Final: Pirates 6, Dodgers 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (67-82) vs. Los Angeles Dodgers (73-75)

Time: 10:10 p.m.

Site: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 65 degrees, partly cloudy

Here is the official live box score, and here are lineups …

Pirates:

4. Juan Rivera, RF
  5. James Loney, 1B
  6. Jerry Sands, LF
  7. Russ Mitchell, 3B
  8. Tim Federowicz, C
  9. Dana Eveland, LHP

News updates are on our Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is waiting patiently for the eternal elevators at Chavez Ravine.

Comments

Beat em Bucs

Slick Frank is getting more press time, anyone else feels like they need to take a shower after listening to a snippet of the fellow speaking?

Occams razor, and three thousand flies can’t be wrong

The head of the fish stinks

I’m just sayin

@Bizrow

A Wal-Mart greeter in an Armani suit.

3. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates could reap big time financial gains in 2012 if they fail to sign any quality free agents this winter. Trust me, I don’t expect Prince Fielder and Jose Reyes but the Pirates only have $7.65 million tied up in commitments (if my numbers are right).
    Maholm – $750,000 buyout
    Snyder – $750,000 buyout
    Correia – $3,000,000
    Alvarez – $700,000 + $1,500,000 (signing bonus – final year)
    Cedeno – $200,000 buyout
    Tabata – $750,000

This would leave $40-45 million to form a real 25-man roster.

I’ll leave it open here and I’ll post in a few, what would you do with $40 million to sign 22 players to help Correia, Alvarez, and Tabata?

Use it wisely.

Anyone that thinks they’re spending $40-$45 million this winter is delusional.

5. Link Mendoza says:

JAL or anyone else who is good with baseball stats:

I need a small favor of the statistical variety. I just need a second set of eyes to take a quick look at an analysis I put together (2 minute job, tops). Any takers?

Link

Where is the analysis

7. Eric Bowser says:

Milo – that $40-45 million is needed to resign Jones, Walker, Presley, McCutchen, McKenry, Morton, McDonald, Karstens, Hanrahan, and Meek… then a few million to go after a few people (no one big time) to fill out spots.

8. Link Mendoza says:

I can email it to you. What’s your email?

@Eric

I understand. Their opening day payroll will struggle to get to $40 million.

@Eric

I think you hit the nail on the head with the 1st sentence of your original post.

“Pirates could reap big time financial gains in 2012 if they fail to sign any quality free agents this winter.”

If that doesn’t sum up this organization in a nutshell, I don’t know what does.

Problem is finding a quality FA–Once you get past Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, and Rollins not much quality out there

12. Link Mendoza says:

JAL

I sent it. Thanks

13. JMB says:

Exactly @JAL.

The quality just isn’t there. Even the guys you listed have issues of age & injury history or body composition.

I have no idea what to expect out of the Pirates in 2012. I certainly was not thinking of KC, Diaz, or Overbay last year, and I was completely disillusioned by those signings.

This team needs a 1B, a SS, a 3B, and a C at minimum. We can dream Pedro, Chase, Lee, and Doumit are those guys to take us to the next level in 2012, but I’m not holding my breath.

Used to love the West Coast games. Now, like my father who I used to lovingly mock years ago for his inability to stay awake, I will be long asleep by the fourth inning! Here’s to waking to a Pirate victory in the morning.

15. Eric Bowser says:

Purely guessing here, I figure Pirates will decide between offering Garrett Jones arbitration that is a cheap salary versus spending big money. Now realize, big money for the Pirates is probably signing Derrek Lee for $7 million on a 1-year deal.

$30 million

23. Chris Leroux – $425,000
    24. Daniel McCutchen – $450,000
    25. Jeff Karstens – $2,000,000

65 wins

16. twentytwo22 says:

@ Dejan

The Pirates are to hitters what the Penguins are to wingers. You can’t have what you don’t develop and you can’t develop talent you can’t identify. Neal Huntington loves pitchers. Ray Shero loves defensemen. The Pirate’s two best players are former first round high school position players. I want to say they were the only two high school position players drafted in this century. J.J. Davis last? like 1999. The only winger drafted in the first round since 2001 (Colby Armstrong) was Beau Bennett, an overage winger from CALIFORNIA who played in a lower echelon league BCHL. The Penguins situation is more maddening because they already have two great players in place.

I should also point out that Huntington said Walker would be a corner platoon player and Alex Presley hit .340 over the last two years in AA and AAA and was ignored until midseason. I’m not Charlie Manuel but Presley has one of the best swings on the team.

Until Huntington/Shero’s philosophy improves or changes or someone is brought on board management who specializes in Huntington/Shero’s weaknesses the Pirates will not have hitters and the Penguins will not have wingers

17. Officer Mancuso says:

Eric, I’d use the 45 mil to sign Greinke and Marcum and Lee. But I live in an imaginary world designed by the Tooth Fairy and implemented by Google.

18. Eric Bowser says:

If my math and guessing game is right, Pirates have about $15-20 million to spend in free agency for one impact player. The only two hitters I could see in that salary range would be Jimmy Rollins and Jose Reyes since Pujols and Fielder will be in the $20-$30 million range.

There’s no way Rollins will leave Philadelphia and I’ve got to think Reyes gets paid and goes to a winning franchises.

I have no doubt, Pirates are going to make $20 million in 2012.

19. Officer Mancuso says:

I think that whoever buys Jose Reyes is buying an expensive, fragile product. The capability is awesome, the odds that he may Bedard-like haunt your payroll while nusing an injury, good. I pass.

20. radio wave says:

Still can’t Eveland got a call up, and how well he has done so far.

21. radio wave says:

Let me try that again:
    I meant to say I can’t believe Eveland got a call up, and how well he is doing.

DK–Not sure if you’re around, but I was curious about one of your answers in the chat today. You said Derrek Lee chose Baltimore over Pittsburgh because of the ball parks. I had heard/read he didn’t think PNC was good for his game, but were the Pirates ever really seriously in the running? I seem to remember you either posting or talking on TV or radio last year using him as an example that the Pirates did not focus on a guy and come up with the dough to sign him. Am I (a) delusional, (b) misinformed, (c) you learned something more since, (d) none of the above or (e) all of the above?

Eric—if the Pirates are going to make $20 million next year, the 3 year extension now makes sense.

24. radio wave says:

Great quote by Vin Scully on the air just now
    “The seats aren’t even warm and the Pirates are already in trouble.”

25. Eric Bowser says:

We’re watching the end of Ohlendorf’s career in Pittsburgh.

@Eric

Promise ?

27. Playoffs by 2012 says:

There is something truly amazing about watching a homerun by Ross Ohlendorf announced by Vin Scully.

28. Eric Bowser says:

I can’t believe, what I just saw.

29. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Can Ohlendorf play third??

Now that’s the Dana Eveland “interesting 4 pitch mix” I remember. Single, double, single, homerun.

31. Eric Bowser says:

Andrew McCutchen is hitting .262, that’s not a superstar average… still room to grow before he’s crowned

32. absolute59 says:

Eric Bowser: Good list although Cutch made 452,00 so he will make more than 450,000 next year. I think the minimum is a 10% raise. So he will make a minimum of about 490,000 or so next year. Also according to Baseball Reference Pedro is making $700,000 in salary next year not the 2M+ you have listed. That frees up a bit more money.

I think I’m more impressed with Ohlendorf plunking Federowicz than I am with the homer. OK, not really.

34. Eric Bowser says:

Absolute: Thanks for info on Cutch…. Pedro is making $700,000 in salary plus owed the final payment of his 4-year $6 million signing bonus, which means .7 + 1.5 = $2.2 million

35. absolute59 says:

Bowser: Cutch is going to end up with 25HR 95 RBI, 95 Runs, 20 SB. He is currently a 5.4 WAR which is 19th in ML and 7th in NL. His WAR is better than players like Puljos, Fielder, Holliday, Longoria, and Reyes, to name a few.

He is a very good player and NH should be finding a way to lock him up long term.

WAR. What is it good for ? Absolutely nothing. Say it again.

37. Officer Mancuso says:

I’d be curious to flunk the math class which proves that Cutch wins more games than Pujols.

38. absolute59 says:

EB: Of course Pedro’s final payment on the bonus should be included in their self proclaimed “highest spending” on the draft in 2008. Therefore that money is already accounted for in the PBC spending. To include it in 2012 salary would be double counting that money.

I don’t think to count the final payment on signing bonus in the ML payroll is appropriate. If that is regularly done then I am wrong, but I thought the two things were considered separate.

39. Eric Bowser says:

A player of McCutchen’s pedigree, I expect and hope for more. If Cutch and Pirates are happy with a .262 batting average, then shame on them. He’s a good player and if fixes a few things like improving his batting average, increase stolen bases, and throw the ball from CF, then yeah, he’s a superstar.

I think Cutch has more than enough skills to hit .300 (20 more hits), get 100-105 RBI, 100 R, 30-35 SBS, and improve throwing the ball.

40. absolute59 says:

OM: Which position is more important 1b or CF? Offensively Albert has not had the year he usually has. It is understandable for this year that Cutch has (in this metric) put up better numbers than Albert.

Look I am just pointing out the Cutch has put up very solid numbers despite his oft cited .263 BA.

41. Eric Bowser says:

Absolute: I’m just going on pure money in, money out to show the Pirates will pay out x dollars in major league salary and expenses (bonus money) in 2012. Once you factor in the 40-man roster expenses for salaries, bonus money, benefits, and other expenses…. if this team doesn’t make $20 million in 2012, I’ll be quite shocked.

42. absolute59 says:

EB: He is 24 years old in with 2.5 seasons in ML. I also would expect that he could have a 5-10% increase in RBI and Runs as more into the historically most productive years of 27-32.

I don’t think as his power develops that he will steal more bases and if he does develop into a 30HR/100RBI/100run guy in the 3 hole I don’t know that we will care about his stealing bases.

43. absolute59 says:

EB: On payroll if your point is that they will have a low payroll in 2012 I don’t disagree, I just think you are over stating the payroll for 2012 if you include 2.5M for Pedro when his salary is $700,000 for next year as you are double counting the signing bonus.

44. absolute59 says:

Milo: LIke the play on words….

@absolute

Thanks. It’s a double meaning. I think the stat is useless too.

46. Eric Bowser says:

Absolute: You are right, batting average isn’t the only indicator but I am not a subscriber of ignoring this stat. It isn’t like I hate the guy, I just think he’s got more bat in him than what he shown this year from a batting average perspective. If you add 20 hits, those are some potential clutch performances for this team, especially the post All-Star numbers. Consistency could be better.

.291 pre-All Star break
    .219 post-All Star break

The pre-All Star numbers were outstanding
    .291 avg, .391 obp, .505 slg, .894 ops

The post-All Star numbers not so much
    .219/322/405/727

47. Eric Bowser says:

guys, don’t look at it from a pure “payroll” number… look at it from an expense… Pirates will be wiring funds from their account to Pedro for 2.2 million in 2012, that’s all I need to know about accounting for their 2012 expenses and revenues.

48. Eric Bowser says:

Look at that horrible jump by Cutch, that’s his problem. He needs to go to Ricky Henderson Art of Stealing school.

49. Eric Bowser says:

Heading to bed… long day of work ahead as I get to input budget numbers into a database all day… oh lucky me.

Good chatting folks.

50. Playoffs by 2012 says:

This one win for Ohlendorf is worth 3 million or 4 million this year in arbitration??

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back