Wakeup Call: Worse than a choke

Some sporting thoughts before sunrise …

>> Pitt’s loss to Long Beach State last night was jarring in that it was just the Panthers’ second non-conference less ever at the Pete. But that’s about it.

For one, as Jamie Dixon was saying Wednesday, Long Beach State is, in his words, “going to be in the NCAA Tournament this year,” and “a lot of teams didn’t want them on their non-conference schedule.” Again, this was Monday, not after the fact.

Digressing for a moment, the second point is debatable. As reader Chris Billick pointed out last night when I raised this on Twitter, Long Beach State also is on the non-conference schedules of Kansas, North Carolina, Louisville and San Diego State.

What isn’t debatable is that this Pitt team has an awful lot to learn about playing defense. I’ve rarely seen any opponent — never mind one with the background of Long Beach State — have such a free rein on the Panthers’ basket. Inside, outside, slashing passing, everything. And it’s not a fluke, given the almost-as-bad showing over the weekend at Rider.

I’ve already heard from readers proclaiming another Pitt “choke.” This didn’t look like a choke to me. This looked even worse, in the sense that it looked like a team that legitimately is this bad at defending. Dixon’s teams always get better defensively, but he’ll need to hit the fast-forward button.

>> I ask this with no malicious intent, I swear: What happened to all the Joe Paterno defenders?

Again, I’m not taking a shot. It’s just that we’ve gone from sixty to zero in terms of hearing all the rabid, passionate and yes, educated and intelligent defenses of Paterno’s role in the Penn State scandal.

Why is that?

>> Admit it, you’d love it tonight if the Penguins do what the Flyers did.

>> I get the interest in when Sidney Crosby might return, but not the where.

Thought he threw a pretty big hint in my interview with him a couple weeks ago that his return will come on home ice, not Tampa or Miami or anywhere else. And I’d be really, really surprised if that’s not the case.

>> In light of Jordan Staal having given the big first-intermission locker room speech two nights ago, I’m reminded of this prescient column from this summer.

>> That said, the fact that he hasn’t given an interview since Nov. 7 — 10 days ago — is leading to speculation that maybe he isn’t symptom-free anymore. I don’t believe that. If he were experiencing symptoms, his practice schedule surely would have been interrupted. It hasn’t been.

>> If you’re a Steelers fan and you don’t read the weekly ‘After Further Review’ feature by our Mark Kaboly, you’re missing out. It’s exceptionally good stuff, especially for the diehard.

>> We will have our weekly chat today at noon, as always.

Comments

1. Kevin Leary says:

Well as more things are coming to light, it’s getting harder to defend JoePa and other actors in the whole sad drama. As a current law student, I am a firm believer in reserving judgement until all the facts are available.

When it was just the indictment we were looking at, there was certainly area where intelligent minds could differ as to his moral culpability and what exactly he knew or didn’t know. When things like the transfer of his house to his wife for the sham payment (conceivably to shield their joint asset), and the “I did tell the authorities,” “I didn’t tell the authorities” dance of Mike McQueary come to light, it is becoming harder to take that stance.

DK: Nicely worded, Kevin. Glad you took my question in the right spirit. I’m guessing that others won’t, but we’ll see.

2. Pensfan says:

Dejan,
    Was it Staal who made a speech or Asham? I know Rossi was saying Staal, but the Pen’s PR staff had tweeted that ASHAM was the one to stand up and make an impassioned speech. The coach seemed to echo this later. Maybe they both did. Letang said several people said something, which Rossi then highlighted Staal, but it seemed Asham was credited by Pens on twitter and on after game comments. Maybe Staal spoke after first intermission, and Asham after 2nd intermission.

Anyway, the whole team won the game with the play and outpouring of goals in the third period. Orpik led the comeback tying the game by scoring his annual goal. :-)

3. Steve says:

Only three games in and no one may remember this loss in another 6 – 8 weeks but the Panthers do not look good. As you said DK, the defense was really poor. What was also concerning was the inability to generate any kind of inside scoring. Taylor, Birch and Co. need to contribute offensively if this team is going anywhere and based on last night’s performance they look NIT bound at best. Pitt had no answer for LBS’s 1-3-1 zone.

Joepa still has his defenders but I think as reality settles in and people have more of an opportunity to reflect on his role in the scandal they are less inclined to come to his defense. I also wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he is 85 years old and many suspected he was retiring after this season no matter what.

8 McEffect

Ramon Santiago vs. Clint Barmes

9 Rumbunter

Why Do the Pirates Like Ramon Santiago Over Ronny Cedeno?

10 WHY GAVS

Neil Walker, his extension, and perceptions

11 Raise the Jolly Roger

Very Shameless Self Promotion

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES

12 Washington Post

Venezuela baseball attracts MLB players despite Wilson Ramos kidnapping

13 Houston Chronicle

NBA should have learned from MLB

SPORTS WEBSITES

14 PBC Site

Marte named Topps Double-A All-Star

Bucs must decide who to protect from Rule 5

15 Baseball Prospectus

Spinning Yarn: Who Controls How Hard the Ball is Hit?

16 Bleacher Report

Pittsburgh Pirates: 2000s All-Decade Team

17 Seedlings to Stars

2011 S2S FSL All-Star Team: 3B Elevys Gonzalez

Steelers Blogs

-Behind the Steel Curtain

With the Pittsburgh Steelers Heading into their Bye Week, a Look Ahead to the 2012 NFL Draft

Mike Wallace Watch: Third-Year Standout’s Production Being Matched by Second-Year Gamer Antonio Brown

How Times Have Changed Since the Day Greg Lloyd’s ‘Three Count’ Knocked Al Toon out of Game with Concussion

-Steelers Depot

WV Illustrated

Quick Turnaround Could Be an Issue for WVU

PENGUIN BLOGS

—Pensburgh

ESPN’s Pierre Lebrun Hearts (and Harts) Kris Letang

9. Skip says:

DK – I’d still like to know why you and others in the media ignored the Sandusky story when it was broken way back on March 29th by the Harrisburg Patriot-News.

Mark Madden is the only journalist I’m aware of who acknowledged the original story and began asking questions (rhetorically speaking).

I’m not accusing you of anything, I’m just wondering because it is odd to me that this was ignored by so many for so long.

10. MrB says:

Speaking for myself and other JoePa defenders, we are patiently allowing the judicial process to proceed without foolishly continuing to contribute to the kangaroo court of public opinion.

Despite your job, you should try it sometime.

11. MrB says:

By the way, why don’t you give Franco Harris a call and see what he has been doing lately?

Pensfan, you are correct in that it was Asham that Bylsma said spoke up in the locker room.
    In any case, I’ve always been a Staal supporter. I love his game and what he brings to this team. He’s a team player, and never complains. He’ll never be a huge goal scorer and I couldn’t care less. He would be a good choice for a leader for this team.

13. Gregg says:

I’d prefer to think that I’m a defender of due process than of Joe Paterno. There are still so many facts outstanding that it is irresponsible for anyone to draw conclusions, especially the media.

As for Pitt, call me in February. Pitt and WVU both lost at home to good mid-majors that had a lot of experienced players. Both teams lost some of their “toughest” players and it will take time to get the new players working together. If they start losing similar games in mid-February then start to worry. Long Beach has 7 seniors, Pitt has 3, one of whom rarely plays. By late in the season the freshmen will be closer to sophomores, and so on up the line. If they don’t start player better the 2nd half of the season then you have a bad season coming. Loss in November not a big deal.

15. bdubb says:

I don’t see Pitt’s loss as a choke. They are super young off the bench and every time he went to the bench LBS went on a run. But Pitt needs an inside presence. Nas does a great job of scoring down low (how far has he come in 2 years around the basket?!) but he isn’t someone they need to double team. Plus he catches the ball away from the basket.

Back to the bench. The most experienced guy off the bench was Zanna and he has like 25 games under his belt. It is November 16th! I can see this as a positive. Those bench guys didn’t get much time so now the competition is even greater in practice. The only bad losses in college basketball are in March and Pitt has plenty of those, many that are in fact chokes.

No Dejan. I would NOT love it if the Pens did what the Flyers did.

The Flyers LOST. You know, the W-L thing that matters most in the game.

Oh, you meant that little GIMMICK? (Yes. I knew you meant that.) Fine. Have at em. Actually it would be kinda cute if every team does it, even if it would be DECIDEDLY UNORIGINAL now that the Flyers have claimed that space (as well as the guts to do it first).

But whatever. I will be more focused on the, you know, W-L thing.

All THAT said…if a team wanted to make the same statement without having the refs blow the whistle, why not have your team shut down as the Flyers did but then have your two defense men, camped deep in your own zone, pass the puck back and forth and back and forth and back and forth etc, while the rest of the team taunts the Lightning to be men and come take it away.

To make the point more so, the center can back to one side and point to indicate a pathway for the Lightning to skate.

Aside from the STATEMENT, there is a hockey benefit to this. From being forced to watch Lightning games down here for two years, one thing I’ve picked up about their style…it wears down the opposition. Tires them out attacking molasses. Often I’ve seem them “lose” the first two periods only to win by the end of the game and the other skaters tire of skating in glue.

18. jackdeloplane says:

MrB,

No one is debating the legal guilt or innocence of Paterno. That was resolved day one, two+ weeks ago when the wasn’t indicted with the AD. Those of us with some semblance of objectivity have focused on his moral obligation to do more than just follow the letter of the law, such as it is.

Step back and imagine your son under the care of a program which clearly was more focused on sweeping things under the rug than stopping a preadator. As the most powerful and influencial man on campus, clearly he was obliged to to follow up further when it became clear his boss was not going to pursue the matter further.

While clearly not guilty, he is far from innocent. I don’t think it will forever tarnish his image, but its sad to see him go out like that. I bet he wishes he did more. So do we, and that is all we are saying

19. jackdeloplane says:

DK,

As far as the Flyers gimmick, I’d rather see the pens beat them soundly to send a message for the inevitable playoff series that is looming in 6 months or so

Drew, wouldn’t it nice if this GIMMICK thing got bigger than the lightning…meaning…the league actually did something about it. It’s crap. it stinks. And it’s ruining the game of hockey.

I believe the Pens will use speed to beat the lightning. And keep in kind, the PP is much better this season. Our special teams could very well win the game for us. =)

I don’t think that Flyers / Lightning game could have worked out any better. Tampa was embarrassed for their tactics. The Flyers lost. And Guy Boucher’s scar got plenty of air time. Plus, everyone knows how you beat the 1-3-1, screen the baseline defender & backscreen the middle defender, and attack the seams. And as always, crash the boards. It also helps if you hit your threes.

DK,
    Regarding defending Paterno, it seems like this whole story has its own ’24 hour news cycle’. New information keeps coming out. Even though I think Paterno made a mistake and I refuse to discount all the good work he has done in his life, what am I supposed to defend him against?

“Nicely worded, Kevin. Glad you took my question in the right spirit. I’m guessing that others won’t, but we’ll see.” Looks like a rush to judgement.

23. MSCulver says:

Good morning Dejan

Regarding defending JoePa:

I am a proud and loyal Penn State alumni who has been a season ticket holder to Penn State football for several years. The Joe Paterno defenders are still out there and I am one of them. I strongly believe Joe could and should have done more, but that the manner in which the university handled the situation from the start (i.e. not firing Curley, Schultz, and Spanier immediately) redirected the ire of the populous and the medial directly onto Paterno instead of the individuals running the university who did not uphold their duties from the beginning.

Where did the defenders all go? The Penn State community is tired and ashamed. It’s been a tough two weeks on so many levels. The volume of texts and emails I have sent/received regarding the topic has decreased exponential from last week. I think we are seeing the natural ebb and flow of the news cycle running it’s course and now we are all in a wait and see stage. While the he-said / he-said back and forth is twisting through the news people simply desire the real facts and the judicial process to start.

Most of all the Penn State community wants to start the healing process. Hoping something positive comes out of this mess for the children and also for the university. I believe what occurred last Saturday at Beaver Stadium with the fans, coaches, players, Nebraska team, etc. was a strong statement and a first step in the right direction.

We are….Penn State

24. jackdeloplane says:

Crack,

Rush to judgement? Really? People are weighing in on the facts as they have come to light. If he wants to set the record straight, then speak about his actions and the thought process he went through when he was first presented with the information.

Based on the info out there, it seems to most people that he didn’t do enough. If more info comes out which flies in the face of those conclusions, then public opinion will shift. Until then, people will express their negative opinions of the situation and how it was handled. That is the essence of a blog entry.

Since he was let go, PSU can’t keep him from speaking about his part. So why hasn’t he? The legal process? Surely not, since he wasn’t charged with anything. He hasn’t forefited his 1st Ammendment rights. If he(or those around him) are interested in clearing his name and reputation and he did in fact do more, then he should speak out to set the record straight.

Since he hasn’t, its logical to assume we know all that he did. And most people believe it wasn’t enough.

He’s still a great man, great coach. Just flawed like most of us. I just would love to hear him say he should have done more, and use his influence to teach others what to do if faced with a similar situation in the future. He could really help with this problem.

25. I think the attention given to Tampa’s 1-3-1 system, and to the Flyers response to it, is pretty amusing. Let me go on record in saying that I don’t like the 1-3-1, but that doesn’t mean that I think the league should do anything to prevent it. It’s another neutral zone trap variant, and it has some very glaring weaknesses.

The problem for everyone else is discipline. I commend Tampa’s coach (Boucher) not for coming up with the 1-3-1, but for getting the entire team to invest in it. Since Tampa is so disciplined in their application of the system, their opponents are forced into chipping the puck deep and pursuing aggressively. It’s either that or continue to try to carry the puck into the offensive zone and get frustrated by Tampa’s manpower congestion.

Philly, quite honestly, got frustrated because they didn’t want to adapt their approach. The Pens, on the other hand, have a lineup and a system tailor-made to defeat the 1-3-1: fast, aggressive forwards who are effective on the forecheck and willing to win battles in the corners. The one line that may have problems, ironically, is the Pens most skilled line: Sullivan-Malkin-Neal. If Malkin especially insists on trying to use skill to defeat the trap, they’re not going to get anywhere.

And no, DK, I’d hate it if the Pens decided to have an on-ice pouting session like the Flyers did. The best way for the Pens to make a statement is to come out and establish a strong forecheck, control the tempo, build an early lead, and never let up (basically, continue their play from the 3rd period against the Avs). Let’s see the Pens build up a sizeable lead and see just how committed Boucher is to the 1-3-1 then…

26. Scott says:

I think much of Paterno’s defense initially was a knee-jerk reaction to “the kangaroo court of public opinion,” as one commenter earlier put it. People were upset that someone who has done so much good for so long could be so instantly vilified (it was as if he he was the one accused of abuse and not Sandusky), so the immediate reaction was to defend him, to ensure that both sides of the story were being told.

As time goes on and people’s emotions calm down, they start to realize that Paterno did have some level of culpability. Though, if it turns out that McQueary did indeed go to police, that means Paterno had no reason to do so himself, and therefore did absolutely nothing wrong, and therefore was the world’s biggest scapegoat.

Most reasonable people are continuing to wait for the rest of the facts to come out.

27. Steelfan says:

Well said JAL!!

28. leefoo says:

Dejan……now I KNOW you don’t read my posts :). I have been defending JoePa since this all started.

Even IF I am the only one.

DK: I read ‘em all, Foo. Always.

Gotta love the moral superiority of the Joe defenders (e.g., I’m defending due process), especially when they are criticizing Joe’s critics for applying their supposed “moral superiority” to Joe’s actions.

Call it what you want (I don’t label it as morals), but Joe for decades agreed with Billy Crystal’s character in “Princess Bride” that “It’s good to be the king.” Being the king also carries with it responsibilities, which he apparently fulfilled as far as it relates to his players, but with a failure that has this kind of cataclysmic results, how could there be any other reasonable outcome?

30. Rob says:

As much as I would like to defend Joe Paterno, to date I can’t find any reason, other than as is rightly pointed out the facts do need to be aired in court, and the PSU internal investigation needs to be done. That being said I also suppose in this day and age of litigation we may never hear what all of us need to hear, and that is a clear and concise explanation from Joe Paterno. If all the accolades that had been attributed to Mr. Paterno prior to this scandal breaking are even half true, you would think he would want nothing more than to get his story about the events in 2002 out in the public domain.

What we do know and yes they are all just allegations, is that Mr. Paterno was made aware of an incident between an ex coach and a young boy on school property. Regardless of the severity reported to him at the time, inappropriate or sexual molestation, I find it very hard to believe that Joe Paterno was not aware that his defensive coordinator was accused of the same thing in 1998, and now in hindsight that same assistant coach and heir apparent suddenly decides to retire in 1999. The idea that Sandusky’s behavior in these incidents was not known by Mr. Paterno is just a little too hard to believe. The State College Police, Centre County Districts Attorney’s office are by no means paid by Penn State University, but you can be damn sure phone calls were made when Mr. Sandusky was being questioned about the 1998 allegations.

Those who point out these are just allegations are correct in reminding us of that fact, but at the same time if there are justifiable reasons (moral or legal) why these incidents were swept under the rug, I think we all deserve to hear them. You can be convicted of a crime by circumstantial evidence, and the circumstances that we do know today deserve an explanation.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during Joe Paterno’s conversation with Franco Harris. Is Joe in denial? Did he convince himself that his long time friend and defensive coordinator just liked to get naked and shower with young boys? Soap them up, give them big long bear hugs, and maybe just maybe inappropriately touch their legs and thighs? Is Franco asking him what he knew and when he knew it? Is he asking him why he continued to allow Sandusky to use Penn State football facilities if he was aware of his ex coach’s weird fondness to get naked with young boys, and continue to bring these young boys to football games?

Unfortunately I don’t believe we are going to see Joe Paterno answering these questions anytime soon if ever, but if he really cared as much as he claims about Penn State he would look us all in the eye and answer all these questions. Maybe he would have to fall on his sword and tell us why as he all ready has stated, that he should have done more.

Actually the “king” quote was from History of the World, Part 1, and it was Mel Brooks. The Billy Crystal quote was “Have fun stormin’ da castle.” which could be used by the Joe defenders, I suppose.

32. BenderHeel says:

@ Kevin Leary: “When it was just the indictment we were looking at, there was certainly area where intelligent minds could differ as to his moral culpability and what exactly he knew or didn’t know. When things like the transfer of his house to his wife for the sham payment (conceivably to shield their joint asset) … it is becoming harder to take that stance.”

I’m no Paterno fan or defender, but if Joe was really trying to shield his assets, why did he transfer his State College home to his wife and not the much, much, much more valuable shore house in Avalon, NJ? Besides that, assuming that Joe and Sue owned the home as husband and wife, it would have been judgment proof anyways.

And the $1 transfer is hardly a sham payment; it’s quite common and done every day for reasons other than to shield oneself from judgments. Just look at some county real estate records, and I bet you see one such payment on every street. (In fact, I just looked up my street – 7 of 21 homes have been transferred for your so-called “sham” payment.)

