On location: Phillies 6, Pirates 5

PHILADELPHIA – Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (54-51) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (67-39)

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 89 degrees, mostly clear

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Ryan Howard, 1B
  5. Hunter Pence, RF
  6. Raul Ibanez, LF
  7. Brian Schneider, C
  8. Michael Martinez, 3B
  9. Vance Worley, RHP

Rob Biertempfel has news updates on the Bucco Blog, including trade deadline fodder. I’ll chime in, too, from right down the row in the same press box. But I can tell you most of our stuff will be on Twitter. Speed is of the essence today.

UPDATE 1:42 p.m.: First pitch by Worley to Paul, 89 degrees.

Comments

I know most talk about lack of offense but that is far from strong defense lineup

2. Curt says:

Must be Clint wants to give Mr. Overpay a happy sendoff by playing him yet again.
    I know this sounds extreme, but the Pirates NEED to win this one!

3. Skip says:

Maybe since Bell is choosing to not play for the Pirates today, Aaron Baker should be prohibited from playing for the Orioles organization today (unless Baker has already decided to retire after learning that DK says he’s “nothing” as a baseball player). ;-)

4. JMB says:

Has anyone ever heard NH give an “untouchable” list of his prospects?

I remember the brouhaha about how much they loved Rudy O. compared to other evaluators, but I do wonder about the “NH overrates his prospects” thoughts.

5. CDBrewer says:

Curt,
    Worst case – if we lose and lose ground – is 4.5 after our hardest trip and the Cards and Brewers have easy weeks.
    Not a must win. Very few in baseball.
    Tomorrow Lee and others show up and it will be a new world.

Are the Reds dead? I would say no.
    They will still be further out, no matter what we do and they do.

6. CDBrewer says:

JMB,

You keep bringing up these ancillary reasons to think Huntingdon can’t do the job…AND THEY ALL SEEM VALID!!
    Stop it, we need good mojo! We know is a disliked, arrogant, (word we won’t use)!
    lol

7. JMB says:

I just read KLAW’s insider deal on the Bourn trade to ATL. Now, I’m going to go cry about the missed opportunity.

LOL

8. JMB says:

You can ignore me CDB; I like to grumble. ;-)

All in all, NH is doing a great job this season at the MLB level since we have a winning record, and, in the end, that is all I really care about.

9. CDBrewer says:

JMB,

Can you crib the upshot of the Law piece for us?

10. JMB says:

Houston’s return “shockingly poor …nowhere near sufficient for a guy who … will probably remain underpaid by arb cuz process overvalues power & undervalues defense.”

11. Karen22 says:

Any news yet on WHY Derrek Lee isn’t here today?

12. CDBrewer says:

THAT is what I was saying yesterday about being short sighted…Too many CF’s is not a problem. You flip one of them or you have a killer top of the lineup and no ball makes the notch against you.

I am with you on this.
    Big learning curve for NH et al this year.

13. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Just because Bourn went to Atlanta doesn’t mean other teams including the Bucs didn’t inquire about him. Reds were in on Bourne too. Who knows what Ed Wade saw in the Atlanta package he liked over others.

14. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I’d rather NH overvalue than undervalue.
    I still think a guy like Melky Cabrera could help for a couple months at a lesser price than what the Twins will want for Kubel or Padres for Ludwick.
    Then there is always Willingham, who I haven’t heard mentioned at all the last 24-48 hours.

15. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Another guy not mentioned is Marlon Byrd of the Cubs, who aren’t going anywhere. You’d have to think he’d be available at a lesser value than Kubel & Ludwick.

Its interesting that after all the pitchers we’ve gotten to flood the system with, the move was made for an “A” batter.

Regardless how things work out today, the key for us competing is the head to head games vs the hated Brewers

Beat Em Bucs

17. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

@ PigLegs

From what I have read the Cubs don’t want to move Byrd like they don’t want to move Pena. Makes no sense from a Cubs perspective. Trade them and resign them in the offseason if they’re FA’s.

18. Pig Legs Robinson says:

What’s so great about Bourne? I’m glad they they didn’t get that strikeout machine.

19. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Great defense high OBP. Perfedt for a CF leadoff hitter. Many steals aslo.

20. JMB says:

Bourn is a strikout machine?

19% of the time: 90 K’s total.

Cutch 16.6% of the time: 75 K’s total

21. CDBrewer says:

Sorry, I don’t follow DK on twitter (I don’t have twitter because of my impaired judgment when I am tired), but the wife does….

She told me DK has tweeted that Lee told Hurdle he has “family issues” to take care of, and Hurdle “respected” that. I am good with that on a ton of levels.
    They are people, after all (except for guys like Manny or ARod or McGwire – just can’t excuse touring around the country while cheating).

Why would Melky be cheaper than Kubel?

22. Pig Legs Robinson says:

They need RBI men, not leadoff. Presley will be back soon and he does fine with way more pop than Bourne will ever dream of having.

23. JMB says:

Fun discussions fellow fans, but I gotta catch the game on radio out in the world, so see ya’ on the flip side!

24. CDBrewer says:

Count me in on the top SB guy on a team performing terribly.
    Big Bourn guy too.

25. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Kubel is way better period and long-term. Cabrera is a 2 month rental who will gain 40 pounds over the winter, and KC knows it.

26. JMB says:

jonmorosi
    Source: #Twins “are not trading Kubel.” That’s the strongest I’ve heard it this month. #Pirates

1 last tweet b4 I go!

27. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

@ PigLegs

I thought you meant “why would anyone want Bourn” not why would Bucs want him.

28. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Jon Morosi just tweeted “Twins are NOT trading Kubel.”

29. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I had a feeling from the way NH was talking that the Twins were asking for way more than he wanted to give up for Kubel anyway.
    (That’s why I’m turning my attention to cheaper possibilities instead of these highway robbers for a 2 month rental).

30. JasonThompsonSpeed says:

I just hope – and there’s no way to know — that these deals that AREN’T being made because NH thinks someone like Rudy Owens is the next Tom Glavine.

31. Eric Bowser says:

I’ve been away most of the day, come back to the “tube” to see Lee isn’t in the lineup and won’t be until tomorrow. Strike 1 for Derrek Lee.

No other hitters in the fold as it looks like Ludwick is heading to Cleveland and Kubel won’t be traded by Minnesota. If Pirates and A’s can’t agree on deal with Willingham, that leaves Tampa’s BJ Upton.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.. Neal….

32. CDBrewer says:

@ Bows,

He has a kid with a weird eye thing. He told Hurdle he has family stuff…
    Gotta give him a pass on this.

DK has tweeted and sent out a link to an article about the kid.

33. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Upton is staying put, and thank God. I would not want him on the Pirates. He’s not to be confused with his younger brother Justin.

Boston was about to trade 1b power prospect Lars Anderson to Oakland for Harden and the deal fell through because of Harden’s medical history. The Pirates should look into geting Lars and another prospect for a pitcher.

34. Eric Bowser says:

Love the competitive fire of Jeff Karstens

35. Eric Bowser says:

I know the background on Lee and totally understand it, I’m a father of two but Lee is not the first player traded with children with medical problems. Call me insensitive but the Pirates are 3.5 out of first place because they waited too long to get help and now the one guy they do get isn’t coming until Monday or Tuesday. If Pirates fall 4.5 out, they are going to have a hard time making up 5 games with their brutal August schedule.

When Pirates play STL and MIL, they’ll need to win each series.

36. CDBrewer says:

They weren’t winning the division if Lee had been there last week.
    That is a little bit of a leap to even hint that getting him here the day after he played a double header would make the difference.

They were going to need to win those series if they were tied.
    We aren’t as good.
    Nobody we got can match Fielder or Pujols. That Milwaukee line up will kill us no matter who we had gotten. Have you watched the Phillies this series?
    We have their attention, we didn’t in Pittsburgh.

37. CDBrewer says:

My fear is that we get Lee and Kubel or whoever and then we don’t out and address those needs LONG TERM and in better fashion in the offseason because we showed we were willing to add.

This just isn’t the year. The Cards and Brewers are both better – we could easily sell out and finish 3rd.
    That said, if we could have gotten Bourn cheap, there is no excuse not to have done so. Acquiring better talent is never a bad thing – even if you think it clogs a position.

The waiver deadline, the offseason…or just finding places for 2 All Stars.

38. Eric Bowser says:

CDBrewer – You are asking me if I have been watching these games and you don’t think Lee would make a difference? Have you seen the train wreck at first base? The Pirates can’t win the division when comparing an individual position but if they pitch well, field well, and hit well with men in scoring position, then yes, I think they can win.

They already proved they can compete with their run to first place, short as it was. It happened.

So yes, if Pirates could get Lee in the lineup, it means no Overbay, Pearce and Jones at first base. If they can get an outfielder (not sure who now) to field better and hit better than Jones, Pearce, Diaz and Paul have provided in LF and RF, then yes, make the deal.

39. Skip says:

CD Brewer –

You’re right – it’s over. The Pirates have no chance. They should just forfeit the rest of their games.

40. pghboyinca says:

Is it just me or when we go down 1-0 early you get a feeling that it a a monumental mountain to climb? How difficult would it be to pitch under those conditions? This starting pitching and well as the pen have been phenomenal. What is this regime going to do in the off season to address this pathetic lack of offense?

41. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Bowker homered again.

42. CDBrewer says:

Skip,

You gonna tell me we haven’t over achieved and the others in the division haven’t under achieved?
    This has been a great run, we are there…but this is the first year for so many of these guys. I love the idea of getting some help, but it would have taken an overhaul – a massive overhaul to get the kind of experienced help to make a legit run.
    A Cabrera at SS, a Ludwick in RF, a Lee at first, a Marquis in the rotation, and a Balfour in the pen.
    Sure, all of those moves are completely doable – and they are fairly minimal at each position (no Pence or Ubaldos), but ALL of them would be needed to seriously compete with our tiring, inexperienced team, and their older and better teams.
    There was a reason we were predicted to lose 90 games before the season. Baseball pulls back to the mean.

If you want to make the argument a couple BIG moves would be better, okay…I am not crazy about how the FO has gone about this either, but it is their first time at this. NOBODY wanted that job when they took it.

