Wakeup Call: No more BROKEN NECK

MUNCIE, Ind. — Brief and to the Point …

>> My Wednesday column is about God. And warfare and revolution and Kardashians and the Beard.

If that doesn’t make any sense — and it couldn’t — here are some images I snapped at Media Day …

Brett Keisel interviews Patriots fullback Lousaka Polite — formerly of Pitt — on behalf of his sponsor. Check the column for the hair-raising details.

That’s Ines Saenz, the briefly famous Azteca reporter. She hasn’t toned it down much. (What’s up with that photographer turning and giving me the evil eye, anyway? He snapped a pic right before I did!)

Tom Brady, the main attraction. Oh, and that reminds me: Here’s my brief news item and video with him.

>> The Sidney Crosby saga clearly won’t settle itself until he’s scoring goals against the Islanders again.

Now, the neck deemed broken by a specialist in Los Angeles was deemed not broken by another specialist in Philadelphia, after which the specialist in Los Angeles concurred and was put in a supervisory capacity of the whole process.

Got all that?

The agent tells a national Canadian network about two fractured vertebrae on Saturday, the Penguins rush out a release confirming only a “neck injury,” then 72 hours later, it’s all 100 percent definitive.

Believe me, I get it when I hear from fans flustered by this stuff.

That said, good for the Penguins’ higher-ups for getting it right Monday and Tuesday. Mario Lemieux and team president David Morehouse accompanied Crosby and his agent, Pat Brisson, to Philadelphia for that trip. That’s a whole lot of muscle to watch a doctor examine existing scans, but it also sends a powerful message to all concerned — and by that I mean mostly internally — that working together is important. That’s outstanding, especially on 66′s part.

In my column Monday, above any other point, I urged all parties to make this happen. I also emphasized repeatedly the BROKEN NECK diagnosis — that’s what you call a break in the C1 and C2 areas — to further stress the urgency of addressing it. I’m not nearly stupid enough to think the column had anything to do with how Monday and Tuesday played out. If you just think about the logistics of it, that’s close to impossible. But I’m still encouraged for the team and its captain that it happened.

>> Eight-game winning streak?

So much for Crosby’s concern about being a distraction to the team.

Comments

1. SD says:

-Why over the weekend did the Pens confirm there was a neck injury and that it had fully healed, when today they said Sid needs continuing treatment and the injury was not healed?

-What caused this soft tissue injury? Was it the Steckel hit? If so, why had it not been diagnosed? Was it against Boston? Again, why wasn’t it diagnosed?

-Ray Shero said the injury had been worked on all along. Why was there ongoing treatment for an injury that hadn’t been diagnosed?

I don’t know that we’ll ever know the full story. But, if Sid is optimistic that this is the problem and it has a solution, then I truly hope he’s right.

2. Sammich says:

In that first photo, in the upper-left side, is that Keisel’s evil twin?

DK: Keisel Kardashian.

3. Curt says:

Great article this morning Dejan.

I believe God has blessed us all with talents and abilities and everyone has their own talents and abilities to please and honor God with them on a daily basis.
    So in regards to sports, does God know who will win and lose games, sure He does. Does He care whether you win or lose, no, but does He care if you gave your best effort with the talents and abilities He made you with, YES. I know this is my own theology on God and sports, but that’s how I view the subject.

DK: Thanks, Curt, and well put. I didn’t want to go all pious on everyone, so I tried to keep it light. But make no mistake: It’s a really annoying trend.

4. Dave G in Liberty Township, OH says:

Regarding Crosby and his balance/dizziness problems:

Most balance problems are due to issues in the vestibular system.

So… it’s just a matter of time til The Best Medical Diagnosis Team in Professional Hockey figures out that—all along—it has been an inner-ear infection.

7 Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Spring Training Tracker

PIRATE BLOGS

8—Pirates Prospects

Does a Big Free Agent Make Sense For the Pirates?

Early Look at the Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 Payroll

9 Bucs Dugout

Retrospective Scouting Reports (2011/2012) – Guess the Player

10 Rumbunter

How Many Innings Can The Pirates Get Out Of Their Starters?

SPORTS WEBSITES

Terrible Podcast-Chris Hoke Interview

-Steelers Gab

Tomlin Talks to Todd Haley About the OC Job

8. February 1

17 days from today Pitchers & Catchers report to Pirate Spring Training

I CAN’T WAIT!!

Ouch, I think I just got a BROKEN NECK from screaming.

If God wills it, this is the year the Pirates finish above .500.
    {To quote Miracle Max: “It will take a miracle.”

