Wakeup Call: It’s the end of the world …

Some sporting thoughts before sunrise …

>> The Israelis and Palestinians reach accord, forest fires break out in Antarctica, reality TV drops to the bottom of the Nielsen ratings, and the Pirates win in Milwaukee.

Well, at least one of those actually happened yesterday.

And far be it from me to diminish it.

>> This is my Tuesday feature on the Steelers’ Mike Wallace, complete with a KISS reference right up near the top. All that for two quarters.

>> I got the impression from more than a few Tweeters that there was much eagerness to see the Steelers re-sign Max Starks and/or Flozell Adams and/or Dermontti Dawson (who still looks great, by the way).

I’d say you’ll get a very strong signal as to whether they’re serious about anything of the sort when Mike Tomlin updates left tackle Jonathan Scott’s status at noon today.

Yeah, I know you don’t want Scott out there. I haven’t seen anything, either. But you’ll find that I usually defer to the experts when it comes to stuff like this, at least as the default mode. The Steelers had chances to sign Starks and Adams while in Latrobe and decided against it because they liked Scott better. Scott was anointed left tackle a lot earlier than other positions were announced.

They must have seen something, right?

>> While Wallace goes for 2,000, the Penguins’ defense goes for 200. Our Rob Rossi, back on the beat, has the story from camp.

Comments

1. tim cypher says:

I’m trying to remember if Ike had any catches against him this week or if he still only has that one for 7 yards?

DK: Twelve balls went Ike’s way — which was very surprising — and three catches were completed. He still played very well.

2. SkillieMischief says:

Ike got burned pretty bad on one play but thank goodness Painter overthrew his receiver by a mile

3. Dave G in Mason, OH says:

Re: The Pirates…

I don’t want to hear any whimpers that Milwaukee has won their division and they aren’t trying as hard as they might.

If the Pirates can leave Milwaukee believing they can win there, it’s a whole new ballgame next season…

Disperse the curse!

4. Tom says:

9 runs enough said

Hey, it’s great to win one in Milwaukee, but this series isn’t going to magically transform them one way or the other.

Oh, and by the way, Milwaukee has won their division and isn’t trying as hard as they might (Braun didn’t start, we’re not even going to see Gallardo, sure they want home field advantage, but they are looking ahead). [whimper]

I saw the report about Irsay tweeting a clarification after the breakfast where he said Manning won’t be back this year. Can’t picture Dan, or Art Jr for that matter, tweeting.

7. TJA says:

Dave – Agree with you re: the Pirates in BrewTown. Yes, lots of it is believing, but if (and this is a huge “if”) they can come out of Wisconsin this week and win the series/or sweep…they can build on that for 2012 and beyond. Reminds me of the Mets and their domination of the Bucs back in the 1980′s and when Leyland arrived, that began to change. It was a beautiful thing to see the Pirates beating up on the Mets when they finally got that righted and that moved them forward. Now, they have to do it again vs. the Brewers.

One series in Milwaukee is not going to get rid of the stench of being whipping boys to these guys.

Not the end of the world with a win last night, but…. take one more and it might be, no 90 loss season

If Todd Graham shows up at his news conference today – he’ll be the only one there. His news conference is on Monday.

>> Yeah, that item — now gone — was left at the bottom of my file from the previous day.

10. TJA says:

Bizrow – I agree with you that “one series” is not going to turn the tide. It’s going to take some time. All I’m suggesting is that you’ve got to start somewhere…anywhere.. to win in Miller Park, in that city, against that team. Heck in PNC park, in our city… You just have to win to begin to feel that “hey, these guys put their uniforms on the the same way we do and why can’t we beat them” attitude. I’ve read teams and players have said that about going into the Bronx and playing the Yankees, particulary in their old house. There was that feeling of we can’t beat them in Yankee Stadium…that mystique. Small victories is a start for the Bucs…

11. CWalton_67 says:

Loved the KISS reference–especially the lyric from 2000 Man. Ace singing lead was always a win. Maybe you could take up their case for the RnR Hall of Fame? I actually had Christmas dinner with Gene Simmons last year…well, sort of. He was in a Whistler, B.C. restaurant and we were seated beside him. Didn’t even realize it until they were on their way out, even though I noticed Shannon Tweed on the way in and thought…hmmm.

Add to DK’s improbable list: Starbucks Reduce Cup of Coffee to $.25… Albert Pujols Inks Reasonable Contract with Pirates…Colin Dunlap Fails to Complain that Root Sports Doesn’t Show Hot Women at PNC Crowd Shots…Pirates Agree to Demolish Pirate Charities Sign…ABBA Inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Oh yea…that really happened)

DK: ABBA in, KISS out.

13. TJA says:

JohninOshkosh – beautiful! Just beautiful…particualry the sign. Yep, they needed something to place their after the ’06 ASG logo was taken down. Enough already.

14. JoeBucco says:

Nothing cheap about that win last night. Brewers DESPERATELY want home field advantage, and they NEED to win these games. Love that the Buccos stuck it to them last night. But with the D’Backs loss, the Brewers are still up 1 game for home field. So, they NEED to win again tonight. Come on, Dorf! Love to beat these guys, especially when it really hurts them.

BTW, I’ll have lots of TV time tonight. I’m in prime camera shot area, right behind Pirates on deck circle, perfect view from the 1st base side camera shooting in at the batter. Tonight, I’ll be the guy wearing my yellow Root Sports Lets Go Bucs t-shirt. I figure that may get some TV coverage as well.

15. JoeBucco says:

Brewers had a little fan giveaway at the game last night. Here is the one they gave me. :)

@JoeBucco

The Brewers were so DESPERATE last night, Ryan Braun didn’t start.

Apropos of nothing written on this thread, but I suspect a number of you are comic geeks like myself. Has anyone been a sucker like me and bitten on DC’s crass marketing maneuver “The New 52″? I picked up “Batman” and “Action Comics” today. Wondering if any other titles were worthwhile.

18. Dejan Kovacevic says:

@Oshkosh: I’m getting most of the No. 1s in the new 52, even though I really don’t like the renumbering concept. The quality has been mostly good. Of all them, Aquaman looks most promising. Comes out tomorrow. Oddly, Batgirl also was good. Didn’t see that coming, but I guess that’s the advantage of trying out a lot of them.

Thanks, Dejan. Just about to pick my 10 year old up at school, then off to the comic book store. Not sure who will be more excited. Will pick up Aquaman and, can’t believe I’m writing this, Batgirl.

20. SeanAY says:

Today’s board has ranged from Pittsburgh sports, to KISS, to The New 52.

And some wonder why I check in everyday…

Just go pick up anything Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are writing. You won’t be disappointed. Grant Morrison on “Action” looks to be off to a great start. And “Demon Knights” was surprisingly awesome.

Thanks, Sean. I’m a weekly communicant at the local comic book store. I’ll probably end up like DK and get most of the New 52. Funny, since my childhood I have been a Marvel Man. Always liked the human foibles Marvel heroes exhibit, but I gotta say I have been excited for the New 52.

22. JoeBucco says:

@Milo – u think they didn’t want to give him the night off? If the game didn’t matter to them, he would have gotten it.

@JoeBucco

What I’m saying is, if Milwaukee NEEDED the game as you suggest, Ryan Braun would have started. Period.

24. Jay Geyer says:

While not an original KISS song, Ace’s take is the best. And thanks, Dejan, that’s one of those songs that gets stuck in my head for hours. That’s sincere since the songs that tend to get stuck there are NOT always songs I like.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle