Final: Penguins 5, Rangers 2

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (49-25-6) vs. New York Rangers (51-22-7)

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, 105.9 The X

Here is the official live summary.

Updates are on our Penguins page. Josh Yohe is asking about the score of the ballgame.

Comments

1. Poz says:

An evening with the Pens on what I expect will be one of the busiest for the hard-working and forever enduring, DK.

2. Eric Bowser says:

1-0 Pens – Nice cycle by Penguins to own possession down low with Park tapping puck to Malkin in the corner, who finds a wide open Letang coming into top of zone from middle of ice and fires a wrist shot wide of net but Kunitz is there to get the puck to deflect off of his skate/leg over Biron.

1-1 tie – Really bad decision by Brian Strait to try to push the puck from deep in his zone to beyond the center red line, which was easily intercepted and counter-attack went from Fedotenko backhand direction off Fleury’s pad to an easy one-timer push shot by Dubinsky as Fleury had to go from left to right across the crease. The exact type of goal this team has been giving up over the last two weeks. The Ed Olczyk system of firing long passes from blue line to blue line has to stop or Flyers will eat it up in the first round.

2-1 Pens – missed what created the goal but Kennedy fired a one-timer from left-wing, bad goal, imo.

Rangers started to get physical late in the period, going after Crosby and Malkin.

1st intermission

Playoff hockey, I can smell it

3. Eric Bowser says:

Poz – Good $ says Dejan is loving today way more than he dreads it.

DK: I won’t do a doubleheader until Saturday. Today was long enough!

4. Poz says:

In expand on the Rangers goal Eric, two Pens watching the shot by Fedo and not picking up Dubinsky on the other side of the net.

5. Poz says:

Agree DK is living large today, Eric.

6. Eric Bowser says:

Poz – Yep, that goal personified all the problems. The forward-defensemen gap was too much, Rangers sealed off the boards and Strait still make the bone-headed decision to pass the puck up the ice. Then like you said, guys were bird watching rather than paying attention to the details (defensive assignments). You can’t allow a guy to just skate down broadway to push a puck like that into the goal.

7. Eric Bowser says:

Gaborik with great chance on 1-timer, terrible defensive work by Pens again. ugly

8. Eric Bowser says:

Rangers game plan, punch the heads of the Penguins star players.

Garage league, we’re back to 1995-1996

9. Poz says:

This needs to be a one second review.

10. Eric Bowser says:

3-1 Pens – Tangradi with pass to Dupuis for high hard shot, loose puck at side of net is backhanded off side of Biron and into goal by Richard Park.

11. Eric Bowser says:

16-game point streak for Pascal Dupuis, longest in NHL.

12. Poz says:

Eric – do you do sports analysis in a different life? Your summaries are rapid and spot on.

13. Eric Bowser says:

Poz – Ha, I wish. From 95-02, I did a lot of writing for my own personal sports website (Penguins Fan Central and Fan Central) for hockey, baseball and football but mainly hockey. That’s where DK and I met and for awhile, I thought about being a reporter with hopes to get into the sports reporting business, which I did do some stringing for one high school football season. Marriage and kids pretty much changed those aspirations, so I didn’t pursue it.

Back in ’02, I spent a good bit of time when I moved back to Pittsburgh talking with different hockey people like Chuck Grillo and Kevin Constantine about scouting, player development, coaching, etc. to help me understand the sport even better than just a fan’s point of view.

Folks in the hockey businss from players, team management, coaches, scouts, media, and league executives are the most fan friendly in the sport. When I can email NHL’s Bill Daly about things, some on and off the record, I would never get that kind of access with MLB or NFL, that’s for sure and trust me, I tried to do so with MLB folks.

14. Eric Bowser says:

Who put rocket boosters on Strait’s stick for that shot?

15. Eric Bowser says:

Arron Asham is in playoff mode, he’s playing good solid hockey right now.

16. Eric Bowser says:

Hard to gauge the Penguins in this game as I don’t know how much effort the Rangers are putting out tonight but I’m glad to see a little better defensive positioning in the second period.

17. Poz says:

Well Eric, you are a fine writer, extremely capable of blending clarity with accuracy.

18. Poz says:

Pens don’t give up a goal in the 2nd! Now, can they close out the 3rd with a two goal lead?

19. Eric Bowser says:

Poz – Thanks.

After a little rough first period with a few turnovers and attention to details on their defensive assignments, Pens really got to their game in the second period. I saw maybe 2-3 shifts where the defensive alignment (1 forward and 2 defensemen) were not in the proper positioning entering the defensive zone.

20. Eric Bowser says:

Strait and Engelland, worst defensive pairing ever. Yikes, Strait is struggling.

21. Poz says:

I cringe when I hear the name Strait tonight.

22. Poz says:

Pens wobbling a bit on defense.

23. Poz says:

Nice penalty kill.

24. Eric Bowser says:

4-1 Pens – Kunitz got behind the defense, missed the passed and still got to puck first and Malkin goes 5-hole getting position in front of Girardi to knock in 49th goal of the season.

25. Eric Bowser says:

How embarrassing was that for Tangradi? He trips over the imaginary wire on the blue line and Marc Staal almost scores a goal. Now Letang heads off to the penalty-box for another Rangers power play.

26. Eric Bowser says:

Really senseless kneeing penalty by Orpik on Steppan

27. Poz says:

Bad play by Orpik. Don’t want to see anyone get hurt.

28. Eric Bowser says:

Letang gets breakaway and blows it

29. Eric Bowser says:

5-2 Pens – Pens win faceoff by Staal, Letang flips it high and into empty net.

30. Poz says:

Eric – Enjoyed it. Take care.

31. Eric Bowser says:

Final
    Penguins 5 Rangers 2

1st round is set with Penguins #4 vs Flyers #5 and one last game left in the regular season involving both teams on Saturday. There’s nothing to play for but setting the tone for the playoff series.

There’s no doubt the Flyers will attempt to play with a physical edge after their obvious game plan in the last two games was to attack the Penguins after the whistle. I have to imagine Orpik will be suspended for at least one game because of the kneeing incident so losing is physical presence on the blue line could be a factor.

Congrats to Marc-Andre Fleury for tying the team record for wins held by Tom Barrasso.

32. twentytwo22 says:

Unless Anaheim wins their two remaining games (on the road), the only division where every team will finish .500 or better is the Southeast. Mediocrity rising.

Eric, have you written for FaceOff Factor blog?
    I agree with Poz, great commentary :)

Sports: Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | Sitting Ringside | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | H.S. Sports Insiders | Trailing Off