Impressions from PedroFest … er, PirateFest

Some odds and ends from the Pirates’ annual media luncheon that leads into PirateFest …

>> First, here are all the details of the weekend for you and yours. The thing to know is that the event space will be much larger, so those typically eternal lines for games and autographs should be shorter.

>> A source tells me the Pirates are in talks with recently non-tendered left-handed starter Jo-Jo Reyes. It would be a minor-league contract. Here is a breakdown of Reyes. I wouldn’t get all up in arms when you look at his stats. The team has challenged Brad Lincoln to come into spring training ready to make the team, and he sounds like that’s OK with him: “I take it as motivation. It gets me going.”

>> Most of the attention went to Pedro Alvarez, who in addition to a really bad haircut — “I lost a bet,” he said — looked to be in great shape. You could even see it in his face, which looked thinner.

“I’m working hard, and I’m doing my best,” he said.

>> There has been no progress between on long-term contracts with Andrew McCutchen or Neil Walker.

>> Clint Hurdle has challenged James McDonald to throw “multiple complete games” in 2012. Given McDonald’s inability to get much past the sixth, it’s a big challenge, too.

“I can do it,” McDonald said.

>> Players were delighted that the bullpen was kept intact. All seemed aware that this was new for Neal Huntington, and they seemed to appreciate it.

“Get through six innings, and we’ll take it home,” Chris Resop said. “Especially getting Evan Meek back, it’s going to be really strong.”

Resop then motioned to McDonald, standing on the other side of me.

“That’s you, man. We need you. Take us deep into the game.”

McDonald nodded.

>> If you missed it, this was my Friday column on the Pirates’ blah offseason.

Comments

1. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

J-Mac could be a dominate pitcher, if he can get through that 6th inning. His curveball is a “swing and miss” type of pitch, he has the tools, he has the stuff…..Now lets see if he can bring it all together. I expect a break out season for him.

2. JMB says:

Dejan_Kovacevic
    Hurdle: “I’ve appreciated the work we’ve done this winter. We were aggressive. We identified needs and went after them.”

BiertempfelTrib
    #pirates GM Huntington: “for 1st time since I’ve been here, I stand here truly excited (about team)”

Those two tweets/quotes are shocking.

I thought Hurdle would be an “All-In” no BS bad dude who would not accept the same ol’ same ol’, but he is just another snake oil salesmen shoveling manure to the masses.

I’m glad NH is “truly excited” since the fan base is not.

3. CWalton_67 says:

Was there any mention of signing any actual major league quality players?

4. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Catcher, SS, SP was upgraded……slightly, but not enough to get us over .500, that’s for sure. SP, meaning Bedard, is a better pitcher than PM, though injury prone.

They were aggressive in these signings, just not the names fans want to see….I include myself as one.

5. thunder says:

Meet you here next year, really excited.

Wait a minute, I thought talk about Pedro’s weight last year was much ado about nothing.

I’m still hoping they come to an agreement with Maholm. We need the innings eaten. We need another starter, I’m not totally sold on McDonald for the reasons stated here

8. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

PM would be a good addition, but I’m guessing he’s happy to be outta here…J-Mac will get it done..

9. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Milo–that does sound similiar to last year’s talk, doesn’t it. He has 1B written all over him.

@Ryan

I’m afraid he has Chad Hermansen written all over him.

11. Milo Hamilton (NOT the mediocre announcer),

Good call on the Chad Hermanson reference. Excellent, yet foreboding, reference!

Hey Groat – I resemble that remark.

13. December 16

64 days until Pirate Spring Training
    86 days until clock is correct on Dejan’s Blog

That soon ?

” I wouldn’t get all up in arms when you look at his stats.”

No problem, Dejan. After scanning them, too busy tossing my cookies to get up at all.

Line of the day:

“Meet you here next year, really excited.”

(and to think, from HIM)

17. Intriguing—no
    insightful—no
    unfortunate—no

Not sure how to describe the ongoing discussion on the “Pay Me to Express Your Opinions” Page at the other rag. Residents are opining on “attitude” of FBW [Former Beat Writer]. Catchy.

I felt like a Peeping Tom, so I left.
    I would rather talk baseball.

Not to be (too) critical, but what other posters are doing on the other site, taking shots at the FBW so they can earn pats on the back…how is that any different than taking shots at those other posters to get pats on the back on this site?

Couldn’t make Piratefest but did a caravan stop in Morgantown. McKenry was very complimentary of Karstens, hits spots perfectly (I had asked him why some pitchers can’t throw strikes). Also said Karstens is a tough competitor.

Mike Milbury, former NHL coach and player and current analyst, has been charged with assaulting a 12 year old child.

Not to try to be funny but for clarity…not THAT kind of assault.

If true, sort of an example of Little League Parent Fever. Important note: He denies the charges and it may not be true.

He is on leave of absence while he addresses the charges.

21. Drew,
    Why so touchy?
    There’s no pats on the back to be had here.
    There’s no ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ buttons here.

I commented on the soap opera style of the other site, where I went to talk baseball, and expressed my dislike here rather than involve myself there. I said I preferred to talk baseball. I said it felt creepy.

If I was looking for pats on the back . . . geez, I actually have no response to you.

The only reaction I got here was a defensive accusation from one of the participants.
    Why the attack mode?

22. Micah says:

I think the pirates should trade for Kendrys Morales. He is young, has tons of power, is a good fielder, and bats for average. We should trade one of our relievers for him since the angels have Pujols and Trumbo at first. Morales should be back in June and would solve our power and first base need. Morales also has a cheap scontract

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back