Final: Cardinals 4, Pirates 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (5-7) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (9-4)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel handles the first game back after a road trip.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Neil Walker, 2B
  5. Garrett Jones, 1B
  6. Rod Barajas, C
  7. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Charlie Morton, RHP

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

barm “E” s

2. David W. Hannen says:

I’ve been thinking about Pedro quite a bit lately. Mainly, scared that he’ll never put it together and become a major bust. Also, it could set them back another 2-3 yrs., if he at least doesn’t provide decent power (20-25hr/yr). So, this morning, the light bulb came on and I had two ideas. One is to insert him in the 4th spot in the line-up and give him a minumum of 10-15 games (I am for giving him 20-25) against both R/L pitchers. Throw him in the water and find out if he can learn to swim. If he doesn’t produce, send him down. My other idea would be to keep him away from the two headed hitting instructure (Hurdle being the other head) and bring in a new hitting instructor of Pedro’s choosing. Either his high school, college, minor league, or major league hitting coach who he feels the most comfortable with. Both ideas are drastic, outside the box, and would probably never be considered by the team. But, if he’s going to flounder at 7th in the order, continually strike out, and look lost, against all righties, I would rather try something drastic before sending him down. I say, “Put my ideas in place effective in game 2 of the series against STL.”. Thoughts?

P.S. DK, Is there any chance that you would run my suggestions by Clint Hurdle? Neal Huntington?

3. JRay3 says:

So what have I missed? Down 2-1 does not appear any offense. When do the bats wake up?

4 errors

5. JRay3 says:

And I probably can guess our off-season upgrade at SS has contributed…that is scary…well when your offense does not hit your defense better be perfect.

2 on Barmes though better fielding 1b would have saved one of them, 1 on Morton, and 1 on Walker.

7. JRay3 says:

Well fifth series of the year and we are 0-5 in game one of the series…on the bright side we were able to win the next two versus the Phillies and Dbacks, hope this series can mirror them.

Looking at the box score looks like Clint has his hands full with coming up with a solution for 6-8 in the lineup…another 0-9 does not look good.

Clint BarmEs.

9. Playoffs by 2012 says:

BarmE’s

10. Michael says:

Watched the Bradenton Marauders tonight with a start by G Cole as a an added bonus. He was dominant in the first…struck out the side, didn’t throw a ball until batter #3. After that, pretty ordinary from my eyes….3 runs through 4, some well hit balls including a bomb off the top of the scoreboard.

DK: Thanks for this, Mike!

11. JRay3 says:

Thanks nice update Michael…seems the report with Cole is he will develop dominant stuff when he learns to repeat his mechanics and pound the ball down in the zone…he will realize at the pro levels many can catch up to mid 90′s belt high fastball.

12. RobertoForever says:

Michael,

Thanks for the in person update. Always appreciate first hand reporting.

13. bob hasis says:

As I said on this blog in late March, we fans would regret the “wisdom” of Huntington’s decision to, in effect, trade Cedeno and Doumit for Barmes and Barajas. I couldn’t have imagined I would be so emphatically right so soon.

I think we have all seen enough already; neither one can throw especially Barajas (nor can he run); we all already know they can’t hit and in fact strike out so often they are among the league leaders. We all know who tops that list also.

So Mr. Huntington, WHY ARE THEY STILL HERE CLUTTERING UP OUR LINEUP AND OUR DUGOUT??? Are you using PNC Field as a research arena for your failed experiments? Have the backbone to admit you made two more blunderous decisions and get them off of our field – NOW.

Until Starling Marte is “technically” allowed to be brought onto this team (as per your dictate so as to control his contract for an extra year), we are forced to endure this humiliating mediocrity.

Irrespective of what you may demand of Hurdle, if I were he, I would use this line-up;
    Presley LF, Walker 2B, Cutch CF, Jones 1B, McGehee 3B, McLouth RF, Harrison SS, McKenrey C all of which equals more speed, more hustle, more contact at the plate which might translate into success. Play them until they beg for relief.
    Remember Mr. Hurdle, your job may be on the line as the “fall guy” for Huntington, even though you may not deserve such.
    The late Al Davis was right – “Just win, baby”!

14. RobertoForever says:

Yep 13 games in and we should remote/cut everyone who is under performing.

Cut Barajas Barmes and demote Alvarez. DFA Tabata, and just eat his contract. Demote Hague to AA since he can’t hit AAA. Trade back Maholm and his 13.50 ERA. Get back Doumit and his 0% CS and. 250 ba AND slugging. Maybe if we fire NH after 13 games we canconvince Jack Wilson and X Nady and Freddy Sanchez to come back.

Then we can lose 95 games with dignity.

15. bob hasis says:

Yes Roberto. You seem to overlook truth, by trying to cover it with your silly parody

How about firing the incompetent GM and replacing him with someone whose talents extend beyond being able to get John Hart his coffee.

17. RobertoForever says:

Ok bob, I’ll bite.

Pick one topic and make your case. Keep it simple – ie 1 situation or player. Lets see if you can stay factual and objective.

I am even letting you pick the topic and go first.

#CantWait

18. RobertoForever says:

@Milo,

Name 2 gm candidates hired (not retreads unless youhave to) in the same time frame and make your case they were better.

Your hyperbole is greatbut reeks of bitterness and bias. I look forward to your objective casewithout snide cheap shots.

@Roberto ad nauseum

That’s not the question. But I’ll give you Jon Daniels, Alex Anthopolous, & Jerry DiPoto anyway. Huntington was hired less than a year after being demoted by the Indians. The point is that Huntington hasn’t even been able to live up to Dave Littlefield’s standards and he’s rewarded with a 4 year extension.

20. bob hasis says:

Roberto you apparently had some problem with logic and comprehension in grade school, but your one response does show “a slight spark of recognition” when you suggest to cut Barmes and Barajas – and bench/demote Alvarez. I think you’re beginning to see the light.

However I did not suggest or infer we should do the inane things you state, by dredging up the past. There are alot of truths flying around your head, but not inside, sadly. Why pick just one topic – and as you suggest keep it simple. Is that for your benefit?

Here is something for you to consider; I will take Doumit over Barajas based on accomplishments, speed, versatility (he is a switch-hitter and was able to right field and 1st base), power stats and batting average stats, incl. runs batted in. (Note I did not need to research this). You mention CS, neither one has ever been great, but Barajas can only bounce his throw to second NOW.

As a rookie, Barmes was great, and even for a few years thereafter. Last year he was the benefactor of the short porch in Houston of which I’m certain helped his average.
    His arm is no longer that of a major league shortstop – and his range is very suspect.

Let’s not discuss offense since .067 and .103 have little content. Where is Mario Mendoza when you need him? If necessary, let me know and I’ll explain that to you as well.

It is a pleasure to have had this exchange with you, and please take off your rose-colored sun glasses; there is a different picture to be seen than that with which you are struggling

21. RobertoForever says:

So, Milo. No facts or analysis? Just your opinion?

Thats not making a case. So you are not interested in real baseball discussions, just cheap one-liners.

Fair enough. Enjoy your views

22. RobertoForever says:

@Bob

The request to keep it to one player was to focus in on facts. I’ll stick with only Barajas.

So to be clear, your decision, 13 games in, is to declare Doumit at $9 million, better than Barajas?

I will concede that 13 games in, Barajas has severely underperformed his career numbers. But I will not concede that a decision to DFA Barajas is even remotely reasonable. You seem to make the case that McKenry is the best everyday catching option, right? Want to make sure I am not putting words in your mouth. But if not McKenry then who?

Look forward to your reply.

23. RobertoForever says:

@Bob, also wondering if you can break your record for insults in a post. I count 11 in that post. But maybe there are more. Not sure I am smart enough to comprehend all your wit.

24. bob hasis says:

Roberto, don’t be so sensitive
    What was your intention by mentioning $9 million? It is irrelevent in this discussion! My original premise (and I don’t expect you or anyone to recall it) was that we fans would soon miss Doumit and Cedeno for being better producers than Barajas and Barmes. I still maintain that thought.

We were discussing ability and production, and right now Barajas can’t throw, can’t run and can’t hit (b.a.067 as we speak) that is what I see, so go with McKenry who bailed us out last year to some extent. If he fails, then NH will have to go back to the drawing board.

As for Barmes, he has limited range, has bounced several balls to first, and was it he? who took that throw from left field yesterday and bounced the relay toward the visiting dugout while attempting to throw home. His avg is a pathetic .103, and has way too many strikeouts,
    as does Barajas. This is truth! Do you admit that?

And our #7 batter is also hitting .067 and is in the top 3 in the league with K’s.

You can’t continue to trot out there every day people with stats and production like they have displayed.
    Wouldn’t you like to see McLouth, Harrison and McKenry in 6-7-8 for a little while?

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle