Wakeup Call: The hole gets deeper

Some sporting thoughts before sunrise …

>> Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. You’ve probably read that a time or twenty in recent days as it relates to the Penn State child rape scandal. It’s true, and there are great and noble reasons behind the statement. It’s one of the pillars of our democracy.

That said, the Jerry Sandusky interview on NBC last night made me close to literally ill.

>> Mike McQueary, in an email to teammates obtained by NBC, said, “I did the right thing.”

This actually was the tiniest bit easier to handle when you couldn’t hear either of these guys.

>> Earlier yesterday, I had a wonderful time at Pitt’s basketball practice. Thanks to Jamie Dixon, Greg Hotchkiss and everyone else for their time and thoughtfulness. Looking forward to writing on the topic for a column in the near future. Some stuff that might surprise you.

>> Check this out …

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERA-GY2K1o

The NHL decided yesterday not to suspend Milan Lucic for deliberately running Ryan Miller there. The goaltender is not fair game out of the crease. It’s in the rulebook.

What the league did, essentially, was tell the Sabres to take care of this themselves.

(Groan.)

>> The Penguins’ next home game after tonight is Nov. 21 against the Islanders. Thus, that’s going to be the next game circled on everyone’s Sidney Crosby watch.

Not mine.

When he plays, he plays.

>> Hines Ward will be in Canton someday, and deservedly so. But he quietly dropped to No. 4 on the depth chart Sunday behind Jerricho Cotchery, which means he might actually be No. 5 once Emmanuel Sanders returns.

Say what you want about that being the right decision — it certainly is where Sanders is concerned — it’s still a tough and admirable one by Mike Tomlin. Not all coaches could do it.

>> The Steelers’ scene probably will be a bit quiet the next few days, with the bye week coming. You’d have to think the timing for the bye is about as good as they could get, especially in allowing LaMarr Woodley to get back. Could be Ben Roethlisberger could use a spell, too.

Comments

1. Pensfan says:

You didn;t comment on Shanahan’s decision not to suspend Lucic for the hit on Miller. Even Kerry Fraser, retired Ref, now consultant on TSN, was calling his decision “surprising” and “declaring open season on goalies” Fraser also cites the rules, long taught to, and followed by NHL refs, and says the hit was worth at minimun a two game suspension.

Others have cited the long list of Bruins players who have gotten a “pass” for misconduct and suggest conspiracy. What is your take on the matter?

Major mis-step by Shanny?

DK: I wasn’t done with the Penguins and Steelers items when you posted.

2. Derek says:

“When he plays, he plays.”

Exactly. Seeing Keith Primeau refuse the Winter Classic old-timers game due to STILL having concussion-like symptoms is awfully telling. At 10-4-3, the Pens certainly aren’t hurting for 87 to come back as much as the fans are. When he’s ready, he’s ready, but until then, be happy with what we have and where we are, and be excited for what could become when Crosby is back at 100%.

And hopefully when he returns, the injury bug can go haunt another team (preferably the Flyers and/or Capitals).

3. Officer Mancuso says:

Of all the football players I’ve watched play the game, I enjoyed and admired the way Hines Ward did it most.

7 Bucs Dugout

Olney: MLB Considering Draft Spending Penalties, Getting Rid Of Comp Picks

Pirates Offered $200,000 To Mexican Pitcher Julio César Urías

Pirates Beat Angels To Rod Barajas, According To Report

8 The Green Weenie

News and Notes

9 WhyGavs

Neal Huntington in Vermont, Ryan Doumit, the CBA, and Gerrit Cole

10 Rumbunter

Report: Pittsburgh Pirates Out On Yoenis Cespedes, Chicago Cubs In

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES

12 Courier Mail

Major League star Xavier Paul unwitting player in scam that hits Brisbane Bandits baseball team

13 Manchester Journal

Baseball cards for big kids

14 New York Times

Even in Bankruptcy, Dodgers Can Make Big Offer to Kemp

15 Washington Times

Baseball resumes in Venezuela after Ramos abduction

16 USA Today

Pujols, Fielder in a league of their own

17 Chicago Tribune

Your Morning Phil: ROY, Cespedes, Marmol

6. leefoo says:

Officer…………I am with you on enjoying Hines’ play. I just hope he can get to 1,000 catches somehow, altho that might be tough now!

==============

I am soooooooooooo glad that I didn’t know Costas was interviewing Sandusky. I might’ve gotten ‘iller’ than DK. The man is downright creepy and wierd. Just showering with kids is beyond wierd.

============
    As for McQueary………you should’ve gone to the police. Maybe that’s your dad’s fault for telling you to go to Joe? The pedophile wasn’t even Joe’s employee. Go to the police.

If someone came to me saying a former employee was a pedophile, I’d say “Sorry to hear that. Did you call the police?”.

Of course, are these the same police who didn’t prosecute the ’98 charge? In THAT case………..

Lots of blame to go around.

PSU Foo

………

7. leefoo says:

I am as broken up about the NBA season possibly being cancelled as I was about the NHL being cancelled. Actually, I think I’d rather watch hockey than watch those tattooed thugs run up and down a court. Not that there’s anything wrong with tattooed thugs. :)

Foo

……………

8. Bob Apjok says:

It is not true that everyone is “innocent until proven guilty”. Everyone is “PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty” before the law.

I’m I hear “horsing around” one more time, I think I am going to throw up.

Not that I used it much, but that is a phrase I will NEVER use again.

By the way, ESPN is reporting that McQueary, according to one report, actually BROKE UP AND STOPPED the 20002 incident in 2002, and that the Grand Jury Report incorrectly implied that he did not by not mentioning it.

Doesn’t mean it is true. Doesn’t mean it is not true.

But if it IS true, it paints a whole different picture of McQueary. And an even more negative one, especially of Curley and Schultz, regarding a university administration that suppressed something that was even more blatant and obvious. For if McQueary actually stopped the rape, that meant he was a much more credible witness than a guy who turned the corner and thought he saw something for a few seconds before running out.

And if true, it raises even more painfully the disconnect between the testimony of McQueary and Joe Paterno.

“the 20002 incident in 2002″

i’m an idiot.

Of all the bizarre things about the interview, including that it took place at all, the fact Sandusky’s lawyer was there in person and Sandusky was on the phone was also creepy. If the idea (from Sandusky’s viewpoint) is to try to convince people you are believable, why are you hiding behind the curtain?

Can you imagine of Sandusky is found innocent? I don’t mean IS innocent, but in an OJ like trial, found innocent when nearly everyone outside of the courtroom views him as guilty.

Arriba, if something like THAT happens, forget Sandusky going to NY for an interview. With his, um, distinctive features all over the media, he may feel that he can never leave his home again.

13. diehard says:

The NHL and Shanahan have done a good and fair job with their suspensions thus far. This incident totally discredits them and returns them to the joke of disciplinarians they were before. Yes, when you throw in the Chara hit from last year there is definitely some apparent favoritism being shown the Bruins way versus the rest of the league. Garbage.

Diehard – Is this incident pro-Bruins or anti-goalie? Sort of like the NFL’s ‘kickers-are-not-real-football-players’ attitude.

Both from the grand jury report and from what the lawyer said last night, it sounds like they are working hard on the kid victims who are now adults to change their stories. The lawyer gloating about how they knew who the kid victim that McQueary saw was when the Grand Jury wasn’t able to identify him was particularly weird. Of course they know who it was.

i wanna talk about something else now.

i wanna THINK about something else now.

anything.

Adding to the creepiness, Sandusky’s lawyer impregnated a 17 year old when he was 49. You just can’t make this stuff up.

18. leefoo says:

Drew/AW……..Im glad to hear McQ ‘broke up’ the ‘horsing around’ (sorry……..had to say it again :)).

However, it still doesn’t explain a) why he didn’t go to the police instead of JoePa and b) why he did NOTHING when it went nowhere in the PSU chain.

I couldn’t live with myself knowing what I saw and seeing nothing being done. UNLESS, Jerry the Ped WAS just horsing around and McQ just made up the sodomy charge. Maybe that’s why, what went up the PSU chain was different than what McQ told the Grand Jury?

Whole lotta ‘splainin’ left to do for a whole lotta folks.

PSU Foo

………….

Got back late last night from a visit to my granddaughters and Mickey’s Christmas. I almost fell over when I turned on Sportscenter and saw the interview.

You can’t make this stuff up

20. leefoo says:

Milo…………at least it was a girl and not a guy?

21. leefoo says:

Drew

H O R S I N G A R O U N D
    H O R S I N G A R O U N D
    H O R S I N G A R O U N D
    H O R S I N G A R O U N D
    H O R S I N G A R O U N D
    H O R S I N G A R O U N D

CruelLee yours,
    Foo

…………

Drew, it certainly looks like the NHL is pro-Boston. In any case, they just gave unwritten notice that the teams will have to handle situations like this themselves. Looks like more fighting is on they way.

Cruella DeFoo…STOP it.

Those are fair Qs to ask McQueary, but this is a matter of degrees. If he broke “it” up, his degree of guilt is less. Not necessarily gone but less. They are not all equally guilty. Of course Sandusky, if even half true, gets his own circle of hell. But based on facts of the case, assuming it IS a fact, it is fair to say that McQueary is getting painted with an uglier brush than he deserves.

But remember – if it IS true that he broke it up and pulled the boy away.

This is just one report. WE DON’T KNOW.

24. leefoo says:

“This is just one report. WE DON’T KNOW”

sorta somewhat agree….still lots to come out.

Foo

………..

I’m changing topics because I need to.

Steelers.

So one week they look like one of the very best teams in football. Then they don’t.

And Ravens.

One week they look like one of the very best teams in football. Then they don’t.

Is it possible we are simply watching the ups and downs that we should EXPECT from teams that are Good…but not Great?

26. BenderHeel says:

If McQueary did, in fact, stop Sandusky in the shower in that 2002 incident, why didn’t McQueary mention that very critical fact when he testified before the grand jury? Me thinks it’s an attempt by the red-headed one to improve his reputation. If he did act, he certainly would have mentioned that in his testimony. While I don’t have access to his actual testimony, the grand jury report states that he “left immediately, distraught.” Being familiar with how these grand jury reports work, I can tell you that if McQueary had testified that he did something – as he now claims – the grand jury report would definitely reflect his action.

Lee/PSUFoo: The police do NOT prosecute crimes; the district attorneys office for the particular county does. The police did EVERYTHING it could in connection with investigating Sandusky for the 1998 incident and bringing it to the Centre County DA’s Office on a freakin’ platter. You would have to ask Ray Gricar why he chose not to prosecute Sandusky. Of course, you’d first have to find Gricar….

27. leefoo says:

BenderHeel…….another aspect of McQ…….he golfed in Sandusky’s golf tournament just about every year. I doubt I could do that if I ‘was covering it up’, as some have accused the PSU trust.

You are correct about the DA being more to blame. I forgot about Gricar.

==============
    Drew……..Steelers/Ravens………yes.

Bender – we DO NOT KNOW all that McQueary told the Grand Jury. We only know what the DA put into the report. Maybe he DID tell them, maybe he did not. McQueary was not the focus; he was a witness. So the DA may have edited the report down to bare bones to reflect most poorly on his indictees and not put in details that reflected more on McQ than Sandusky (or Curley or Schultz).

Grand Jury Reports NEVER share everything known. Remember, they have MONTHS of testimony. Also, here is often strategy about what to include and what to save.

It will come out, one way or the other.

oops…i meant to stop with that subject for the day.

So back to Steelers.

To broaden my good-not-great point a bit…So if they are “just” good, then that means they are talented, even VERY talented in some ways, but in other ways they have holes. So other teams can, at times, expose those holes. And at other times, the talented Steeler players can take over a game.

Up and down. Occasionally exposed, and often not. 10-6, 11-5, 9-7 teams are like that. Good. But JUST good.

Frankly, I thought that the Steelers’ Super Bowl team that beat Seattle was “Just Good.” But they got on an amazing roll, and a few of their great players seemed to carry them when it counted. Remember, through 12 games they were 7-5 and, at that point, out of the playoffs. Then they never lost again. Cowher said – and got a bit bloodied for it – that they were not the most talented team in football that year. I think he was saying it in different words. But I took his comments as a compliment for the players and coaches, not an insult.

Many team in the NFL are so close in talent that small things shift the balance. You beat a good team in a hard fought game and next week it may difficult to get up for a seemingly lesser opponent. Could even be physical as that you expend so energy one week that you lack some energy the next week. Neither the Steelers nor the Ravens are great teams.

As Drew said, the AG’s Grand Jury report isn’t the full story, and as Benderheel said, you would think they would put something as important as “I stopped it”
    in the report. Where those two views maybe coincide is the specification in the report that McQ testified that both Sandusky and Victim 2 saw him see them. Think of being a teenager in your girlfiend (or boyfriend’s) house and he/she’s parents walking in on you. You think you see them seeing you and go back to business? Or your kids walking in on you and your wife. And this is something VERY different. I wondered why they specified that they both saw him. Could easily be report code for Sandusky stopped once they saw that McQueary saw them. Just a theory. But I think many people are thinking “stopping them” means physically intervening or at least verbally intervening, when maybe just Sandusky seeing McQ seeing him was enough to stop it.

32. BenderHeel says:

Drew71: Have you written a grand jury report or been involved with one? I doubt it. Trust me, if McQueary had testified that he had taken action on that fateful night, it certainly would have been included within the report.

Written? No. Involved? YES.

34. BenderHeel says:

Involved in that your a prosecutor at a DA’s Office or the AG’s Office involved in presenting the case before the grand jury?

The Mets may be willing to trade either Daniel Murphy or Lucas Duda. A real team would look in to that.

BenderHeel—if Sandusky and the boy saw McQueary see them (as the report specifically stated and had to have come from McQueary) there would be no need to say that Sandusky stopped. The “action” he took may have been looking in the shower, which he testified to and which most probably stopped the activity.

Witness and then, separately, advised a company that had a potential to be a target of a grand jury re: business practices and non-disclosed compensation. Following successful closure of this second situation, trained company and educated their clients on the outcome…and how to reduce risk of being targeted or called. My background was business practice of the issue, not law. As with the Sandusky/PSU GJ Report, that GJ heard months and months and months of testimony and they boiled it down to about a 35 page double spaced report. It was a very technical matter but was purposely written to be as brief and (relatively) engaging to the average reader as possible.

Oddly, in the hours since you brought this Q up, I received a call from my son who has been subpoenaed to be a witness in early December…but to a court case not to a GJ. Bender, you must have powers. (He’s at no risk as far as I can tell, but I haven’t yet read the subpoena materials.)

Arriba: If McQueary “stopped” it just because Sandusky saw him and Sandusky decided to stop, then that is not the active kind of stopping that someone should be commended for. I suspect that is what you are getting at.

Off for a bit.

38. BenderHeel says:

Arriba: In my opinion, looking into the shower and witnesses a rape isn’t really taking action to stop the rape – and it’s especially not in the same vein as the “I didn’t just turn and run….I made sure it stopped” that McQueary is now claiming in his email to friends and former teammates to buttress his reputation.

And does anyone think that the victim considers what McQueary did to have “stopped” anything? I mean, here’s a kid being violated in one of the worst manners possible by an adult who he thinks he can trust. Then as he’s being raped, another adult sees them. And does absolutely nothing at the scene.

And even after he leaves the scene, he manages to only call his daddy.

Victim never sees the perpetrator of the act brought to justice. No adults saved him or stood up for him.

39. BenderHeel says:

Drew:

“It was a very technical matter but was purposely written to be as brief and (relatively) engaging to the average reader as possible.”

Trust me on this: you’re wrong. The prosecutors who write the grand jury report will include the pertinent details. Again, if McQueary had offered any testimony consistent with his post facto claim that he “made sure it stopped” – which connotes an action greater than merely witnessing a child rape – then the report would have reflected such testimony.

And being a witness and a business advisor to a target of a grand jury proceeding is on the outside looking in on the grand jury report process and what goes into it.

BenderHeel–have you seen what McCreary has said in his e-mails? I haven’t. I heard he said he “stopped it.” If him looking in stopped it that is true. And I’m not here to praise McQueary or bury him. I’m just talking about what may be occurring between what we think McQueary said, what occurred and what the GJ report said. I also heard he said he did everything right. That obviously isn’t true regardless of whether they stopped when they saw him. The grand jury report, I believe, said no one reported it to the police.

Darn good thing we decided to talk about something else ;-]

The blog held hostage by daylight savings time – Day 10.

Mike McQueary talks for the 1st time – tonight on the CBS Evening News.

Am I the only one that thinks these guys are getting paid for these appearances ?

Much more in-depth article (than usual) on ESPN about McQueary.

Not a hatchet job. Not support. Just a deeper dive than one usually finds. Here it is:

One interesting quote from the story that relates to the previous conversation:
    - “It is not unusual for a grand jury to leave certain details of its investigation out of its report.”

45. Karen22 says:

Ew. Just ew.

Interested to see the McQueary interview. Everytime a key prosecution witness changes his story, it looks better & better for the “just horsing around” defense.

Nevermind. Nothing to see here.

I hope CBS didn’t pay for that.

Milo, it seems that no one is looking good through this mess.

50. BenderHeel says:

One interesting quote from the story that relates to the previous conversation:

- Drew, I can tell you that the “grand jury” does not write the report, so take that conversation with a huge grain of salt since the person making that statement knows not of which he speaks.

And I can also say quite confidently that if the grand jury heard testimony that Mike McQueary took some sort of action to stop the rape of a 10 year old – besides merely witnessing it – and went to the police, it definitely would have been in the grand jury report. Period.

In any event, McQueary just needs to shut up. Unless he wants to help Sandusky – again – get away with raping kids, making inconsistent statements about the details of what he did or did not do on that fateful night will not make him a good, credible witness when the actual trial rolls around.