Finals: Twins 15, Pirates 3; Pirates 6, Orioles 6

Looking ahead to two first pitches on a split-squad day …

Game A: Pirates (8-17-1) vs. Baltimore Orioles, Grapefruit League

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

Radio: MLB.com

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Nate McLouth, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Neil Walker, 2B
  5. Casey McGehee, 3B
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Erik Bedard, LHP

Game B: Pirates (8-17-1) vs. Minnesota Twins, Grapefruit League

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: Hammond Stadium, Fort Myers, Fla.

Radio: MLB.com

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, RF
  2. Josh Harrison, SS
  3. Yamaico Navarro, 2B
  4. Matt Hague, 1B
  5. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  6. Miles Durham, LF
  7. Robbie Grossman, CF
  8. Michael McKenry, C
  9. Kevin Correia, RHP

Comments

1. Leefoo says:

I know this is a Buc’s thread, but did anyone else think that Pitt won because Wash St got tired of being in a different time zone?
    :) :) :)

2. MLB Trade Rumors does an analysis of each team’s off-season building and moves. Today’s focus is on the Pirates.

They listed the following off-season losses:

“Paul Maholm, Ronny Cedeno, Ryan Doumit, Ryan Ludwick, Derek Lee, Chris Snyder, Ross Ohlendorf, Joe Beimel, Steve Pearce, Jason Jaramillo, Jose Veras, Brandon Wood, Xavier Paul, Brooks Pounders, Diego Goris, Brett Lorin, Exicardo Cayones, Diego Moreno”

As I read over that list of goners, I only winced once!

1/ Either the BMTIB had a great off-season

2/ Or, the BMTIB, in its 4th season of being “The BEST,” should have never had players like above in the Pirate mix in the first place.

You decide!

3. Ryan (Nor-Cal stlrfanrc) says:

Would’ve like Derek Lee to come back….he still hasn’t signed, so it seems he means his retirement. Wouldn’t call half those guys “losses.”

Steve Pearce just signed a minor league deal with NY Yankees…always kinda liked that guy.

4. Eric Bowser says:

- Pitt had nothing to gain from a PR perspective by entering the CBI but Dixon hopefully gained a few more minutes to observe what his team can and can’t do.

- The BMTIB still hasn’t addressed the need for power at key run producing positions (1B, 3B, LF) and outside of the A.J. Burnett acquisition (good move), they don’t have strikeout pitchers in the starting rotation. The lack of power reduces your ability to make up for other problems on the roster or mistakes during the game.

- The BMTIB built a pitching staff that has to rely on an above average defense, guess that’s a problem with a below average defense coming north.

- I’m hopeful the team will battle to keep in the 72-82 win range but starting the season without two of your best starting pitchers, a scholarship awarded to a lost third baseman, disappointing bench depth, and concern about Evan Meek’s healthy return to the 8th inning setup role leads me to believe the Pirates are destined for another 65-72 win season.

5. Ryan (Nor-Cal stlrfanrc) says:

Pedro’s not lost yet……but close.

The bench hasn’t been decided yet. I like NM, Matt Hague, Josh Harrison, and Casey Mcgehheehhee.

I think I’d rather see Hague start at AAA though. Just to get everyday playing time.

6. This page is an all sports blog . . . . . . and since this is Dejan’s day away——we learned from another Trib writer that they are not expected to be productive 24/7———apparently Dejan learned his work ethic at a previous employer . . . . .

Anyway, over at Smiz’ blog there is a terrific article on one-and-dones in college basketball.

If you go both ways . . .

Come right back!

7. Ryan (Nor-Cal stlrfanrc) says:

I gave up on Smiz’s blog a long time ago.

8. andrew says:

Groat2Maz2…

I’m sure that you’re productive in your job 24/7, though…

This is the only blog I go to. When I whittle down my days to how I want to spend my time on the internet, this is the only blog that makes the cut.

Groat: I know you cringe at anything Tar Heel blue, but even you have to agree that losing 3 underclassmen to the Association (not the terrible 60′s musical group, Milo) is a bit concerning. I think the NCAA and NBA should figure something out. Maybe it is time for player stipends.

I echo another post from yesterday. I don’t quite get the hatred for Pitt and the CBI. Dixon and his players have gotten to play, and more importantly, practice for almost a month longer that many other teams. The players have played against real opponents with real refs and have had to make real game decisions. Plus potential recruits get to see the program in action while other potential programs are dormant. I consider this akin to a summer tournament in Europe or something. No one cares about the games, but they serve important developmental and recruiting purposes. And, finally, no one has a gun to your head to make you watch the games or read about them.

When do those semis leave Bradenton?

Apologize about the basketball rant on the Pirates’ thread. No Wake Up Call thread today and the game hasn’t started yet so thanks for indulging. Have a Great Weekend, everybody.

11. Leefoo says:

“, a scholarship awarded to a lost third baseman”

amen to that!

12. Leefoo says:

DK doesn’t work 24/7??

Fire his butt!!!!!!!!!!

13. PA’s first AB today – 3UA in top of 2nd. Positive = no K on that one.

14. In that second game, it is now 3-0 Minnesota with good old Doumit going 1-1 with a run scored. They are still batting with 1 out and 1st and 3rd in the bottom of the 2nd.

15. 4-0 now with still one out and 6 hits in the inning out of 7 batters for Minnesota. Correia not doing too hot in the 2nd inning.

16. 5-0 now with yet another single. still one out and 1st and 2nd.

17. Finally a 2nd out. Joe Mauer now 0-2. 1st and 3rd with 2 out.

18. Andrew,
    Since I see no visible tongue in cheek, I will take your statement as an affirmation of my work and say “Thank you!” Since I am on call at my job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and get too many of those midnight and 3:00 AM and 6:00 AM calls, while working every weekend, you must know about that. And, I’m not complaining, as another apparently has.

Thanks for the affirmation: I may show it to my Board of Directors!

Oshkosh b’gosh,
    I feel NO PITY for those Dirty Footed Fiends 6 miles to the east!!

I agree with you that I like college basketball better when the players become actual students and stay and play. David Stern really put a zinger into the NCAA when he told them to make their one-and-dones go to class in that article I mentioned.

However, I am NOT in favor of extra stipends for athletes. An athlete at Duke gets close to $250,000 worth of free stuff——education, books, clothes, food, trips, extras (more if they redshirt!)——that I and others do not get as normal students. What other 18-22 year old is making $40,000 – $70,000 a year at their employment! And what contacts the school makes for them. Then, if they’re good, they get to make the big bucks in the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, golf, tennis. Duke had more players in the NBA than any other school the last two seasons.

My roommate was a scholarship football player. I would be driving 10 hours back home to PA for a break, while the school would be flying him back home to Long Island.

Nah-ah-ah! The players get more than enough! I’m not in favor of stipends.

19. Morneau now 2-2 in the inning with the first double, now 6-0 and 2nd and 3rd with 2 out.

20. Finally, the 3rd out. after 2, 6-0 Twins over the Bucs.

21. AP goes deep in the talking game, now 1-0 Bucs over O’s.

22. McKenry a single, but stranded at 2nd in top 3rd. 6-0 after 2 and a half.

23. Doumit homers off Correia then after a double and two more singles, it is now 8-0 with 2 out in the bottom of the 3rd. Correia now pulled for Matt McSwain. Doumit now 2-2 in the game with 2 runs and 1 RBI. In the talking game, 1st and 3rd one out in the top of the 4th and 1 out. Bucs up 1-0.

24. Scratch that, it is only 1 out in the Twins game. Correia went 2 and 1/3 giving up 12 hits, 8 earned runs and 1 homer. Now Ronnie Paulino goes deep in the Talking Game, and it is now 3-1 O’s over the Bucs. That makes two former Bucs going deep against us today.

25. 4-1 now in the O’s game after Miller hits the jet stream to left field for another homer.

26. Bucs looking at an 8-19 Spring record with three more left before the Opener.

27. Another double scores two more in the Twins game and after 3 it is now 10-0. After 3 and a half in the O’s game it is 4-1 O’s.

28. OK, Steven J., that’s 5 in a row and 12 outta 13 comments that are negative. Come on, guy——you have to have a better outlook about the Bucs!!

Oh! I just realized you are only giving play-by-play. The Bucs are just that bad today. 8 – 19, here we come.

@Groat:

I am shocked, absolutely shocked, to learn from your post that Duke has a football program.

BTW-I recall from a post a few weeks ago that you were going to see a play. Who got the better of the debate-Freud or Lewis?

30. Jonesy with a 2 run dinger, and it is now 4-3 O’s over the Bucs.

31. @Groat, I hear yeah. I don’t see Radio on today, so I’m just using some of my time to give some play-by-play to the now mlb.com crowd. I’m really trying to be positive. And as I write, Badard drops a nice bunt and Barajas takes home with no one covering and no one covers third. Game now 5-4 after Barmas scores on the same play.

Thanks of the pbp, Steve. I don’t work 24/7 either, but it seems like that sometimes. Good to be able to look at this for game updates.

Meant “for the pbp”!

34. Chris says:

Hague is 0 for 2, he’s a bust! Steve pearce 2.0!!!

35. After 4 in both games, the Bucs up 5-4 against the O’s and down 10-0 against the Twins. McSwain settling some things down at least for this last inning.

36. LuckyNKentucky says:

Great line on Correia. 12 hits in less than 3 innings. Mid-season form.

37. Not fair, Oshkosh b’gosh, really low! Made me laugh loudly, albeit sadly!

Peyton Manning came to Duke to throw and get in shape for football for 4 weeks. He figured no one would think to look for him there!

Cool that you remembered the play: I think C. S. Lewis made more cogent points, but Freud was making a comeback when the bombing of London interrupted. Excellent play!

Boy, even when the bell rings on the regular season, it is going to be hard the recognize the Twins roster. Quite a turnover in the last few years.

39. Chris says:

that’s weird because Correia had an ERA of 3.6 last year at mid-season

40. AB #2 for K-dro is a K for those keeping track.

41. Double-Double by Walker and McGehee and it is now 6-4 Bucs. After 4 and a half in the Twins nightmare, the Bucs still down 10-0 with only 5 hits (all singles).

42. After 5, Bucs 6-4 over O’s.

I almost think that if PA comes north, that he should not play at all in the Philly series. Wait to get his first AB’s of the season at Dodger Stadium. If he strikes out his first few appearances at PNC-watch out. His AB’s are being more scrutinized at his point than the Zapruder film.

44. D-Mac in now and after loading the bases, gives Joe Mauer his first hit which is a bases clearing Double, now 13-0 Twins with two out.

45. After 5 now 13-0 Twins over Bucs. After 5 and a half now 6-5 Bucs over O’s.

46. Minor leaguer – Norman gets Bucs first extra base hit of the day – a Triple, so man on third with no out and Tabata up in Twins game.

47. Tabata K’s. Twins pitcher, Swarzak dealing against the Bucs with 5 K’s. Harrison gets the Bucs their first run with a sac fly. now 13-1. There went the shutout. Yeah!!

48. Steven J, you did such a good job changing the course at Bradenton. I guess your powers don’t carry south all the way to Fort Myers. 13-0.

9 – 18 at least a little better. Hold on to that lead.

I must leave my desk now to travel to take care of folks. Don’t let Andrew know I checked in on you all a couple times——I don’t want him to think I was not being productive 24/7.

Bring the Bucs home a winner, Boys!

49. Bucs leave a man on third in bottom of 6th, so after 6, still 6-5 Bucs over O’s. Now it is raining and in a bit of delay. In the other game, Bucs down 13-1 with Tim Wood on in the Bottom of the 6th with 1 out.

50. Have a good one Groat. Hopefully the rain calls the first game to conserve that victory for the good guys.

51. After 2 out, a double, homer and double have created a 15-1 lead for the Twins now.

52. Scratch that, single, homer then double.

53. After 6, 15-1 Twins and 19 hits given up to the Twins. The Twins starter is now out of the game, so here comes a possible comeback (hopefully).

54. Matt Hauge held in check today, now 0-3 and PA up with no one on and 1 out.

55. PA flies out, so 0-3 on the day again. now batting .156.

56. After 7, still 15-1 Twins over Bucs.

57. The Fort goes deep, so now after 7 and a half it is 15-2 in the Twins game.

58. After 8, 15-2 Twins over Bucs. The O’s-Bucs game is about to get back underway in the top of the 7th with Bucs up 6-5. Likely going to be a minor league game in that one the rest of the way with the exception of a couple players.

59. The Hauge connects on his 6th homer of the spring and it is now 15-3 in the top of the ninth versus the Twins. PA actually singles, then Grossman lines into a double play, game over and ends at 15-3. Now the bottom of the 7th in the O’s-Bucs game and still 6-5 Bucs.

60. Sorry for constantly misspelling Matt Hague’s last name. trying to do too many things at once.

61. At the end of 7, Bucs 6-5 over the O’s.

62. After one pitch, tie game after homer from minor leaguer Baker.

63. After 7 and a half, 6-6 game.

64. Bucs would have been better off calling the game when it rained. From the way the announcers were talking, the umps didn’t even want to get going again after the rain left. Still 6-6 after 8.

65. 6-6 after 8 and a half. Come on rally bats!!

66. End of 9, still 6-6 and we go to the extra inning.

67. Game called, so we end in another tie. so now they are 8-18-2 after the loss to the Twins today. Afternoon all!

68. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If Pay-dro bats .225 this year it will be seen as progress. Amazing!! Brandon Wood 2.0

69. pghboyinca says:

They listed the following off-season losses:

As I read over that list of goners, I only winced once!

1/ Either the BMTIB had a great off-season

You decide!

Read this post early on this thread and though tit was the epitomy of why some fans let this group have a free pass. How would dumping garbage they acquired make it a good off season? The best player sleaving were holdovers.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back