Groat, man, you need to go see a CHIOPRACTOR for your BROKEN NECK! ;)

10. Jandy,
    My cat just took a look at my BROKEN NECK and let me know it’s just a soft-tissue injury.

Dave in W. Ohio, notice you’re now at your new address. Hope the new digs are great!

Curt, thanks for the theology lesson. Your comments were appropriate and I strongly agree with them. Good job.

DK, the article is timely and priceless! It’s amusing how human nature makes God fit into the overall picture in whatever collective nature they wish Her to be. Then you have the people who, if asked if they believe in God, would tell you they aren’t sure, but as soon as something bad/amazing/apocalyptic happens, they immediately say “Oh My God!”

Love your take on this, DK, great job =)

DK: Thanks, Jandy.

Groat, Oh, then you got a free CAT scan – had to ;)

13. Ouch! I think I just got a BROKEN NECK laughing out loud, Altoona Girl!

14. bdubb says:

Great article and one that is way overdue.

Now excuse me, I need to go back figuring out why the golf gods hate me so much.

DK: The same reason I’ve spent half my life pleading with the hockey gods.

15. Karen22 says:

WELL—All I know, Dejan, is that “I believe in the Church of Baseball. I’ve tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. And the only church that truly feeds the soul, day-in day-out, is the Church of Baseball.” And another reason: Because “there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance.”

BUT—”Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.”

Regardless, “I’m going to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, everything will work out.”

Amen

DK: YES, YES and YES. Long been convinced there is no greater force in this or any other realm than the vicious, vindictive baseball gods, the same ones who would put Mike McKenry in position to be part of the Pirates’ best and worst moments of the past decade.

16. LuckyNKentucky says:

Great column. Being a minister, I agree with Curt and Groat. Give 100%, like Tebow, Ben, even Ray Lewis or anyone who maintains a good witness and God will be honored. DK, I noticed you didn’t mention your stance in any serious vein. (Kidding). By the way, it was God’s will the Pirates finish above .500 many years ago, but people got in the way. The Bible says we, as Christians are always triumphant in Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14) and there have been many Christians on the Pirates over the years. It has more to do with people, not God underperforming.

DK: People definitely got in the way.

Please accept my application to be your intern for Super Bowl week. And I think that the first order of business is an interview with Inez Saenz.

Nice, whimsical column, DK. Seemed like perfect pitch.

I think Inez’s attire looks perfectly appropriate for her. Now, you wouldn’t look good in it …

DK: I’m pretty sure I’d never fit for you to find out!

@Karen

Why is he calling me meat ? I’m the one driving a Porsche.

20. Karen22 says:

Well, Milo, because “you don’t know (squat), all right? If you wanna make it to the bigs, you’ll listen to me. Annie only wants you so she can boss you around, got it? So relax! Let’s have some fun out here! This game’s fun, OK? Fun g*ddammit.”

Thoughtful and entertaining column.

Even if SOMEone is fixated on John Harbaugh’s baths.

If it’s your will, so be it.

DK: THANKS, DREW.

22. Leefoo says:

LuckyinKentucky #19.

If people would actually READ the Bible, they would know that we live in a fallen world and that the Devil is the ‘prince’ of this world. God is in ultimate control, but the whole point of the world is that He has given us free will to do what we want.

He is our protector, but if we want to go to war, He lets us. THAT’S why people die in wars.

We also covet, lust, etc. We also are born with a sin nature and fallible bodies.

Sounds like a recipe for bad things, but that is what WE want! God doesn’t want robots and He sure isn’t gonna over protect us like little kids.

Just sayin’

@Karen

You’re playing with my mind.

24. Leefoo says:

Pretty soon Mr Keisel isn’t gonna have enough hair for Head and Shoulders unless he uses it only for his beard!

25. Leefoo says:

#21……AW…….agree with the Ines/DK statement.

Milo, OH MY GOD, you just set yourself up for Karen to TAKE ADVANTAGE of you ;)

27. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good preachin’ Brother Foo. #25. A big AMEN. (Sorry for using caps, DK and Drew)

28. Karen22 says:

HAHA, Milo! Just keeping it light, like Dejan’s cool column! I COULD take the other route—been on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, where I saw, felt, and lived God’s presence in a palpable, indescribable way. But for today, “this is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball… Think about that for awhile.”

You know what this makes us ? Lollygaggers.

30. Karen22 says:

Yeah…let’s lollygag then. “I can get us a rainout…”

31. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

So, my 13 year old son suffered his first concussion. I hope he’s not out for a year and then some.

Actually he did, aparently he doesn’t know how to land on his feet after going up for the basketball, the other kid went low, he went high, landed on his head and that kid landed on his face…..he has the blackeye to prove it.

I’ve played sports all my life and never suffered one, at least that I know of.

The handling on the part of the Pens is rediculous. Somewhere in the chain is mismanaged and whoevers responsible needs to be held accountable. Wait, that’s a Pirates word…..

32. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Is it God’s will to make me lazy and selfish?

33. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Jandy-” Then you have the people who, if asked if they believe in God, would tell you they aren’t sure, but as soon as something bad/amazing/apocalyptic happens, they immediately say “Oh My God!”

I dont say “Oh My God!” I say Holy $!*^” Does that still make it religious?

34. Wallyworld says:

Don’t thank God; thank Jerry Lee !!…

35. “”"”"”"”"Regarding the Sid situation – apparently I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed because I had a lot of questions after watching the press conference two times over.

-Why did the doctor, who discovered the injury, apparently make a wrong diagnosis but yet was put in charge of Sid’s recovery? Or did he make a wrong diagnosis? Why was it initially leaked to the media as a fractured C1/C2? Is there something we are not being told?”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”

I completely agree. While I am happy that this on the surface appears to be a really really good sign. Lots of questions to be answered.

@Ryan ~ only if you believe in $!*^” ;)
    Hope your son gets over his concussion quickly and gets back to shooting hoops.

RIP Don Cornelius. I wish you love, peace and sooouuuuuuuuuuuul.

Facebook is about to go public with a valuation of somewhere north of $130 billion. The Pirates internal valuation says it’s worth no more than $850,000.

Milo, ok, so Mark Zutterburg for new Pirates’ owner and general manager!!!

Part-time Penn St. coach Bill O’Brien from the Super Bowl on National Signing Day, “When the names come in, we’ll be happy with who we have.” Oh my.

Pens sign Cal O’Reilly on re-entry waivers from Phoenix Coyotes. Hmmm….

42. Kevin says:

DK –

Great column. Couldn’t agree more with everything. That being said, I too have spent a lot of time with the hockey gods, football gods and yes, even the baseball gods (although they seem to have foresaken me).

Very nice work today…

For the rest of the crew posting today…STOP! You’re making my co-workers think I’m nuts laughing out loud.
    Best blog on the web, no doubt…thanks to all.

43. God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit

Do you think Bob Nutting would refer to them as the BMTIU?
    ——Best Management Team In Universe {or, Best Managing Trinity in Universe}

Or, would Nutting be accused of taking money from the offering plates to fund 7 Springs?

Groat, dayum, you’re on a roll!

Pirates signed Juan Cruz, minor league deal with invite to ST. Was 5-0 with Tampa last season with a 3.88 ERA and 1.32 WHIP

46. CWalton_67 says:

What I want to know is why god did not will one of the Penguins to knock Grabovsky on his a$$ last night?

47. CDK says:

You got the wrong side of Inez in that photo…..

CWalton ~ there were a few others I wanted knocked on their a$$es too!

49. LuckyNKentucky says:

Great one, Groat! (46.)

50. radio wave says:

Milo#41
    LOL
    DK, great article.
    What’s more fun, covering a Super Bowl or a Stanley Cup final?

DK: Oddly, I’ve never done a Stanley Cup final. The two recent years the Penguins made it, I was on the Pirates beat.

So, I’ll say Super Bowl!

51. CWalton_67 says:

@Jandy- agreed, Kessel would also have been a good one.

CWalton ~ Anymore Kessel is almost as big a PITA as Alfredsson UGH!

53. aglebagel says:

It is amazing what not shaving in the morning has done for the star of Brett Keisel. Saw him on SportsNation the other day as well.

54. Jordan White says:

I read and agree with several of the comments, but can I disagree here?

While I appreciated the sentiment of the God article, I found the tone of the article kind of dismissive to the athletes who thought that God cared about the outcome of their games.

I have long assumed the same conclusion as the article, and even today, if I had to choose, would agree with that assumption. However, if there is a God, and if he cares about each person, wouldn’t he by extension care about the daily ins and outs (results) of each person’s life?

I just thought the article was kind of absolute and rather flippant considering such a serious topic. Why is the DK so certain that he knows God better than Victor Cruz? DK you got a direct line? Cuz I have a couple requests if so!!

Is it just me? Am I wrong?

DK: I’m not going to argue, Jordan. You make valid points. I don’t always have to have the last word.

Jordan, just some thoughts on your post. I’m sure God cares about each and every one of us. But with wars, starving people, nuclear breakdowns, oil spills, etc, etc, etc, I doubt She thinks winning a sports competition has any high priority ;)

56. Jordan White says:

Just wanted to come back to this space and say thanks for the remarks. I appreciate the response.