My National League MVP ballot

Ryan Braun narrowly beat out Matt Kemp for National League MVP. Congratulations to everyone’s most beloved Brewer.

I originally was going to vote for 10 Pirates on my ballot, but Jerry Meals fouled that up.

Here is the ballot I ended up submitting:

1. Kemp, Dodgers
  2. Braun, Brewers
  3. Joey Votto, Reds
  4. Prince Fielder, Brewers
  5. ustin Upton, Diamondbacks
  6. Albert Pujols, Cardinals
  7. Lance Berkman, Cardinals
  8. Jose Reyes, Mets
  9. Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
  10. Michael Morse, Nationals

Comments

So why not just vote for Meals?

DK: Hm.

2. DK, Why Morse over Brandon Phillips, Mike Stanton or Andrew McCutchen? All three have higher WAR, two play tougher positions. Stanton had more home runs.

DK: I’d never go straight WAR on any decision. It’s too convenient a crutch for too many, finding one catch-all stat and saying, well, this is it. Morse’s overall numbers are very good.

McCutchen never was a consideration. Look at his second half.

3. Jake says:

You know you could legitimately put have put McCutchen on your ballot. 9th in FanGraphs WAR amongst position players and 12th overall. In fact he’s ahead of Fielder, Pujols, Berkman, and Morse. You probably could have given some consideration to one or three pitchers down ballot as well. All in all no complaints.

4. Jake says:

RE: Second half OPS by month July/August/September .868/.811/.671. The bad September really crushes his second half numbers.

DK

This was a tough one for me. I thought Kemp was the best player in the NL from day 1, but he did it in relative anonymity (as anonymous as you can be in LA). Braun had his great year in the midst of a pennant race. How much weight do you give that ?

DK: Very, very hard decision. Kemp’s overall numbers are better, but Braun was instrumental in what the Brewers did. I do weigh team aspects as it relates solely to MVP, but it’s an individual award at the end of the day.

6. 1buccofan says:

Dejan; This from a guy who wants to retain a shortstop who has the lowest baseball IQ in either league. Not to mention a cancer in the clubhouse. Same guy that sacrificed with 1 out and pitcher on deck prompting his manager’s time for Ronny to be rebooted. My guess is a ham sandwhich would qualify as an upgrade. But of course your the guy when Walker and McCutcheon fail in the clutch to pat them on the back.

DK: Yes, because that’s relevant.

That’s it ! Finally an answer. The replacement player is obviously a ham sandwich.

Milo ~ you’re killing me!

9. Matt_newport says:

Does cap on draft/international signings extend Bucs losing streak into perpetuity?

@Matt

As new excuses go, I believe that’s the leader in the clubhouse.

11. Matt_newport says:

@Milo, can’t see how this agreement is good for the lower revenue teams that spend above slot to get players that would typically not sign. It will also push 2-sport athletes like Bubba Starling to other sports. It will increase spending on ML level players, which is what the PA wanted, but that only means the Buccos would be giving Barmes a 3 year, $21M deal next year instead of the 2 year, 10.5M deal he got this year.

Do we still get a sammich pick for losing Doumit?

I like the ham sandwich idea, with guidens mustard?

1buccofan seems to have a bit of an agenda. Putting the “DK you suck” part aside for now, what’s the issue with Cutch and Walker? (No offense, DK, just trying to get at the root of the problem). Doesn’t compute. Ah, I think I have it–Cutch and Walker were not His Nealness’s draft picks. So 1buccofan thinks you hate all things Neal. Does that also mean he secretly thinks you love Dave Littlefield? Or maybe Neal cut you off in traffic one day.

Maybe DK and 1buccofan went to elementary school together, and one day they argued the merits of Frank Taveras vs. Mario Mendoza ? Then DK stole his ham sandwich ?

I’m guessing someone stole 1buccofan’s ham sandwich, but I don’t want to make any unsubstantiated allegations.

But wait . . . Neal TRADED Jack Wilson for Cedeno. I think my theory just sprang a leak (not about the ham sandwich, but about the Neal hate angle).

16. Smitty 50 says:

Well guys, I’d love to read some more of your comments, but I suddenly have this undeniable craving for a ham sammich,,,lol see ya

Hmm, the Meals reference made of think–wonder if every team has person that caused them to cringe. Just off the top of my head:

Pirates have Meals and Cabrera; Cubs have Bartman, Orioles Maier, Dodgers have Mickey Owen, Giants Fred Merkle and Fred Snodgrass, Red Sox have Buckner.