Final: Cardinals 5, Pirates 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (6-8) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (10-5)

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel will run the bases afterward.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Nate McLouth, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Neil Walker, 2B
  5. Garrett Jones, 1B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Clint Barmes, SS
  8. Michael McKenry, C
  9. Erik Bedard, LHP

Comments

1. Davedigspgplus says:

This is kind of how our rotation will be set up for the postseason.

Burnett in Game 1, Bedard in Game 2

2. DavedigsDKsblog says:

That screen name looks better!

“Rob Biertempfel will run the bases afterward.”

Funny line DK. And I would even stay late to watch that.

How about a race between you and RB? Or you two could demonstrate how that double steal should have worked last night.

4. mayhay22 says:

Biertempfel should watch out for Randall Simon.

5. Letter to the Editor today from Eric Bedard:

“To my offensive teammates, can you please get me some @#%#^! run support?! Thank you. – Eric”
    Let’s Go Bucs!

6. RobertoForever says:

Cheap one liners aside.

I like the Bucs chances today.

Cold so favors pitchers and low offense again

#LetsGoBucs

7. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Over / Under for today
    Total Number of times Clint Barmes reaches base
    Line is 0.5

What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT TOTALS
    RobertoForever +20
    Milo Hamilton -20
    JohninOshkosh -20

8. JRay3 says:

Stat of the day- The Pirates are 3-1 this season in the series finale! @ Roberto I agree with you cold weather depleted Cards lineup I like our chances to take the series.

@ Playoffs – ok I will bite I am actually going to gout the limb and say over, (holding my breath).

Let’s go Bucs!

9. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Jray

Glad to see the optimism. How many units?

10. The way this offense has been going I would have liked Pedro to get the out at home there. I know you want to get two, but the Bucs being down already 1-0 sucks with this offense. Hopefully they learn to hit Loshe today.

11. JRay3 says:

@ playoffs -20 just like the others…all considering nice job by Bedard to escape the jam.

12. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JRay, you got it.

13. Game over for this offense now that it is 3-0. So much for those great numbers against Loshe that they showed. So far, no one has been doing anything against him. Bedard’s control since the first game has left him since. Gloomy day all around.

14. I know at this point they are only 3.5 out and at 6-8 in third place, but when 2/5 of the rotation basically gets under 1 run of support each time out, that basically means you’re at least losing 2 of those five games that the rotation starts. This offense needs to start doing something. Let’s go Bucs!

15. That’s a start, now keep it going. Anyone else think McKenry should be starting instead of Barajas? At least McKenry’s ABs look better.

16. Officer Mancuso says:

“Anemic Pirates offense scores 1 as .111 hitting Alvarez starts, goes 0/3 with a K while McGeehe comes off the bench to PH and goes 1 for 1, too little too late.” Dog bites man. The PBC is extraordinarily dysfunctional. (Well, empiricists already knew that).

17. RobertoForever says:

Playoffs, sorry I missed out on the oppty. Keep posting chances, and i will play along. I like it!

Unfortunately both teams offense were suppressed again by the cold.

Bedard does bare significant responsibility for the loss. 2 of Those 4 walks were killer. Both pitchers only gave up 6/7 hits, but the 4 walks were the difference.

I am guessing there will not be a game during the snow squalls tomorrow, lol.

Fyi – Royals are first team in forever to open the season 0-9. Bucs are 3-4 at home. Interesting

18. Al says:

DK,

I don’t know if this is the place to ask these questions, but I’ll throw them out there just in case:

1. As it seems that Mark Trumbo’s the odd man out in LA and that the Angels’ bullpen is stumbling, is there any chance that the Bucs make a trade? Or are they intrigued by and/or satisfied with McGehee’s possible rebound and the Jones plug-in?

2. It looks like Tim Alderson’s off to a nice start in AA albeit in the bullpen. I’ve heard that he’s gone back to basics to try to counter the speed drop and the guy’s still a kid (22?). Have you heard anything about his recovery? I know that he pretty much got left for dead but it’s tough to write off that kind of talent.

Thanks,
    Al

DK: Have heard nothing about trade pursuits of any kind, Al. As for Alderson, he reworked his delivery over the winter with a coach from his youth, including an extended long-tossing program. That has his velocity back up to close to what it was when he was drafted. He’s suddenly on the radar again, to his credit.

19. Al says: