Final: Cutch 4, Tigers 3

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (18-21) vs. Detroit Tigers (19-20)

Time: 4:05 p.m.

Site: Comerica Park, Detroit

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score. Rob Biertempfel brought a bat.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Detroit LHP Drew Smyly

1. Jose Tabata, RF
  2. Josh Harrison, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Neil Walker, DH
  6. Rod Barajas, C
  7. Casey McGehee, 1B
  8. Yamaico Navarro, LF
  9. Clint Barmes, SS

RHP A.J. Burnett is starting for the Pirates.

Comments

1. RobertoForever says:

Let me get all the negativity out of the way first -

Nutting is cheap
    FC couldn’t preside over a 6-yo beauty contest
    NH couldn’t pick out a talented hitter to save his life
    Barajas can’t hit and he is slower than molasses
    BarmEs couldn’t field a question if he was the only one in the room
    alvarez is an overmatched bust
    Walker shouldn’t bat anywhere but 8th and he only hits long fly outs
    Tabata couldn’t catch a fly if it flew in his mouth
    McGehee needs more hehe in his name, cuz he’s a joke of a hitter.
    Clint Hurdle couldn’t manage his way out a paperbag
    The 3rd base coach is terrible, but who could tell since no baserunners get there.

whew – now let’s move on to some realistic talk.

DK: So, only a positive discussion of the Pirates is realistic?

I guess if you don’t like the way this franchise is headed or playing or being run

You are not a Pirates fan?

Sorry, then you just don’t get it Roberto

3. LuckyNKentucky says:

Roberto,

If you make it to KY this summer like you said you might, I’d love to get together with you and drink of few Ale 8′s (soft drinks) and discuss the finer spiritual things in life–things not for this blog. You seem like a nice guy and are very astute at times, but your disdain for Milo and ones like him is not understandable to some of us. Why start the day with that pile of crap? As far as the Pirates, your love for mediocrity (18-21 is mediocre minus) is not understandable either. Most of us are sick to vomitting of this last 20 years of garbage-sick of it- and it needs to change. Not mediocrity–realistic, championship “yes, we’re Pirtate fans” major league baseball needs to be played–now.

Come on, don’t be shy sign up

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City
    Canada – Toronto
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park, Denver
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford
    Costa Rica
    Delaware. Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Lincoln Park, Chicago
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park
    New York – New York, Smithtown
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin
    The Philipines
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    South Korea – Seoul
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield, Virginia Beach, Fairfax
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville

177 locations represented in the blog,
    5/19/2012 2:09 PM

Playoffs in 2012, 20 on the over, whatever the bet is, am getting sucked into going furniture shopping (well, not sucked in, you know what I mean)

Consider my bet a “quick pick” ;-)

5. JRay3 says:

If only postistive discussion were allowed we might be mute many nights. @ Roberto I see some truths in your rant # 1, 2, 3, and parts of 4 and 5….the others not so much. Anybody attempting to put a positive spin on last night is unrealistic. If I had dollar for every time I hear we faced a great pitcher, tip my hat to the guy on the mound he was just hitting his spots, etc. I would have more money than Mr. Worst Owner in Pro Sports Nutting.

Realisitic is good teams find ways to compete and hit good pitchers as there are quite a few in the game today. How sad is it when everybody knows going into a game we have no chance and the likelihood of being overmatched and shutdown is high. This is MLB it is about results we do not get a trophy for “trying”.

6. Playoffs by 2012 says:

An early start for the Bucs means an early start for the window.

Tonight’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Innings Pitched by AJ Burnett
    Line is 6.5
    (If AJ Burnett gets 2 outs in the 7th inning then the OVER wins, anything less than that the UNDER wins)

Anyone can play!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    jeffsbar +20
    cosmo +20
    pattonbb -40
    JohninOshkosh -40
    JRay3 -80

7. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Bizrow, going in blind, love it. Good Luck!!

