Wakeup Call: Ben, this is Todd … Todd, Ben

Brief and to the Point …

>> Ben Roethlisberger told the Trib’s Mark Kaboly yesterday he has yet to hear from the Steelers’ new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley. “He still hasn’t called yet,” Roethlisberger said, strongly implying the first move should be Haley’s.

He’s absolutely right. In any sports setting, the new coach reaches out to his or her players, not the other way around. This would appear to be absurdly obvious.

What in the world is going on over there on the South Side?

Is anyone running the team?

Can’t anyone step in to introduce the two?

You know, I took some heat for my column a couple weeks ago that panned the process that led to Haley’s hiring, as well as the hire itself. And I made the case while focusing solely on his personality issues.

I left open the possibility that things could change. So far, they haven’t.

>> Did you like what A.J. Burnett had to say to reporters yesterday in Bradenton?

I sure did. He sounded genuinely excited about the change, referring once to “the joy of the game.” Nice.

>> Let me remind this morning that the Trib is all over spring training, in print and online. One stop I’ll share this morning is Rob Biertempfel’s Bucco Blog.

>> Among many reasons the Penguins will have their hands full tonight against the Rangers is New York’s power play. These guys have been working the puck down low brilliantly, tic-tac-toe stuff, easy layups.

What’s that you say, the Penguins’ net-front defense will be put to the test again?

Yep.

>> I have a really fun column set for you on Wednesday. At the least, I had fun doing it.

Comments

1. Leah Backus says:

I’m curious what you think should be done about the defense problem. There aren’t many, if any, shut-down defensemen available for acquisition. Benching Paul Martin and replacing him…with who?…is simply not a viable or even intelligent option. He has become the whipping boy for all the problems with the D, but the truth is, I have seen every single member of the Penguins defense make stupid mistakes this year at one point or another. The only reason you don’t hear about it is that guys like Letang and Orpik are fan favorites and Martin is not. And please don’t wave his cap hit at me. $5 mil a year was pretty much the going rate for a shut-down defenseman, and still is. As was pointed out in a recent article about the trade deadline (unfortunately, I forget where I read it), that particular position is very hard to develop and/or acquire and they tend to be expensive. Not to mention the fact that Michalek has been having a pretty miserable year and I don’t hear nearly as much yapping about him.

You know I’m a big fan, but I’m disappointed with your flip assessment of the D problem and your proposed solution to it.

~Leah

DK: You heard plenty about Orpik if you read that column yesterday, Leah. Didn’t exactly go easy on him.

My solution for replacing Martin is open-ended if only because I’d be fine with most anyone else right now. That could be Ben Lovejoy, who really shouldn’t have been scratched this long regardless. It could be Simon Despres, who was very promising in his time and could pay off with that higher ceiling by playoff time if he gets out there now.

But the bigger issue with benching Martin is that, as the column says, I don’t see how a whole mess of minus-4s is helping him. Sometimes, guys just need a break.

JAL’s Walk Like A Man Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Yahoo Free Agent Tracker

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Spring Training Tracker

6 Rumbunter

When Will We Stop Hearing About Wins?

Can the Pittsburgh Pirates Get Off to a Quick Start in the 2012 Season?

7 Bucs Dugout

Frank Coonelly’s Comments On The Draft Pool

8 McEffect

Spring Training – Day 2 – Running Updates

Steelers Blogs

17 Behind the Steel Curtain

Closing Arguments

Is Ben Roethlisberger a Prima Donna?

18 Steelers Depot

- Steelers Salary Cap Problems Due to Sins in Uncapped 2010 Season

19 Steelers Gab

Gilbert Going From Right to Left Tackle in 2012 Says Colbert

Pitt Blogs

20 Cardiac Hill

Quest For Winning Season Stalled As USF Beats Pitt 56-47

WVU Blogs

21 Metro News

A Spark For The Mountaineers

22 WV Illustrated

Is WVU Back on Track?

Leah, I was all for letting Martin play through his funk for a long time. At this point, it’s beyond ridiculous. He needs a change. Even demote him to WBS, I don’t care, anything to get him “unstuck”. Right now, Lovejoy would be the better option. he’s defensively sound, and now and then kicks in some offense. It’s not that I hate, Martin, I don’t, But now, it’s embarassing to just leave him in and watch him flounder.

7. JaxBuc says:

You know what makes this blog unique? Well-written, well-thought-out, postings that address a concept or idea. Then responses that discuss alternatives or reinforce points in intelligent, grammatically correct prose. No (or very rarely) personal attacks. No politics. No “yes he did,” “no, he didn’t” arguments.

However, most importantly, the focus is Pittsburgh and the teams we all love. What could be better than this? I think some of the credit goes to our friend and spiritual leader, DK. Although I wouldn’t know Leah from Jandy if I ran into either of them in Giant Eagle, I appreciate their passion and regular contributions that make my days better. Thank you all, my friends.

DK: Any good blog is driven about 90 percent by the comments portion. This one might be higher than that. Best community involvement I’ve had in terms of thought, involvement.

JaxBuc ~ I feel the same way…and thanks for the kudos =)

Seems unusual that the QB and OC have not talked yet. They should get together sooner rather than later.

I don’t know. Ben’s the one who has said so far that Haley hasn’t called him. Haley hasn’t said Ben should call him, so far as I know. I don’t think this is a big deal one way or the other in the long run, but it’s looking more and more to me that the Steelers, and that includes Mike Tomlin (not directed from above by Art) think Ben needs to be corralled a little. While the idea (from Eddie B I think) that they liked O’Brien getting in Brady’s face seemed a little strange at the time, a lot of this “strange process” stuff makes a lot more sense IF the idea is to get Ben a little more under the control of the coaching staff and not vice versa. JMO

11. @suckmeter says:

One person sucks in this Haley/Ben saga: Mike Tomlin. He’s the HEAD coach. He could have ended this stupid controversy by insisting these two get together. In reality this is not a big deal, but in perception it is. Somebody in the Steelers organization must realize this, have them talk to each other and end this discussion.

Who’s perception? Ours? Ours doesn’t matter, really. I just have a feeling this is all being done with a purpose, and not because everything has suddenly all spun out of control.

AW ~ I’m with you on the Ben/Haley thing. I really feel the powers-that-be want to get Ben “into line” with how they want things done. Art II already came out and said that Tomlin made the choice to hire him. So, since these are all GROWN MEN, it’s time Tomlin takes the issue in hand and gets them together to end the embarrassing discussion.

14. IC Heavy says:

I don’t understand what the big deal is with the Ben and Haley thing. It is still the off-season, right? I mean really the Super Bowl was just a few weeks ago and most players, unless they are hurt, aren’t anywhere near the team facilities. Doesn’t every coach at the end of the season say something about a much needed rest and time away from the facility? Does Haley even have his system approved through the organization yet? Does he really have anything to say to Ben besides “Hi, I am Todd and I will be your coach next season.”? I really think all of this stuff is blown way out of proportion. There is a good possibility that this is the way business was always done but now with all of the electronic media and social media we happen to have a better view of it and it doesn’t feet into our fantasy of the Steelers being the perfect organization in the NFL. I say let’s wait and see what happens when mini-camps and training camps start. You know the places where they start installing the offense to begin with. Additionally I am a little tired of hearing from Ben at all, has he ever walked past a microphone or tape recorder in silence?

As for Martin something has to be done and I agree with DK, it seems it would be better for him to sit a few games and regroup rather than continue to have -4 outings.

15. Captain of D11 says:

I don’t understand what has happened to Martin this year. He was decent last year, along with Michalek. This year he has been unbelievably bad. Is it possible that the Pens more defensive play in the 2nd half of the season (w/o Sid & Geno) shielded that pairing more? Hard to say, but the results this year have been unacceptable.

I’m guessing that he gets moved in the offseason, even for a bag of pucks, to a team that thinks a change of scenery may help him. That makes room for Depres to play top-4 minutes in 2012-13.

Sorry I haven’t checked in yet but I’ve been on the phone with Todd Haley all morning. Have I missed anything ?

17. radio wave says:

To Jaxbuc and
    DK and everyone else, i appreciate the opportunity to participate on this blog , even though I am not from here, and still root for many teams elsewhere.
    One of those teams is the Rangers, I am not a stats geek, but my impression from Rangers radio is up until about a week ago, the Rangers power play had been poor. I don’t know wherethey rank in the league, but the pp is getting better lately.

As a long suffering Rangers fan, didn’t expect a season like this, too good to be true, probably will end up losing in the first round or something, that’s the Rangers way.

18. TJA says:

LOL Milo! Beautiful line! Yep…things are sure changing with the local football team. Not for the better, either. That said…things are changing, too, with the local baseball team. Maybe its me, but I actually think the Pirates did “something right” here with this Burnett deal. They have a long way to go (and we’ll see how these off season moves work out…maybe good, maybe not), but I still feel that Hurdle is the man in charge over at PNC Park and has a more input than previous managers.

19. Naje says:

Stop the presses!

Poor little Big Ben has his ego bruised because the offensive coordinator won’t call him. Waaaaah.

A wonderfully trumped-up story that will continue to grow and it will mean nothing. Coaches coach. Players play.

And in some cases, during the offseason, a great majority of them don’t call each other.

@Naje

Perfectly said. Move along, there’s nothing to see here. When’s the draft ?

Bens handling would be odd if coming from a lesser franchise. Coming from the Steelers, its pretty clearly on purpose.

Bens history as a teamate and person is well documented and not something many would be proud of. For all his talk of being a changed man, there are apparently a few people in the Steelers organization who feel he could still use a serving of humility.

Good for them.

22. Corey says:

After the last couple of off seasons, when Ben was in the news for all the wrong reasons, you would think that he’d take the opportunity this year to just lay low and not cause any unnecessary disturbances. But every time he says anything, it comes off as him complaining about the way things are going. Whether it is his “fault” or Haley’s that they haven’t talked yet, Ben is coming off looking like a spoiled little kid who isn’t used to hearing the word “no”. Haley is at least giving the media the right answers the few times he’s spoken.

Saga. Controversy.

I think the whole Ben/Haley thing is blown out of proportion. They should have at least met and introduced themselves to each other. But it is the end of February.

But I can’t wait until the media reports of when they actually do meet. What do people think they are going to talk about? What Ben expects from his OC and how HE wants to run the offense?

Did Haley talk with Pouncey yet? I mean he snaps the ball on every offensive play.

24. Naje says:

@ TC….

This will be epic… 24/7 media coverage of “THE MEETING”. It will be bigger than the Camp David Peace Accords… bigger than the Reagan-Gorbachev Reykjavik summit.

This (non) story, as much as any story I’ve seen, is a fan-fueled thing that isn’t coming from the fans… it’s coming from the fan-writers and the $100M source. We’re supposed to feel sorry for him?

Good grief.

25. SeanAY says:

I’ll admit that this whole Haley/Ben thing shouldn’t be a big deal. I don’t know that it would be a terrible imposition on Haley or Roethlisberger to take 10 minutes out of your offseason to say, “Hey, just wanted to say I’m excited to get to work with you this season.”

Fact is, maybe they’re NOT excited to work with one another. That obviously wouldn’t be unprecedented, and it doesn’t mean that the offense can’t/won’t succeed.

26. LuckyNKentucky says:

I agree with DK in liking what Burnett had to say yesterday. Although I played the devil’s advocate in the pre-trade discussions, I’m glad he’s a Pirate. Just hope he isn’t as big a bum as he looked like in NY at times. I’d still like to see what Lincoln can bring to the table if he’s left to pitch in the rotation for a couple months, not just spot starts here and there. I’m sure he’ll get his chance considering the number of starters the Bucs used last year. Between starters and catchers, they must have set records for different guys used.

Heard John Clayton this morning say the Ben-Todd thing no big deal at this point in time. This what is called the “cooling off” period and the rules are that teams are not supposed to have much contact with players.

28. Naje says:

@LuckyinKY…

Concerning Lincoln and “getting his chance” to make some starts. I’d much rather he “earned his chance” to get his starts and forced the coaches’ and gm’s hands to give him the starts because he’s one of the five best starters in the organization.

He’s close, but he’s not there yet… and adding another arm puts him in the 6th or 7th spot in the rotation (injuries aside). He’ll definitely have to show them that he’s ready to earn his starts. In this situation, I think that style makes everyone better.

29. LuckyNKentucky says:

Davenport,
    Couldn’t agree with you more. (#31)

30. LuckyNKentucky says:

Naje,
    My only thing is, after Kerrigan ruined Lincoln a couple years ago and he was sent back down, he hasn’t really been given a chance to “earn his way in”. He has pitched well in AAA. Just give him some time in the rotation with Searage as his coach and let him prove himself. I know it’s kicking a dormant horse, but it’s like a company that only wants to hire experienced workers. How does a young person get experience without some OJT? Could he be worse than Correia and a couple of those other guys after the All-Star break last season?

@Lucky

Kerrigan didn’t ruin Lincoln. Look at his stats in AAA. 2009 – 4.70 ERA. 2010 – 4.12 ERA. 2011 – 4.19 ERA. In AAA ! He’s just not very good.

32. CDBrewer says:

Haven’t been in a while, but just to echo another’s thought – still love the quality of people/comments in here!

As for Ben/Haley: I agree with almost all above to some extent – it IS on purpose, it IS a slap at Ben, it ISN’T a huge deal, it WILL make us better because Ben needs it. I don’t want to get it accusations vs crimes, but think about it, what other Steeler dragged the team through the mud BIG TIME in 2 separate off-seasons. They lost control of Ben then.

Loved AJ’s comments. Was worried about that trade from prospect standpoint and that money should have gone to a 1B, but $13M over 2 years is even a bargain.

Last thing, radiowave is correct, Rangers pp was HORRIBLE until about 10 days ago. It is red hot, but had been atrocious. RW is also correct, as a Ranger fan, this season has been a complete surprise in will end up in either trading too much of a young core, mortgaging the future, or a “shocking” meltdown in the playoffs.
    As he said, The Ranger Way.

(But DK, I saw your reference to Graves Phantom Slash in ’92 in the Igloo piece. 66 came back awful quick for a break, didn’t he? Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

33. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,
    Don’t you have to get ready for your final season behind the mic.? LOL. JAL, I believe pointed out how many quality starts he had last season in AAA. You may be right, he might not be very good. How do we tell? I thought ERA wasn’t the only stat to follow, especially in AAA where they’re “working on things”.
    Look, I don’t know the guy, but I know he comes from a good family, has good makeup and has been a winner. He just needs a chance, which I’m sure will come.

I know that I am a bit sports centric, but I found it odd that the author of JAL’s USA Today post (5-11) did not include the extraordinary PNC Park in his list of what makes Pittsburgh “grand.” He curiously opted to include “reality tv” over the lovely ballpark. I guess he believed that the Forbes Field Wall was sufficient sports representation. Nice he included Kennywood Park though. I enjoyed Adventureland except for its premise that satisfaction and happiness can only be achieved in NYC. It did star the lovely Kristen Stewart and Kelsey Ford. Sigh.

35. CWalton_67 says:

Agree with Naje’s assessment above about Ben/Haley. Non story.
    I am traveling today, anyone hearing anything about why Thiessen has been called up?

Also agree with both of Jandy’s and Leah’s thoughts about Martin. He has not been solely responsible for Pens weak defense. They lack commitment in the defensive zone, forwards included. That said, he’s been terrible and getting worse. His confidence level has to be at an all time low.

19.Milo Hamilton

Nah…not unless you missed with whatever you last tossed at DK ;)

(priceless!) LOL

CWalton~Johnson isn’t at practice. Maybe he’s sick or….YIKES!

38. Sarcastic Sword says:

If on the eve of training camp it becomes common knowledge that Haley and the QB havent yet spoken, then its ok to make a big deal of it….

Would it have been nice for Haley to offer a handshake and tell Ben hes excited to work with him? Yes…but its been two weeks…..Roethlisberger needs to just man up and roll with the punches. And the media is playing this up….If this blog wasnt bringing this up on a weekly basis, no one here would even be mentioning it.

