On location: Pirates 5, Rockies 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (6-9) vs. Colorado Rockies (8-7)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel looks funny in earmuffs.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Casey McGehee, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Yamaico Navarro, 3B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Kevin Correia, RHP

Comments

Unlike Sunday, maybe the powers that be at PNC Park will actually turn on the heat in the restrooms tonight.

2. JRay3 says:

Well game one of a condensed three game series. Have a great chance tonight to warm up the bats against Moyer, just hope the team displays some patience and wait it out for their pitches. A series win would be a great springboard for upcoming road trip to Atlanta and St.Louis.

With DH tomorrow the Pirates are permitted to carry 26….should be hearing news on the addition of a bullpen arm most likely Moskos or Slaten? Clint has mentioned his desire to get a second LH arm in the pen.

Let’s Go Bucs!

@JRay

I think that new rule only applies to scheduled day/night doubleheaders.

4. You would think Clint would use as many of his lefty bats tonight since I think I saw that lefties are hitting Moyer better than righties. In any case, the bats better awaken for this series and keep it rolling from here on out. Let’s Go Bucs!

5. JRay3 says:

@ Milo – What is this a Yankee / Red Sox rule since they always want the extra gate? That makes zero sense to me….a double header is a double header whether played 30 minutes after the conclusion of Game 1 or three hours later….good ‘ol Bud Selig.

@JRay

I thought exactly the same thing. The Giants & Mets went through the same thing yesterday. I saw it explained that it had to be a day/night DH scheduled at least 48 hours in advance. It makes absolutely no sense. They need to add a 26th player for every game. More & more teams are going to 13 pitchers leaving themselves short on the bench.

7. JRay3 says:

STAT OF THE DAY – Did you know the combined ERA of the 15 starters the Pirates have faced is 2.39. Ten of the starters the Pirates have faced place in the Top 20 of NL Pitching ERA. Nine have sub 2.00 ERA’s: Lohse 0.99, Saunders 1.29, Westbrook 1.31, Lynn 1.41, Halladay 1.50, Kershaw 1.61, Zito 1.71, Cain 1.88 and Lee 1.96.

That said the three starters the Pirates face this series have a combined ERA of 4.51 nearly double what the team has seen through the first 15 games. The team has averaged 2 runs per game against top heavy pitching…my prediction an offensive breakout begins this series.

Let’s Go Bucs!

The Pirates are clearly under the impression they can add an extra player tomorrow. That’s not the way I read the rule. I’m hoping they’re right because that would be awfully embarrassing if I knew the rule & they didn’t. We’ll see soon enough.

9. Sorry not to see Pedro in there tonight against Moyer.

Pedro does well against batting practice pitchers (I think I might have heard once or twice that he hit it out of Dodger Stadium in BP) and Moyer’s speed of pitches certainly qualifies him as batting practice type.

Since Pedro will probably only play one outta two tomorrow in the doubleheader, ugh-h-h! He needs to play if he’s going to be here!!

Plus, it takes away my opportunity to see another edition of “the Dirty O Triplets!”

Not Manny, Moe, and Jack, but Pedro, Cliffie, and Roddy! Go Dirty O !!!!

@JRay

The beat writers for both papers have tweeted that the Pirates are planning to add a pitcher, probably Moskos, as their 26th player tomorrow.

This was tweeted by Andrew Baggarly the Giants beat reporter for CSN Bay Area in regards to their DH yesterday – “Nope, the Giants an Mets don’t get a 26th player for tomorrow’s doubleheader. New rule only applies to scheduled, day/night doubleheaders.”

I am so ready to pounce.

11. JRay3 says:

@ Milo – I am getting more and more confused by the minute.

@JRay

The Rockies are calling up a pitcher for tomorrow. It’s looking like you’re right & I’m wrong. If so, that’s comforting. But what’s different between the Mets DH yesterday & ours tomorrow ?

As long as the doubleheader is scheduled 48 hours in advance the 26th man can be added, be it a day/night or conventional DH.

14. Lefties batting .333 against Moyer while righties are batting .255. So far tonight 1 hit for lefties and 2 for the righties after Tabata’s slow infield roller. Once again this team can’t hit slow pitching. Hopefully the third time through the order will work.

Unfortunately Steve, they can’t hit fast pitching either.

16. JRay3 says:

@ Milo – thanks for the clarification…so far this is so frustrating to watch…a hit an inning…how about stringing something together against this 49 year old.

17. DK is convulsing badly with every shot of the Pirates Charities sign on ROOT Sports.

18. No hitting discipline at all tonight. Not good when your pitcher comes to the plate twice with a man on third and has to be the one to try and score them with two outs.

19. JRay3 says:

Can our hitters not see that Moyer is pitching outside to them yet we refuse to go that way and have instead tried to pull that pitch only to ground out to SS umpteen times.

20. JRay3 says:

our pitchers have got to be thinking they can’t make one mistake on the mound or it could be over…KC one mistake pitch to Gonzalez and has been great since yet the familiar theme of no support. I can only imagine what this staff could do if they were staked some runs from time to time.

21. The typical hit with runners in scoring position to not score a run due to him smoking it to close to the fielder. Come on Barmes!

22. JRay3 says:

That was a horrible AB by Barajas… I can’t wait for the day I see Fryer or Sanchez…another wasted opportunity.

23. @JRay, I was going to say the same thing. I don’t know why McKenry doesn’t start and have Barajas on the bench. At least Mike hits every once and a while and hustles.

24. JRay3 says:

Great job Correia, you and every other pitcher on this staff deserve better.

I’d like to thank Jim Tracy for over-thinking this.

26. Two hits that don’t score squat!

27. Way to go Cutch!!!!

28. 2 feet from a three run dinger.

29. JRay3 says:

Cutch has had three balls hit the top of the wall this year…. Big hit!!!Now let’s get some insurance.

Earlier today I was trying to remember why I didn’t like Jim Tracy. I remember now.

31. How was Cutch not running after tagging on that. There was one out. I know he has speed, but come on. A passed ball scores another.

32. bob hasis says:

@steve j. smith #32

My thought exactly, and if not caught he still scores from second. Leyva is asleep again.

33. Both Gonzales homers on pitches up and out over the plate and he took them to left center. Sucks when the offense can’t score anything. If Correia gets just one hit this is a different game.

34. JRay3 says:

Wasn’t expecting that…nice job Barmes driving a 2-0 pitch!

35. JRay3 says:

Getting some help! Tabata bunt it down third base line!

36. I think Clint finally realized that he needs to either hook the pitch some or hit it farther than those Crawford Boxes he played in last year. Nice hit. Nice speed by Presley to get down the line and cause the pitcher to screw up.

I think Clint Hurdle hates Garrett Jones.

38. Casey comes through. Nice going with the pitch there!

39. JRay3 says:

So far Casey McGehee has been a great offseason addition….huge two out hitting and going opposite field with the hit…nice AB

40. bob hasis says:

Do you think McGehee can become a regular? Like be in the starting line-up every day.

41. JRay3 says:

Hammer time…come on 1-2-3 let’s close this out!!

42. Top three in the line-up tonight 5 for 13 with 3 runs scored and 3 RBI. Nice to finally see that.

43. twentytwo22 says:

Nice job by McGehee with three walks and the GW hit.

44. Raise it and hello 1965 Buccos with the tied record for not giving up or scoring more than 5 runs in 16 games in a row.

Nice little come from behind – from ahead – from behind victory.

46. JRay3 says:

And Raise the Jolly Rodger! Good comeback win…could not muster much against Moyer but were able to tag the bullpen…nice start with two coming quickly tomorrow!

47. JRay3 says:

@ Bob – I believe Casey is showing enough to earn his AB’s but probably still a time share with Pedro who has been swinging a little better and Jones who has hit well to start…@ Milo – well said!

48. MadTurk says:

@ Milo
    “I think Clint Hurdle hates Garrett Jones.”

I was thinking the same thing when he pulled Jones for a pinch runner. Why waste a batter at this point in the game?

49. pattonbb says:

Fear the bones…..

50. RobertoForever says:

Offensive outburst tonight…as someone correctly predicted.

Barmes with 2 doubles and a clutch HR in the bottom of the 8th to answer the CarGo HR.

Presley and Tabata 4 for 8 at the top of the lineup.

Pirates pitchers with NO walks and 8 K’s. Pirates position players with 5 walks and only 1 strikeout. Great work by the offense and the pitching (minus 1 AB by 1 reliever)

Looking forward to the Bucs sweeping out the Rockies and Jim Tracy tomorrow.

#LetsGoBucs

Buccos now 4-3 at home and 5-5 in their last 10 games.

51. RobertoForever says:

PS – Pujols 0 for 4 again tonight.

Now on an 0 for 11 streak. Still no HR’s this year, batting .246 with .354 slugging.

Anyone else wondering if the curse of ‘El Hombre’ is plaguing Albert?

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back