33. BenderHeel says:

@ Scott: “Though, if it turns out that McQueary did indeed go to police, that means Paterno had no reason to do so himself, and therefore did absolutely nothing wrong, and therefore was the world’s biggest scapegoat.”

First of all, the State College Police Department and the University police department have both stated that McQueary did not file a complaint with them nor talk to them about the 2002 incident.

Second, even if McQueary did, as the most powerful man in Centre County, JoePa still should have gone to the police to ensure an investigation and prosecution of a child rapist.

@ jackdeloplane: “He’s still a great man, great coach. Just flawed like most of us. I just would love to hear him say he should have done more,”

JoePa did say as much: “with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.”

34. jackdeloplane says:

Bender,

Yep, you’re right, I remembered after I hit send. I guess I’d like to hear him shout it from the rooftops, not mutter it from his front porch.

I love Franco Harris and all the Paterno supporters, but, I think you have it right. I think we know the facts, and it doesn’t look good. I’m ready to be wrong, and actually hope I’m wrong, but clearly if he did aggressively pursue the allegation and the lack of obvious action by the AD, chances are we would have heard about it day 1, minute 2. Sad all around. But my point is, Joe should use his influence now to stand up, raise his hand on a national platform and talk about what he should have done and what we should all do in a similar situation.

Not seeing that right now, and its sad.

35. Scott says:

“Even if McQueary did, as the most powerful man in Centre County, JoePa still should have gone to the police to ensure an investigation and prosecution of a child rapist.”

Sorry, that’s an absurd argument. Joe Paterno is not a private detective. Once the police are investigating, it’s in their court. They’re a lot more qualified to determine if a crime was committed than a football coach or anybody else who only heard a second-hand account.

(This is all assuming that McQueary went to police, which I happen to doubt. If he didn’t, then Paterno is still very much on the hook.)

36. BenderHeel says:

@ Jack: Agree on all counts. And to your earlier point, I think you’re exactly right that JoePa is an outstanding person who stands for good values and integrity. Unfortunately, this one mistake is so grave and huge that it will likely taint his entire reputation and all the good things he has done.

In my opinion, Paterno knew about Sandusky’s sickness, willfully chose not to know, or was completely out of touch in “running” the program. None of those possibilities reflect well on the man now.

37. BenderHeel says:

@Scott:

How is it absurd? The police were NOT investigating the 2002 incident because no one had reported it. But even if the grad assistant reported it, are you honestly taking the position that a report from JoePa would not have elevated the report into the crisis/priority list and warranted greater attention from the police department? No one is suggesting that JoePa investigate – just lend his stature to the reporting of the crime as the head coach of the program in whose facilities the child rape occurred.

McQueary didn’t go to the police. Both police departments have stated as much. And McQueary never told the grand jury that he did; he immediately left, called his daddy, then visited the Godfather; he wasn’t going to take on the State College Mob. McQueary is just trying to make himself look better in the eyes of his friends and former teammates, while at the same time making Jerry Sandusky’s defense a bit easier.

38. jackdeloplane says:

@Scott,

I don’t think Bender is suggesting tha Joe go all Columbo on us. He is just mentioning that further pursuit of answers was in order.

If it were your son, would you think just doing what was required under the law was enough, or would you have wanted the most powerful, influencial man in the area trying to get to the bottom of the mess?

No question it was and is a horrible situation, but a man in Paterno’s position has(had) an incredible responsibility. One needs the wisdom of Solomon to be right all the time. In this case Paterno didn’t. But this was one situation where being wrong has been devastating to everyone.

39. jackdeloplane says:

On a completely different note, I just realized (to my surprise) after reading DK’s chat that I am also more interested in the Pens than the Steelersthis year. maybe its because I see the fact that this Pens team is on the come and the Steelers may be on the decline soon.

That, and the overall quality of play of the two teams is so different.

Pens= Consistent

Steelers= anything but

@Jack, the Pens have their ups and downs…trust me.
    Their resiliency under Dan Bylsma has been something to behold.
    I too watch the Steelers, but I’ve been a Pens fanatics since the early 90′s.

I can’t wait to see how they counter the Lightning’s 1-3-1…tonight’s game will be interesting…hope you’ll be watching because I sure will =)

41. jackdeloplane says:

@Jandy,

I live in SC, so no chance to watch. Transplanted and held against my will. On the other hand, it was 75degrees and sunny today

@ Jack 75???? We have a high of 39 here in Altoona, PA. You suck =)

Hey Jandy – your thoughts on Cory Giger ?

jackdeloplane, my rush-to-judgement comment was directed at DK in regards to him thinking that others won’t take his question in the right spirit.

———————————————————————————————
    I am still in shock about his whole story – what happened and what is happening.
    And I’m getting a bit overloaded with info and tiring of hearing about it everywhere I turn (or tune in to).
    I saw a bunch of comments of how could Paterno go out of his house and greet those students who were showing him support. And now I see people who want him to come forth and tell his story…and are criticizing him for staying quiet now.

My guess is that since he has hired a lawyer, the lawyer is probable telling him something like “look, I think you are innocent. You haven’t been indicted and you can win in civil court if it comes to that. But your best chance of winning in civil court is by telling your story when the time comes —in court. If you lose a civil case you could lose a lot”. So Paterno is taking the advice of his attorney, even though he very well would like to come out and tell his story. This is just my opinion.

45. jackdeloplane says:

@Crack,

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood the rush comment.

You are probably right about the lawyer scenario. Still, I’ve seen others stand up and accept responsibility without committing legal (or civil court) suicide, though admittedly it takes some precise language and nuance that just may be over Joe’s head at this point.

One thing for sure, no where anyone lies in the Pro-Joe, Anti-Joe sliding scale, there are no winners in this one, especially the victims, family members, PSU grads and fans.

@jandy,

Yes its true. However, cold front coming tomorrow. High only 61. Time to break out the sweaters!! Ha!

If it makes you feel any better, i can’t find a good polish sausage anywhere!

Congratulations to Dale Sveum – named manager of the Cubs today. Or should I extend my deepest sympathies ?

“What happened to all the Joe Paterno defenders?”

I was one. I continue to write that I still adore the man for all the good he has done. Yet I also agreed with his termination.

So what happened? Here’s my timeline.

1) Saturday when news broke through Monday: Initially, when VERY little was known, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that I believe he of all people has earned. And I would say that some of those who rushed to buy hot tar were doing so a bit too gleefully and too quickly. Came across as “I just KNEW that that sanctimonious SOB was phony…I’ve said it all along.” In other words, agenda driven. Not pointing at you, Dejan.

2) The Monday-Tues after news broke: I think I held on to hope too long. I was looking for any scenario that Joe was not only innocent but somehow, unknown to us, he had done the right thing. It was about this time, Dejan, that you released your Clean-House column, and I was still defending.

3) Joe releases his second statement: …hindsight, I should have done more.
    >>>As soon as I read it, my bubble popped. I realized that Joe had not done enough. I now expected and supported his termination. Sadly. But supported.

I can’t speak for the others. Just me. That is what happened to THIS JoePa supporter. And I should say, I still support HIM, as a man, just not his actions in this case.

Where am I now? Essentially the same place. Hoping there are no MORE smoking guns about Joe. But not setting any expectations one way or the other. Just hoping.