Mountain out of a molehill……………..

39. CDBrewer says:

@SS

I think the Haley/Ben thing is more than just the weekly report for a couple reasons:
    1.) Ben wanted Arians back
    2.) The Arians situation was handled bizarrely, especially for the Steelers
    3.) The Haley hire was kinda out of character for the Steelers

I agree it isn’t huge, but the whole situation has left one eyebrow up – since tomlin’s comments right after the Denver game to the effect that Arians would be back.

Because Haley has a rep of being hard to work with, I think it merits the notice. It isn’t knocking the Pens off the headlines. And you’re right, it isn’t gonna topple the franchise.

Is the Steeler FO morphing into the NFL version of the BMTIB?

41. CDBrewer says:

@Biz

I think this might workout for the Steelers, and that isn’t Pollyanna speaking. I think that Ben may need a little push. I think this could be VERY good. Ben is uber-talented.

Could be CD

As others have noted though, you just don’t usually see this type of stuff from the Steelers

43. Sarcastic Sword says:

@CDBrewer…I would rather discuss the merits of whether or nor Mike Wallace should be given the franchise tag or something similar than something that reminds me of the 8th grade playground..

44. Kevin says:

Jandy,

I believe we may have seen the last of Johnson…Thiessen up, Johnson given a time out for today. Has anyone seen Ty Conklin in the building?

Re: AJ’s comments – Loved them. I was quietly in favor of this deal the entire time (of course, I can say that now eh?) and his “joy of the game” comment sealed the deal for me.

And like most of the other folks regarding Ben/Todd, I will use DK’s term…RELAX. It will get done.

45. CDBrewer says:

SS- Gotcha…fine with that…yep. But I do think the Ben thing is going to get a little worse before it gets better (and I mean personality conflict). Think of this as foreshadowing…but I also think with a positive outcome.

As for Wallace…we franchise him and then work out the longer term solution. It buys us some time. But Ward has to just walk away. And Farrior. It is time.

Something to remember with Ray Shero. Many times in the past he makes his “deadline” splash well before the actual deadline itself.

47. Sarcastic Sword says:

@CD…..You are right in that this Ben/Haley thing could get worse the longer Haley stays away because its obviously important to the QB…..He needs to just grow up – do his job that hes being paid handsomely for and just accept that Uncle Brucie isnt coming back….

If the QB truly wanted to diffuse this situation, anytime hes asked by a media member if Haley reached out to him, all he has to say is the following, ” NO, but hes been busy moviing his family here, installing a system along with getting ready for the draft – Im sure in due time, we will touch base.”

48. tk says:

Brent Johnson isn’t going anywhere. He’s out due to sickness according to the Pens report.

“Brent Johnson is not feeling well,” Bylsma said. “We called up Brad Thiessen to backup tonight. It will be on a short-term basis.” per Dan Bylsma at practice.
    Verrry interesting….

50. CDBrewer says:

@SS -

Sorry, was out a bit…You nailed it on Ben. Couldn’t agree more.
    “Uncle Brucie” (LOL) coddled him a bit. Honestly, I think Ben will appreciate getting pushed in 2 years when he has exploded back into Top 5 qb conversation, but it may get bumpy between.

I am stil laughing that we said we wanted ground game and hired Haley. Anybody else just amused by that?

Cole (12) and Taillon (15) in top 20 0f Baseball America’s Top 100 Prospects 2012.

Also, Neil Walker is going to be on MLB XM’ s Power Alley.

52. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

I’ve never been a fan of the way Bylsma platoons the defense. His approach emphasizes high-pressure at the blueline in attempt to quickly neutralize the attack and start the rush the other way. In other words, the defense’s purpose is to jump-start the offense. It’s an important distinction: this defense is not designed to shut down the opposition. When teams can get in behind the Pens defense, that distinction becomes readily apparent: scrambling to pick up coverage, poor slot management, and a heavy reliance on solid goaltending. Combine this with a seemingly endless “green light” for the defense to join the attack (even while the Pens are ahead), and the Pens weaknesses are exposed often.

It’s difficult for me to find too much fault with individual defensemen because of this. When is the last time you remember the Pens frustrating a team defensively (and not due to a heroic effort from the goaltender)?

53. Kevin says:

@tk – I don’t think Johnson is going anywhere either, for the short term. Just something Jandy picked up on yesterday and we kinda put 1 and 1 together to get 3!

@ kevivn, thanks for the assist ;)

55. PetroSteel says:

I will never question anything that the Steelers (or the Rooneys) do and why they do it. It is quite clear to me that they brought a coach like this in for a very good reason. And that was to address a situation that needed to be addressed. i dont expect any of us to know what the reason was but my speculation is that our QB thought he was bigger than the team and nobody on the staff was able to handle him. Ben is a great QB. But, he may not have the smarts to run the entire offensive strategy. Thats not entirely a slam on him. Not many can do it.

The situation has been addressed. The team will be better for it.

Again, how could we ever question anything that the Steelers do t(the Rooneys) do???

The Bucs are making a very good effort. I like the plan and I like the direction. I actually think they finally have their act together. I like the trade. It was worth taking a chance on Burnett. I think they can compete for this division title. But, they need the young guys to take it to the next level. Their is no reason to think that they wont.

56. pattonbb says:

My opinion, for what it’s worth…

1. Dave Kerwin did screw up Lincoln’s delivery.

2. Burnett could pay big dividends. If he starts the season off hot, he could net a quality bat by the deadline. If he remains a Pirate, he’ll eat close to 200 innings (if Clint lets him). The AVERAGE salary of a starting pitcher is $5M. That’s about what he’s being paid for, to be average. Anything above that is a plus. Anybody who thinks he’s going to pitch like Greg Maddux is mistaken.

3. Most people would assume when a new OC is named, he might feel obligated to grab a phone and say “hello” to the franchise qb. I think “we” want that to happen more than anyone directly involved. It’s no big deal. Most coaches and their players aren’t bff’s. Most don’t have a father-son relationship. Ben probably has his panties in a wad because nobody called to get his permission to hire Haley.

57. CDBrewer says:

@Petro,

Spot on about the Rooney’s. I used to worry about lb’s we were cutting…then I learned…that really is the best run franchise in pro sports. They are a joy to root for.

Also agree with you and patton on Bucs…

Is Kerrigan still in baseball?

He’s messed up more deliveries than Pizza Hut.

I’m here all week, folks.

DK: Wow! (Applause)

59. LuckyNKentucky says:

Patton,
    Thanks for the Dave Kerwin comment. I had forgotten what Kendall called Kerrigan. Knew it was Dave “something”. Some had other names for him, not to be used on a mixed blog. It took Lincoln back to the minors–his tinkering.

Tangradi recalled as well. That’s even more odd than Thiessen being recalled.

61. Kevin says:

How ’bout Johnson and Martin for Nash??? Or do we not want to get that one started again?

More ridiculous trade:
    -Dubinsky and del Zotto for Nash
    -Martin and Johnson for Nash

One of these might happen.

Kevin, stranger things have happened.

NRm ~ The Rags have a better chance of pulling it off than the Pens do!

NMR ~ can we trade Martin & Johnson for Mason instead? ;)

65. tk says:

How about Paul Martin for a bag of Pucks?

Tangradi is here so that the team who is considering dealing for him can scout him in an NHL game. That’s probably wishful thinking on my part. And…

@NMR

Neither of those will happen.

Tantalizing tease from Dejan regarding tomorrow’s column. Has he moved on from talking with the Igloo to morning coffee klatsch with the Senator Robert D. Fleming Bridge?

DK: Nah. Didn’t mean to tantalize. It’s just that it was a lot of fun. And it’s based on a REAL conversation.

We need the NHL’s equivalent of Dave Littlefield to take Paul Martin off our hands, ridiculous salary and all. Brian Burke maybe ?

Milo-Good ole Dave was one of kind. I don’t think there is a similar species in any other ecosystem.

70. tk says:

@ Milo

I don’t think that’s wishful thinking, I think the Pens are showcasing Tangradi.