Final: Pirates 2, Brewers 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (60-68) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (78-53)

Time: 12:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 72 degrees, mostly cloudy

Here is the official live box score, and here are the lineups …

Pirates:

4. Prince Fielder, 1B
  5. Casey McGehee, 3B
  6. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS
  7. Jonathan Lucroy, C
  8. Josh Wilson, 2B
  9. Shaun Marcum, RHP

News updates are on our Pirates page.

Comments

1. CDBrewer says:

So how did we acquire this guy? When I heard Aaron Thompson, I just assumed it was the guy who used to be with the Rockies – especially given, I had heard of him and Hurdle seems to bring us guys he had there.

Lefty who doesn’t hold baserunners…mmmm.

Picked up on waivers from Nats over the winter, originally 1st round drfaat choice by Marlins.

Ryan Ludwick to DL so Ciraco stayed for today’s game

I don’t like bunts, just giving away outs even when they work.

This club can’t afford to do that.

Ludwick to the DL? What for?

Ok, bunt worked, but philosophically, I still don’t like giving away outs

Muscle spasms in his back

7. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

It’s a good thing another guy is hurt. I haven’t seen enough of our minor league system this year.

8. CDBrewer says:

Hey JAL,
    I don’t say it enough…
    Thanks for all the updates and the quick replies…you are on top of it and it is appreciated.

Wonder how many pitchers get a WALK in their first MLB plate appearance. Can’t be many.

9. Hal Smith says:

Ditto@JAL

10. Hal Smith says:

why would anyone steal with Prince batting?

11. JAL,
    When I grow up, I want to be like you!

Your reads today were so good, it took me too long to get here finally.

12. CDBrewer says:

Bunch,

That is fantastic…lol…also, wouldn’t have wanted to actually add players at the deadline who would, you know, PLAY at any point.

2 runs on 2 hits–not bad–rather have 5 runs on 5 hits but can’t have everything.

14. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

CDBrewer

Well, a sane person cant fault mgt for DLee getting hit with a pitch or Ludwick’s back spasms. Sometimes, the things you can’t control just don’t go your way.

it is unfortunate that they picked up players and both now on DL, something that could not be foreseen.

Thanks CD, Biz, Groat, and Hal. Not here all the time but try to help when I can.

Morning links usually have some interesting pieces.

17. Pattonbb says:

Braun is such a punk. Insanely talented, but a punk all the same.

Swings at a high fastball and glares at the pitcher-bush league

Love those high fastball–locate it right and it looks so hittable but can’t be hit.

20. CDBrewer says:

Hate to say it, but rather large piece of me is glad Beltran is also on DL, and I even like the Giants and all the Giant fans I met while living there. Really, they have a neat fanbase..

No, this is not faulting mgmt, this is more the idea that we don’t need any more luck because in the last month, the only luck we’ve had has not been the type you want…

Every once in a while I wince thinking that mgmt might be hesitant to add at the deadline in the future because of this year though…paranoid, I hope.
    I am not in the “The FO is cheap” camp – I wouldn’t have gotten a decent FA last offseason to supplement that group either. FO has done fine by me.

21. Pattonbb says:

exactly JAL, like Grilli offended him by not throwing that pitch where Cryin’ Ryan wanted it.

I’m not a proponent for bean balls, but I won’t argue if Braun gets his tower buzzed next AB.

22. This whole game’s boundaries were set when Harrison bunted Tabata over in the first inning, allowing McCutch to both drive Jose in and reestablish his credentials as a (an?) RBI/clutch batter after failing twice early in yesterday’s game.

It’s so much easier to play the game with a lead, especially with a rookie pitcher on the mound.

Hail, hail to the sacrifice bunt!!!!

23. Eric Bowser says:

Let’s see, I go to North Carolina (business trip) for a few days and all that happens is an earthquake, 4 players on the DL for the Pirates, stock market still stinks, Qaddafi’s reign of terror appears to be over in Libya, a hurricane is nearing the US and DK wrote a column questioning Crosby for his silence.

Now today, Pirates are winning 2-0 through top of 7th inning after 4 1/3 by Aaron Thompson and 2 2/3 by Jason Grilli.

Eric

It is a weird world :)

25. Eric Bowser says:

@JAL
    Yes it is. I hate to fly and had to “survive” flying in a small US Air Express jet… felt like I was going to twirl in the air at any moment.

Heading to 8th inning with 2-0 lead.

26. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Grilli has been a nice addition, so far. 11k/9 IP; 12 of 15 scoreless outings including 7 appearances of more than one inning.

27. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

He should go on the DL in a week.

I still don’t like giving up outs, Groat, especially today where we had no idea how Thompson would react to his first start.

I never would have guessed that small ball would be keeping us in todays game.

It is a weird world as JAL said.

Lets hold em

29. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

@Bizrow

The speed game (small ball) gave the Pirates their most productive lineup this season when Presley, Harrison, and d’Arnaud were in the lineup consistently. Run production went up by nearly a full run over the season average.

30. tmp444 says:

1-2-3 in the 8th …. bring on heart attack hanny

31. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

Hanrahan is over throwing. The last couple losses are getting to him. Need a little luck here.

32. Eric Bowser says:

Mental

33. Pattonbb says:

I’m ok with walking Fielder. Gotta get McGehee here.

Hanny looks pretty upset.

34. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

WOW…that first pitch to McGehee was painted. Terrible

35. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

He’s P-O’ed. Let’s see if it helps

36. tmp444 says:

Raise it!!!

I only had the benefit of MLB Gameday, but it said pitch #6 was a 100 mph fastball, followed by a slider for called strike 3. Kneebuckler??????

@Bunch

Yup, those two guys added a ton of speed and were exciting, I just don’t like bunting in the first inning especially with the way our pitching staff has been performing.

Too much bunting and getting caught stealing this season, too many outs given away. This time it worked, that has not been the norm.

@tmp, it did look like a couple of impressive pitches to nail things down.

38. Bunch of fair weather fans... says:

5-5 in the last 10 against pretty stiff competition

Playing the Cards this weekend (Bucs have taken 2 of 3 series this year).

Playing the Astros (2), Dodgers, Cubs, Marlins in the two weeks following.

There’s a couple of better bats coming off the DL.

Could see the Bucs make a move toward ending the streak.

I’m sure a couple of the cynics will disagree but it doesn’t matter. Later all…

39. Pattonbb says:

Fear the Bones…

40. Playoffs by 2012 says:

How did Diaz do today?

41. JRay3 says:

Hats off to a great series split. Looking forward to Presley and d’Arnaud rejoining the team tomorrow in St. Louis. An OF combo of Cutch, Tabata and Presley certainly looks nice!