Wakeup Call: College football playoff? Where’s Jim Mora?

Brief and to the Point …

>> The Friday column examines how West Virginia and Pitt will emerge from their conference shuffle. The answer isn’t the no-brainer many seem to think.

>> It’s stunning, still, just to hear conference commissioners and school presidents openly talking about the four-team playoff. In the event of the Big 12-SEC bowl game announced last week, nearly everyone was citing it as if were set in stone.

It isn’t, of course, but the simple public acknowledgment is an enormous step. Used to be all those bowl bigwigs would pounce all over anyone who even dared to utter the P-word.

>> Not this guy, of course …

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

>> In the conversation yesterday with Pitt AD Steve Pederson, one of the many topics broached was the concept that this Big 12-SEC bowl game would have some seismic effect on college football. That’s certainly how it was portrayed by the majority of national media when announced last Friday.

“It’s really going to be like the Rose Bowl, in that you’re matching teams from separate conferences,” Pederson said. “But you also could see a situation where one of those teams is a third-place team.”

That’s what would have happened last year, actually, when the SEC’s top two teams, Alabama and LSU, also happened to be the two picked by the BCS to play in the national title game.

In perhaps the most likely four-team playoff format, you’ll simply see a BCS-type formula that chooses those teams. Or, as Pederson said, there’s also a chance of forming a selection committee in the NCAA hoops mold.

It’s not perfect, but it’s a richly welcome start.

>> The Pirates had yesterday off. And judging by all the action they took to upgrade the offense, they took that day off rather seriously.

Could there be surprises in store today?

If so, what do you think they might be?

>> Great pickup by our Mark Kaboly at the Steelers’ OTAs, this during a drill Wednesday morning with players set at the line of scrimmage …

Ryan Clark (shouting toward coaches): “If your QBs going to hold onto the ball that long, you better draft some more offensive linemen in the first round!”

Mike Tomlin: “I’m going to draft a safety next year! A free safety!”

This is Kaboly’s fine blog, The Steel Mill.

>> Drew Sutton and the Rays are back in action tonight, as well, opening a series at Fenway.

>> Here’s the chat transcript from yesterday.

>> I’ll be on The Fan for a full hour today, 2-3 p.m., with Joe Starkey, Josh Miller. It’s online, too.

Comments

1. Ed says:

What I’d like to know and, unless I missed it somewhere, is have there been no other GM’s around baseball that have contacted Huntington about pitching help? Surely, this can’t be all one way.

2. Eric Bowser says:

@Ed – Good point. Making a deal takes two teams, both with needs to fix a problem like pitching or hitting, or reduce payroll because of a rebuilding plan.

I’m not advocating the Pirates trade Cole, Taillon or Heredia but don’t they have some others like Lincoln, Hanrahan, Bedard, Karstens, Correia, McDonald, Owens, Locke, Wilson, and a plethora of those young high school pitchers taken a few years ago to package with someone like Tabata or Marte.

Anaheim signed Albert Pujols to a huge free agent deal, they didn’t do it to sit 6.5 games back of first place Texas. What do they want for first baseman Mark Trumbo? He’s hitting .315 with 6 HR, 19 RBI, .378 OBP, .538 SLG, and .916 OPS. It would help the Pirates tremendously to acquire a 26-year old slugger that can produce for the next five years.

If that means giving up a pitcher like McDonald, Lincoln or Hanrahan to do it, then so be it. This franchise won’t make a move in free agency to go get that bat and when those big three are ready, do you really want it to be Andrew McCutchen and a cloud of strikeouts?

And what about talking with the hitting-rich Royals about Wil Meyers? He’s in Triple-A, ready for the majors and Kansas City needs help throwing the ball. If there was ever a situation for two teams to make a deal, this is it.

Cleveland has a terrible bullpen, what is the use of having Joel Hanrahan, if you can’t get to enough games with the lead in the 9th inning. The Pirates can go with a bullpen by committee with Cruz, Grilli, and Lincoln. Maybe even give lefty Justin Wilson a shot to come to the bigs to be a late inning reliever. Indians have prospects to offer and a desire to win now.

There are trade situations to be had, Huntington needs to realize he can’t win every trade, sometimes they are deals made for both teams to address needs.

This team needs a leadoff hitter and two guys to hit between McCutchen and Alvarez.

3. bdubb says:

I will not post a full trade on this site but my guess is James McDonald is the guy to go. He is young, really pitching well and has a very friendly contract. I don’t see any starter in the upper minors to the Pirates who can bring more than JM. NH has finally stock piled the pitching so let’s do what you are supposed to do when you have a stockpile. You trade some of that pile for a hitter. No need having 10 MLB ready pitchers b/t Indy and Pitt. Trade one – get a hitter – and let’s actually try to win instead of just saying we want to win. Show us Neal. If you don’t it will really be the end for many fans.

No move means ‘sure we want to win but we won’t spend or take risks to do it’ even though the bigger risk is allowing those same 8 guys take a bat in their hands everyday.

It’s a beautiful morning and the unofficial start of summer is upon us. I can’t think of a better day for the Pirates to do nothing.

Ahhhhh Milo, stop and smell the roses ;)

6. TJA says:

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

7. Karen22 says:

BEST weekend of the year, when we have 30 or so Cleveland pals (three generations now) come & live with us! Year #32 for our “Fake Family Fest.” I won’t be paying much attention to what the Pirates do or don’t do…Have a beauteous weekend yourselves, inmates. And do remember our troops!

With JAL traveling this week & the holiday weekend upon us, I think we need a little travelin’ music.

“The House I Live In” by Frank Sinatra. From The Main Event – live at Madison Square Garden – 1974.

9. JB says:

I agree the ACC won’t be left out, every conference will be held to the same standards to qualify for the playoffs, it will just be more difficult due to the overall strength of the ACC.

One point that needs clarified. WVU will make far more than $20 million annually. People forget that Pitt is making $17 million a year for all 3 television tiers. WVU will be making $20 million a year on ONLY tiers 1 and 2. Big 12 schools are free to go to the highest bidder for Tier 3 rights (think Longhorn Network). Now WVU will make nowhere near what Texas can but it is reasonable to expect an additional 3-5 million a year. Even if you take the low end of $23 million annually, over the life of the Big 12′s Grant of Rights contract WVU will be earning over $70 million more than Pitt. More than enough to cover additional travel costs and then some. And if the Big 12 somehow adds Florida St and Clemson that number will approach $100 million over the life of the contract.

As for travel, it won’t be as crazy as it sounds for minor sports. The Big 12 doesn’t offer men’s soccer so WVU has joined the MAC. The swim teams will only compete in the Big 12 Championship meet, all of their dual meets will remain on the east coast. For wrestling only 3 Big 12 schools wrestle, so again the majority of matches will be east coast.

@JB, does that cashola include just football rights, or football and basketball?

11. JB says:

@Biz

It is football and basketball for both the ACC and Big 12.

12. Naterosboro says:

I’m not sure if everyone has seen this, but here is an article from fangraphs.com that puts into perspective just how horrible the Pirates offense has been so far this season:

After reading that article, I’ve come to the conclusion that a move hasn’t been made because the GM doesn’t know where to start.

They strike out (this is as a team) in almost a 1/4 of their ABs (24.3%). They walk in under 6% of their ABs (5.9%). They also have/had guys (Barmes, Barajas, Alvarez, Walker, Tabata, Jones, Presley, McGehee) that are performing below career norms, and some of these players (Barmes, Barajas) have long enough histories where we can determine what their numbers SHOULD be at.

The GM basically needs a bunch of contact hitters that walk at this point. But where does he start? WHo does he remove from the lineup? Nate McLouth isn’t an everyday player. Anyone who replaces him is in a backup role. You could start maybe with Hague for McGehee or Jones and give him everyday playing time at 1B for a few weeks. Jordy Mercer may merit a look if Clint Barmes continues to scuffle, but there are questions about his defense (do you want to weaken the position defensively for a few singles a week?)

The situation that is the Pirates offense is at historically bad proportions. Some of the numbers they are putting up haven’t been seen since the 1900s. And they’ve done it for almost 2 months now. They need a complete overhaul. Problem is, they’re 2 months into a season. That can’t be done. So that’s why I think a move hasn’t been made yet (altho if things continue you’ll see things happen in June…cause that’s when things of significance can happen ;) ). Because there are too many that have to be made…and the GM doesn’t know where to start.

13. RobertoForever says:

Its funny.

Millions of trades are apparently made in May (except for the Pirates), but looking at the site, mlbtraderumors.com, I saw no mention of any trade rumors, and the only mention of teams looking at pitching are those that want to be in on Oswalt.

I thought there was a huge trade market for pitching. I must be missing something.

14. radio wave says:

Yesterday I called into sirius/xm radio mlb channel. I asked the show hosts, which includes former Mets GM Jim Douquette if there was a hitter that the Pirates could afford available for trade. I also asked if the other team wanted Hanny in return would that be asking too much?
    They did not name any specifric hitter, but pretty much said you couldn’t get a hitter just for Hanny.
    And as an add on to #9 above, Iowa State does not play baseball, so WVU won’t have to travel there for that sport.

15. RobertoForever says:

Natersboro,

Wait – that article had a lot of sabermetrics. