Milbury apologizes to Penguins

NBC’s PR staff just released this statement from Mike Milbury: “I reached out to David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio. In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans.”

Morehouse is the Penguins’ president.

Well, that ought to clear things up, right?

The most encouraging part of the apology is that it’s an open acknowledgment that Milbury went after the Penguins institutionally, which is not the sort of thing national announcers do whilst retaining their jobs.

UPDATE 1:48 p.m.: And here’s Sidney Crosby’s reaction, and other stuff from Josh in Boston.

Comments

1. tmp444 says:

Worst. Apology. Ever.

2. tmp444 says:

Ok, and that was probably the worst post ever. But I speak in hindsight.

To elaborate, what is he apologizing for? The comments about concussions? The comments about Bylsma wearing a skirt? Calling the kettle black when he has been arrested for assaulting 12 year old kids?

What may be even worse is that the apology came via NBC’s PR staff. In other words, this two sentence statement had the blessing of some suit at NBC, and therefore what Milbury did will just get swept under the rug. Another opportunity by the NHL actually to do something right (by forcing NBC’s hand) and they fail.

3. wls1961 says:

Your earlier post confirmed, he’s an idiot…

4. Rich Miller says:

You know what I don’t want him to apologize. He is an idiot, there is no apology needed. You cant go back on stupidity, which is what Milbury routinely tries to do.

5. Erika says:

Weak and, to put it kindly, incomplete. It’s time NBC acknowledged and dealt with the bias from so many of their broadcasters (see McGuire in addition to Milbury) and their nearly incomparable unprofessionalism.

6. TJA says:

well said t.m.p….well said.

Mike Milbury sorry? yeah, and I’m Mother Teresa ;)

8. tk says:

What’s the over under until he does something unintelligent again?

9. HilaryR says:

This apology is in regards to his making biased comments about a specific team, but his misogyny goes unmentioned. That’s not nearly a good enough apology to make up for his offensive comments. He should be reprimanded by NBC

10. LuckyNKentucky says:

J.

The term “sorry” here in KY means “pathetic”. And you ARE Mother Teresa!

That was a pretty crappy “apology”. The guy should be fired

12. LuckyNKentucky says:

For a complete definition of “misogyny” go to post number 69 in the previous thread. Or am I the only one who didn’t know what that means? Been down here too long, I guess.

Lucky, I have to admit, I had to check it too lol! Kentucky us just fine. Mike Milbury isn’t from there ;)
    Oh and Yes, I *AM* Mother Teresa!

Hilary, where do you hail from? Biz would like to add your city/town to our DK’s army list.

15. SD says:

DK – it would be nice if you could add the link of Ray Shero’s statement about the incident from ESPN. I think Ray was spot on, but wished he had addressed the skirt comment along with the concussion issues.

I’m not sure why Milbury called Moorehouse. Perhaps Sid was too busy recovering from his 35th concussion and Dan was out shopping for a new skirt? Those are the phone calls that should have been made. I’d also like to see him apologize on NHL Live and not just hide behind a statement written by the NBC pr staff.

I hope the network put a ton of heat on him to do something. Unfortunately, the was he handled it was pretty lame. Pick up the phone and do it like it should be done. Nope, he’s a worm, always was, always will be.

Thanks, Jandy, will check back later

17. PetroSteel says:

My thoughts are as follows… I agree that the guy is a complete idiot. I think we all pretty much agree with that. But, who really cares what he says. The guy has a history of being a nut case. So why would we care what he says. I mean if it was coming from someone that we all respected (Bill Clement, etc.) than that would be different. I think you get my point.

The issue here is that the Pens are struggling right now. They went from unbeatable to having a difficult time beating anyone. What the heck happened. I hear what some people are saying…We are not paying enough attention to defense. Well, it worked before. What happened?

If the Pens need to play a different way to be successful, than they obviously have the talent to play several different ways and not just one way like most every other team. They will adapt.

And NBC and the NHL will be happy and will continue to be happy because an idiot will help with ratings. It’s all about the all mighty dollar and doing whatever it takes to bring in more of it.

So this guy will go live on some radio show to make his original quotes but releases his apology through the corporate PR staff?

Mike, you’re either a coward or a shill. Take your pick.

Sounds like the kind of guy that would hit a 12 yo kid at his sons hockey practice.

Oh, wait..

19. PetroSteel says:

NMR

And everyone is talking about what he said and more viewers tune in and the ratings go up. That’s why he will still be going to doing the broadcasts. That’s what this is all about.

How many hollywood superstars do crazy things and their popularity goes up. They get more press. Good press or bad press. It doesnt matter.

20. tk says:

You nailed it PetroSteel, as the saying goes, there’s no such thing as bad press

21. TJA says:

Hey Dejan…based on what I am reading thus far…I’d say no this does not “clear things up”! We are Pittsburghers and are very protective of our “own” in this town. And Sid and the Pens are one of our own!!

DK: Was not being remotely serious, TJ.

22. HilaryR says:

I’m from Toronto, one of many up here who bleed black and gold instead of blue and white.

Thanks, Hilary, there you go Biz :)

24. TJA says:

I know DK, but still, this story is sure making for great debate and getting everyone ready for next week.

25. LuckyNKentucky says:

I love the Canadian national anthem, Oh, Canada. Now, we have some AHL members from Canada. This is a great blog. Over 220 entries by Noon PST, not to mention the tweets and retweets. DK better write that soccer column soon.

Lucky, you tell him. Better get to it, DK!

Lucky, wonder if this will carry over into the live chat Thursday? DK will be hard-pressed to handle it!

28. LuckyNKentucky says:

Jandy,

He can be selective on that. He’s stuck with us here.

29. Sheila says:

Interesting. Now Crosby’s dad via twitter has posted his opinion. (at least folks think it is Sid’s dad?) here’s link. https://twitter.com/#!/tcroz29

“I wouldn’t wish what my son has gone thru the past 15 months on anyone and is nothing to be joking about.”

30. mike says:

But you all are going to be tuned in Saturday and hanging on Milbury’s every syllable.

Yes, mike, there will be millions new fans tuning in to watch the famous Mike Milbury. A game against the Penguins biggest rival on the last weekend of the season before a first round playoff rematch would’ve gotten terible ratings had Milbury not worked his PR magic.

You truly are the smartest one in the room.

32. Nancy52 says:

NOT me. I hit the mute button when he comes on. Have been doing that for years.

33. mike says:

@NMR:

Thank you.

But I’ll take it with a grain of salt. After all, the intelligence level of the posters here isn’t exactly GED territory.

DK: Mike, you can make your points well — and have done so — without insulting any other posters.

34. Leah Backus says:

Uh…Mike? I suggest you cruise some other hockey blogs and forums before you insult the intelligence level of people here. Just sayin’. Oh, and one of the things I’m proud of is that we don’t attack one another personally here. No need for it. Also just sayin’.

As fas as Milbury’s apology? No surprise to me that he apologized for everything *but* the skirt comment. I doubt that anyone in the NHL from the top brass on down thinks that was anything to apologize *for*. That’s how deeply casual misogyny is ingrained in the game. And yes, I get that guys trash each other that way on the ice all the time. But it’s a far different thing for a national television analyst to do it. I’ve waited for an apology and not received it. NBC will be hearing from me about this.

DK,

I read the Wall Street Journal piece you linked and I think your intro is quite misleading and totally unfair.

“Here’s how Milbury handled Pat LaFontaine’s concussion.”

That story had nothing to do with LaFontaine’s concussion issues. It was about his quitting his figure head job (and rightly so) with the Islanders and Milbury’s reaction to it.

DK: I agree, Milo. I’ve taken it down.

Mike – you insinuated that we are all hypocrites using not only ignorant, but flawed logic.

And you’re questioning our intelligence?

That’s cute.

DK,

I do thank you for the link. I would have never found it otherwise. It was a good read & some good insight on what’s become of what used to be the Islanders.

Lucky, yes he is indeed stuck with us, the lucky guy, :)

Sheila, thanks for the link….even if it ISN’T his dad, it’s a great point to make.

Leah…you speak truth….just sayin ;)

Mike, we on this blog RESPECT each other, another thing you seem to be lacking….besides the other you speak of.

Nancy, good idea…I think I may mute it and listen to Lange and Bourque!

39. RobertoForever says:

DK,

Any chance you or someone else knows an email address for a higher up and NBCSports so we can complain and ask for something more than a weak PR apology, and more like a suspension and/or firing?

Also, I didn’t see the pregame. Did he apologize live?

Thanks.

40. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Roberto- Check this mornings “idiot” blog. I don’t remember who posted it, but there is a link to NBC to email your displeasure.

41. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

When it comes down to it, who really cares that he apologized. It was meaningless and expected. My guess is, he’s not the one that actually said it and a PR geek for NBC wrote it up.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back