Pirates cut Marte, four others

BRADENTON, Fla. — The Pirates this morning optioned outfielder Starling Marte, who had been the star of camp, as well as outfielder fielder Gorkys Hernandez and pitchers Kyle McPherson, Bryan Morris and Justin Wilson to Class AAA Indianapolis.

Marte, 23, batted .529 with two home runs and played mostly well on defense. But he never has played above Class AA, and management had stated all along he would return to the minors. The team wants to see more patience at the plate — he led the Eastern League with a .332 batting average but his on-base percentage was .370 — in large part to develop his power.

The camp roster is at 43.

Comments

1. PhillyJake says:

Tabata, OTOH, has trouble staying healthy.

2. Leefoo says:

Dejan………I loved your ‘fundamental’ article. Great job!!

DK: Thanks, Foo.

3. Leefoo says:

PhillyJake……..great problem to have.

4. PhillyJake says:

Indeed, Mr. Foo. Indeed.

5. likeabugonarug says:

DK – on your fundamental article, I’m curious as to whether it takes other factors into effect? For instance, on going from 1st to 3rd on a single, does that mean the runner had the opportunity to do it? Or just that the runner was on first when a single occurred? What I’m getting at is that statistic could be misleading if there was also a runner on 2nd at the time who stopped at 3rd, which would make it impossible for the runner on 1st to go to 3rd. Thanks.

Kevin

DK: Yes, Kevin, they’re based on legit opportunities. Could have made that clearer.

Agreed, Foo. Excellent.

DK,
    During yesterday’s game both Greg Brown and John Wehner found it very odd – and surprising – that Jose Tabata came into the game in the middle of the game. Starters don’t usually come into ST games as a replacement.

Did you notice that and did you happen to ask Clint why that happened? Is there nothing to it, or was a message being sent.

DK: You’d have to ask the announcers why they found that extraordinary. I didn’t.

Presley, for example, wasn’t taking proper leads off base and had to be taught anew in Pittsburgh last summer.
    —————————————————————————————————-
    Unbelievable. It this a case of things are done to the liking of the new manager and coaching staff, or is this a case of the minor league coaching failing…or the player not getting it?

DK: Either way, it’s the responsibility of development to hammer it home.

9. Sec.143RowMSeat24 says:

TC, how do we know he wasn’t taught the correct way to take a proper lead and just for whatever reason not doing it. If a player fails to do something there’s no guarantee he wasn’t shown the correct way of doing it.

10. piratemike says:

Every year I watch countless times a player on 2nd who is not forced try to reach 3rd on a ball hit to the SS and is out by 10 feet. I wish that someone would ask Hurdle how that happens. If I were a mgr I would find a way to punish that player so he or anybody else would never try it again.

Sec, I agree with you.

DK, thanks for the responses.

12. pgherinfl - Carl says:

Wow Dejan!!! The articles about the Pirates you’ve written in the last couple of days have been fantastic. Great video too. Just wish there was more of it!!! LOL!!! Just kidding, I know you have to sleep some time.

13. Tom says:

“I don’t get why everyone is writing off Presley when the time comes for Marte to start. All’s he done the past two years is hit. I realize it’s a small sample size, but he had an .803 OPS last year.”

When/if this team becomes a viable contender the outfield will be Cytch, Marte and Bell. Everyone else is trade bait.