Final: Rays 6, Pirates 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (8-15) vs. Tampa Bay Rays, Grapefruit League

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: Charlotte Sports Park, Port Charlotte, Fla.

Radio: MLB.com

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, RF
  2. Josh Harrison, LF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Casey McGehee, 3B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Rod Barajas, C
  7. Matt Hague, 1B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Charlie Morton, RHP

Comments

1. LuckyNKentucky says:

Harrison in left. That’s interesting. Maybe he can catch, too.

2. JoeBucco says:

From earlier this year, in response to which position is Harrison’s favorite to play… “Any position that keeps me in the big leagues”. That’s a cool dude.

3. PetroSteel says:

No Pedro? I would think he needs to play to get ready because he is obviously not ready YET.

No Pedro. Game doesn’t count. Everyone move along.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if Clint marched this lineup out for the opener. I like McGehee in the 4 spot with Walker batting behind him. Oh, and why not sign the guy who was sent over to the Cubs in the deal that brought Harrison here: SIGNGRABOWNOW

6. David says:

@JohninOshkosh

I don’t think I would like this lineup opening day. If I’m correct they will be going against the right handed Halladay so I want to see Jones in the lineup.

Pedro played in an Intrasquad game today–know he had a strikeout and a double but don’t have any other info

@David: You are correct, sir. Had it in my head that Lee was starting for Philly. Substitute Jones for Hague. The Hague can start the following game.

…of course, still a biq question whether Hague comes north. Just saying what I would do if I was Czar of the Pirates.

@David: Liked the bio on your blog. Always humbling, if not a bit depressing, for us older guys to realize many in the fan base have neither memory of the 92 playoffs nor a winning season!

11. LuckyNKentucky says:

Shame Harrison can’t catch, too, seriously, because he’ll hit higher than Barajas and McKenry. I echo John:

SIGNGRABOWNOW

12. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Sign Grabow for what?? Does Altoona need lefty help?

Good one 2012, but lefties are always needed and they find a way to the majors really fast.

14. 8 = Days until Opening Day
    283 = Days until Pedro’s first At Bat in Winter Ball

I see Rupert Murdoch, the old phone hacker himself, plans to launch a national sports network intended to compete with ESPN by the end of the year. This should please Dejan who has been calling for national competition for ESPN for quite some time. But, as always, be careful what you wish for.

Beautiful work, Mr. Strangeglove.

17. LuckyNKentucky says:

2012,

The word was Grabow had a good spring. He opted out somehow in LA. He’s certainly better than AA. Right now, it could be Watson (fair) or Moskos (?) or Juan Perez, a righty who was tougher on lefties last season. Do you feel Grabow is washed up?

Lucky:

I don’t know if it was a national cover or just on the covers issued to those of us in Big Ten land, but Aaron Craft greeted me in my mailbox on the cover of SI when I got home from work.

19. No radio for Pirates tonight!

What to do?———Pitt in the CBI . . . . . . . . or clip my toenails?

I have trouble walking and chewing gum at same time. Should I risk fraying my shoes and choose the CBI? Should I risk losing a toe and try to do both?

If I’m limping tomorrow you’ll know why.

20. Grabow has been consistently inconsistent. He can come in and strike out the side, or walk the bases loaded.

He is what he is. He has also rounded the bend and is headed for home. His best is certainly not ahead of him.

Why take another player off the 40-man for Grabow? We already have to dump one for Cruz. Tony Watson is about as good as Grabow when Grabow is good, and Watson still has upside.

One ‘Back to the Future’ player in McLouth is enough: let’s go with Tony Watson.

I know it ranks on the interesting scale between reviewing your life insurance policy and what Mike Milbury has to say about hockey but is that Pitt game going to be televised in Pittsburgh? On a national network? I seriously would like to know!

22. LuckyNKentucky says:

John,

I’d like to see Craft, Buford and Thomas be on for the weekend and support Sullinger. Many see them as #4 of the final 4. Of course, they were supposed to 8th of the Sweet 16, too.

Down here, it’s ridiculous. Ynz probably saw those two guys at a dialysis clinic throwing punches over the Louisville-UK game. That really puts KY in a great light. That, Turtle Man, bourbon and race horses are all KY is about in the eyes of the nation. Great PR.

The Pitt game is on HD Net. I have Comcast & I don’t get it. I think it’s only on Direct TV. And yes, I would watch it if I could.

24. likeabugonarug says:

Is DK covering the Pitt game tonight?

Lucky:

I had to “You Tube” Turtle Man. Was not familiar with him. Pretty darn funny. Reminds me of a relative I might have. As for bourbon and the ponies, have to admit, I like em both.

As for this weekend, I am not sold on KU, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if OSU defeats them. I am thinking that Kentucky/Louisville will beat each other up and get exhausted dealing with all the hoopla surrounding that match up. Too tired on Monday night, the winner of that match up will not have enough steam to be beat OSU in the national final.

Thanks Milo. I have the evil Time Warner as my carrier and did not see it on any schedule. I, too would watch it if I could. Any college BB game is better than shows like “Whitney”

27. LuckyNKentucky says:

John,

Turtle Man is a character. He’s one of kind, though. Sounds like a good senario on the final 4. OSU lost to UK last year, and I had my office decorated for the work day following. All day with that junk all over my desk and everyone. The other guys got quite a joy out of it, especially comparing OSU football and the junk they play at UK. I’d dearly love to return the favor to a few this season. All in fun, but I have enough OSU clothes, hats, etc. to cover several offices.

If Pitt wins the CBI, does that make them #70 after the NCAA’s and winner of the NIT? And then there’s the CFI or whatever other alphabet soup there is out there.

Groat,
    Watson is OK with me. Still like a look at Grabow. What about Moskos?

15:57 1st Half

Wazzu 7
    Pitt 6

Morton and price go 1-2-3 in the first

30. cosmo says:

does pitt raise a banner if it wins the cbi?

Ashton Gibbs is not playing tonight because of a bad ankle. How is that different from the rest of the season ?

10:47 1st Half

Pitt 16
    Wazzu 9

@cosmo

We’ll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

33. cosmo says:

pitt 26 – 17 4:42 left in half. anybody know a good printer.

34. cosmo says:

@ milo

any particular bidge in mind?

@cosmo

Panther Hollow ?

36. twentytwo22 says:

Aiken said Gibbs told him that both ankles were bothering him and that if only one was hurting he would have given it a go.

Cosmo:

I would. Pitt certainly paid enough for it to be in the tourn.

Will Gibbs play in the Association?

38. twentytwo22 says:

So uh, this is the third straight starter to put up zeros on the Pirates right.

@Oshkosh

A reunion of the horrible 60′s group The Association ? Maybe.

The NBA ? Never in a million years.

40. radio wave says:

1-0 rays after 3.

41. twentytwo22 says:

I’ve seen that play before.

42. cosmo says:

@ johninoshkosh

the way he played ty no way. he’ll have to go overseas to play.

milo

nice choice

22:

Everybody is padding their ST stats against the Buccos lately.

Milo:

LOL

45. twentytwo22 says:

Do plays like that happen in Strat-o-matic baseball? Can you choose the relative level of fundamentals of your team? Good,Average,Bad. If you run a league do you draw straws to see who gets to be the Pirates? Man on second ground ball to short, out at third. Probably not. There’s no law against violence towards a board game.

I love Strat-O-Matic!

@ 22

I still use the strat-o-matic defensive rankings. Who needs UZR & all that other garbage ? 1 thru 4. It’s not that complicated.

By the way – if no runners are forced, runners hold. Batter is out at 1st base. Maybe we should just give our base runners a copy.

48. PigLegs Robinson says:

This spring I’m reminiscent of way back when fourth outfielder Joe Orsulak was one of the most the most productive players on the team, but starting centerfielder Marvell Wynne was blocking him from playing, though he didn’t hit, run or field nearly as well as Orsulak. I never am glad when any player gets hurt, but I can’t lie and say I wasn’t happy when he got hurt and Orsulak got to start for a while. He actually took over Wynne’s job from then on – deservedly so, because he was better than Wynne.

I can’t hide that I feel that about Nate McLouth and Jose Tabata this year. I hope Tabata doesn’t get hurt, but rather that Hurdle would put the best player in regularly. But if a non-life threatening injury sidelines Tabata for a length of the season, I know I’ll not be very upset.

The Panthers hold on, and I emphasize hold on to beat Washington St. 57-53 to force a 3rd & deciding game in the Mighty CBI. You know, this would be a heckuva series if it really mattered for something.

50. PigLegs Robinson says:

On that between innings commercial for The Pirates, everytime I hear it it sounds like Tim Neverett is saying the first 5000 fans will receive a ‘recycled cat”.

51. LuckyNKentucky says:

Piglegs,

That would be a good promotion around here, but probably not in Pgh.