Wakeup Call: Even keel works sometimes

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Some sporting thoughts before sunrise …

>> When teams that we follow start losing a lot, we tend to want to see the coach or manager flip out. We loved it when Jim Leyland flipped the food table, when Bill Cowher freaked on the punter, or when Michel Therrien called his defensemen “soff.” Makes us feel like they’re with us, like they share our disappointment or pain.

It’s rarely the right course, though.

I learned something about Dan Bylsma on this trip through Winnipeg and here. He had every reason to cite excuses. Huge, glaring, you-gotta-be-kidding-me excuses. But he didn’t. In fact, he most often would just change the subject and talk about systems, strategies, energy, etc.

I could go on about the benefits of that, or just show you what the Penguins did here last night.

Very impressive all-around.

>> My Wednesday column takes my Winnipeg/Minnesota experience and somehow makes it all about Pittsburgh, Herb Brooks and Brandon Saad.

>> Is three flights in three days a natural hat trick?

I’m heading this morning out to Phoenix, where the Steelers will be later in the week. Already in the middle of the country and all that.

Comments

Wakeup call was here but no one woke the comments section :)

DK: Yeah, I know. Apologies to all. I didn’t see it until just before I flew out of Minneapolis, and it was fixed back in Pittsburgh right away. Strange. It was just this post that somehow shut off commenting.

3 flights in 3 days, not a natural hat trick. 3 flights in one day is and a trip to Asia can accomplish that easily

I have a lot of respect for DB. He’s a class act.
    When the going got tough, he held firm and guided this team to a great finish last season. No one thought we’d even get into the playoffs at all.

JAL ~ you’re a tough cookie…lol

4. DMac says:

YOu don’t have to fly out of the country to do 3 flights in one day…trust me. :0)

Comments came up a bit too late for morning links but here are couple of good stories on the Pirates

4—Pirates Prospects

Pittsburgh Pirates 2011 Position Recap: The Bullpen

8 Why Gavs

WHYGAVS Top 21 Pitching Prospects: October 2011

Is there any member of the Pittsburgh media that Ryan Clark hasn’t had a run in with ? Andrew Filliponi is the latest on their own show on The Fan. Clark ambushed the show’s opening by calling Filliponi & anyone who thought he contributed to Troy Polamalu’s problems on Sunday by headbutting him after the play, and I quote here “retarded”. Sorry for the use of the word but I think it’s important.

How is this clown still employed by The Fan. Does he have pictures of someone in management ? After his twitter battle with Gregg Giannotti & public confrontation with Joe Bendel, I can think of no other reason for him to remain employed there.

I call for his firing for the use of that word alone.

7. Eric Bowser says:

@Milo

Ryan Clark is classless off the field and overrated on it. The Fan need to dump Clark and Steelers need to be questioned for allowing him to get a free ride with his conduct.

Mike Tomlin has no control on this loser.

8. Woomer says:

I’m not condoning Clark’s comments. As a matter of fact, I have a problem with putting anyone on the public airwaves that hasn’t been properly-trained to be there. But that’s a discussion for another day….and one that I’m not likely to make any headway with anyway.

But as far as football is concerned — I think the Steelers should keep Clark on the field playing free safety until they find someone who can play the position better.