Also noticing that some people are lumping everyone at PSU in the same category of guilt. Well, except Sandusky. I think everyone believes he deserves his own special circle of Hell. But about all the other characters: some have written posts or articles which paint their guilt equally. That may not be supported by the facts. For instance, if Spanier was lied to by Curley and Schultz (a possibility but I am not necessarily predicting this), then Spanier was a dupe and the cover-up artists were Curley and Schultz. I’d STILL have fired Spanier for the tone-deaf and totally inappropriate way he handled PSU’s worst EVER event. But in that example (just a possible example), his guilt would be less. Not gone. Just less.

So how does this they’re-not-all-guilty-to-the-same-extent idea apply to Joe? I don’t know yet. We don’t know everything. He may simply be guilty of not doing enough, or he may have actively participated in a cover-up. Or anything in between. I will no longer defend what I do not know, but I also will not rush to judgment since we do not, you know, know.

But we will. And then so will I.

@Drew

By the way, about Joe Paterno – I knew that sanctimonious SOB was a phony. I knew it all along.

I wish we had “like” buttons here

Milo ~ I’ll be nice and say I don’t care for Corey Giger.

Jack ~ I just had hot italian sausage sandwiches for dinner Monday evening…let them simmer in the slow cooker with green peppers and onions and good italian spaghetti sauce all day long…so they were perfect!
    Oh, and it’s SNOWING now…so 61 still sucks lol!

Drew ~ Me too, those like buttons speak volumes don’t they???

@Jandy

Thanks. I’ve listened to his show a few times since the PSU scandal broke to see how the locals were reacting.

DK–I agree on your Mt. Rushmore of Pittsburgh sports.

Mark Madden had an interesting, and far from crazy or condemning, take on Joe’s reaction to the 1998 (if he knew) and 2002 incidents. He said he thought it was because Joe came from a different time when you didn’t let your neighbors know your secrets, you just kind of tried to push them under the rug and go on and project the face to the neighbors you want them to see. Maybe that’s a little bit ageist on Mark’s part, but it isn’t calling Joe morally wrong, just wrong era.

The Mets have now officially made it known that Daniel Murphy is available. He’s young, he’s cheap & he hit .320 with 6 homers playing his home games in Yellowstone Park. If anyone is looking for a 1st baseman, of course. Anyone around here need one of those ?

55. BenderHeel says:

@ Arriba: Blaming Joe’s failure to act on his era is the biggest stretch of logic I’ve seen in some time. I thought Joe came from “the greatest generation” who wouldn’t stand for this crap and would fight for what was right?

Benderheel–Let’s see, “interesting,” “far from crazy or condemning.” Not sure any of those are the definition of “logic.” I hate to say it, but Madden, whether he’s right or not, has a more broad minded view than you do.

I’ll bet you apply 2011 morals to things they did in the 18th Century, too? Not to mention Christopher Columbus was probably a racist, right?

My Dad, a member of that “Greatest Generation,” tells the story from WWII of how there were known homosexuals in his unit, which he didn’t have a problem with as long as they respected he wasn’t (this was way before the 1990′s don’t ask, don’t tell). There was this homosexual superior officer with a reputation for preying on subordinates, who he was warned, by one of his friends who happened to be a homosexual, that was “after him.” He believes he was protected by these gay guys until the superior officer was shipped out (not dismissed, but just to a different unit). This stuff didn’t just begin to happen recently. It’s just handled and looked at differently.

BTW, just as a post-script, he was “protected” because they knew he would probably end up being court martialed if the superior officer had tried anything, because he told them he would have beat the crap out of him, and they believed him. (Hey, it’s his story, and I believe him).

58. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@jack-I was stuck in SC once………….once. I finally was parolled!!!

59. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Arriba, these things are handled differently today because of the media and social networking things.

Just watch the youtube video of the Air Force Airman calling his dad the day the repealed DADT and told him he was gay…..

There’s more access to these subjects and people……nevermind I wont go there

60. DaveIn84 says:

Kevin Leary
    “things like the transfer of his house to his wife for the sham payment”. Maybe they didn’t cover it in school yet but many elderly folks transfer ownership to a healthier relative.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back