On location: Pirates 5, Nationals 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (12-16) vs. Washington Nationals (18-10)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score. Beat writer Rob Biertempfel is on the prowl. I’m here, too, but I neglected to bring a bat. I’ll just have to write a column.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Casey McGehee, 1B
  6. Garrett Jones, RF
  7. Clint Barmes, SS
  8. Rod Barajas, C
  9. A.J. Burnett, RHP

Comments

1. I’m a little surprised at how quickly after his 10-game hitting streak ended that Presley is on the bench.

I guess Pirates need the power that Garrett Jones represents.

Ironic that Presley has one of Bucs’ last/most recent homeruns.

I do like Neil Walker in the 2-hole.

2. LuckyNKentucky says:

Joggin’ Ronnie sent to the minors yesterday with a .300 average, (9 for 30), 0, 3. Guess “they don’t need no stinking backup” with Weiters and Esposito around.

3. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I like this lineup. Neil would be a better fit in #2 and hopefully Cutch can play the whole game.

4. LuckyNKentucky says:

I thought “the home runs would come” and “we need to play small ball around speed, etc.” Looks like anything but a speed lineup except for Tabata and Cutch. I like the lineup, just not the touble-tongue stuff that leads up to it. Just get some punch in there and A.J. won’t have to pitch a shutout.

But, did you bring your catcher’s mitt?

6. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky- Sometimes you have to play “Earl Weaver” ball.

essentially though, that’s what the Pirates lineup is made of, the small ball concept.

You know, I look at this lineup 2-6, and there is no reason they shouldn’t be supplying some mantel and bookshelf decorations for folks in the outfield stands.

Get at it, boys. Go Bucs!

8. LuckyNKentucky says:

I agree, Ryan, and I like that concept, too, if we run the bases properly, play defense and overall intelligent ball, but 12-16 indicates something less at this point. I’m not complaining, I just remember those old, old days with the same lineup every day. Of course, most of you young folks don’t remember the 70′s.

9. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky- You’re right, I don’t remember the 70′s, I was born in ’77.

I still consider the Pirates of the 90′s played with the small ball concept as well. How many sac bunts did Jay Bell used to have a season? They didn’t only bunt in the late innings, if I recall correctly.

Granted, he had AVS, Barry Bonds, and Bobby Bonilla behind him. AMac, Pedro, and ???? are not exactly that caliber yet, but I do think they will get there.

10. gregenstein says:

@Groat – “I’m a little surprised at how quickly after his 10-game hitting streak ended that Presley is on the bench.”
    ——————————–
    I think this is mostly because, right now, Jones and McGehee both need to be in the lineup. Tabata and Presley get to rotate until McGehee or Jones goes cold. Not that McGehee has been great, but he’s been better than Tabata and Presley.

I’m guessing Alex will get the start tomorrow night against Detwiler with Jose back in to face Strasburg.

Good matchup for AJ to bounce back tonight. Pitchers should be able to go to work this series.

12. LuckyNKentucky says:

Ryan,

You’re the same age as my oldest child, but you’re right. And, Jay Bell was an excellent bunter. Fundamentals are still vital, but don’t seem to be as important. There is hope for this team, but some just have to perform. Thank God, it’s a long season and they’ll get their chance. I just don’t see some of these guys getting in any kind of groove without some continuity. Like Groat said, Presley has a hitting streak, then is pulled for a power bat. Clint sticks with Barmes and Barajas, but the young guys don’t seem to get that nod. I do like the 2-6 slots in today’s lineup for driving in some runs, like John said.

@Lucky

If Barmes or Barajas played the outfield, do you really think they’d be in the lineup?

14. RobertoForever says:

Hurdle reusing Saturday’s lineup. Let’s hope we reproduce the W from Sat night.

Need an opening game W in a series.

#LetsGoBucs

Will be following on mobile, while observing a highly ranked college team tonight. Hope the Buccos are good enough to distract from the live game.

15. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@NMR

If Barmes and Barajas were outfielders, they wouldn’t be on this team. Just sayin’

16. LuckyNKentucky says:

NMR,

I don’t care where they play, they need to produce. There’s no room for Mendoza-line hitters on this team, no matter how good a game the bench calls for Barajas or how much Hurdle likes Barmes. McKenry and Jordy Mercer can accomplish the same as B & B are and they’re young and need to be given their chance. As people, I like B & B, but we need production. They can run for mayor later.

17. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

The bunt has probably lost its way in teaching the fundamentals of baseball. Of course the pitchers need to know how to do it. I think Presley and Tabata are very good bunters though. I could see Tabata used in the Jay Bell capacity with the chance of him turning it into a hit.

#speedkills

Trying to craft a lineup from this group is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

19. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,

LOL. You mean it’s going down?

@Lucky

Trust me, I’m not defending Barmes and Barajas, I’m just pointing out that Hurdle shouldn’t be blamed for starting them when he has nobody to put in their place.

It’s a shame d’Arnaud is struggling to recover from that concussion. He was awful last year, but it mostly seemed to come from being overmatched at the big league level for the first time. Hopefully he can let his athleticism play next time he’s called up.

21. LuckyNKentucky says:

NMR,

I hear ‘ya. I think d’Arnaud in on the DL at Indy. I echo your sentiments on him.

22. LuckyNKentucky says:

I’m wrong for the first time in 5 minutes. Actually, Chase is active.

23. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I am a Chase fan also but, he was definetly overmatched last year. Jordy Mercer has been hot over the last week or so and I believe has moved up on the organizational depth chart at SS. Could either one of these guys really be worse than what we have?

24. LuckyNKentucky says:

Mercer is at .273, 2, 17 with one stolen base and he’s played in all 30 of Indy’s games so far. Chase has 2 AB’s on the season.

25. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I still say its too early. Give both Barajas and Barmes another month, then the Pirates will have to look into doing something different. If either/both get hot for a week, their avarages will rise quickly. Just look at Pedro for an example. Its easy to raise an average in the early parts of the season. Of course, they need to hit to do that.

I think that Barmes will get hot before Barajas.

26. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

Look at what Mercer has done recently. He started off slowly to begin the season, I think.

I hope AJ isn’t tempted to plunk Harper to ”welcome” him to PNC.

28. LuckyNKentucky says:

I understand the mis-leading aspect of AAA, believe me. Jo-Jo Reyes, of all people, threw a 9-inning shutout last night on only 99 pitches. He couldn’t even get an out in ST.

29. LuckyNKentucky says:

John,

If anyone would do it, it would probably be A.J. He has the guts, but probably is smart enough not to admit it.

30. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

They say there is a big difference between AAA and MLB. But I was just pointing out that .273 still seems low, but reports show he’s been on a bit of a tear lately. I’ll see what I can dig up.

31. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Jeff Clement is batting .293. Jake Fox can’t make an out at .381

32. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I’d rather take a Cole Hamels fastball instead of an A.J. Burnett one….ouchy

33. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Gonna open the window up early tonight.
    In honor of the return to town of the worst player in Pirates history, I present…..

Tonight’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Number of Adam LaRoche Strikeouts
    Line — 1.5

Anyone can play!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    JohninOshkosh +20
    Officer Mancuso +20
    RobertoForever EVEN
    Steve J Smith -20
    Milo Hamilton -20
    JRay3 -40

34. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I still have no clue on this Playoff

35. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Lucky

Either way, Jo-Jo is 5-0 with a 2.03 ERA. Not too shabby.

@Playoffs

OK, I’ll bite. Who is the worst player in Pirate history ?

37. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Milo

I believe he was referring to Adam LaRoche.

@Ryan

Yea, that’s what I thought. I guess averaging 23 homers & 87 RBI’s makes you the worst player in Pirates history. If I’m Garrett Jones, I’m ducking for cover.

39. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I don’t care what numbers anyone comes up with for LaRoche. He was by far the most aggravating, frustrating, comatose player I have ever seen. He was the epitome and embodiment of sheer apathy. I loathe him.

40. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Ryan

The OVER / UNDER is fake wagering. You would be “betting” that Laroche either stikes out more than 1.5 times or strikes out less than 1.5 times. The units would be the amount of your “wager.”

41. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Former Pirate and trade bait for Adam LaRoche, Mike Gonzalez signed with the Nats today.

@Playoffs

At least he could throw the ball to 2nd base.

43. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Units=money?

44. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Playoffs

I agree April through May he was, but then he caught fire after May.

I also agree that he was the most “aggravating, frustrating, comatose player I have ever seen.”

