Final: Astros 5, Pirates 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (8-11) vs. Houston Astros, Grapefruit League

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

TV, radio: Root Sports, MLB.com

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel is back on his beat, and I’m back home.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Josh Harrison, SS
  3. Jose Tabata, RF
  4. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Yamaico Navarro, 3B
  8. Michael McKenry, C
  9. James McDonald, RHP

Comments

More cuts, mercer optioned to AAA and Reyes, Slaten, and Martis sent to minor league camp.

I thought Daniel McCutchen might be on that bus after yesterday’s tough outing.

3. LuckyNKentucky says:

You’re right, John. It even drew the “T” word from JAL. I think he left Daniel in too long. DK said the hits weren’t hard-hit until the Granny.

I would prefer Juan Cruz make the club and I believe McCutchen has options, I do like Daniel’s personality. Still have some days in FLA to flesh it out, I guess. A lot of wiggle room on a lot of teams when it comes to long relief.

5. LuckyNKentucky says:

D-Mac is a Christian and I favor him for that reason, plus he is MLB caliber, I believe. Also, John, since your Badgers are out of the NCAA’s, just barely, how about rooting for my Buckeyes? Big Ten and all?

6. radio wave says:

Navarro at another position today. does it feel like with his versatility, this guy is going to go north with the team?

Lucky:

Always have, and always will, pull for the Big 10, and root for their teams. The Midwest is part of my DNA!

8. radio wave says:

Give my Ohio U Bobcats credit, they made it interesting.

9. LuckyNKentucky says:

RW,

Spent some time on that campus several years ago. They love their basketball. Glad to see them excell.

10. piratemike says:

Somebody needs to explain to ROOT that there is a reason why all the seats at sports events face the field of play. If I wanted to look at people I could go to a mall When I watch a baseball game I want to look at the players not people picking there noses or texting.

They just had Coonley talking about the new Budweiser area at PNC. Wrong guy.

11. radio wave says:

Piratemike:
    LOL

Been on OU and O St. campuses, both have positives though one can get lost easier on the O St. campus.

13. J-Mac having a good stint today. Very nice to see.

14. Piratemike, I’m surprised that they didn’t make him give a community service type speech after discussing the Bud area.

15. radio wave says:

This Astros team may be as bad as JR’s 2010 Pirates team.

16. PigLegs Robinson says:

Hey guys, how bout an update on game highlights? I had to cancel my cable when I lost my job last year, still can’t afford it. Have no way of knowing what’s going on in today’s game. Other than the espn scoreboard says Pirates up 2-0. No running box score though until game is over on espn.com
    How’d it happen? Who did what?

17. GI Jones was just robbed of a hit, but that was a nice play by Thurston.

18. PigLegs Robinson says:

Oh, nevermind. I see the live box on mlb.com now.

19. radio wave says:

Walker drove in both runs in the first inning. No hitter so far for McDonald.

20. radio wave says:

Only Astros runner eached on an error by Harrison.

21. radio wave says:

Piglegs:
    it’s ashame during spring training that some radio broadcasts are limited to the internet. At least during regular season you’ll be able to listen. But if you have access to the mlb page, go to pirates.com, I think you can get the game there. Also, for $20 for the season,on mlb.com they have gameday where you can subscribe to the radiocasts.

22. PigLegs Robinson says:

Hope they don’t try to get by on two runs again like yesterday. Maybe they will take out Tabata and put in McLouth, and get Hague into the game too somehow. Then we can score some insurance runs.

23. PigLegs Robinson says:

Game hasn’t been free for couple days now, and not free today either. I’ve listened to about 8 or 10 free games though on mlb.com so far this spring, so that was very nice.
    Once season starts I’ll be able to listen to all the games on radio. I enjoyed the archive function on mlb.com for all the free games during the day when I’m at work and can’t listen. Nice to put the game on when I get home and pause it to make some food and come back.

J mac after 5 0 hits 0 walks–only runner on an error

25. LuckyNKentucky says:

JAL,

Never been on the OSU campus. Just been a fan for over 50 years. Strange, but just one of the oddities of college sports. McDonald looks like mid-season form.

Jmac give up bloop single in 6th then nothing else

Lucky

OSU was first campus I was on that had two undergraduate libraries.

28. PigLegs Robinson says:

This is what I’ve said about J Mac for all-time. He has unhittable stuff for five innings but getting beyond that has always been his downfall. That’s why I think he could take over for Hanrahan if they ever traded him. But I’d really love for him to learn from a guy like A.J. Burnett how to pace himself better and be able to get through six or seven innings. Karstens is a seven inning pitcher and he was their best last year.
    No one is asking for complete games, but six or seven innings would make him a star.
    Five innings is not good enough for a starter.

PigLegs

He brteezed through 6 today on 75 pitches and is back out for the 7th

breezed

31. PigLegs Robinson says:

Yes he did. Good work. Now with Bogusevic on third and one out is the time for his strikeouts. If he just makes them hit grounders and lazy fly-outs the whole game, he still has enough in the tank when he really needs the strikeout.

Single, SB, ground out and sac fly get Astros a run but McDonald goes 7, 2 hits 1 run 0 walks 3 K

33. PigLegs Robinson says:

Yuck. McLouth is in but they replaced the wrong guy.

34. PigLegs Robinson says:

7 pitches and the Resop monkey mows ‘m down. Nice.

35. PigLegs Robinson says:

G.I. Jones!

Tabata single, get thrown out stealing, Cutch walks, Jones smacks one out–Pirates lead now 4-1

37. PigLegs Robinson says:

Now I can go to the laundromat and get my work clothes washed in peace. They better hold a 3 run lead, thats all I’m saying. Chris Resop and Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones did excellent work in the 8th, now lets hold’m!

38. LuckyNKentucky says:

JAL,

And two books in each, right?

Yes, very large campus

two walks and 3 run homer tie the game–another pitcher saying “i really don’t want a spot on the 25–Igarashi this time

41. LuckyNKentucky says:

Save him a ticket on the Von Reyes Express.

42. radio wave says:

Igarashi probaly just punched his ticket to indy

43. Spoke too soon PigLegs. These non-roster guys are killing the team, but of course D-Mac was not non-roster, but still had a rough day yesterday.

44. Send the Stros to the Hague!!!

45. Timmy N. just said “Matt Hague on deck.”

46. He gave it a ride, but not as high and in the jet stream that it needed to be.

47. Smooth move former Rule-5.

48. PigLegs Robinson says:

Wow. Another one. I’m glad I missed it.
    Now they know why the Mets cut Igarashi. Too bad they have to waste our time and ruin our enjoyment to learn things that any fan and his brother could have told them.

Even worse, some of the best hitters and run producers on the team are not even the starters. (McLouth, Hague, Harrison, Navarro).

Yikes, its shaping up to be another frustrating season already.

Madson out for year. NL Central just got more interesting.