Final: Penguins 5, Avalanche 1

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (37-21-5) vs. Colorado Avalanche (33-28-4)

Time: 9:08 p.m.

Site: Pepsi Center, Denver

TV, radio: Root Sports, 105.9 The X

Here is the official live summary.

Updates are on our Penguins page. Josh Yohe sees nine Steelers at the line of scrimmage.

Comments

1. Poz says:

It’s well before they drop the puck, Dejan, so I hope you don’t mind an off topic note. Loved your “Steelers must keep cuts coming” article. It was spot on, and the Steelers did indeed continue, Making those tough decisions are the only way to avoid long periods of rebuilding.

Another reason I recognize your article is because it is consistent with the manner in which you approach your profession, You consistently provide your honest assessment even when it might not be popular. I appreciate it, and respect you for it.

You remind me of one of my bosses that I really admired. He used to say “Tell them what they need to hear. Not what they want to hear.”

Thanks for your fine work.

Let’s go Pens!

DK: I really appreciate that, Poz. People, including yourself and most everyone here, are going to disagree on occasion. That’s eminently fine. But I hope that the body of work takes a consistent approach to forming a position. (If that makes any sense.)

2. Nate says:

I’ll be at the game!

3. scapper says:

Um…about what Poz wrote…uh…ditto.

Sorry for being so ineloquent, but really appreciate Dejan’s practicing true journalism in this age of irresponsible blogging. (Of which I am guilty myself under a pseudonym.)

DK: HEY! I do irresponsible blogging five days a week right here!

4. Nate says:

Pens looked great and Flower was outstanding. Avs had a really hard time capitalizing on any of their early chances. Malkin/Kunitz/Neal need to shore up their defensive zone play before the playoffs, but I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Gotta love the goal by Park, coming out of the box… all the Pens fans jumped to their feet as Park had the breakaway. A wonderful moment.

DK: Not to rain on this, Nate, but did the Avs look as thoroughly disinterested in person as on TV?

5. grandpagreg says:

Is there any Penguin who has more scoring chances than Pascal Dupuis in the last 10 games or so? If he had a sniper’s eye, he would lead the league in scoring. Almost all of his opportunities are a result of hard work which you didn’t see much of from the Avalanche last night.
    I loved Michalek’s feistiness despite the resulting penalty which he shouldn’t have taken with a 4-0 lead.
    I believe Martin’s effectiveness is in direct proportion to his playing time. He seems to play better when Letang is out. He was +3 last night and only second to Orpik in TOI.
    Landeskog is a monster! I’d hate to face him more than a couple of times a year.

6. Nate says:

DK: The Avs came out with some good pressure, but couldn’t convert any of their chances. Some of their pressure was magnified by a couple defensive miscues by Malkin’s line. After the first 10-15 minutes, yes, the Avs looked pretty disinterested. The crowd wasn’t into it at all, in fact you could hear more pro-Pens chants and yells, than Avs stuff.

The Avs didn’t look sharp in terms of passing and execution, and aside from a few hits and scuffles, they went down without a fight. One player I was really impressed with was Paul Martin – for all the negative press and comments about him, he looked sharp in person. The pokechecking and stick work of the Pens defensemen really shined. That defensive group is one sorely under-appreciated bunch.