He was on medication for ADHD, probably why he was so “comatose”

Will MLB suspend Garrett Jones when/if he hits Bryce Harper in the back on a throw to 2nd base ?

46. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Catcher for the Rockies designated for assignment. Eliezer Alfonzo.

check out this line:

“Alfonzo has an impressive .319/.347/.777 line with 12 homers in 101 plate appearances at Triple-A Colorado Springs this year. He owns a .290/.332/.475 batting line in a minor league career that spans 15 seasons and has experience in six MLB campaigns, most recently with the 2011 Rockies.”

47. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Ryan

Units = fake money (this is all for fun)

Eliezer Alfonzo is suspended for the next 100 games due to testing positive for steroids twice.

48. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Milo

I just never liked him. Honestly, that’s all I can say. To me he just epitomized the losing mentality of this team.

49. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@playoffs

Nice save, i didn’t see that part in the report.

put me down for 20 for the under.

50. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Ryan, you got it. Good Luck!!

@Playoffs

My buddy has this sound he would make when LaRoche would swing & miss. That big long swing. You’d love it, kills me every time.

52. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Is that per game or series?

53. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Ryan

Just for tonight’s game

54. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

The Nats will now have 3 former LH Buccos in their Pen…….Gonzo, Gorzo, and Burno..i mean Burnett.

55. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Mark him down for a dinger too….4-4 game

Another month of Barajas and he’ll already be around the number of game he was expected to play at the start of the year.

Seriously though, is there any thought to that?

Nobody was expecting him to catch more than 100 games this year. Right now he’s on pace for 120.

Whats the harm in sitting him down and hoping his old bones heat up with the weather?

@Playoffs:

Book me for 10 bones on the over. I think AJ will get him chasing twice.

Can’t watch the game. Going to the Cincy/Mil game because a business associate has tickets. Is it possible for both teams to lose?

58. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@John

I like the way you think “Is it possible for both teams to lose?”

59. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@NMR

I think he’s left in the lineup hoping to get his bat hot….I have no other reason to explain it other than maybe the SP like his style or game calling…which is down from the dugout.

Greg Brown currently on The Fan. Clint Hurdle tells him the benching of Presley will continue as long as Jones & McGehee produce. Tabata will play left.

As an aside, I guess 3 RBI in 62 AB’s is producing. Presley’s giving you more than that.

61. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JohninOshkosh, you got it. Good Luck!!

62. AJS says:

–I hope AJ isn’t tempted to plunk Harper to ”welcome” him to PNC.–

Apparently you are allowed to intentionally hit a guy, just lie and say it was an accident and no one cares. MLB rewards lying and punishes the truth for the same basic infraction. Either that or they have declared retaliation is fine. Suspend them both or suspend neither. You can’t just punish the guy who was honest. Most messed up situation I have ever seen.

63. AJS says:

I don’t understand this logic of benching Presley. Are jones and McGehee really so important to the line up? You can’t even platoon Tabata and Presley for a left right match up situation? Last year when Presley was in the line up I thought he provided a little bit of a spark at the top of the line up. He stretched hits to extra bases and got in scoring position for Cutch and Walker. He has done so to a lesser extent this season without the production of runs because Walker was slumping so poorly. I just don’t see why you have to get Jones bat into any line up unless he starts hitting dingers like he did in his rookie campaign.

64. @Playoffs, I’ll go with 20 on the over to get back to even.

65. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Steve, you got it!! Good Luck!!

Surely he didn’t mean he was going to play Jones even against lefties, right Milo?

I’m not going to pretend like Presley has earned his spot. He’s been awful.

But he’s surely no worse than Jones in a L/L matchup.

67. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

NMR

That’s what McGehehehehe is for.

@NMR

I wouldn’t think so. The Nats are throwing 3 righties & frankly I don’t think too much of this is set in stone. Boy, you’re right about Presley. 25 K’s & 3 walks. And he looked like a ride at Kennywood chasing that ball in the left field corner Friday night.

@Ryan – Mcehee is alread playing 1st base while Jones plays outfield. Thats two positions, not a platoon.

@Milo – Tabata, Walker, Alvarez, Jones, Presley…which one doesn’t belong?

Trick question. They all regressed in their sophomore seasons.

I think Hamels throwing at Harper was stupid, but at least he had the balls to own up to it.

Rizzo calls him gutless, yet his own pitcher obviously pegged Hamels and hasn’t said a word.

This whole situation is so ridiculously overblown. Everybody is up in arms about Hamels, yet never even mentions Zimmerman. He did the same friggin’ thing.

Ya can’t hit a guy intentionally. Take a seat. But spare me the injury talk.

71. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Pitchers have been throwing at batters since baseball started. This is nothing new. Nolan Ryan admited he did it often, especially when a batter crowded the plate. I think Hamels took a “old school” approach. I find that part to be a surprise coming from a guy that seems nothing like an old school type of player. Its really not that big of a deal IMHO. He did it right, didn’t throw at his head.

72. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Anyone else want in??

Tonight’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Number of Adam LaRoche Strikeouts
    Line — 1.5

Anyone can play!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    JohninOshkosh +20
    Officer Mancuso +20
    RobertoForever EVEN
    Steve J Smith -20
    Milo Hamilton -20
    JRay3 -40

I see people still buy into the myth on Adam L–OK–for the 157th time

May 2007–.283, 2 HR, 16 RBI

May 2008 .257 5 HR 19 RBI

April 2009 .269 5 HR 14 RBI

He never hit well in both months but hit well in one of the first two two months every season with Pirates.

74. Since MLB likes to start thinking about the All-Star Game in Spring Training these days, the question I’ll pose in the last 15 minutes before first pitch is who is the Bucs lone All-Star so far? IMHO, I feel there are not many: Cutch, Hammer, Grilli, or maybe even JMac. I don’t think anyone else has really done much to deserve it. Maybe the case can be made now for Alvarez, but I don’t know. Mine would likely be Cutch from the list above. What do you all think?

@JAL

Thank you.

76. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Steve

You can add Bedard to that list as well, though his record doesn’t prove it.

If Pedro continues the way he’s going, he could be a strong push, but the BA might keep him down.

77. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

JAL

So what we all remember was similar to what Pedro did this spring??

For some reason I remember him batting .180 throughout April/May, then turning it on.

I always liked Adam as a Pirate. Except for the beginning

By the way, Mike Rizzo has been fined by MLB for his tirade on Cole Hamels. I would expect Jim Bowden to pick up at least half that fine because as we’ve learned here today, Rizzo is obviously incapable of coming up with that on his own.

79. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Rumor had it that Rizzo would be fined and should be. A GM can express his displeasure, but show some class/professionalism while doing so.

80. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Our conversations today are so lame, that DK hasn’t bothered popping in and posting a few himself….always like that when he does, even if he shoots down one of my opinions….which is rare.

DK: Ryan, I do officially hereby shoot down your opinion!

81. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good one, Milo.

82. pattonbb says:

Pedro? Seriously? I mean, nobody wants the guy to do well more than I, but he’s had two good weeks and we’re already trying to call him an all-star? I don’t see it. Not this year.

I think Hanrahan or Cutch will be our lone rep. Hope I’m wrong about that, and Pedro actually.

DK: I predict Hanrahan, possibly Bedard. Cutch needs to go on a tear.

83. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

DK

Nice!

84. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@pattonbb

Potentially Pedro could if continues on the course that he’s on, but no means do I think he is the lone All Star on this team.

Cutch, we’ll see. If he truely was sick, then it makes sense of his recent play. I find it more of somewhat lazy.

Hanny, truely a man amongst boys.

85. Playoffs by 2012 says:

lame

[leym] adjective, lam·er, lam·est, verb, lamed, lam·ing, noun

adjective
    1. crippled or physically disabled, especially in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.
    2. impaired or disabled through defect or injury: a lame arm.
    3. weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.
    4. Slang . out of touch with modern fads or trends; unsophisticated.

verb (used with object)
    5. to make lame or defective.

noun
    6. Slang . a person who is out of touch with modern fads or trends, especially one who is unsophisticated.

person
    7. Adam LaRoche

DK: .311 — LaRoche’s average.

Rally Killer B’s this inning.

87. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

A.J. with 3 strikeouts after 2 innings.

Pedro strikes out with 2 on.

Glad to see NW coming around.

88. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

LOL and that’s how lame we’ve gotten, defining the word lame.

