Wakeup Call: What’s next for Dukes?

Brief and to the Point …

>> My Friday column, aimed entirely at generating additional street-level newspaper sales and cheap online page views, is about Duquesne basketball.

I get a lot of the eye-roll responses from readers when I take topics like these, and even something Pitt-related. I understand that, but part of covering Pittsburgh sports is to, you know, cover Pittsburgh sports. That’s not just the three big teams.

Hope you give it a chance. And I’d love to hear from anyone who’s seen a game at Palumbo, describing what you liked or disliked about the experience.

Everhart

. Ron Everhart

>> Looking for a glimpse of Duquesne’s future?

The people inside the program sound genuinely excited about the two players already signed toward next season’s class. This was the official press release on 6-9 forward Donovon Jack and 6-3 guard Willie Moore.

Ron Everhart sees them fitting immediately with what the Dukes do, which is run all night, pressure all night. Jack, despite his height, has good speed and great natural endurance, Everhart said, the result of playing soccer. Moore was ranked the No. 1 wing guard in Ohio, and Everhart called him a perfect complement to T.J. McConnell.

“Willie’s a really good passer. He passes like T.J. does,” Everhart said. “I could see these two making all kinds of plays for us, no question about it.”

Of Jack, who Everhart expects will be Pennsylvania’s Class AAA player of the year at Reading, recently set a state record of 42 consecutive field goals made. That came over a six-game span.

“It’s not just the’s 6-9. He’s a  lefty who can run and jump and bounce. He can really play.”

“I would never say J.J. Barea wasn’t the best guy I ever signed or coached,” Everhart said, referring to the guard he coached at Northeastern and is now with the NBA’s Timberwolves. “But D.J. and T.J. could muddy the waters there. That’s how strongly I feel.”

This is Duquesne’s official page.

>> The Florida Panthers should skate out of the tunnel in a really bad mood tonight. They haven’t made the playoffs since 2000, they’re trying to finally achieve that for players like Stephen Weiss who have zero career postseason games, and they’ve …. well, just check out their site’s splash page. But they’ve lost three of four now and did next to nothing last night in Philadelphia.

This could be a better game than you might think.

>> Mel Kiper, who works TWO DAYS ALL YEAR, thinks the Steelers will go with the middle linebacker, Alabama’s Dont’a Hightower. All in favor on this end. Great place to add impact talent.

>> Here’s the chat transcript from yesterday. I’ll be doing all kinds of pucks this weekend, then it’s off to Bradenton on Tuesday for 10 days of ball.

Comments

I’m glad you strayed from the big three sports news generators to write a very good column about Duquesne. Although, personally, I would find it very difficult to write publicly about my own alma mater. So much emotion and memory associated with a place many of us spent some of the best years of our lives. The temptation to go overboard with criticism in the name of objectivity or, conversely, to paint a rosy picture in deference to sentimentality., would be difficult to balance. You did not fall into either trap. The column is well done.

DK: Hm, how shall I put this … let’s just say I hated pretty much every minute of college, John, and I’ve never, ever understood why people have such deep affinities for these institutions. Not talking about Duquesne. Just college in general.

I hooked up with the other paper in town during my freshman year at Duquesne and, to be honest, never needed to go back. I did for a while, and that was that. Still 11 credits shy of a degree all these years later, and couldn’t care less. I went to college solely to get into newspapers.

Maybe that sheds a little light on why you’ll never see me get all gooey on the topic. Duquesne is another of the local schools/teams I cover, and nothing more.

That said, I’m very glad you liked the piece.

No shedding of the light is necessary. I appreciate your shrewd objectivity and your willingness to engage your readers with your work.

3. PigLegs Robinson says:

I still don’t understand why the Pirates want to play Starling Marte in center and left.
    The most unproductive outfielder the past year has been Jose Tabata in right field.

Alex Presley in left field has made only one error in 65 games and hits like crazy. He also runs like crazy and makes things happen while hitting in the leadoff spot. He’s been a huge thorn in the side of opposing pitchers for as long as he’s played in the majors.
    Then you have McCutchen in center. Nothing more to say there, he is not losing that job anytime within the next 7 years.

If Marte is going to take somebody’s job away, Tabata is the person who should be looking over his shoulder. And Marte should be playing right field in triple a to learn the position.

JAL’s How Many More Times? / Just Like Everyone Else Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Yahoo Free Agent Tracker

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Spring Training Tracker

5 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates Spring Training Broadcast Schedule

7 Rumbunter

Pirates Lose 5-4 On Walk-Off Home Run

8 Bucs Dugout

Starling Marte’s Hit Streak Ends As Pirates Lose To Phillies

Pirates Mexican Signees: One 1B, One LHP, One RHP

9 WhyGAVS

Starling Marte is on fire (and the long term implications)

10 Raise the Jolly Roger

Phillies 5, Pirates 4

6. scapper says:

Your response to the first post might be my new favorite piece of your writing. Amen, brother! In gratitude, I pledge to dutifully read all future soccer columns.

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES

11 Philadelphia Inquirer

Phils top Pirates

12 Hickory Daily Record

Harvey still hopes for spot in big leagues

13 Bradenton Times

Baseball Basics for Women at McKechnie Field March 29th

14 The Bellingham Herald

Nobody asked me, but …

Title song How Many More Times? / Just Like Everyone Else by Field Music, 2011. English band formed in 2004. Just released their 4th album

9. chuck snow says:

Love the Mel Kiper bit. He is one of those sportscasters that I just shake my head when he is on. I am always amused on draft day how he gets irritated when the draft doesn’t go the way he picked it.

The Pens have a habit of “letting down” when they play a team that is supposed to be “inferior”. This irritates me to no end. The had best be sharp against the Panthers tonight or they will get bitten in the butt.
    Since Thiessen started against Toronto, I’ll assume MAF will be in goal, which will be a good thing.

DK, I don’t know a lot about basketball, but I am eating up your every word. And with posters like Lucky and Oshkosh adding to the humor, I’m loving it.
    That’s not to leave out ALL of the posters and their contributions. This blog is extra special.

11. scapper says:

Remember…a Pens loss hurts the Capitals. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

12. bdubb says:

DK, in your response to Oshkosh, we have deep affinities for the school we went to b/c we went to 18 basketball games a year. We went to 7 football games a year. Every year. For 4 years (me more). It is fun to have a D1 school as your school. I never hear my Mercyhust buddies brag about anything they accomplish. And there is always bragging rights. When I see Pitt Scientists and Chemists come up with something great I give it to my Penn St buddies. As a matter of fact I root harder for Pitt than I do the Steelers or Pens or Pirates. There is a connection there. I don’t have a connection to pro sport teams other than living in the city.

scapper, then you know, I won’t mind as much if we DO lose ;)

14. scapper says:

Exactly. Tonight is the rare win-win situation.

15. LuckyNKentucky says:

Nice column. I haven’t followed the Dukes much since the Oscar Jackson days, which is pre-Nixon, both Norm and Richard, and pre-70′s I believe, but this column at least makes me want to check their scores. Good piece.

16. jackdeloplane says:

ugh, another 75 degree day here today! Oh the misery!

(ha, sorry Jandy!)

@ Jack ~ yup, you’re sorry looking…errr I mean…you sure do look sorry ;)

We will only have a high of 39 here today, so that 75 you’re lamenting over would be great…please send it up!

Interesting DK because I had a very positive experience at Duquesne and I was there around the same time you were. Played on the tennis team and that was great fun because of two individuals that became my big brothers and are still my friends today -Len Komoroski and Mike Levy, both of which whom I bet you know. I met my wife my sophomore year and even as a commuter, I attended just about every Duquesne home basketball game (home was just a few miles away).

I’ve followed the program since and my son played in high school with Jason Duty, so he became a fan, and now another friend of his is Everhart’s administrative assistant so we’ve stayed connected. My wife and I still love going to Duquesne basketball games and love the atmosphere in Palumbo. We sit right behind Duquesne’s bench and can hear most everything on that side of the floor. Wish more students would go though. There’s really nothing about the experience I dislike, but I don’t think I’ve disliked anything about any sporting event I’ve ever gone to except for loud music.

DK: To each his own, right? Glad you had a great time.

19. DK,

Enjoyed the Duquesne piece——glad we didn’t have to go to the mattresses.

However, ya know how when you go into Mixon’s and they give you that little cup of orange juice for free . . . . . and you end up leaving with a gallon of the stuff? Your column left me wanting more after I read it.

Thanks for sharing the “gallon” above on the blog about the recruits and J.J. Berea and TJ McConnell and Ron Everhardt. It completed your column and I’m leaving now satisfied with a jug of OJ under my arm.

Also, thanks for sharing the good news that the pregnancy is almost over concerning this web site. The last month always seems to go on forever and ever.

DK: Seriously, Groat, that’s amazing. That’s exactly how I felt upon completing the column, which is why I threw in this extra stuff. How very astute of you to pick up on that!

“You’ll never see me get all gooey on the topic”

So Dejan.

What WILL you get all gooey about?

Do I even wanna know?

DK: Oh, what have I done by handing Drew a new word?

21. Naje says:

@DK–

My Palumbo memory…? 6-10-88… Depeche Mode concert at the Palumbo…you were there, too… LOTS to like about that show. Made for a great birthday venture.

DK: YES! Best Duquesne experience ever.

@Drew

Winnipeg.

23. Kenerdivanis says:

@Milo

What is there to do in Winnipeg, anyway? Other than go to Jets games, that is?

@Ken

As long as there’s a Starbucks, DK’s happy.

25. @suckmeter says:

Only read the column because you wrote it. Won’t say it sucked but I just have zero interest in Duquesne basketball. I’ll just say I got through it. Looking forward to your soccer column!

26. PetroSteel says:

Drew71

How is Pirates City? Wish I could make it there this year but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

Give us your report: Who is looking good? Who doesnt? What about Pedro? How is Burnett? etc.

Thanks Buddy!

27. LuckyNKentucky says:

Can’t put a meter on that soccer column, SM. None go high enough. Just give us fair warning, please, DK.

The one and only time I’ve been at the Polumbo was a Christian concert several years ago with Audio Adrenaline and D.C. Talk and some others. It was a good venue for that. Packed to the gills.

Have to agree with DK’s stroll down college memory lane. The only thing I got out of college was debt and my wife of now almost 40 years, but she was my roommate’s cousin, so that was a fortunate blessing in itself. (I was LuckyNOhio then).

28. Kenerdivanis says:

I once saw George Carlin at Palumbo and have been there for various and sundry sporting events – WPIAL hoops Championships and wrestling classics among them. Honestly, I think the place is a dump.

“The only thing I got out of college was debt and my wife of now almost 40 years…”

^made my day.

30. Absolute59 says:

Saw Jerry Seinfeld and Counting Crows at Palumbo

31. LuckyNKentucky says:

NMR,
    I did get one other thing from secondary ed. Like Ken, we saw George Carlin at Youngstown State in the very early 70′s. He opened for the Grassroots, an old bubble-gummish band from the 60′s that we liked. His routine centered around the “S” word, (not “sports”) and the college-kids laden audience loved every minute of it. When the Grassroots came on their lead singer said, “How do you follow an act of “S”?” Of course, someone yelled out “With you guys”. Needless to say they got more boos than Terrell Suggs at Heinz field. Otherwise, I went to college and took up space. (Not the outer kind).

Petro – the major league camp for Pirate City is over…moved to Grapefruit League and McKechnie…but minors will stay at PC for awhile.

I went to two PC practices. VERY VERY crisp. Seriously. Last year, more coaching intros and joviality and Hurdle Hurdle Hurdle. This year it was the crispest, most organized set of practices I’ve seen under our two recent managers. Hurdle was everywhere but quiet and focused. Some players jogged between fields for different exercises. (Not just me noticing…other observers including one beat writer.)

Burnett was the man in so many ways. On his first day throwing live BP…
    1) In his warmup BP session, he made catcher’s glove pop
    2) In live BP, all the players and coaches on that field, i mean all, stopped their practice swings, talking, joking etc to Watch Him Pitch. As they did to no other player
    3) Next time i was there, in a BP practice session with Give Us Barabbas (who he knows and played with in Toronto I think), the two were INTENSELY working on keeping his ball down. Really working in a way – and with intensity and communication – you don’t really see that early in spring.

Really, the Pirate City portion is just practice. SO hard to tell anything before games start. But Jones had a great battle with Moskos…a tough lefty…in which Moskos handcuffed him early, but then Jones got to him late. Really, credit to both.

Remember last season when so many showed up out of shape (Pedro, Owens)? Not THIS year. Pedro and Owens looked better, as did Moskos and Meek and one more I’m forgetting.

But remember, it is still practice. The two positive themes (to me): In better shape and a very crisp set of practices. Everything else…no way to tell if it will translate to games until they play in anger.

I haven’t yet attended a McKechnie game…first tomorrow. And Grapefruit games are barely angry.

DK: Good stuff, Drew. Goeey, even.

33. wally says:

Never understood the waxing nostalgic for college days. What was so great about being broke, living in a tenement and putting up with jerk (off) professors.

34. Kenerdivanis says:

@wally

I second that emotion. I don’t miss college at all. I don’t miss the sleep-inducing lectures, the endless papers, the readings that made me fall asleep, not having any money or having to stand around a keg in a smelly basement just so I could have a cheap beer.

Milo and others, let’s make a list.

Gooey:
    - Winnipeg, Pittsburgh but only if you live downtown (ONLY), chai tea latte and iced coffee and other inhumane drinks, family (i had to get, well, gooey about something)

Not Gooey:
    - Duquesne, college experience, asking him a question he already answered in yesterday’s chat (though he will thoughtfully provide a link…rather than, you know, answering), and (of course) a certain Charity Sign

What did i miss?

36. LuckyNKentucky says:

Drew,
    Not gooey: Asking for autographs. Otherwise, great list.

To quote the great Denis Leary, I like coffee flavored coffee.

Gooey – Breaking Bad.

Keep it rolling guys.

I’m sure Dejan will turn this into a column.

I’m just sure of it.

40. LuckyNKentucky says:

Not gooey: Muncie law enforcement

Absolute,

Ditto on Jerry Seinfeld.

Gooey: way Derrick Lee plays baseball

Not Gooey Bradenton Wal Marts

Not Gooey: Beach

Gooey: 1:00 a.m.

45. LuckyNKentucky says:

Not Gooey: James Neal shoots low (or is that gooey?)

Gooey: Snow (or living in an area with four seasons); Gary Numan

Not Gooey: Huey Lewis & the News

Not Gooey: Having the flu for days on end

Gooey: A new Mario Statue

48. LuckyNKentucky says:

Not gooey: When he wakes up and sees this list

you guys are killing me lol

Gooey: Consol Energy Center

Not Gooey: Wells Fargo Center

Don’t worry Lucky.

We have at least three hours.

Maybe four.

Gooey: Laying on a lounge chair sipping a drink (preferrably Starbucks or a Martini)

Not Gooey: The long flight to get there…

Gooey: hockey “writers” from Calgary

Not Gooey: people who call him Dayjohn

54. LuckyNKentucky says:

A robust LOL, Drew!

Gooey: DC Comics

Not Gooey: NBA

Gooey: Jack and Freddy.

Not Gooey: Neal

21…your gooey? like like like

Not so sure about Neal anymore. Not after his last interview and column.
    It’s complicated.

NMR – I found out from a former PG writer that his nickname is “Day-John”

So if you say it wrong, as most do, it’s Day-John.

And if you know him, i mean really really know him, it’s Day-John

So what’s the point of saying it RIGHT?????

gooey Jeff Karstens

not gooey Roy Halladay

Gooey: Dwight Schrute

Not Gooey: Told he LOOKS like Dwight Schrute

61. LuckyNKentucky says:

The point is “Is it mustard or is it Leut. Dan?”

62. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Drew- Aren’t you the one that did an excellant count down fo the “super 2″ status of players and when the best date would be to pull up these young guys?

If so, what would be the ideal timeframe for Marte?

I see him as a September call up, unless Presley struggles.

63. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good one, JAL

Gooey: Nate and Charlie

64. JD says:

Not gooey – espn and national coverage of the Pirates.

65. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I believe the Pirates are 1 of a handful of teams that “Baseball Tonight” will NOT visit while on their ST tour…….I hate those guys.

66. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

By handful I mean……..4

67. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Has anybody else had the blog message: “your posting too quickly, slow down”

Thats funny right there..my wife says that all the time

68. PetroSteel says:

Drew71

Thanks for the update from Bradenton! Let’s hope that early optimism will finally turn into good results!

The Burnett injury, is a killer on soo many fronts. Let’s hope he showed enough of “what it takes” for the others to see.

69. PetroSteel says:

BTW: Let’s not forget that Spring Training results (Marte), often mean nothing. The guy is not ready yet. He needs at least a year and maybe more. If all 3 starters pan out, and Marte is the stud that we hope he will be, than we have a real nice problem!!! Somebody get’s traded for a Tim Alderson.

Did I just say Tim Alderson??? Oh hell, it’s just been a long 19 years, hasnt it?

Let’s hope for the best…I think maybe we can break this damn streak this year.

Go Bucs!

Ryan ~ yes I’ve gotten the slow down message, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why, I’m slow ;)

71. LuckyNKentucky says:

J.,
    I love a lady with a sense of humor!

Gooey: Tim Tebow

Not Gooey: Peyton Manning

@ Lucky, hey I just try my best to keep up with you guys…chokin on the dust here ;)

74. Kevin says:

Gooey: The Igloo

75. Kevin says:

@Jandy –

Keeping up with this crew is NOT easy

Kevin, you got that right!

Ryan – not me re Super 2s

Off the topic(s) here, but haven’t seen CWalton post in a while…

79. Kevin says:

@Ryan

If it’s not the Red Sox or Yankees, forget about it on ESPN. MLBNetwork is where its at…sometimes.

Lucky – mustard…i love it.

Reminds me of that classic commercial. Two Rolls Royces roll up to each other. Rear windows drop.

First stuffy guy in one car: “Pardon me; do you have any Kovacevic?”

Another stuffy guy in other car: “But of course”

81. Kenerdivanis says:

@JD

I wasn’t aware ESPN had any kind of coverage of the Pirates. I must have fallen asleep during the endless NBA highlights on SportsCenter.

82. LuckyNKentucky says:

Drew, that’s priceless. What a howl!

Kentucky’s playing right now and, without ya ‘all (you uns), I’d be asleep. The streets are deserted and the stores might as well close. Believe me, I say this from my heart,

“Wildcats? We don’t need no stinkin’ Wildcats!”

Gooey: Hines Ward

Not gooey: Andrew Fillipponi

I’m not even sure Andrew Fillipponi gets gooey over Andrew Fillipponi. Andrew Fullabaloney more like it.

Dejan must be working on his Gooey column.

Somebody go poke the bear.

Or have we already done that today?

86. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,
    That’s my favorite aunt’s maiden name. They called her nephew “Fullabaloney” over 45 years ago. You’re right on the beam.

87. Naje says:

Not Gooey: locals’ obsession with national media coverage of local teams.

88. Kenerdivanis says:

@Milo

That’s a good one about Fillipponi! He’s terrible!

89. JD says:

@ Kenerdivanis, During the Pirates brief flirtation with respectability and relevance last summer, espn and a few other national outlets started running stories on the Bucs. DK did not approve.

90. LuckyNKentucky says:

You’d think after nearly 30 years in the business DK would know not to use a word like “gooey”. What did it get him but a “list”?

Right, Lucky.

Who’s idea was it anyway? Not gooey.

92. LuckyNKentucky says:

A good idea, too, as long as he doesn’t relapse into another bout with the flu.

Homerun for Donnie Kelly.

I’ve heard of that.

The Goo Flu

Drew,

I was going to say:

Gooey: DK’s afternoon nap.

96. JD says:

Shoo, shoo, goo flu.

Pokin the bear, home runs, and gooey stuff, what more can one ask for on a Friday afternoon? Indeed!

98. diehard says:

DK-
    Like, and appreciate, the Duquesne piece very much. My affinity for the school comes pretty honestly – I was the third generation to go there after my dad and his dad.
    I remember going to some games in the 70′s with my dad (BB Flannery?), but I was attending most of the games at Palumbo in 1991-94 (played bass in the band), and had the opportunity to watch Derrick Alston up close. I remember before he figured out he could control what he could do with a block, he would swat the ball about 10 rows deep. It would be great to see a big man like him (or even Shawn James) around again.
    Best memory – Duquesne 75 Charlotte 73, NIT first round 1993

So.

104 posts.

6 of em about sports.

100. LuckyNKentucky says:

Isn’t pokin’ the bear a sport?

Maybe Lucky, but i think he’s winning.

Cause with that breakdown of posts, I think it’s safe to say that Dejan’s not napping.

He’s punishing us.

Cause we’re bad.

102. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Kinda hard to talk sports when DK writes about Duquense…..ha ha

103. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good one, Ryan. And gooey things. (Better Duquesne than the sport we don’t speak of).

104. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

futbol’?

105. LuckyNKentucky says:

That would be the one. No offense to JAL and those who are followers. I’d rather read a column on the Duquesne versus Robert Morris city noodling championship than that.

106. scapper says:

Way to go, people. Verrrrrry funny. You know how DK is going to exact revenge? TWO soccer columns. Thanks a lot, everyone.

107. LuckyNKentucky says:

Oh, great.

108. Kenerdivanis says:

@Lucky

I’m with you. “Futbol” bores me to tears.

Gooey – Living Downtown

Not Gooey- The Pirate Charity Sign and the development of shortstops by the Pirates.

110. Kenerdivanis says:

Gooey – Not Living Downtown (let’s hear it for the Burbs)

Not Gooey – Alex Ovechkin

111. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Good call TC on the SS

112. radio wave says:

Not gooey, 112 posts so far today.
    I have no connection to DU, I’m an Ohio U grad, and our former coach Danny Nee was awful for the Dukes.
    I just hope they continue to improve, and make the City game really meaningful.
    A couple of weeks ago, when my NY Rangers came to town and lost to the Pens, I said this season wasn’t real, that in the Rangers way, they would mess it up.
    Looks like the choke has begun, what is it, a difference of 6 points in the standings, I’m worried now.

Dick Van Dyke has gotten married at age 86. He married a 40 year old make up artist on leap day. Now that, my friends, is gooey.

114. JD says:

Gooey – Dick Van Dyke’s shorts.

Oh, and left out the Futbol links this morning

Soccer(football)