8. RobertoForever says:

@Lucky – what is the difference from whay I posted in 1 post, and what was posted in more than 30 different posts yesterday.

And I have to give Milo credit – during the game, he was posting many of the same things I would have, if I had not been out and about last night.

I have seen a team I rooted for no-hit, and hated every pitch of it.

But going from agonizing over that to unadultered hate – sorry, but I don’t get “that”

9. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – you are tough… Either Burnett reaches that mark or if he implodes it will be early in my estimation. Tired of seeing me carry the bottom so going big 80 on the over! Let’s get it done AJ! Thx.

10. LuckyNKentucky says:

JRay3,

It is sad. 24/7 tweeted last night, BEFORE the game that this might be the first time ever a no-hitter was actually predicted or a possibility or some such thing. Usually, they just happen, but not last night. Thank God for JHay.

11. RobertoForever says:

Dejan,

yes, you summed up my post so well.

Actually. No, that is not what I was saying at all.

But how about this. How about a discussion of the factors of the game. There were a million posts about how bad Barajas was at the beginning of the year, up through when he was actually hitting.

But now that he is hitting, what is posted? ……………..crickets.

I love discussing the Pirates, good and bad. But why should I rip them for much, when there are 50 posts, over-ripping them.

12. RobertoForever says:

Dejan – here’s a topic -

What did you think of CB Buckner’s umping in the game last night?

Fair? Unfair? Consistent? Inconsistent? Rooting for a no-hitter as much as 24/7 and the whole press box?

13. JRay3 says:

@ Lucky – I would like to echo “thank God for JHay” because all I could think about was great for the next 24 hours every sports outlet will be showing the ineptitude of the Pirates further cementing the perception of this team to those who do not follow.

There are positives from last night, just not from the plays of the game–no injuries always a positive in any sport.

As for the game itself, only some lesser negatives–for example they struck out 12 times (bad) instead of 20 (awful) :)

15. LuckyNKentucky says:

Roberto,

If you come to KY, let us know on the blog, seriously. I’ll give you my cell # and my e-mail address. I’d like to meet you. Can’t pass you off as some idiot like some of the others we’ve seen come and go on here. There’s something about you that makes people want to like you, like Jandy yesterday, correcting you. You are probably a young person and you need to look at it from the view of some of us old timers.

Going to see The Avengers with my sons this afternoon. Pull out a W for us, please. Have a great one. And Playoffs, if I was a betting preacher, I’d go for the over tonight.

16. JMB says:

Ok, realistically how many of these guys would legitimately start for the majority of MLB teams?

Cutch & maybe Walker.

My new meme is the failure to land Pence embodies everything wrong with this FO.

NH’s poor drafts have not flooded the org with talent. The FO didnt have the quality of 38th, 8th, and 9th rounder to give up for Pence. The FO didnt want to be tied to $10mm in arb payments for 2012 & 2013 because they are unwilling to invest in winning.

NH’s bad trades, bad drafts, and team’s unwillingness to take on a $10mm per year position player have doomed this offense to the 30th ranked OPS in baseball (.611), 30th ranked OBP (.269), and 30th in runs scored (111). FACTS & REALITY.

I dont think this team can even claim “We tried” since they didnt really try for Pence. You get Pence last yr, and you get Trumbo this year, and the Pirates have at least a top 20 offense: not the worst in all of baseball.

17. LuckyNKentucky says:

JAL, the voice of reason, as always.

18. RobertoForever says:

@JMB

Weret Barajas and Barmes starters last year? How about McGehee? Jones would be a starter on about 50% of teams, maybe more. Pedro on 90% of teams would be a starter.

Seriously, if you look at starting 3B in every place except the top 7 or 8 payrolls, there is a dearth of power. Its ugly.

Start with the Twins. They have been looking for a power-hitting 3B internally and externally for like 8 years. Tough to get one.

19. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JRay, the window loves your ALL IN attitude. Good Luck!!

Lucky, keep the faith brother :)

20. RobertoForever says:

@Lucky,

I will take you up on it, later this year. Would love to meet. And if you ever come to Chapel Hill, I can show you around, including the ball field where they filmed Bull Durham. Some great baseball history there.

21. Reading says:

Give Gorkys a shot! If you are going to call him up, let him play.

22. bob hasis says:

Just look at today’s pathetic line-up, it is no better than Friday, just slightly different.
    So as not to be accused of second-guessing later, the presence of Pedro at clean-up (lefty against lefty) will hurt us today. He wasn’t hitting for more than a week, so I presume Hurdle fantacized today will be different.
    Play him if you must, but bat him sixth. Mcgehee would be my choice for clean-up.

To our beloved Roberto, you do not have a monopoly on negativety. We can take the same names you used and find several others reasons that show ineptitude.
    You are a true Pirate fan for which no one will criticize, but please allow truth and realism into your world as relates to the Pirates.

Warmest regards and best wishes to all serving here and abroad on this Armed Forces Day. As Sgt. Olson recently reminded us all, woe, indeed, is our great nation if we ever start failing to produce women and men like yourselves.

I believe the two teams will be wearing throw back unis this afternoon to honor the Negro Leagues. Always fun.

24. JRay3 says:

@ Roberto – for the record I enjoy your contributions, research and your overly optimistic view humors me immensely. As for Barajas a lot of us were critical when in the first month of the year he made little contributions….of late many have started to question not getting his bat in there like last night and are quick to point out his torrid stretch as well as celebrate it while it has occurred including myself. And I commented last night how unprofessional CB Bucknor was in my opinion.

Let’s Go Bucs! Bring home a W fellow fans off to celebrate the little ones birthday!

25. RobertoForever says:

Also, with respect to people “predicting no–hitters”

They were wrong. If they had bet, they would have lost.

Did I expect a Pirates win last night. Not at all. Was I expecting a no-hitter. Please, nothing I would have let anyone bet on. McCutchen and McGehee both had good history (as much as 4 AB’s can be) against Verlander.

but he did just 2-hit the Oakland A’s. That’s why @Playoffs Over/Under was so good ( and usually is) at 5 baserunners – Not expecting much when any team goes against Verlander or Halladay. PS – Any pitchers with 2 no-hitters, CY Youngs and League MVPs are top of the class. Not going out on the limb there.

But if in the off-chance the Pirates had beaten Verlander last night, there would be crickets on the blog. That’s what seems out of balance to me. If I were a long-suffering fan and my team beat up on good pitchers, why not whoop it up.

In this environment, the approach that this FO is taking is the only approach. But they seem to be not executing very well. Not much worse than KC or Min. But that won’t get it done. But it doesn’t mean the approach is wrong. So I applaud the invest in pitching approach. And for me, it means I accept that we will be on the losing end of a lot more 1-0, 3-0, 2-1 games, than we will winning 6-3 or 10-5. Expectations. If you are looking for a lot of hitting this year, or next year, or the year after – it won’t be there. And if the Pirates want to be competitive in this MLB environment, they will continue to approach it that way. Just like Cleveland, Minnesota, KC, TB, Baltimore , San Diego and Oakland.

26. RobertoForever says:

@Jray

You did comment at the time about how bad CB was. Kudos to you.

I was watching on my phone, so I have learned not to trust it.

You may not want to go to this link, cuz it will probably incense you. But Verlander was on the benefit end of 9 strike calls on balls that were outside. He was on the receiving end of 7 balls that were called, but were in the strike zone.

And if you look at Morton’s first inning and wonder why he got hit hard? Its because he had 4 strikes that were called balls. And he had to essentially start throwing right in the middle of the plate to get a strike. As a pitcher, it has to be hard to miss bats when stikes on the outside and bottom third of the plate will not get you a strike call.

Here is Ground Chuck’s 1st inning.

Please don’t anyone think I am saying the Bucs win, if CB Buckner had called the rule-book strike zone. Just saying, that there is a lot more to a game than the play-by-play and the highlights. Who knows what happens in a properly called game. And Walker was right – his called third strike was ball 4.

@Playoffs:

AJB is a battler and he is facing a fellow Arkansasian (?), so he will want to look especially good.

I’ll take 40 on the over to try to get back to even.

BTW, this kid, Smyly, is no hack himself.

28. JMB says:

We are almost a qtr through the season, and this offense is on pace to score 450 runs.

By comparison the 2008 team scored 735, even after being gutted in July.

The equally gutted 2012 A’s are on pace to score 600 this year. Even the DH doesnt make up that much of difference.

29. RobertoForever says:

@bob hasis

You are right on that – Pedro should not have been promoted so quickly. He deserved his time in the 6 hole to establish himself. If NH’s acquired clean-up hitter (McGehee) can’t handle it, let McGehee struggle. Throwing Pedro in the 4-hole is a mistake.

And I also think Hurdle’s tinkering goes too far. Jones should be playing 1B against every RHP. In the times that he has been made the everyday 1B, he performs 80 or 90 points better than when he is being moved here and there and then out of the lineup 1/3rd of the time. I think managers get less from players when there is uncertainty every day about what a players role will be when they show up. It could be rearranging the deck chairs, or actually hurting what chance they do have to hit .250 as a team.

30. bob hasis says:

May I offer up a little history to cheer up the mood;
    From about 1955 when the other Roberto began to flex his muscles we – The Pirates – were a fun and interesting team.
    In 1959 Harvey Haddix pitched his 12-inning PERFECT Game (no tv of course).

That same year Elroy Face compiled an 18-0 record (mostly on vulture wins, meaning coming in the game in the eighth or ninth for a save but instead yielded a tying or go-ahead run, only to have the Pirates win it in the next inning for which he received the W). He was terrific; I think he started a game or two and won that way as well, but when he strutted out of the bullpen (and believe me he had a defiant, confident swagger) we fans felt good and were rarely disappointed. His record for that year was 18-1 losing his only game in LA to a Wally Moon “screeno homer” over a 259 ft deep fence in the Colisseum.I was at that game!

From 1960 Maz’s year, until 1992 it was an absolute pleasure to go and watch them play.

We were rarely outclassed, rarely over-matched, sure we lost games, but the sense was we were always in it until the last out.

Those were the days!

31. piratemike says:

Bizrow,

how do you signup?

32. RobertoForever says:

@piratemike

Just tell Bizrow where you are from. He will then update it and start including your hometown.

I think he went out with his better half today, so he may not be back until late.

33. Reading says:

When the Pirates don’t make the World Series this year, the fans who can remember 1979 can be proud of setting a record for waiting the longest time between World Series appearances- at least 34 years if they make the series next year, breaking 33 year drought from 1927-1960. Congrats everybody!

34. RobertoForever says:

@playoffs

Another great O/U from the window. I got Bucknered last night (jk, but maybe)

I still think AJ is a battler and will get at least 2 outs in the 7th.

So give me 25 on the over. Could be 2-1 game this afternoon.

35. Reading says:

In other words, at season’s end, we will officially be the most oppressed generation of fans in franchise history.

36. RobertoForever says:

@Reading

Pirates fans have nothing on the Cubs fans – 68 years between WS appearances and counting.

37. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bob

I agree with most of what you said. However, the Pirates in the 1980′s, during the drug scandal, had some abysmal teams.

38. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Roberto, you got it. Good Luck!!

39. bob hasis says:

Playoffs you are of course correct. I was trying to encompass 37 years of competitive ball against the dalliances of ownership and management we have endured since 1992.

40. JMB says:

Cutch!

41. PigLegs Robinson says:

I’d like to continue looking at Dejan’s excellent summation yesterday that the Pirates are terrible hitting evaluators.
    How does a problem like this continue to be allowed by the team’s owner?
    Why is there never any accountability for this?
    At what point will steps be taken to fix this longtime problem? Has anything even been attempted yet?
    Why has this problem not been made a ‘first priority’ when it affects so much?
    So many questions and so few answers from the ownership.

I think it goes a long way to explaining why the Pirates always say “we must build a winning team with pitching”. It’s because they couldn’t build a winning team on hitting if their lives depended on it. They don’t have the brains.
    (and they havent shown themselves to have the brains to build a winning team on pitching either, as we have witnessed for the past 25 years).

42. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bob

I gotcha, no worries.

43. JMB says:

BiertempfelTrib
    #Pirates could’ve drafted #Tigers LHP Smyly in 2nd rd 2010. Instead, they took Stetson Allie, who’s back in extended spring

Things are bad for NH when one of his more sympathetic FO reporters is questioning draft picks.

44. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Does Allie have a downward plane and projectable stuff?

45. RobertoForever says:

@JMB

24/7 is sympathetic to the FO?

They must have changed the definition of sympathetic.

46. RobertoForever says:

Way to battle back, AJ.

Lets take on some more on this ‘phenom’. How much of a Phenom can he be if he cant get outs against the worst batting lineup in 20 years.

47. RobertoForever says:

*Lets tack on

48. bob hasis says:

PigLegs@41 (may I call you PL), I would like to provide an opinion which may be an answer to your five questions.
    1 The team owner doesn’t know a bunt from a balk, but reads dollar signs like an IRS agent.

2.Accountability, Harry Truman proclaimed “the buck stops here”, while president, and was prepared to be responsible. Can the same be said of Pirate management, when their only accountability is with their accountant. Leadership, good decision making, ability to recognize a problem and eliminate it seems a part of accountability.

3. They have boasted about improved scouting for five years, so where are the results. We got a left-handed reliever instead of a starting catcher in one draft. Money and the inability by a GM et al to deal with a difficult agent maybe the problem there.

4. How about hiring some baseball minds with experience as coaches and teachers especially in the minors, instead of “friends of the family”. Someone who can teach plate discipline, how to read a pitch, where the strike zone is and HOW TO BUNT!

5. How about some significant personal investment to show you really care, instead of simply using generated revenues to run the operation. Get your feet wet and nose bloodied a little; put your own money on the line, that would surely create a sense of urgency to succeed. In other words, have your own dog entered in the race – not just ours.

49. Black n Gold (not yellow) says:

Stetson Allie was considered a first round pick and a tough sign. No one took him previous to the Pirates for a similar reason that forced Josh Bell to fall to the second round. I love all of the arm chair GM’s pretending like they wouldn’t have drafted a 20 year old who can throw 99+ mph for a system that needed arms. Not to mention the fact that the incessant, irrational whining (obviously not a reference to everyone) makes it really hard take any of those opinions seriously.

Oh, and the Pirates offensive issues might just have something to do with the fact that 29 of the 40 starting pitchers they have opposed possess an ERA below the league average of 3.87. 20 of those have an ERA under 3.0 with 13 having an ERA below 2.5.

And the 18-21 record is pretty freakin’ solid considering… They’ve played 19 games against teams in the top 10 in staff ERA in MLB and 28 games against the top 10 in staff ERA in the National League. They’ve played 20 games against teams in the top 10 in MLB in team batting average and 27 games against teams in the top 10 in the NL in team batting average.

8 of the 12 opponents have winning records. And, cumulatively, Pirates opponents have a combined winning percentage of .586.

I’m sure someone will have a smart comment regarding my post. Reason and statistics usually receive some sort of hateful retort online. Who you play usually has something to do with the results in sports and the Pirates schedule has been BRUTAL…just saying.

50. Dave G says:

Cutch is ROCKIN’!!!

51. Dave G says:

Cutch is rockin’!

52. RobertoForever says:

BOOM

Mr Smyly – Meet one of the hottest hitters in the major leagues! WTG Clutch!

Maybe you’ll get some more national run. Clutch for MVP.

53. Eric Bowser says:

In case you didn’t know Andrew McCutchen is a really good player.

54. Black n Gold (not yellow) says:

Is it really that hard to understand that the Pirates were under different management when they drafted Moskos over Weiters?

I keep seeing this reference as if Huntington, Coonelly, et al. had anything to do with it. THEY DID NOT! Look it up.

55. RobertoForever says:

@Black n Gold

Great stats you have there. Maybe we really ARE facing the best pitchers most nights.

56. RobertoForever says:

And those weak Pirate bats just handed Drew Smyly his worst start of his young career.

Tack it on against this bullpen, fellas!

57. Black n Gold (not yellow) says:

Thanks Roberto. Cutch is as hot as it gets right now. Barajas has rebounded impressively in May too. .313, 3 doubles, 3 HR, 5 RBI, .990 OPS. I’d be happy with his career averages and his usually strong defense but that will work for a while.

58. JMB says:

Pro sports are about results, and excuses are like a______, ummm, noses.

“Reason and stats? Irrational whining?”

Stats — 30th ranked OPS in baseball (.611), 30th ranked OBP (.269), and 30th in runs scored (111)

Whining — The schedule is so very hard. (Today’s excuse) It’s all DL’s fault (The excuse in Sept., and the rest of year.)

NH did the best he could. His drafts need more time to develop. (The excuse in November). We will be good in ________(insert year here that is three years away).

The guys the Phillies sent for Pence were late round draft picks in 08 and 09. NH’s inept drafting is why this team has no hitting prospects – along with his botching of the Sano signing.

Hope the Harrison/McCutchen show gets renewed :)

60. RobertoForever says:

@JMB

No answer to my question earlier? Many more major league starters on this team than you will admit?

61. Eric Bowser says:

Prior to today, McCutchen has had 41 at-bats and 11 RBI with a runner on base this season. That’s .268 RBI per AB with runner on. Last year, he had .359 RBI per AB.

The Pirates really need to get more out of the first and second spot in the lineup and hope McCutchen can get his RBI rate up to last year’s level or the insanely good rate for this year’s Josh Hamilton stat line with 37 RBI/63 AB, .587

62. RobertoForever says:

Hard to believe that was AJ’s first K of the day. Its probably been a while since he had 0 strikeouts.

Btw – I hate all the baserunners we waste. I keep waiting for improvement but I am not seeing any.

63. JMB says:

We arent going to agree RF.

“How many of these guys would legitimately start for the MAJORITY of MLB teams?”

I dont see Barmes as a legit starter for the majority of teams in 2012.

Barajas has heated up, so he is one.

McGehee & Jones –no way.

Pedro 90%? I dont think so, but he prolly is over 50%.

64. T.S. says:

DK, would love to see you write an article about Gregg Ritchie and his ineptitude as a hitting coach.

This guy is right on the money:

DK: Just wrote about Ritchie two weeks ago in a column.

JAL

No post about the UEFA championship?
    I’m disappointed, good sir. :-)

BTW, l’ll Have Another won the Preakness and has a shot at Triple Crown. Great Horse.

piratemike, just post where you are currently residing

Thanks!

67. Eric Bowser says:

So much for thinking Pedro Alvarez had turned the corner, no homers since May 3. That’s 54 plate appearances w/ 7BB, 6H, & 22 K – ugly

68. JRay3 says:

Well I see another game where Cutch has to carry the team on his back….McGehee unable to get the bunt down and than promptly strikes out…McOut shows he brings nothing with another pitiful AB…this team has to learn to get runners in from 3rd less than 2 outs. Need the bullpen to finish this off.

69. JRay3 says:

Interesting that Clint flip flopped Grilli and Cruz today for 7th and 8th inning duty.

70. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates need a 1B and OF with OPS numbers above .900 and at some point, Pedro Alvarez needs to hit that corner and turn.

71. JRay3 says:

Will take that DP! Let’s add on here in the last frame.

72. bob hasis says:

BlacknGold@#53

We are talking about a composite of management teams, one being as bad as the other for a period of 20 years.
    Whichever name you choose to plug in is fine, they all show the same ability or lack thereof.

The over-riding theme has been to avoid spending the necessary amount of money to succeed with getting the necessary players, via draft, trade, free agency or purchase.

Do we know who decides – finally – on anything? Maybe ownership decided against Weiters, all that we know as fans is he should be wearing a Pirate uniform, but “circumstances” did not allow that to occur.

You say they were under different management, were they under different ownership?

You took the liberty of isolating one item to critique; I’m talking about 20 years worth of failure.

How many AGM’s are there, and how many assistants do they have? Every winter I read a new assistant was added for one thing or another, so I know we are well staffed in the office and admin department.

Where are the soldiers?

73. bob hasis says:

I’m sitting here typing and Brownie says, “and Barmes goes down on strikes”. Go figure, what a shock.
    Oh that’s right, he was acquired this year by THIS GM

74. JRay3 says:

Our 5 million dollar SS with another 0 for….hitting .153…. really hope Clint is smart enough to insert Harrison as our SS when we get out of inter league play.

75. pattonbb says:

What’s more depressing; the play of our SS or the fact that they had to pay him $11 Million just so we could watch this?

76. Dave G says:

Most depressing is that, since they are paying Barmes $11M, they are going to play him…

77. JRay3 says:

You can raise the jolly roger behind six solid innings from Burnett, the bat of McCutchen and solid work by the back end of the bullpen. Chance to steal the series tomorrow as Kevin Correia will try to get back on track.

78. Dave G says:

RTJR

Hats off to Cutch, one man wrecking show…

79. JMB says:

Great job by Hanny.

Cutch carried the team again. At least we have one great player.

80. Eric Bowser says:

nasty pitch to strikeout Fielder!

Pirates win 19, only 63 more wins to go and 122 to play.

81. JRay3 says:

tip of the hat to Hammer he made Fielder look silly…nice to witness that with as much damage he has done to Pirates pitching.

82. pattonbb says:

Fear the Bones…

83. Eric Bowser says:

Best hitter was clutch.

Best starter battled for the win.

Best reliever closed it out.

Everyone else was there for the ride.

Whew, but everything is fine with the state of the PBC

Not one iota

I’ll leave that for another day

Don’t forget to sign in if your home is not on the list

85. JRay3 says:

With the win the Bucs are just 2 GB the Marlins, Mets and Giants for last WC spot and 3.5 back of STL…Management should be working 24/7 trying to figure a way to get this team some help.

86. RobertoForever says:

Another game of contribution by Harrison as wellc

87. bob hasis says:

Pattonbb@75 and Dave G @76

That thought along with the sight of seeing him at the plate IS DEPRESSING.

I’d rather see d’Arnaud get some OJT if Harrison is not going to be utilized

88. Naje says:

That’s a 19-21 team.

The 17th best record in major league baseball at the quarter-pole.

Keep complaining.

89. Eric Bowser says:

Blue Jays put 1B Adam Lind on outright waivers and according to MLB Trade Rumors, “If Lind is claimed, the claiming team will assume the balance of the four-year, $18MM extension he signed early in the 2010 season. That deal also includes club options for 2014-16, with corresponding buyouts.”

Lind is making $5 million in 2012 and 2013.

I would rather see him get a shot than pound our head against the wall with Jones and McGehee.

“Free” asset

90. JRay3 says:

@ Eric – that is interesting he was a .712-.734 OPS 23-26 HR bat in ’10 and ’11 has some soft numbers this year….but is he an upgrade over Nate Mcout or Navarro in left? Would you rather him over McGehee or Jones possibly? Unless there are rumors to something performance enhancing this is the type of bold move a FO who says it is trying but there is nothing out there needs to look at.

