year that said NH was one of the least liked GM’s.

He claims he has a pocket full of $$$, and no one wants to dance with him.

He needs to start going for drinks at the GM meetings!

100. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Ugh. I hope it’s “See ya, Overbay. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.”

Lord knows you couldn’t hit the door.

101. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Pirates actively engaged in trade discussions
    By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com | 07/30/11 8:38 PM ET

102. JMB says:

I’m an eternal optimist because I still have some faith that NH will be involved in about three separate deals tomorrow. O-fer-day & Diaz are better than Church & Crosby!

103. CDBrewer says:

JMB,

I wasn’t sure what to make of that piece, but you bring it up at a good time.
    If you get fleeced by a comrade, that is one thing, but to get fleeced by the db is another.

His likeability might be a problem that is not fixable.

And if it is, he could have worked as hard as he wanted, but like all sales, you ultimately go with the guy you connect with if it is equal.

104. pghboyinca says:

tick….tick….tick……at last deal Maholm for a young first baseman if you are going to sit around doing nothing N.H. I see whee Texas dealt their young first baseman today. Make a deal for next year right now while soemone has a need for Maholm down the stretch. As amatter of fact if you are mailing it in trade Karstens while his market value is sky high. The worst thing we can do is nothing. Either make a move for this year or set up next year so we have an additional bat or two. There is no way this front office can do nothing is there? tick…tick….tick…..

105. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

GO BUCS!

C’mon Petey.. Go-Ball!

106. pattonbb says:

Furcal to the Cards…probably.

107. Steve Smith says:

The Fort, Pinch Hitter, and Ciriaco – I feel a rally comin’ on in the top of the 9th!

108. pattonbb says:

Please be Good Veras…Please be Good Veras…Please be Good Veras

109. pattonbb says:

Bad Veras…..

110. CDBrewer says:

Ohhhh, he was saving the heroics to bury us…now I see.

111. CDBrewer says:

Okay, normally I find Greg Brown annoying and a homer, but tonight I feel like they have been reading the blogs and are a flippin’ commercial for management.

Just all night with little asides…and it isn’t perspective keeping…
    Maybe I am over reacting, but tonight feels like “this broadcast is brought you by Make Sure NH and FC are Employed Next Year.”

112. pattonbb says:

Bad, bad Veras….

Hope but expect

@CDB

Really?

114. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Veras: 21 pitches 8 strikes (three for hits) and 13 balls.

115. Eric Bowser says:

According to Dan Connolly of Baltimore Sun, Pirates and Orioles are close to deal involving Derrek Lee to Pittsburgh. No info as of yet on the deal.

116. TDB1977 says:

According to MLBTradeRumors – 8:57pm: The Pirates are “getting very close” to acquiring Lee, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links). A deal is “very likely,” Connolly reports. The Orioles are likely to send cash to Pittsburgh and obtain a Class A player.

117. JMB says:

danconnollysun
    1 source said it’s “very likely” Lee ends up with Bucs, tho Pitts will look at medicals closely. O’s likely to pay money and get A ball plyr

Everyone wants to pay money to get players.

118. JMB says:

golden sombrero for Fort tonight.

paging dewey!!

119. Eric Bowser says:

Connolly now tweets that Orioles would send some money and get a Single A player. I have to assume that means a pitcher.

120. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Bleh. Lousy game.

All eyes to the trade wire…

121. JMB says:

A level hitter…who could that be?

122. CDBrewer says:

@Biz,

If you mean about the broadcast…yeah, tonight was more annoying with that stuff..for me.

If you mean that we should expect windows at certain times, yeah, I completely buy in to that kind of thinking. Out the door you go if your window doesn’t open – even if it was injuries or whatever…
    Hurdle said it, “it isn’t a try hard league, it is a do-good league.”

But you have to realize we were working from an incredible deficit.

No signings this offseason, then I am with everybody else on the Nutting and FC and NH, but I feel like we are switching horses in the middle of the race going for it now – we need that much to be competitive.

123. Dave says:

What ever happend to ownership saying they’ll pony up the cash when the time comes for the team to be a winner? Instead of spending a few million from the ski resort they’re July trade deadline is Derek Lee? They might as well get a rotten salmon and slap the fans in the face with it. Derek Lee is the best they could do? The guy hasn’t been good in 2 years. They’d have been better DFA’ing Oferbay and bringing Hague or Bowker up from AAA. I’m sure one of them could probably get an OPS of about .700 for the last 2 months of the season.

124. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

OH MY GOD!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING CAUSE THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL BEAT THE PIRATES!!!! THE FAILURES DON’T WIN EVERY GAME!!! PATHETIC!!!

That’s all I have to say. {ridiculous nonsense}

125. pattonbb says:

A level hitter? I like the way that sounds. Didn’t know we had any.

126. JMB says:

Dejesus just got pulled, so is he next?

127. CDBrewer says:

I like Dejesus, but we don’t need him, but I like him.

I don’t mind Conor Jackson either…
    And Balfour?

128. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates were interested in Dejesus, nothing on twitter yet

129. JMB says:

It seems some front offices leak info like a sieve, but the Pirates keep all of their beat guys in mushroom-ville!

130. JMB says:

reds / giants just ended, so it is time for MLBN trade talk!

131. JMB says:

JaneMLB
    #Athletics announce DeJesus left the game with right thumb soreness.

132. pattonbb says:

I like DeJesus too, but not sure what he exactly brings to the Bucs.

133. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates get Lee, they can’t stop now. They need two outfielders because Diaz, Pearce, Paul, and Jones just are not good enough.

Go get Johnny Damon and Ryan Ludwick, lol.

134. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

The A level hitter bothers me. If it’s Rojas or God forbid Grossman, I think I’ll puke.

135. buccos since '04 says:

Lee behind walker nots bad

136. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Just tweeted:

JerseyBuccoFan10th Player!
    @MLBNetwork announced the Lee trade to the #Pirates.

137. bill says:

lee goes tp the bucs for a low a hitter fine with me but i agree they cant get it done with just lee willingham ludwick, damon would be nice but no rumors for him

138. Eric Bowser says:

Figure the lineup looks like this as of now with Lee on team
    1. Paul, LF
    2. Jones, RF
    3. McCutchen, CF
    4. Walker, 2B
    5. Lee, 1B
    6. Alvarez, 3B
    7. McKenry, C
    8. Cedeno, SS

Pirates need at least one more hitter (outfielder).

139. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

3-4-5-6 should be McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez, Lee

McCutchen is the best hitter on the team. Walker is the most consistent RBI guy. Lee isn’t a clean up guy anymore and Alvarez needs some protection in the lineup.

140. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

And the Pirates have another outfielder. He’s the leadoff hitter and his name is Presley. He’ll be back in about 8 days.

141. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

@ Eric Bowser

I’d flip flop Lee and Pedro. Lee is hitting much better in the 6th slot this season over anywhere else in the lineup.

142. Eric Bowser says:

@Sec143, hopefully this is just temporary because the Pirates need to get two outfielders who can hit the ball and get this, can field their position. The outfield defense from Jones, Pearce, Diaz and Paul has been horrendous so I’m hoping two more acquisitions are on their way.

I won’t lose any lose sleep if those 4 guys are gone and off the bench as well.

143. Eric Bowser says:

Did I just hear this right, Heyman said Pirates could be after BJ Upton?

144. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Just in:

jcrasnick:
    #SFGiants get Orlando Cabrera in trade for OF Thomas Neal. #Indians #trades [via Twitter]

145. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Bucs haven’t really given anything up as of yet… lots of room for more deals…

146. Eric Bowser says:

@Dave G – Exactly, they have $ and pitching to go get another hitter

147. pghboyinca says:

I hope we don’t take money and giv eup agood young player. You wait this long nd then give up a young player for rental and take cash? If you go for arental get em early and take on yhe salary and pay cash. Don’t give up a young hitter , we need those desperatley.

148. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Upton has been linked to Bucs. Probably won’t happen. Paul seems to field RF better than LF. Should play there when in lineup. Also it is being reported 1B Aaron Baker to BAl for Lee.

149. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

I see a lot of comments over the net that Lee’s stats are comparable to Overbay’s. Go to MLB.com and look at the splits. Lee has been hot.

150. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Lee has hit very well since AS break. Trending up as opposed to Overbay, Pearce and Jones who are trending down.

151. CDBrewer says:

I posted this at 7:12…this is a self-stimulation trade…movement because it felt good.
    They are SO similar, except for one week.

Look at these:

ave/obp/slg

.239/.296/.389

.239/.308/.362

Those are the numbers from Lee and Overbay on July 19th.

152. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Another tweet:

bennyheis Ben Heisler
    @
    RT @mlbdepthcharts #Pirates close to acquiring 1B Derrek Lee from #Orioles for 1B Aaron Baker, who has an .820 OPS for Hi-A Bradenton.
    17 seconds ago

153. CDBrewer says:

Okay, 10 days, not 1 week.

I don’t like this because it is an “appease the masses” move sideways.
    I hate that – it isn’t like the chemistry needs to be juggled (like the Cubs or some underperforming team).

154. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

For his career Lee tends to hit better post AS Break. Not as much HR power but better AVG and OPS.

155. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Lee: 6 HR, 19 RBI .805 OPS in July

156. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Derrek Lee Career splits.

About half way down is 1st half 2nd half splits.

157. CDBrewer says:

How about that reliever now?

158. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Derrek Lee is a mild upgrade over Overbay. He’s a better defender and a slightly better hitter currently. Don’t count on any more HR’s though. Lee has 6 HR’s this month. They came in Boston, NY, TOR, TEX, and Balt. All ball parks with much friendlier Left Field dimensions than PNC Park (390 Power Alley and 410 Notch).

Everyone can go ahead and celebrate though. Overbay will be on the bench regularly, if not released.

159. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

DK has a new post up about D. Lee.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle