Final home game: Reds 5, Pirates 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (71-87) vs. Cincinnati Reds (76-82)

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, News Talk 104.7 FM

Weather: 73 degrees, mostly sunny

Here is the official live box score, and here are lineups …

Pirates:

4. Jay Bruce, RF
  5. Chris Heisey, CF
  6. Juan Francisco, 3B
  7. Devin Mesoraco, C
  8. Paul Janish, SS
  9. Dontrelle Willis, LHP

News updates are on our Pirates page.

Comments

1. Eric Bowser says:

Last home game of the season, would have liked to be there today but I can’t handle two kids by myself in that environment, lol.

So, here’s my season ending awards for the Pirates

Best Player – Andrew McCutchen
    Best Pitcher – Jeff Karstens
    Worst Player – Pedro Alvarez
    Worst Pitcher – Joe Beimel
    Most Surprising Performance – Jeff Karstens
    Most Disappointing Performance – Pedro Alvarez
    Best Rookie – Alex Presley
    Worst Rookie – Mike Crotta
    Best Moment – 1st Place on July 16th
    Worst Moment – Losing 19 inning game to Braves
    Best Free Agent – Jose Veras
    Worst Free Agent – Lyle Overbay

2. matmoksik says:

I think I would put Ohlendorf for worst pitcher, and Correia for best free agent. Everything else looks good though.

3. JMB says:

Nice list @EB.

My worst moment would be the 3yr ext. of NH, but I like the list otherwise.

I looked at Buster O’s FA list today. I wonder what kind of deal J. Lopez will get. It’s too bad Mr. 3yrExt gave him away for Nutting.

4. Eric Bowser says:

@matmoksik – I was going to put in Ohlendorf, he just didn’t get enough innings for me but if he had say another 5 starts, it would be a slam dunk. Correia was horrible in 2nd half of the year, so that’s why I picked Veras as he came out of nowhere for team to put in 70 games.

@JMB – Yeah, I feel your pain on Mr. 3-year Extension

5. Eric Bowser says:

How many of the starting 8 will be in the home opener’s starting lineup next season?

Alex Presley, LF = Yes
    Josh Harrison, 3B = No
    Andrew McCutchen, CF = Yes
    Derrek Lee, 1B = No
    Neil Walker, 2B = Yes
    Ryan Ludwick, RF = No
    Chase d’Arnaud, SS = Yes
    Mike McKenry, C = No

6. Eric Bowser says:

James McDonald struggling today against the Reds as he’s probably pitching on fumes.

7. matmoksik says:

You don’t think they’ll be able to resign Lee? Or you don’t want them to?

8. Eric Bowser says:

@matmoksik – If the Pirates can’t get a quality third baseman or first baseman, then I would go after Derrek Lee for 1-year $7 million deal but I just don’t think the Pirates will offer that kind of money to force Lee’s decision on returning to Pittsburgh. Once free agency begins, some team will be looking for a first baseman.

If the Cubs miss out on Fielder and Pujols, plus don’t pay enough attention Carlos Pena, they’ll be one team I could see being forced to pay the freight for Lee.

9. matmoksik says:

I’m in favor of bringing back Lee, and I think they would pay 7 mill. They saw this year what 5 mil brings you. I’m not in love with Lee or anything, but obviously Pujols and Fielder aren’t an option, and it seems like the Cubs are interested in bringing Pena back. I’m not aware of better options. LaRoche? I don’t think so. And if Lee is back, rest him once or twice a week so he stays fresh, since he’s getting old.

10. Eric Bowser says:

Top of the 9th, down 5-4 (scored 1 run), 2 outs, last home game of the year…. and strolling to the plate is Pedro Alvarez.

11. matmoksik says:

at least he didn’t strike out

12. Eric Bowser says:

How does Petulant Pedro get the last at-bat of the season for the Pirates when Ryan Doumit was eligible to hit?