Comments

Let me get this straight. We couldn’t afford to pay Rob Scuderi $3.5 million, but it’s perfectly acceptable to pay Paul (old minus 11) Martin $5.5 million. When he’s really not any better than Jordan Leopold who makes $3 million.

Just learning the new math.

2. Eric Bowser says:

@Milo – For the first two years post lockout, NHL salaries made sense but they don’t any more. Owners and General Managers just couldn’t help themselves as they paid and overpaid too quickly coming out of the lockout and before too long, we’re going to see another breaking point for the NHL as I doubt revenues match.

3. Eric Bowser says:

James Neal is a monster right now, just owning the boards playing like Marian Hossa did with Sidney Crosby. There is NO WAY Neal comes off the line with Evgeni Malkin and Steve Sullivan. This team’s top three lines should be setup perfectly upon Crosby’s return from his concussion.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
    Sullivan-Malkin-Neal
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

4th line is shaping up to be Park with Asham and Adams leaving Jeffrey, Vitale, Tangradi, and MacIntyre on the AHL chop block. Such quality depth for the Penguins and this after they lost Nick Johnson on waivers to Minnesota and traded Mark Letestu to Columbus for a draft pick.

4. Eric Bowser says:

Amazing what this Pens’ power play can do when they win the puck battles, make quick crisp passes and shooters get chance to crank their shots.

Eric- Speaking of money, James Neal is on his way to making a boat load.

6. Eric Bowser says:

Oh my word, Letang just scored the sweetest goal for a defenseman that you’ll ever see in the NHL these days.

7. Eric Bowser says:

@Milo – agreed on next deal for Neal…. I just hope he doesn’t price himself out of Pittsburgh like Hossa did.

Eric, there’s another instance where that Martin deal is just a killer.

9. sidelinespensfan says:

I guess I understand why people must talk about player salaries, but I take the position that these things tend to work themselves out. There is no reason to worry that Martin’s deal will hinder them re-signing Neal. Shero has put together some pretty strong teams during his tenure, and I suspect that will continue for the foreseeable future.

Just to continue to make my point. The Steelers salary cap situation is often fodder for discussion every off-season, yet they continue to field strong teams one way or another. Just sayin’

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle