Wakeup Call: Cotchery’s personal call

Brief and to the Point …

>> The Wednesday column advises Ben Roethlisberger to get over it.

>> Snapped the pic over to the right with the Instagram app. Not worth $1 billion, but it’s got to be OK if it makes rank amateurs look good.

>> Also spent some time with Jerricho Cotchery, who made one of the more interesting decisions of the NFL offseason by rejoining the Steelers even though he was a free agent and easily could have assured himself starting duty elsewhere.

Why would he do that?

“Look around here,” Cotchery said, motioning toward the South Side field where he and the team just practiced. “This is real. Everything here is down to earth. It’s this team. It’s this organization. In my career, I’m about the Lombardi. I want to win. This was the place I wanted to be.”

Thought he was done there, but he added this: “And you know what? I’m gettin’ on that field.”

Cotchery certainly was good enough last season, especially down the stretch.

>> Troy Polamalu did show up, as our Mark Kaboly reports.

>> No question Andrew McCutchen has been the Pirates’ MVP to date, but allow me to cast a completely irrelevant vote right here for James McDonald as the player who has stepped up his game more than anyone.

He’s gone from a guy who couldn’t get you deep to a guy who does it every night. From having his strikeouts be a hindrance to his pitch counts to simply piling up strikeouts along the way. And now, he’s now gone all year without giving up more than three earned runs in a start.

I’ll say this again: This was Neal Huntington’s best trade by a broad margin.

>> Suzy Kolber called me “Devon” on ESPN last night. Fitting revenge, anyone?

>> Remind me to share with you one of these days how the Pirates’ minor-league people felt about Josh Harrison’s potential someday.

Comments

1. Matt says:

If the Pirates’ front office is straight Moneyball, why don’t they hire a statistically-inclined manager? Joe Maddon and Manny Acta both embrace this stuff to a degree Hurdle clearly doesn’t seem to care for. There have to be others, right?

Why don’t they preach plate discipline in the minors instead of promoting Starling Marte, whose low walk rate and high BABIP almost guarantee that he’s been a mirage up until this year?

If they think that high school players who’ve committed to college scholarships are what’s undervalued in the amateur talent pool, why don’t they scout them more thoroughly or devote the necessary resources to developing them? After five years, what initially looked like a plan now looks more like the lazy man’s approach to Moneyball than it does a genuine embracing of the philosophy.

What’s really discouraging about this team isn’t how bad the offense is this season. What’s discouraging is that even if someone were to fix all of the problems within the organization that allowed the offense to be this terrible, and were to do so overnight, it would still be another five or six years before we’d see any sign of improvement.

DK: I’ll leave the rest to others, but regarding Marte: He showed month-by-month improvement last year in pitch recognition and striking the ball with authority. Early on, he was getting lucky with balls dropping in or infield singles. Not later on.

2. JRay3 says:

@ DK – You can’t just leave that tease out there about the Josh Harrison story, please share I am intrigued.

Matt up above you mention plate discipline and that is something sorely lacking in the organization. Just tonight the Mets took three walks the Pirates you guessed it zero. The Mets plated two of those runners. We had many 2-0 or 3-1 counts this evening where the players are hacking even if the pitch is not a dead red pitch, which calls into question the approach and discipline this team has and lacks. When it seeps down to the lower levels as well than we have an instructing and coaching problem which needs to be addressed and corrected.

However to be fair I do believe there are parts of the team that are vastly improved over a good part of last season and into this season. The discouraging part of all of this to me is the apparent lack of commitment to change and overcome those very evident deficiencies that still stall this team from taking the next step.

3. PgherinLev says:

Dejan,

About McDonald – I agree that he is turning out to be great pickup by NH. But do people in LA lament about letting him get away? I would love to see the Pirates get to the point where we can trade away a player that goes onto to do great stuff elsewhere without it leaving a bitter aftertaste because the return was just as good or because our minor league system provided an adequate replacement. I think at that point you can realistically hope to have sustainable success.

4. Casey says:

Next time you encounter Suzy Kolber you could mistakenly call her Hannah Storm.

5. Paulie Raspa says:

More People in the league need to be like Cotchery!! It’s about THE LOMBARDI!!! I am excited that we have a Fresh New feel on “O” and I believe this year more than the past few years Our 1-5 Draft Picks will see alot of time.
    If our “D” plays Lights Out against the RUN — Meaning NO RB has 100 yds against us and we limit to 14pts per game & The “O” finds a Strong Running Game we go 12-4 or 13-3 and are either 1-2 for the 7TH LOMBARDI!!!
    Long Season though– we need to stay Healthy !!!! CANNOT WAIT!!!

6. JayH says:

People need to continue to point out that Ben needs to keep growing up. This whole routine where he makes snide, sarcastic comments to the press just gets old. He still hasn’t learned that most things should be kept in the locker room. It’s like he has some urge to be the center of attention. I don’t think you would see Brady or Manning publicly calling out the offense as too complicated.

Where you and I disagree is on Ben being treated unfairly. The Steelers have a special talent that, in my opinion, hasn’t reached his full potential. Even past all of the off field incidents, he has never been known to have the work ethic of a Brady or Manning. I applaud the organization for making changes. By doing it in this fashion, I think they sent a clear signal to Ben – You aren’t as good as you think you are and this offense isn’t as good as you think it is.

Now there are risks to this method. It could blow up in their face. But it also has the highest upside. Motivation through negative reinforcement can work. I guess time will tell.

I think JHay has it pretty spot on. Ben is way too arrogant. This country idolizes its sports personas to an extreme. Someone making over 10M in a single season SHOULD be expected to tweak his game, make changes to improve a team that underachieved in the previous season. Treated badly? Please! Treat ME that badly!

8. Dave says:

I’d still like to know why Harrison isn’t the starting shortstop. His defense might be terrible there, but the offense should negate that.

9. dillonerd says:

You could always tell Suzy that being from Pittsburgh you are good friends with Joe Namath and he wants you to relay a message.

10. Ace McTasty says:

I always took Rooney’s “tweak” comment to mean he wants his franchise QB to stay on the field. As we saw in San Francisco last season, Ben’s tough but not invincible. It’s common sense that he might have to tweak his game to take less hits as he enters his 30s. Hopefully a revamped OL will go a long way towards that end as well.

Frankly, I think the organization deserves a little more public respect from Roethlisberger given the off-field embarrassment he’s brought to the franchise in recent years. Whether he’s a changed man or not, he’s hardly past the atonement phase from a PR perspective.

11. John Lease says:

I’m guessing the Pirate minor league people wanted to convert Josh Harrison to pitching…

12. Leefoo says:

Dejan……..I had a hard time how you figured all that out from Ben’s answers.

I really do. I saw nothing more than a QB saying, essentially, nothing. He gave the stock answers.

And somehow, you came up with your column from that? You are an awesome mind reader.

===========

Perhaps that Dotel trade has now surpassed the Tabata trade. Sure would be nice if Tabata would start hitting again to make it close. Of course, Karstens hasn’t been too shabby either.

The AJ trade is looking pretty good, too.

Perhaps he isn’t Bad Deal Neal after all?

13. Leefoo says:

first line should be “.I had a hard time figuring out how you figured all that out from Ben’s answers”

Caffeine hasn’t gotten into the veins yet.

==============

Gonna be out until Sunday. I’m headed back to Beaver County to meet up with my high school best friend. Looking forward to rediscovering the new Midland with him. Also, looking forward to his wife’s cooking.

I am also planning on meeting up with a few of the Plus folks. Hopefully, we’re gonna catch Friday Night’s game and watch it together.

Take care yinz guyz. :)

Hey Foo, hope you have a grand time :)

15. Joe D says:

The day the McDonald trade happened, Bob Smizik panned it. A writer on SB Nation called it the worst trade in the last 5 years. Dotel spent all of 18 days with the Dodgers.

16. Leefoo says:

On another topic, I think Hines Ward and Donald Driver need a danceoff.

Foo with the Stars.

17. Leefoo says:

Jandy……..thx

18. Bob from Mt Lebo says:

What about the MCout trade to Atlanta? Not only did they get Morton in return but that was the opportunity to promote Cutch. I would say that was a solid win for the Bucs.

19. nate83 says:

Although I’m intrigued to hear what they said about Josh Harrison’s potential I really don’t know if we will be able to judge what they said when we find out.

This is a guy who two weeks ago almost everyone cringed when he was in the line up and now everyone checks to see what position the second best hitter on the Pirates is playing today. None of us know what he is at this point. I personally think he’s a utility infieldet that is just on a really hot streak right now.

Whatever the Pirates minor league people said about him I hope some don’t rip on them based on a 7-8 game hot streak. Anyone remember that guy who hit like 12 HR’s for the Tigers in the first 12 games 5 or 6 years ago. Exactly.

20. Absolute59 says:

Nate: I agree with your comments about Harrison. Way to early to anoint him as an everyday ML starter. By the way I do remember that guy, Chris Shelton….

21. Naje says:

That stupid, scrambling, unnecessary play against Cleveland last year did in Roethlisberger. Perfect example of a guy doing something that, as a result, ruined his team’s chances for a great/better finish to the season.

All that running around, all the hits he took and how many points did that offense score/average?

The offense was stale…predictable…and relied way too much on scrambling. And it lacked the discipline that comes from a disciplined qb. A disciplined qb who demands better from his receivers, his line/protection, his offensive coordinator; and Roethlisberger wasn’t able to do that. Hasn’t been able to do that consistently (he would show glimpses of it, like the New England game last year) since 2008.

As for what the scouts thought of Harrison, please spare us some “they thought he was AAA-filler” type of comments. He’s here. He’s proved himself. He’s playing. His talent proved worth the chance. I’m hoping the comment(s) were along the lines of something remotely positive, but remembering his beginnings with this team— the wild, overmatched swings, the inconsistencies with the glove and the inaccurate arm—I doubt it.

I’m thinking they gotta give Harrison some starts at SS, keep him in the lineup as long as he’s hitting?

I think any insight Dejan has on what the scouts (ours, I’m guessing) thought about JHay would be pretty interesting

Not that he’s arrived at the show yet, an 8 game hitting streak, well, you gotta do it again and again and again.

Like Morton, showed flashes of pretty good pitching, but has regressed this year or at least been inconsistent.

JMac is looking great right now, but he has to do it again and again and again. We’ll see

That being said, lets get a win this afternoon, it looks like its going to be a beautiful day in the Burgh…

Worst memory of Chris Shelton, he was one of about 5 guys we lost in the Rule 5 draft, the year that the other GMs were basically laughing at DL. I don’t think any loss except Joey Bats worked out though

Bob from Mt. Lebo—I see the myth that Nate needed to go to make room for Cutch survives (and I think it was a good trade). My favorite was always that Nate “refused” to move from center—yeah, right. The right fielder at the time? The incomparable Brandon Moss.

nate83—my bet is the minor league people saw something good in Josh’s potential, but you may be right to think the other way. A little premature to get defensive, though.

25. Sarcastic Sword says:

So the Pirates acquire Drew Sutton on Saturday. Trade him to Tampa on Sunday and he is in their starting lineup last night with two hits.

What is wrong with this picture?

26. LuckyNKentucky says:

I’m with the positive group on Harrison. He always hit in the minors and it seemed like his average was always in the .300 range, but was always suspect in the field, not unlike so many others these days. No guarantee it would translate to the ML level, but he’s a solid person and can be an asset as a utility player. Finding a spot for him on an every-day basis may be tough, but he isn’t like The Legend who is pretty one dimensional. I hope and believe the kid can stick.

27. nate83 says:

Arriba

You are probably right about me jumping the gun on that.

We have had a run of horrible bad luck with outfiled prospects haven’t we. Whether it’s Chad Hermanson, Chris Duffy, Brandon Moss, JJ Davis none have ever lived up to potential. It is nice to finally have Cutch out there manning the centerfield.

However even with that being said at the beginning of the year outfiled was thought to be a strong point and we can’t even find a second outfielder that is batting above .230 so maybe the bad luck is continuing.

28. LuckyNKentucky says:

Harrison’s average in the minors is .306. Maybe right field is in his immediate future, at least for a while. You’re right, Nate and at least he is over .230 currently.

29. Naterosboro says:

Jerrico Cotchery is a fantastic possession wide receiver and it ws criminal how he was under used in favor of getting Hines his stats. I understand the importance, but the Steelers are in the business of winning football games, not making sure their aging players go out on the right note (altho, they’ve done well at that lately, Bettis anyone ;) ). I’m sure he’ll have a much bigger impact this season. I’m looking forward to it. And, with Wallace’s situation still up in the air, it makes Jerrico that much more important right now.

I agree that Ben needs to [for lack of a better term] “get with the program” but I also didn’t read that much into his comments as you did. He’s a professional athlete, who plays one of the most (if not the most) important positions in pro sports. We’ve seen him have to grow up in other ways (on & off the field) before. This is just another instance. I have no doubts that he’ll do it, and do it well. I’m still dreading the day #7 decides to call it quits. The uncertainty of who will play QB for the Steelers is unsettling :’(

Where’s Kevin Hart & Jose Ascanio?!?! :) JHay, just keep hitting. Please.

Isn’t it nice seeing Pirates pitchers strike guys out too? This has been Neal Huntington’s contribution (which shouldn’t be overlooked or over praised) and I like it. Now, we need a new voice and vision to carry it the rest of the way (preferably someone that can evaluate hitting talent, and at the major league level, and at SS…Is that asking too much ;) ) James McDonald has defintely stepped his game up this season. It’s time for Chuckles Morton to do the same. Pitching a gem this afternoon and getting the W in the rubber match will go a long way to getting him back on track methinks…

That’s all from me for right now…I’ll be lurking >:(

You’re right, Nate. We thought our only problem in the outfield was not enough corner power.

31. bucshort says:

fire the hitting coach and get a proven commodity

32. T.S. says:

@Sarcastic Sword

Sutton, Drew

2 for 4, double, rbi, run

Everything is wrong with the picture

So, what’s the date that MLB lift’s the trade moratorium ?

34. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,

Devon said it’s June.

35. aglebagel says:

DK,

I absolutely agree with the headline of your column. However, it is your assessment of Ben’s treatment that I go completely the other way on. In your column, you unfavorably compare his situation with that of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, suggesting that Ben’s team is not giving him the respect those other quarterbacks receive with their teams. I would argue that by shaking up the offense this offseason, the Steelers are treating him MORE like an elite quarterback than if they had stood pat and been satisfied with his offense’s recent performance. Let’s look at last season:

Brady- 105.6 passer rating, offense scored 32.1 points per game
    Rodgers- 122.5 passer rating, offense scored 35 points per game
    Manning- 91.9 passer rating, offense scored 27.2 points per game (2010 season)
    Roethlisberger- 90.1 passer rating, offense scored 20.3 points per game

Do you think those other quarterbacks’ teams would have been satisfied with those offensive numbers, knowing what kind of player they had leading it? I think Ben should take it as a compliment that his team feels as though he is capable of producing more.

36. AJS says:

Dejan seems in a particularly sour mood teh past few days. The Pirates need to get some hitting…like now. ben needs to get over it…like today.

While both are true statements and the articles were accurate and well written, the topics chosen have been pretty negative. Of course shortly before that was the article about the Sgt. So take em as they come!

DK: Spectacular mood, actually!

I don’t ever see column stances as positive or negative. I see the subject matters involved being positive or negative.

Part of the job.

37. AJS says:

Fact of the matter is that Arians offense wasn’t cutting it. He was a terrible game planner and seemed to have the inability to adjust on the fly.

of course Ben loved that offense. He was given the right to do whatever he dang well felt like at any point in time. He may not like what the organization is telling him, but they are right. If he wants to be a better QB and stay healthy he is going to have to learn to get rid of the ball. i love Ben’s ability to scramble and make things happen, but it seems like more and more lately what heppens in more negative than positive. For every 35 or 40 yard savior of a play we get a pick and 2 sacks and an injured ankle, shin, nose, or toe.

@Lucky

Thank you very much. I missed Devon’s appearance on The Mother Ship yesterday. I know he’s traveling this week but I need a ruling from JAL. Would that be considered a typo ? :)

39. bob hasis says:

Sarcastic Sword and T.S. are you questioning a GM whose inane moves are above reproach.
    Please, old NH has a plan which is still unfolding with regard to dispatching Sutton so abruptly to TB

Do keep in mind, he is a middle infielder; was he going to replace Walker (I hope not), was he going to replace Hurdle’s folly at shortstop – I doubt that, not Clint’s boy; and most assuredly he was not going to replace our Rock of Gibralter clean-up hitter at third. So what good could he have been to us???

Devon…has a nice ring to it…ijs

I don’t know if I’d say DK has been negative, but he’s certainly been out of character.

I’m still waiting waiting for him to call out Jon Morosi for not thinking for himself and ESPN for stealing his “First Pitch” headline.

That, or swallow his unexpectedly appearing ego and appologize to Tim Williams.

42. Jeremy says:

Dev…er uh..Dejan

As mentioned by others….you are reading way too much into Ben’s comments. Maybe you are reading your own sarcasm into it? Ben will learn the offense, the Steelers will be better.

43. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,

I’ll rule in his stead. A typo is tyop, per JAL. Devon instead of Dejan is a blatant error and is punishable by the kiss of Joe Namath, as mentioned above by one astute poster. I think that would be more of a hypo than a typo.

NMR,

Maybe DK should be kissed by Joe. That’ll put him back in character. I don’t think he has an ego problem. Just needs to cancel his Twitwell account.

44. JHadar says:

Given that Neal has finally put together a pretty good pitching staff and the minors are relatively stocked with arms of the future and guys to bridge until then but that there is a great wasteland separating the Bucs from the land of hitters, my question is will the front office learn from its mistakes?

I have no answer at this point. I accept that all GM’s make bad trades (Bay, etc) and some players blossom in unforeseen ways in new environments (Bautista) — but at the same time this notion of waiting until you are already good to bring in players to make you good defies logic. When you’re poor you have to improve incrementally. Still the FO claims that the money is there when the pieces fall into place, and I sort of believe them given that Nutting has OK’d some very expensive flops. But if you don’t have a supporting cast for your star(s) the pieces never fall into place. Some tires just can’t be retreaded.

Right now of our eight starters, five are replacement candidates provided you make the assumption that Alvarez is going to figure it out. You don’t have to replace all five at once to get better. Maybe Harrison will be one answer, and then you only have four to go. Maybe Tabata will, too.

If and when Marte and Sanchez and Hague and Grossman and whoever else we have in the minors come up, wouldn’t it be a good thing that they would have to beat someone else out of a position to play.

So the question again, will the Front Office learn from its mistakes?

If they don’t will Nutting learn from his mistakes?

Lucky, I think you missed your calling ;)

46. LuckyNKentucky says:

Jandy,

The fact I’m in KY means you’re probably right. Sometimes that’s worse than being kissed by Joe Namath.

NMR–I didn’t understand the apparently extreme rudeness to Tim, either. Maybe there’s something more under the surface.

@Lucky

Thus, my “out of character” comment.

Can’t say I ever remember reading anything where Dejan has come remotely close to this kind of behavior.

I mean, he kept pushing Morosi on Twitter with more and more questions trying to lead him into the answer he wanted to hear until Morosi quit responding to him.

This is the guy who wrote a thoughtful, researched article last fall about how the Pirates aren’t cheap even though it is painfully obvious to the fan base that they are. Now, he goes on the attack without so much as mentioning a single team or player involved, uses the “not my job” excuse, then calls out a colleague for simply researching the number of trades that actually have happened in this time period.

I got absolutely nothing out of reading his work in the last week, and that is something that I don’t think has ever happened.

I remember saying how impressed I was with how he handled the Philadephia writer calling him out on Twitter. Turns out, he’s no better.

DK: Every last bit of this is either incorrect or badly misinterpreted. Will reply in full later. Busy.

OK, I’m back, and here are a couple replies, in no real order …

>> I didn’t push Jon Morosi on anything. He’s as tuned in as anyone in the country — infinitely more than I am — about trade activity across baseball. I asked a straight question about May trades. He said he thought June was the trading season, which I immediately retweeted. I then followed up to repeat specifically about May because I didn’t feel he addressed it. He replied, and I retweeted that.

If you think I could coerce Jon into telling me what I wanted to hear, you don’t know Jon at all, and you’re giving me WAY too much credit.

>> I didn’t call out any colleague. For one, Tim Williams isn’t now and never has been a colleague. For another, my response on Twitter was to his blog item that was written in clear reaction to my column. So, I didn’t call anyone out. I responded to a public criticism of my work. Mega-difference there.

What that has to do with the Philadelphia guy freaking out on me out of the clear blue sky, I have no idea.

>> Look, if you don’t like this stance, that’s fine. I respect that. I really do.

I feel strongly about it. Obviously. Not going to apologize for that.

Seward’s Folly: $7.2m

Hurdle’s Folly: $10.5m

Pirates Shortstop of the Future: Priceless

Just read that Dickie threw 67 of 88 pitches for strikes last night. I’d love to see a graphic of how many of those swing-and-miss/foul tip strikes were actually balls.

Seems incredibly difficult to throw 3 out of 4 knuckleballs in the strike zone.

——————————————————————————–
    Some of your readers would say they see it differently DK.

52. LuckyNKentucky says:

NMR,

Thanks for the clarity. I don’t see it myself, but I appreciate you stance and opinion, as always. Just kidding about the Namath stuff. Only Mrs. N. deserves that at this point in his life.

53. JHadar says:

goes with the territory, eh?

DK: Bingo.

54. Mattygabe says:

Have to agree with the others DK, if you’re going to put that tease out there, you’re going to have to deliver on it. I’m intrigued to hear what the thoughts were on J-Hay as he rose through whatever minor league ranks he toiled in.

I tend to like Harrison much like I do Karstens – started last year as he was an important (won’t go as far as to say integral) part of the Pirates surprising 4-month stretch last season, and seems to be continuing now. He’s a player who succeeds against the supposed odds, and who by standard measures is counted out (in Harrison’s case, it’s his small size).

Im a sucker for the underdog, and Harrison is one bit of this offense that’s fun to watch.

JHadar and DK–a vast oversimplification and somewhat of an insult to readers. Kind of an ivory tower look.

“DK: You’re right. And those readers, generally speaking, are those who WANT things to be positive or negative, then are dismayed when they read the opposite. Nothing you can ever do on that front.”

You’re missing the forest through the tree’s.

I clearly just said that I’ve enjoyed your work even when I didn’t agree with it because of the manner in which you presented it.

Which doesn’t even address the fact that I agree with your point of making a picthing for hitting trade as soon as possible…

But keep on thinking you’re beyond reproach.

“Kind of an ivory tower look.”

Bingo.

Oops, copyright infringement.

59. AJS says:

–DK is positive when he agrees with me, neutral when I don’t care, and negative when he disagrees with me…

goes with the territory, eh?–

I specifically said I agreed with both articles, and only stated taht they were about negative topics. I made the incorrect assumption that when a personis in a negative mood, they would tend to write about negative things and when they were in a positive mood they would look for positive things to write about.

I did not mean to start a rip on DK avalanche of posts. I love reading DKs stuff. And I stay away from twitter because there because in my opinion more info faster isn’t always good. When on a twitter account it is easy to say somthing or do something in the heat of the moment that is out of character simply because you don’t have a cooling off period nor do you have to say it to their face.

oh come on guys, this is really ridiculous. This column has been, and still IS the best column to read and respond to. I don’t know what’s going on here. Seems like a lot of hooey being tossed around. Opinions are just that…opinions.
    It also seems since some people came in and started agitating things have gone progressively downhill.
    I sure hope it turns around soon. I’d hate to see this blog ruined.

Milo where the heck are you anyway?????? Drew?????? C’mon guys!

Dejan,

Tim released that article the same day you wrote yours. I guess he did all that research and writing as a direct result of your work?

He also had this reply when someone mentioned your article in his comments:

“That wasn’t really aimed at Dejan’s article, since I didn’t read the article. That’s just my perception of the general attitude. I have a constant search on Twitter for “Pirates trade”. Occasionally it brings up news from other team’s beat writers, before the Pirates announce a move. But for the most part it’s fans demanding a trade.”

So im is a liar and a plagiarist(still hasn’t responded to the “First Pitch” jab)?

DK: Honestly, you care about this a whole heck of a lot more than I do. That’s your right, of course, but I can promise you’re thinking about it way more than I — or Tim, for that matter — are. People argue about sports all the time. This is an incredibly small deal.

And you still don’t understand the point that I actually do agree with you, the Pirates need to make a trade.

@Jandy

This blog certainly won’t be ruined. Its an excellent place to talk sports.

I’m sure Dejan wouldn’t want his readers to patronize him by blindly agreeing with whatever he says. Thats demeaning.

Myself and a few others saw treatment that we thought wasn’t warranted. If somebody was attacking one of your posts without cause, I’d support you too.

Our comments had nothing to do with baseball, but with how another writer was being treated.

Unless Tim Williams has some kind of history with DK, I truly don’t see what warranted any of the response.

I’ll leave it at that.

DK: First, NMR, I’ll assume you’re only one person. No need to multiply for effect.

Second, did you read my detailed response to you on the other thread? Doesn’t sound like it.

NMR, and you have supported me, and it’s cool. I just fail to see why all of a sudden this place is screaming with discord. That’s all.

Arriba and partially AJS echoed my sentiments, DK.

I didn’t perceive this whole thing as an argument about sport at all, Dejan. If someone insinuated I was a liar and plagiarist, I wouldn’t appreciate it. Thats where my issue starts and stops.

Trust me, nothing you did would’ve even registered if it came from a writer I didn’t respect as much as I do you. Like I said from the start, the only reason I made it an issue is because it seemed so out of character.

But if it’s not a big deal to Tim, then who am I to care?

DK: Seems like a decent place to leave it.

But here’s something else you should know: If I’m ever going to call someone out, or call them a liar or plagiarist, I’ll do it EXTREMELY directly. You might have noticed that’s kind of my M.O.

“I just fail to see why all of a sudden this place is screaming with discord.”

Haven’t we all given credit to the blog author for exhibiting behavior that led to the behavior of the blog users?

All of this will be forgotten by tomorrow, anyways.

Haha, as a certain Canadian hockey writer found out…

69. AJS says:

NMR leave me out of this. All I said was that the subject of his last two columns were negative. I know nothing about what went on on twitter. I don’t tweet.

70. MrB says:

DK – I’m late to the party, but….

You essentially state that Ben has a right to be upset (for numerous reasons), but he needs to get over it and cope with the changes.

You also note that this is the first day of OTAs, Ben was in good spirits and (to me anyway) was quite honest in his answers.

So what’s the issue here? Ben is a human being, who seems to be handling some challenging job changes as well as could be expected for the first day of OTAs. He honestly and good naturedly answers questions on these changes for the media.

I think this isn’t one of your best columns. Every now and then you seem to have a wishy-washy take on an issue like this one. I’m reminded of your column of nearly a year ago when you opinionated that the Pirates should make a trade deadline deal to make a run at the division, yet be careful they not trade too much.

DK: Your last point doesn’t make much sense, B. What I advocated was something very specific: Trade without giving up the farm. And I pushed it hard. And — though there was zero causation involved — that’s EXACTLY what ended up happening: The Pirates acquired Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick while giving up only cash.

Nothing remotely wishy-washy about that.

Not every opinion that isn’t some extreme — TRADE GERRIT COLE NOW! — is wishy-washy. From me or anyone else.

As for Ben, honestly, I had a hard time following your logic up there. Hard to respond.

I’ll add a thank-you here for a) reading it and b) caring enough to critique.

So, did I miss anything today ?

72. Officer Mancuso says:

I love Cotchery’s take. Ordinarily an employee would be a fool to see things that way. On the other hand, many people find themselves in that situation a time or two in the course of a life, and rare is the one with the wisdom, maturity and self-control to seize the moment

73. joe walsh says:

Dejan, you hit the nail on the head with Ben. He needs to quit being so darn whiney.

He needs to step up and be a leader, and that means taking ownership of this new offense. Right now he’s the only one complaining about the offense.

It’s one of the things that is so frustrating with him, he still acts so immature for a 30-year-old man.

joe