I also think that making all those changes would destroy the fabric of a clubhouse that is greater than the sum of its parts…ust enjoy this year as the shocker it is.

Next year can have a whole other feel to it because now the FO knows step one has been taken. Gotta crawl, walk, then run. We just about skipped crawling considering last year was more like lying face down in mud.

43. CDBrewer says:

Sec143

Do you want Bowker up?
    Not arguing, but who goes down (or dfa’d)?

Also, he has the numbers of a AAAA guy. But sure, throw it against the wall, but you’d have to give him 2 solid weeks of playing time at least, so who’s sitting?

44. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Just saying a lot of people want to #FreeMattHague when Bowker has been out performing him. I know Bowker sems to be a AAAA guy. Would rather see him here right now than Pearce.

45. Eric Bowser says:

@CDBrewer – Bowker can’t be any worse than Paul, Pearce, Jones and Diaz.

I would demote Pearce to AAA

46. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Padres trade Adams to Rangers for 2 SP prospects. Erlin highly regarded. Bucs should be shopping every RP they have.

47. JFO says:

Aside from mlbtraderumors.com, where is the best place to keep up with legit rumors on trades?

48. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Just saw “mystery” NL team contacted Rockies about Stewart. My guess is it’s the Bucs.

49. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

CLE in win now mode. Close to deal for Wandy Rodriguez.

50. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Right handed bat in Lee coming to play first. Pearce not very good in outfield. Very little power. I would swap him for Bowker in a minute provided Bowker plays pretty much everyday in RF.

51. Eric Bowser says:

I’m not seeing anything from DK or Rob via twitter on possible deals… disappointing, as we head into final hour

52. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Padres got Rangers #4 and #22 pre-season prospects for Adams. Start shopping those RP’s Neal.

53. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Verlader no hitter through 7 innings.

54. Eric Bowser says:

I’m quite surprised Maholm wasn’t dealt…yet

i’d be stunned if Maholm IS dealt.

to be a buyer AND a seller? in a pennant race?

56. pattonbb says:

Pearce has 20 abs since coming back. Are we really going to throw him away already? Good Lord, we gave Overbay 100 games, and people are still trying to justify keeping him.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt Pearce or Bowker are part of this team’s future…at least they better not be.

57. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Definitely a seller market. NH should be shopping everyone. Could be set up real well inyears to come.

58. pghboyinca says:

I think they should ask Overbay for his uniform right here inthe 5th inning and and cut him and make him find his own way home. He sucks but worse is that balnk stare like he could care less. He much due diligence did the front offie do on this clown?

59. CDBrewer says:

No argument on Pearce…
    I wonder if he is healthy. We all were so looking forward to HIM suplanting Overbay.

I like Paul as a 4th OF. Fields well, hustles, good speed.

SWEAR I wrote that before the rbi’s.

60. Eric Bowser says:

holy crap, Paul with 2 out, 2 run single

61. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

@ CD

I was never looking forward to Pearce supplanting Overbay. Don’t think Pearce is good, at all.

Paul real good 4th/5th OF. Decent D at all three spots, good speed. Not a bad piece to have.

62. pghboyinca says:

X-man comes through, don’t forget a great 2 strike sacrifice by Karstens. By tomorow I don’t Overbay or Parce in a Bucs uniform, Hurdle can’t behappy when he has to pencil either one of the those automatic outs in the lineup.

63. pghboyinca says:

And by the way what is up with Garrett Jones? He is a liability in every phase of the game.

64. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Cleveland better win now. What will they have left after Ubaldo, Ludwick and possibly Wandy?

65. hsages211 says:

This day feels kind of surreal to me as a Pirates fan. Watching the Pirates on MLB.tv, watching MLB network trade deadline coverage, and trying to monitor twitter as closely as possible in the hopes the the Bucs actually add players to help the team. Strange, but still fun. Let’s Go Bucs! #heapiton

66. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Now reading Ludwick and Wandy talks have cooled for CLE.

67. Pig Legs Robinson says:

What’s all the anger for about Pearce? He hasn’t even been starting more than a game in row. Why is Overbay out there everyday?

68. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

Speaking of Overbay, did anyone notice that the bunt single in the first for the Phillies, it’s like Overbay didn’t even try to stretch towards Walker…..Not that he can do a split, but there was hardly a stretch at all……so they got a bunt single..

69. Eric Bowser says:

Karstens with Maholm-disease (Pirates score runs and give em right back)… unreal

70. pattonbb says:

OK NH, you have less than an hour. Please try to get a rf for us.

Jarrod Weaver just had a melt down. Gave up a hr to Guillen, talked trash to him as he rounded the bases, talked trash to the ump because he missed a called 3rd strike, then threw a foot over Avila’s head on the next pitch. Got tossed and acted like a real tough guy…from the dugout. What a little girl.

71. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

No anger at Pearce. Just don’t care for him. He gets too much love for doing absolutely nothing.

72. CDBrewer says:

Have to agree with Pig Legs.
    Don’t feel like Pearce got 1/4th the shot Overbay did. Not that Pearce is the answer.

Weaver just gave up shot to Guillen, who stared at Weaver going to first, so Weaver threw 3 feet over Avila’s head and got run.
    Still a no-no for Verlander thru 7.

the only saving grace about Jones is he is cheap. But that is not much saving grace. He’s been as bad as overbay.

Unfortutately Jones is just a $4.5 million less expensive failure this year than Overbay. But it is failure.

Hurts to write that after his magical Legend start. Seems to be a likeable guy.

But this year has been an abject failure for him.

74. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Makes you wonder what they could’ve gotten for Jones in years past.

75. Eric Bowser says:

Yahoo’s Tim Brown says Pirates are back in with Ludwick talks…. nothing yet by Pittsburgh writers on anything….

76. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Word is Bucs back in on Ludwick.

matt weaver’s tweet was best of the week…

@Dejan_Kovacevic #FakeLeeReactions “Woah! I had no idea Pittsburgh had such a sweet Pirates Charities sign!”

78. Steve Smith says:

It’s about time Overbay does something!

79. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Angels scored on Tigers, but still no hit for them.

Overbay is alive. Nice sendoff.

80. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Just heard the Bucs are still working on Ludwick.
    I know his numbers have been deteriorating the past 2 years, but petco park has a good bit to do with that. He could be good protection for Cutch in the batting order though, and when healthy he is a fine all-around player. He coud be useful long term.

By the way, nice going away present there, Lyle!

81. JasonThompsonSpeed says:

No need for that bum Lee :-)

82. pghboyinca says:

That was like a corpse having a muscle twitch.

83. CDBrewer says:

Overbay and Lee platoon…hahaha

84. pattonbb says:

Yea Lyle Overbay!!!

I told ya’ll he was a difference maker…

just kidding… :)

85. Eric Bowser says:

Ludwick to Pirates is close

86. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Jon Morosi says Ludwick to Bucs close.

87. buccos since '04 says:

Who didn’t see that coming

88. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Pearce’s numbers before he got hurt this year were better than Presley’s. I say let the guy start for a week straight at least. Then he isn’t so stressed out. Look how McKenry hits knowing he’s in there everyday. It makes a big difference on the psyche.

89. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Pearce is awful in RF and awful against RHP. No need to give him a week worth of starts.

90. Keith says:

After watching Alvarez strike out on three pitches, anyone else more enthused that the Pirates are interested in Omar Infante??

91. buccos since '04 says:

Ludwick??

92. Eric Bowser says:

Potential lineup
    1. Paul, LF
    2. McCutchen, CF
    3. Walker, 2B
    4. Ludwick, RF
    5. Alvarez, 3B
    6. Lee, 1B
    7. McKenry, C
    8. Cedeno, SS

93. Keith says:

Hey, with all the Bucs on the DL, they need Ludwick, or anyone who can play OF at the ML level.

94. Keith says:

My guess is it’ll end up being a 50/50 platoon with Jones.

95. Keith says:

Until Presley and Tabata are both back.

96. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Ludwick id a type B FA also. Could get a draft pick for him. 4.1 UZR, so decent defender, would benefit in PNC Rf also.

97. buccos since '04 says:

They need another productive everyday bat. Not Ludwick. Lee’s great but not enough

98. CDBrewer says:

I really like the idea of an Infante to play around the INF – Ronny day off, Pedro against a lefty, PRNW because he will need a rest some day.

Yeah, we could use one of those 2 hole pro’s…
    But that is the type of guy you get BEFORE the season when you think you will contend, or is the piece you go after now.

99. JMB says:

Ludwick is basically the poor man’s Upton, so if the TB GM is being a hardliner like he was over JBay in 2008 then I can see going to Ludwick.

Ludwick & Lee are the definition of doing just enough to say they tried, but it sure as heck aint ALL IN!

100. Eric Bowser says:

Do people realize Ludwick has 64 RBI?

Before today’s game, Jones 37, Diaz 16 and Pearce 10 amounted to 63 RBI with terrible defense.

Ludwick will provide more for this team than those 3 and help the bench.

101. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Ludwick is coming.

102. JMB says:

I will raise my 2011 deadline grade for NH to a B though since he tried, and you cant dance all by your lonesome.

103. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Ludwick is a good rbi man, always has been. In SD, he’s had nobody to knock in save for Chase Headley. Outside of Petco he will hit more home runs too. He provides good protection for Cutch in the order, and is a sound defensive outfielder. He will be a good improvement for the Pirates, and like any player coming to a contender, he will be re-energized.

104. Eric Bowser says:

Almost official – Pirates to acquire RF Ryan Ludwick.

105. JFO says:

any chance cuddyer or kubel come here?

106. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Now ESPN is saying the Bucs are getting Ludwick.

107. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

PTBNL to Padres for Ludwick.

108. JMB says:

hmmmm – as long as it aint Allie, I like it!

109. Keith says:

Ahhh! That’s more like it, Lyle!

110. pattonbb says:

I like it…

Ludwick plays good defense, has a strong arm, and knows how to move people around the base paths. Might help Pedro too.

111. CDBrewer says:

Bows,

GREAT point.

Pig Legs,

Great point.

And Upton seems to need a little attitude adjustment.
    Lots of people say he needs out of Tampa, but Madden and Hurdle seem more similar than not. We might not be the answer.

Wonder who we will give up. Great trade as a PTBNL, but what about when it is named.

It won’t win us a championship, but it is help for the guys and says “we’re with you”.
    Also doesn’t mortgage the future.

Nice middle…
    Let’s see about an arm…

112. JoeBucco says:

Curious who goes from the big league squad when Lee and Lud get added to the 25. Wood, maybe? And XP? Or Diaz (I hope).

113. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

I hear that Ludwick is coming for a “player to to be named”…….Guaranteed it won’t be one of our top guys…..Not Allie (probably not a top prospect)…..you guys hearing anything different???

114. pattonbb says:

Does Overbay get DFA’d tonight?

115. Curt says:

I think the FO did a great job! They brought in two established veteran hitters to our lineup without giving up any major prospects. I look forward to our revamped lineup.

116. hsages211 says:

Like the additions of Lee and Ludwick. Should be significant upgrades at 1B and RF. I think the NH did a pretty nice job at the deadline upgrading the talent on the field. It’ll be interesting to see the corresponding moves on the 25-man and 40-man roster.

117. CDBrewer says:

Curt,

Agreed. I don’t think it was earth shattering, but it shows support and interest.

Ludwick is said to be a GREAT clubhouse guy.
    I bet Hurdle had a list for the FO from which to work.

Lee and Hurdle are leaders.

118. JMB says:

I see now it is “or cash”.

I vote $$$$
    ;-)

A PTBNL, hmm, hows that work?

I think sometimes there is a list of players the Padres can choose from, gives time for development, how they finish the season. What I’m not sure about is if the quality goes up if Ludwick produces

Thats the way it happens in hockey with draft picks anyways.

Ok, Neal made two deals, I am happy with him, of course that and a donut = a donut

Now he has to sign Bell ;-)

120. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Pretty sure SD get a list of 10-15 guys, picks one of them.

121. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

NH on radio feed now.

122. LikeaBugonaRug says:

And Ludwick is definitely out of the Padres’ lineup

123. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Crotta DFA’d

124. Pig Legs Robinson says:

NH gets an ‘A’ in my book. Two right handed bona-fide RBI men, just what they needed. Also they both are good attitude guys who will fit right in with this team.

125. buccos since '04 says:

No relief help

126. Steve Smith says:

These guys need to learn how to brush players off the !$@%#^ plate. Sooo many hits on the outside part of the plate that are actually BALLS! Pitch inside to these guys. Veras also has been blowing things lately.

127. TDB1977 says:

Can we just send Veras, Diaz, and Overbay to San Diego? No, wait a second…lets wait until after next weekend’s series so neither one of those three can come back and bite us in the butt for sending them to SD.

128. JoeBucco says:

Refresh trade ticker looking to see if perhaps we added an 8th inning guy.

Seems like maybe we have a need there.

129. JohnS says:

I have seen enough of Allie to think that he would be a great trading chip. He is at a minimum 6 years from MLB.

130. Dave says:

lol veras showing the all the reasons he has been cut from other teams pitiful

131. JoeBucco says:

Veras apologist not very happy at this very moment. Dude can look wicked good one minute, and then like this the next.

132. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

What the heck can you do? Ibanez hit a HR on a pitch 5 inches off the plate.

133. CDBrewer says:

Coulda used Balfour.
    lol

134. LikeaBugonaRug says:

I think we have an 8th inning guy going forward – McCutcheon. He’s been doing really well lately. Move Veras into the long relief.

135. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Bunch – what I saw it was waist high and outer half of plate.

136. Dave says:

bunch this isnt veras’s first game he has done this

137. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Yeah, Ibanez is hot and a bad ball hitter. I wouldn’t get too mad at Veras.

138. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

The strike zone graphic showed it’s location. It was off the plate at the letters.

139. Skip says:

Maybe the PTBNL will be Lyle Overby ;-)

140. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Hurdle doesn’t need to use Veras in the 8th inning, yet he continues to do so.

141. CDBrewer says:

I don’t hate keeping Diaz.
    I know he has zero power and is pretty bad in the field, but he hits and he hustles.
    We could do a lot worse…

142. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

agree with CDBrewer

143. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Agree, now Diaz & Overbay can do what they are better suited for – pinch hitting.

144. Naje says:

At PNC Park, Ibanez may have a double out of that home run.. or an out.

145. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Watching Phillies telecast and they don’t have the ball/strike stuff.

146. Keith says:

Is there NEVER a situation dire enough to use Hanrahan?!

147. Keith says:

Twitter posts have been inactive for nearly three minutes. I guess all the baseball writers had to use the bathroom.

148. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

I’m not real thrilled with the Ludwick pickup. We need guys that can hit LH pitching. Ludwick is a right hander with a .236 career avg and .311 OBP against LH.

Steve Pearce is a much better hitter against lefties in his career. .294/.362/.510 with 5 HR, 16 doubles, and 23 RBI against LH in 153 AB’s. They should keep him and dump Overbay.

149. CDBrewer says:

Naje,

I could not agree with you more.
    The Phils are build for this little cage. We are built for a baseball park.
    Mickey Mouse “chicks dig the long ball” roids yards.

We are back to baseball now, pitching wins championships.

Well, when you catch the ball. oy

150. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Naje…absolutely right about that HR in PNC

So who got DFA’d when we picked up Lee, or did I read Doumit went to 60 day DL?

152. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Someone should’ve been talking to Pedro there. He looked for the tarp just before the catch.

153. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

On an earlier matter….Carlos Guillen was showing up the pitcher after a homer….Jerrod Weaver got thrown out for throwing at him…..I’d throw at his head, too.
    There is no room in MLB for hot dog, showboating NFL crap….The moment this league starts allowing that kind of Manny Ramirez b.s. without retaliation, is the day MLB is going down the toilet…..

154. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Communication seems to be a problem on balls in the air with the Pirates. All of the collisions and near misses should be avoided.

155. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

Doumit to 60 Biz.

156. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Of course, true fundamentals are lost on MLB players anymore. It’s epidemic.

157. Eric Bowser says:

We’re not comparing Steve Pearce to Ryan Ludwick are we, just because of some splits?

Since returning from DL, Pearce has 2 hits and 7 K’s in 20 at-bats.

158. CDBrewer says:

Biz,

You read correctly.
    And now Crotta DFA’d

25 man moves will be needed now.

159. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Clint has every right to bark at Angel Hernandez. Terrible…

160. buccos since '04 says:

Disappointed with the trades but it takes two to make one. Can’t be entirely Made at FO, did best they could do I guess.

161. Dave says:

lol steve pearce’s stats compared to Ludwick are u kidding me seriously

162. pghboyinca says:

StevePearce is the biggest waste of conversation over nothng that I have ever witnessed. Did he do soemthing with another identity that makes people think he actually had value?

163. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

I’m talking about the Pirates needs and they need guys who can hit a LH pitcher. Ludwick doesn’t do it well. Pearce does. So they should keep Pearce and dump Overbay as a backup first baseman.

Is is more clear with fewer words?

164. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

You can argue totals all you want. Ludwick doesn’t hit lefties. LOOK IT UP.

165. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Watson has been very impressive. I wonder how he would fare as a starter.

166. Keith says:

Tony Watson for MVP

167. Dave says:

Bunch ur right Pearce is a beast sorry to question one of our AAAA bench players

168. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I think they will keep Pearce. Can’t see them wanting to hang onto Overbay too much longer, but the money thing is always there. If Lyle should somehow keep hitting homers, they probably won’t be too quick to dump him. Might as well get something for all that bread they wasted.

169. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Look at the numbers Dave. Pearce hits LH pitching very well. Anyone who would deny that is choosing the keep their eyes turned away from the facts. I can repost them if you have any more problems understanding that.

170. CDBrewer says:

Um, anybody else wonder how the bullpen makes it to 8/11 before an off day?
    Not like we have CG starters.

mmm.

171. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Better yet..Let me do it right now.

Steve Pearce vs. LH pitching (career totals)
    153 AB, 24 Runs, 45 Hits, 16 doubles, 1 triple, 5 HR, 23 RBI, 17 BB, 35 K, .294 AVG, .362 OBP, .510 SLG, .872 OPS

172. CDBrewer says:

I think this is going to be like Atlanta.
    Damn.
    What a trip.
    They will be happy to be done with it.
    Hell, I’m happy they will be done with it.

173. Dave says:

150 ab’s is not a very big total to judge from bunch

174. Eric Bowser says:

WOW

Steve Pearce is hitting .263 and 6 RBI vs LHP in 38 AB this season

For once people, you can live iwth a trade, we didn’t sell off the team. My gawd, the level of negativity for these 2 deals…when everyone (nay sayers) already wrote off the team.

175. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Actually this season Ludwick’s hit .264 vs LH and .230 vs RH.
    Still he knocks in runs against LH & RH equally well by ratio. He also hits homers off either side well.
    Best thing I like about Ludwick though is he has always been a good clutch run producer.
    When he had ducks on the pond in St. Louis he came through time and time again.

His slugging is low this year but he’s had absolutely no protection behind him in the lineup in SD.

176. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates are Hurdled today… loss squarely on his shoulders.

Veras to face Ibanez in 8th
    Watson to face Ibanez in 10th
    Hanrahhan sitting in bullpen again

177. buccos since '04 says:

Day summed up: Lee thinks this game isn’t important enough to make two hour trip. Overbay says F u. We get past prime OF and fall 4 1/2 behind brewers. #pirates

178. Pghez says:

I like what Huntington did at the deadline. He got to solid major leaguers and didn’t bankrupt the minor league system. Now lets get the hell out of Philly!

179. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Jeff gives it his all, and today the bullpen blows it. But, you start with the top six in the Phils lineup and there isn’t a weak link anywhere. And when Polanco plays, that’s the top 7. Still, we performed better today than the first 2 games.

Let’s get home, welcome the new guys, and make some hay against the next 2 teams.

Kevin

180. JMB says:

Lee definitely might have helped today…, but they need to real off 7 in a row vs Cubs / Pads and this will all be forgotten.

181. CDBrewer says:

The trades weren’t late, we waited for our price.

We just aren’t suited to play top teams in their parks.
    We are right with Atlanta, but not really close to Philly. And the Giants just took 2/3 from the Phils in Philly.

This is not meant to be wet blanket, I never thought we would be NEAR 4.5 out and over .500 on August 1 – and both will be the case.

And baseball is not about one rough week – look at the Reds split personality – swept at home by the Mets (first time in Met history to get 4 there) and then sweep the Giants.

It’s all good still.

182. pghboyinca says:

Why were we pitching to Ibanez with Shcnieder and martinez (two reserves) up next? Also it wold have also have set up a double paly by walking him. Horrible weekend.

183. Keith says:

Looking toward tomorrow’s game:

McCutchen, CF
    Jones, RF
    Lee, 1B
    Walker, 2B
    Ludwick, RF
    Alvarez, 3B
    McKenry, C
    Ciriaco, SS

Look realistic? Or does Ciriaco stay at leadoff?

184. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I got no problem with losing to this team. They have the best hitting lineup and the best starting pitchers in the NL to boot. With pence in tow, they will be hard to beat period.

185. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I would have Cutch, Ludwick, and Lee 3,4,5.

186. LikeaBugonaRug says:

How is 33 past prime? Yes, he’s not a one man wrecking crew or a player to carry a club, but he will hopefully fit in this lineup. We picked up a 1st baseman and someone who should move to RF. No, it isn’t Hunter Pence and Ryan Howard. But, who was really available to trade for?

In my opinion, if they play reasonably well once they get here, Lee and Ludwick make us a better defensive team, and definitely don’t make us a worse offensive team. If nothing else because Overbay and Jones/Diaz should now go to the bench.

187. Eric Bowser says:

Pig, agreed. This team will need to make up ground with the next two series and hope the new guys create some momentum and help lengthen our lineup. Pirates need Alex Presley back as soon as possible because having him at the top of the lineup was the catalyst for the team to score runs.

188. Keith says:

Lee
    Alvarez
    McKenry
    Ciriaco/Wood
    pitcher.

190. LikeaBugonaRug says:

Or, if Cedeno is healthy (anyone heard if he’ll go on DL?), then he’s 7th and the Fort is 8th.

191. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Yes. I like how they can have Presley and Walker 1 and 2 now if they so choose. they also have a legitimate 3,4,5 with Cutch, Ludwick & Lee. Then Alvarez has some stress removed from him lower in the lineup. They could even bat Walker after Alvarez and move the shortstop down to 2nd to get him more fastballs.

192. LikeaBugonaRug says:

But how soon is Alex coming back? The sooner the better, of course, but thought he was still a ways away.

193. Eric Bowser says:

when Presley and Doumit return
    1. Presley, LF
    2. McCutchen, CF
    3. Walker, 2B
    4. Ludwick, RF
    5. Alvarez, 3B
    6. Lee, 1B
    7. Doumit, C
    8. Cedeno, SS

If Tabata returns, have to see how well Presley and Ludwick are playing and maybe rotate the three of them dependent on pitching matchups and other criteria.

194. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Actually I haven’t heard much about Presley. You’d think he wouldn’t be too far off since they probably back-dated the DL to the first game he was out.

195. buccos since '04 says:

Only thing goin for Ludwick is that hes been hitting at petco park and he’s coming to a friendlier ball park. Otherwise send Jones out there everyday and he might have better numbers than him now.

196. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I could see putting Alvarez clean-up if he is hitting well and protecting him with Ludwick & Lee. It’s going to help Alvarez the most, having these two new pieces.
    This will definitely give Hurdle a lot more options for making out a lineup card.

197. LikeaBugonaRug says:

First day Alex would be available is the 8th (back-dated to July 23rd). But, after re-reading the announcement, I remember him saying he wasn’t sure what was wrong, even though the club was saying a hand contusion. And I haven’t seen anything anywhere about him since.

I’d rather see McKenry than Doumit, unless Ryan is guaranteed to rake once he returns. I think the benefit of McKenry and keeping the pitching going (and stopping wild pitches) outweighs Ryan’s liabilities any maybe hitting.

Kevin

198. Keith says:

We seem to have a ML depth chart that looks like this (not accounting injuries):

C: McKenry, Doumit, Jaramillo, Fryer
    1B: Lee, Jones, Pearce, Wood
    2B: Walker, Wood, d’Arnaud, Ciriaco
    SS: Cedeno, d’Arnaud, Ciriaco, Wood
    3B: Alvarez, Wood, Pearce, d’Arnaud
    LF: Tabata, Presley, Paul, Ludwick
    CF: Cutch, Tabata, Presley, Paul
    RF: Ludwick, Jones, Pearce, Presley

Stephen Colbert is starting a new social media venue which limits messages to 70 characters. He’s calling it Twit. :-)

200. hsages211 says:

Tomorrow’s lineup – I’m going with…
    Gives some protection to Alvarez with Lee behind him and the top 6 go L-R-S-R-L-R

LF Paul
    RF Ludwick
    2B Walker
    CF McCutchen
    3B Alvarez
    1B Lee
    C McKenry
    SS Cedeno
    P

201. Joseph in Huntington Beach CA says:

@hsages211 ~ good effort, but with Alvarez striking out so often wouldn’t it be better to flip him and Lee?

202. MGR says:

I was at the game today and in the bottom of the 8th right around 4:00, Daniel McCutchen started hugging everyone in the bullpen one by one. I thought I’d get home and see he was traded but apparently not. Did they show it on tv? Maybe they were playing a prank?

203. Eric Bowser says:

Does Pittsburgh know what they want?

When I ask the question, I’m not speaking about the front office or ownership of the Pittsburgh Pirates, rather the fans of the Pirates. Many fans, more than you or I could count on our toes and fingers combined, have stated their desire for the team to build a farm system and find capable veteran major league players to support the young core while trying to first break the .500 curse and then over a few years, compete for a division title.

After the July 31st deadline, you would think the Pirates just spit on your mother’s face by the comments criticizing the team for their decision to acquire first baseman Derrek Lee and outfielder Ryan Ludwick. They gave up nothing and if the team fails to win the National League Central division title, then maybe Ludwick does enough to warrant a Type B free agent ranking so the team can reap a supplemental draft pick in the first round.

The most important thing today was the organization telling everyone, they want to win and though they didn’t mortgage their future (Taillon, Heredia, Allie, Marte, Grossman, Rojas), they went out and got the young players some help to finish over .500 and attempt to surprise St. Louis, Milaukee, and Cincinnati for the division title.

Who knows what happens between now and the end of the regular season, maybe Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder suffer season-ending injuries and Pirates get rejuvenated with the acquisitions of Lee and Ludwick and healthy returns of Ryan Doumit, Alex Presley, and Jose Tabata. For once, maybe the Pirates won’t wilt under the summer sun and rather, do what we wanted this season and that is finish over .500 and take a stand against losing.

204. Justin says:

the buccos did exactly what they said they would do. take one some veterans’ salaries and give up little prospects. for that reason i’m satisfied with the deadline.

i’d be very interested to hear if NH shopped Hanrahan at all, especially after seeing what Mike Adams fetched. same with Maholm. i feel as though resop/veras and owens/lincoln/wilson/ohlendorf could have filled in nicely while selling Maholm and Hanrahan what could well be their highest value.

another thought. many called for the trade of marte + the other top guys. I have a feeling that those are the same people that complained about the lack of hitters in the top 10 prospects of the system. perhaps Grossman, Dickerson, and (maybe) Bell work their way there too. but as of right now, that would make the system barren of elite hitting talent.

trading marte when the buccos have a firm hold on 1st place and legit contenders… yes make the deal. but this year it would have made missed playoffs a tougher pill to swallow

205. LikeaBugonaRug says:

@Eric – Like.

Kevin

206. LikeaBugonaRug says:

@Justin – I would hope they wouldn’t have shopped Joel. Listened to any “WOW” offers, yes, but not shopped. The current team wanted something positive to help them this season. And trading their closer, unless they got a legit one in return, would not have been a positive.

207. LikeaBugonaRug says:

@MGR – being in Philly, they didn’t show anything on their broadcast. But I did see a rumor on ESPN around that time that we’d acquired Austin Kearns from Cleveland, so I wonder if that’s related. And after seeing Kearns’ numbers, I would hope that was just a cruel joke.

208. Justin says:

@BugOnRug

yeah you’re probably right. i’m just extremely curious as to what he could have fetched.

anyone think that picking up the 13 mil/year on Wandy in an august deal would be a good idea? assume for arguement’s sake that he could be had for a very low level prospect if the buccos take on that salary. i say yes, but it’s easy when it’s not my money.

209. pghboyinca says:

I like what we did, bring in some additional hitting without sacrificing anything long term. Here is my ideal lineup withi a week if everyone is healthy.

Pressly
    Walker
    Cutch
    Lee
    Pedro
    Ludwick
    McKenry
    Cedeno
    Karstens

Until then sub Paul for Pessly and Chiraco for Cedeno. I am a little occerned that Charlie has regressed and is fragile confidence wise. I thnk Correia has come to earth as well. The other 3 are solid. I’d setle for 86 wins and be very hqappy.

210. Keith says:

Upon further reflection, I think the lineup will be as follows for Monday:

Paul, LF
    Ciriaco, SS
    Walker, 2B
    Cutch, CF
    Lee, 1B
    Alvarez, 3B
    Ludwick, RF
    McKenry, C

There’s a possibility Jones could play, in which case Ciriaco leads off followed by Jones.

211. pattonbb says:

I’m sure there’s no chance for this, but here’s my suggestion…

Ciriaco SS
    Walker 2B
    Cutch CF
    Ludwick RF
    Lee 1B
    Alvarez 3B
    Paul LF
    Fort C

212. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I sure hope they didn’t trade Daniel McCutchen for Austin Kearns. Daniel has been an excellent help to the pitching all year. I can’t see parting with him for such a worn out player unless there were a very good prospect or two coming back.
    Sounds more like a prank, and a pretty funny one too.

213. CDBrewer says:

I agree completely with Bowser and Pbhboy…

Good day for today and the future.
    And man, I won’t miss playing the Phillies.