89. Playoffs by 2012 says:

By the way, did that LaRoche strikeout bring back any memories?? I know it did for me.

90. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Do you mean Barajas’s?

Someone should have kidnapped Wilson Ramos before the game. Too soon ?

I’d like to be a fly on the wall for a conversation between Wilson Ramos & Frank Sinatra Jr.

Some well hit balls by Pirates but not hits

Bombs Away in Pittsburgh PA.

95. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Nice, I’m watching through the MLB gamecast, slow and delayed.

2 Bombs by Cutch and Jones. I’ll take it!

2 HR in one inning–Pirates now moved above Nats with 20 on the season, Nats at 19. Still a lot of game to go

98. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Does that include the one hit earlier by the Nats?

99. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Garrett Jones on track to hit 22 HRs. Is that really that bad of a deal for the Pirates?

I’m a big fan of GJ and want to see him stick with the Pirates, but he seems to be a rather streaky hitter.

@Ryan

I’m still trying to figure out why he wasn’t playing Sunday. I know, they needed Casey McGehee’s 3 RBI’s in there.

101. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Well, they do need a break from time to time and other guys need to get going. But I agree, at this point, I think he needs to be in there everyday. Was Sunday against a lefty? If so, then he needs the break because he just looks aweful against a lefty.

@Ryan

A righty pitched on Sunday. As long as he’s doing well, he needs to play every day against right handed pitching. And I do realize we’re not talking about Ted Williams here.

103. bob hasis says:

Not only can’t Barmes hit, he just showed you the exact wrong way to field that ball (he had time to get behind it), but he then offers up a weak low throw. Such pathos!
    Great scoop by McGehee, otherwise Bryce would have been on the move.

104. @Ryan and @DK, thanks for bringing up Bedard. I forgot about him. He has been good if not great. If he had even the remote look of offensive support, he would have about 2-3 more wins at least. If it were a starter, then it would be him over JMac. I still think Cutch would be it as long as he is still hitting. The bomb tonight was a great start. He totally crushed that pitch.

105. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Oh I agree Milo…if its a righty he does need to be in there.

Outstanding bounce back performance by A.J. Burnett.

107. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

10ks and 2 ERs for A.J. Can’t beat that.

Ryan

Yes, it includes the one hit by the Nats–both teams had 18 coming into the game

AJ was on tonight and that was enjoyable to watch. Worked the plate like an artist.

No. They’re not booing. They’re saying Boo-rajas.

111. Take advantage!!!

112. Nice Sac fly by Walker. Add on Cutch!

113. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Clutch by Walker…….

114. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Let’s Go Pedro! Vote for Pedro?!

115. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Or not……

116. Two Ks tonight by Pedro with men on 1st and 2nd. The first one was not good as the pitch was right down the middle of the plate – can’t take that pitch with a runner in scoring position and two strikes. Come on Hammer papa needs a K of LaRoche and a flag raising!

117. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Double play instead of K. Daddy needs a new car!!!

118. At this point I’ll take the DP since Joel can’t find the strikezone.

119. Way to suck tonight Joel.

120. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Opps…….that sucks. I did call a dinger though, just bad timing.

121. pattonbb says:

Lame…

Now you have a reason to dislike LaRoche

That what you get- karma–too much Adam bashing earlier.

@JAL

Beat me to it.

124. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Makes me hate him even more…..Where was that the 3 awful years you were here?

125. Playoffs by 2012 says:

So bitter right now……

126. pattonbb says:

At least it wasn’t a cheap one.

58 home runs in 2 and a half years = awful ?

128. Playoffs by 2012 says:

DK,

Would you want LaRoche back on the Pirates??

129. pattonbb says:

JAL – tied at 20.

130. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Milo

Everyone keeps talking about his numbers when he was here, but what did he ever accomplish? The guy was good for 100+ strikeouts and at least 150+ left on base. He was a friggin statue out there. I seriously can’t believe there are that many of you that can defend him.

@Playoffs

Have I mentioned outstanding defensively yet ?

132. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Presley better not hang out at 1B for that much longer.

133. pattonbb says:

Playoffs- If you dislike LaRoche because of those SO and LOB numbers, you’re really going to have problems with Pedro.

The guy was a solid ballplayer while here. If Pedro had his numbers, we’d be trying to vote him into an all-star game.

134. Now is the time for Barajas to FINALLY SO SOMETHING!!!

135. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Thank you Henry Rodriguez…….put the ball in play Navarro

136. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

or not

137. Eric Bowser says:

OMG, Barajas finally is worthwhile

138. About flippin’ time Rod!!!!

BOO-RAJAS !!

140. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

HOLY CRAP! HOLY CRAP!

Pirates retake the lead with 21

142. pattonbb says:

What?!?! Are you kidding me?? Barajas?

FEAR THE BONES!!!!!

143. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

lol @ JAL

I almost said something about taking the lead back……..but we did enough jinxing earlier.

144. likeabugonarug says:

Barajas comes through!! Way to pick up your closer.

And also the world is now a little less dark as the flys go down in 5. Couldn’t happen to a nicer team. Even better is how the Devils got the winning goal in the first period. Bryz was in his crease and tried to pass to a teammate in the circle. Instead, he ended up hitting the leg/stick of a Devil cutting in front of him. Puck goes 5 hole, off the far post and IN!

Of course, it does make you more sick as to why the Pens couldn’t play like this against the flys.

145. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Adam LaRoche does not get Game Winning Hits. You saw it again tonight. I’m still dumbfounded how many of you have a fondness for him, but to each his own I guess. GO BUCS!!

The UNDER pays tonight. Thanks to everyone for playing. See you tomorrow night.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) +20
    Officer Mancuso +20
    JohninOshkosh +10
    RobertoForever EVEN
    Milo Hamilton -20
    Steve J Smith -40
    JRay3 -40

146. RobertoForever says:

Oh, I missed checking the blog during the game, but I correctly predicted what would be here.

More attacking of the Pirates players and praising Nats and former Pirates.

I LOVED that it was Barajas who delivered.

And Milo followed up the walk-off win with praise?? Nope – a slam on Barajas.

Congrats to the Buccos, and to Ryan, for not giving into to all the bitterness and Pirate bashing. Ryan, as a fan, you never give up on your team, even when they seem to be down. Keep up the spirit and don’t let them wear you down.

Raise the Jolly Roger! Bucs take the first game of the series, and our pitching acquisition (Burnett) outdueled the short-sighted Edwin Jackson tonight!

Beat ‘em again tomorrow Bucs!

147. RobertoForever says:

@playoffs –

I am with you. I saw Adam LaRoche strike out waaaaay too many times in critical situations. And the only person who hits more useless HR’s (in 5-1 games the team is winning or losing) than Adam hit while he was here…..is Alex Rodriguez. So many HR’s they both have are of the non-consequential variety.

I’m guessing you mean inconsequential ?

149. RobertoForever says:

Sorry, but Adam LaRoche WAS terrible in the first half with Pittsburgh.

1st half stats of Adam LaRoche

2007 – .239 BA, 82 K’s, 38 BB’s, OPS .763, GIDP 12
    2008 – .251 BA, 73 K’s, 37 BB’s, OPS .764, GIDP 6
    2009 – .250 BA, 76 K’s, 41 BB’s, OPS .784, GIDP 7

All of the stats were at least 50 pts below his second half numbers.

His first month with the Pirates he batted WORSE than Barajas. .133 BA, 30 K’s. His June in 2007 was .238 BA and 27 K’s. If Milo had been on this blog commenting then, he would have had 1,000 negative comments about Adam. But somehow, Adam gets defended now. Hmm.

Adam’s April 2008 – 174 BA, 28 K’s and 1 HR, 5 RBI from our power first baseman.

Adam LaRoche single-handedly had more to do with sinking the Buccos hopes early in every season he was here than any other player. Folks have short memories, as they call now for Pedro to be demoted with his struggles, but Adam was making $5 million and $7 million and producing terribly the first half of every year. Who cares if you hit 18 HR’s in the second half if your team is 15 games out of first place by June 1st?

150. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Roberto

You’re preaching to the choir here brother. The biggest thing that bothered me with LaRoche while he was on the Pirates was that the talent and skill was there, but it never came out when it mattered most. When he would strike out with two out and runners on there was never any emotion. There was no visible fire, no obvious desire to go to the next level. He would just casually stroll back to the dugout. Absolutely drove me nuts. But thankfully those days are long gone. He’s someone else’s problem now.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle