Final: Pirates 9, Giants 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (55-60) vs. San Francisco Giants (64-53)

Time: 3:45 p.m.

Site: AT&T Park, San Francisco

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 65 degrees, partly cloudy

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Aubrey Huff, 1B
  5. Cody Ross, RF
  6. Orlando Cabrera, SS
  7. Aaron Rowand, LF
  8. Eli Whiteside, C
  9. Jonathan Sanchez, LHP

News updates are on our Pirates page.

Comments

1. Keith says:

This is a truly weird lineup. We’ve gone from 1-2-3 in the order having make-a-difference speed to Steve Pearce being the second-fastest guy? And at third? Wow.

Pearce can and has played 3B. I’m not concerned with where he plays, or even the inappropriately high position in the batting order. I’m more concerned THAT he plays. And hot Walker out.

I get get-away day lineups. But they have an early game today, an off day tomorrow, no game for a little over two days. Play to WIN.

3. DMac says:

Pearce fields okay, most of the time. I’d feel better with him at 1st over Jones, but better that than Jones at 3rd and then there’s the whole “Hot Bat” thing.

4. bdubb says:

So Crotta was released? From opening day roster to cut? Is this a case of having 40 good players on the roster? is there someone else who might have a better chance of clearing waivers? Interesting.

5. bdubb says:

Oh yeah, unless Sanchez walks 10 guys or we hit an unusual homerun does anyone else see us scoring? If this is the lineup I am trotting out I would not hit Jones 3rd vs a lefty. And Wood would not be behind Diaz although I can see the thinking of Diaz singling to right and Wood connecting for a long one. Otherwise I am flumuxed with this lineup. Man, when does Tabata, Pressley and d’Arnoud come back?

6. Reading says:

It must be April Fool’s Day somewhere! This is the best we can muster for today?

7. JMB says:

Karstens 1-5 in day games, so they better give him some run support today!

8. JMB says:

today’s game is the MLB At Bat free game of the day on iphone for those interested.

9. JMB says:

Cutch stole a base?!

I cant believe it!!!

10. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: Anyone who’s into baseball and doesn’t have the At-Bat app is nuts. It’s tremendous.

11. JMB says:

@DK

Any substantiation that the team offered Bell $4.5m to sign?

If he doesnt take it, that is on him and the FO gets a free pass.

12. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: What are you talking about?

13. JMB says:

I know RBI is frowned upon by modern statheads, but Ludwick is an RBI machine!

14. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: Really?

15. Reading says:

Agree about At Bat app. Used it in my car last week to listen to Pirates-Cubs home run game while traveling in Virginia and then was able to watch the game upon arriving at the hotel.

16. JMB says:

That number sounds about what it would take, and if Cole is asking for Strasburg money, I can see the FO trying to sign one and then use the other protected pick again next year.

It’s gonna be a long few days of rumor & innuendo, and I cant help but eat it up!

17. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: Please vindicate my belief that you’re a whole lot smarter than this.

18. JMB says:

I’m extra-gullible during signing season.

19. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@JMB: You’d have to be that, to be linking to something like that.

Scott Boras told me face to face that no word was going to get out about Bell. The Pirates have told me likewise. If you need fiction to bide the time between now and the deadline, go nuts.

20. pattonbb says:

Wow….That was a shot by Cutch. Me likey….me likey!!

21. JMB says:

That got the OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh from Cutch!

22. JMB says:

bad news bears!

Ill take it!

23. Naterosboro says:

Why are we not testing andres torres’s throw in the 3rd inning up 2 runs? Nick Leyva needs to be removed as 3rd base coach. I’ve not liked his decisions over there this season…..

Leyva, saved by Matt Diaz….

24. pattonbb says:

Wow, I was just about to question why Leyva didn’t send Pearce, then Diaz comes through with a hit. Guess those coaches really are smarter than me.

25. JMB says:

@CDB called it.

Sanchez is doing his wild thing impression today.

26. bdubb says:

Glad I could jinx the offense…sorry Wood for jinxing you though

27. pghboyinca says:

The numbers for Bell are ludicrous. If theyu offered that heshould be on his way to joining the Bradenton group as we are posting. The only sure thing during the time between the draft and the August 15th signing deadline is repeated nonsene posted daily.

Cole is not anything approaching Strausberg and I would applaud he Pirates fornt office for walking way from anything close to that. With Bell however I think they painted thmselves into a corner. You take a guy with the first pick of the second round who is a potential impact bat on a team desperate for impact bats after he has written a letter to all teams saying don’t draft me? Your scouts better have some G2 with the clear implication that he is posturing and can be signed todeal you find acceptble. All theswe supposed arms we are draftng need soem hitting in their relative age appropriate levels or we might see what we are seeing now. Great pitching with no offense.

28. CDBrewer says:

Sorry, just got in – had to go help paint my wife’s school and move furniture…

If somebody would give me best high light and worst moment, it would be most appreciated…(I did hear that Sandoval hit a dinger and I read Sanchez was wild…)
    Thanks

29. CDBrewer says:

Wait a minute – I just saw Karstens has 9 K’s…
    Wow, did the teams switch uni’s? He isn’t a K guy.

Karstens a strikeout machine today

31. CDBrewer says:

JAL,

Is it Karstens or is it the Giants?
    They can look pretty bad at the plate approach wise.

32. JMB says:

Cutch hit a titantic bomb and has a couple of SB’s.

33. JMB says:

at least Daryle / Joe Bucco have been seeing a nice game today.

34. CDBrewer says:

Thanks JAL and JMB

Looks like great weather and a decent performance.

This is a big spot for Diaz…can put it away pretty much.

35. JMB says:

Die=AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

36. JMB says:

I know a lot can change in 6 weeks, but this Gigante’s team aint repeating!

CD

Probably a bit of both, Karstens curve is getting most of the strikeouts

38. Happy G says:

Ok, is it too soon to look ahead to the Brewers Friday? Does anyone know where Randall Simon is these days? Maybe if we sign him for the weekend…hmm.

39. JMB says:

Time to plunk someone on the butt?

I feel like Cutch is being targeted a lot lately, but the one in this game wasnt as egregious as others.

Well, we need a DP now so no plunk’n.

40. CDBrewer says:

Well, that’s how you would start to blow a 6 run lead.
    Let’s stop this right here.

41. Happy G says:

8th inning guys, we blow leads in the 8th inning.

42. CDBrewer says:

Well, that is that…

JMB,
    Hit Cutch with a breaking ball, I can live with that.

As for the Giants repeating, my thought is this…they will win that division (because the DBacks aren’t there yet with pitching), but they aren’t beating Milwaukee or Philly UNLESS Lincecum and Cain pull a Shilling and Big Unit. I don’t think that is likely, but it is entirely possible.
    It is also possible the Cards beat out the Brewers and they only need to get lucky one series.

That said, I agree, not repeating.

Thanks, JAL.

43. Happy G says:

Please, please, please, please, please let us get past the 8th inning with the lead.

CD

You are welcome

45. pattonbb says:

Did Hurdle let McCutchen bat in the 8th, then put Lincoln in anyway? I’m a little confused. Did I miss something?

46. CDBrewer says:

patton,

Cutch needed the AB, just in case we play another 20 inning game, or he gets moved into the rotation some day.

You aren’t the only one a little confused. I think a couple people in the dugout might be too.

47. Happy G says:

Pattonbb: maybe he doesn’t have any position players left? The ones he has he wants to get 2 days off? I’m guessing.

48. CDBrewer says:

Gonna repeat myself:

I like Paul on this team. Maybe is only a 4th OF, but I like Paul as a PR, defensive replacement, and a spot starter.

49. Happy G says:

CDBrewer: I just said the same thing to my dad.

50. CDBrewer says:

3-7 homestand for the champs, who are going to win their division. Anybody can have 2 bad weeks.
    We aren’t winning the division, but 80 is still achievable, and would be amazing.

51. Reading says:

I love when I post something negative and then I get massively faced! Need to do that more often if 9 runs will score.

52. CDBrewer says:

Hey, turned on the Braves…
    This is not a defense of the FO, it is a plea for a little patience for Pedro (and I am worried too)…
    Jason Heyward is a mess this year, and he made a bigger splash last year and has more protection in the lineup than Pedro.

I would NOT give up on Heyward either.
    It isn’t just about age, it is about rookie class for me too.

I just don’t see any way around giving him 500 AB’s and sinking or swimming with him next year.

53. Smitty 50 says:

I’m new to posting, but have read forever, and this is the most civil posting I have ever seen. lol I just watched the Bucs toast the Giants. Now we need to pull out our voodoo dolls, green wienees, or whatever it takes to break the curse at Milaukee. Woohoo, go Bucs.

54. JRay3 says:

Wow what a big series to get things back in the right direction, great ballpark and great weather out here, and taking 2 out of 3 made this trip quite enjoyable.

Like Diaz said after the game the losing streak is way behind us and it is a good feeling as we head to Milwaukee next.

Also great to see Karstens get back on track and Morton pitching strong after little hiccup!

Let go Bucs, time to take down the Brew Crew!

On a side note have to say got a chance to speak to both Veras and Hanrahan, they both signed balls I got while watching bp (one tossed to me my Brandon Wood), and those two could not have been any nicer with the fans! Took some pictures and were willing to talk it up a bit.

From Bucs Dugout

Rudy Owens’ season just got worse. The broadcasters at the game just announced that Owens is on the minor-league DL with “shoulder soreness and fatigue.” I’m guessing his season is over; hopefully it’s nothing more serious than that.

56. CDBrewer says:

Glad you had a good time JRay.
    I miss SF and AT&T already, and I have been gone less than two months.

It is a spectacular city.
    Good series too and glad to hear the boys were amicable.

57. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

So much for that bold prediction at #3. “Oh yeah, unless Sanchez walks 10 guys or we hit an unusual homerun does anyone else see us scoring? ”

I want to mention that the offense has scored 5 runs or more 5 times in the last 9 games. 3 of those games came against the #2 and #3 teams in team ERA in the N.L (#1 and #5 in BAA). It’s starting to show an uptick in production.