91. T.S. says:

@DK

Oops, yeah, now I remember that column. Pardon my senior moment. Ugh.

92. Eric Bowser says:

@JRay3 – This is the exact kind of move a team with no assets in AAA/AA would make since it can’t afford to play the game in November and December but these are the Pirates, their pro scouts and Huntington probably think McLouth, Navarro, Jones and McGehee are better options.

The options at first base this winter are not good.

93. Eric Bowser says:

OPS – Lind .586 vs McLouth .428, Navarro .499, and McGehee .554

This is such a no brainer, put the claim in and give this man a shot. There’s no one being blocked in AAA or AA if Linda comes here and plays well. They don’t have a legit power hitter at 1B or RF.

94. twentytwo22 says:

Good win. I saw Harrison had an 11 pitch walk. I would have signed for 3-4 on the trip. Tomorrow’s game is gravy but it is also a swing game for the homestand. A mediocre 5-4 homestand puts them back to .500 June 1. Scherzer is struggling.

Claim Lind. It’s only money. Realistic scenario, he’s as good as Garrett Jones and on this team you can’t scoff at that. Best case, he finds himself, bats 4th or 5th, and is signed for 4 more years.

95. bob hasis says:

Naje@88

Are you so acclimated to the fact that we are usually the worst team that 17th best makes you happy. Surely you’re not serious.

Last year we led our division in July then failed miserably, but you’re good with 17th best?
    and a less than .500 winning pct.

Henry Thoreau once said, “Most men live lives of quiet desperation”. So yes, I’m complaining

One thing to remember is Pirates won’t have the first shot at Lind, other teams ahead of them

Bob H

You may be complaining but I have no idea what about–is it that Naje seems happy?

98. pattonbb says:

Great point JAL. Lind probably won’t be available for long.

99. bob hasis says:

JAL I know you are kidding. Many of us in this blog are complaining about many things.

If I interpreted Naje correctly, he seems content with the current status of our team, then chides us with “keep complaining”, overlooking the Pirates shortcomings and blunders – I think. If he’s happy, I’ll go with that. But I’m complaining about the Pirates, and you “have no idea what about”

Do you read him differently@88?

Bob H

I was kidding but I was referring to post 95, didn’t see any complaints in it

101. bob hasis says:

JAL I wasn’t complaining @95. I was asking Naje why he was satisfied.

My comment about complaining related to myself and others who have stated complaints earlier today and in other windows.

My comment about Thoreau relates to Thoreau’s opinion that most people will not speak their mind ala Casper Milquetoast.

I hope that clears it up!!

Side note; I had to chuckle at your entry @96 – we are having such a fantastic season we don’t even get first shot at Lind. Ironic I think

BOB H

Lind has nothing to do with the Pirates record this season, at start season the team with worst record last season gets first pick, then later it goes to team with worst record in the league the player is in–so all AL teams have to pass on Lind before any NL team gets a shot.

103. LuckyNKentucky says:

Bob,

I was complaining and have been for some time. They face good pitchers all the time, not just in April. Excuses should have ended, as this is May 19th. Nice win today. Have a great evening!

Pirates Prospects doesn’t think Lind will help

Adam Lind Wouldn’t Help the Pirates

105. bob hasis says:

JAL thanks for the clarification @102. Well appreciated

106. Dave G says:

Lucky-

Let’s not forget that these good pitchers we are facing are only facing the Pirates hitters as well…

Bob H

Waiver rules are complex, especially since they change during the season. I know the basics but don’t understand all the permutations of them.

108. LuckyNKentucky says:

Dave,

You’re so right.

109. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Bucs go winner, winner, chicken dinner in Motown today. The UNDER wins though. Thanks as always to all that played. See you tomorrow.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS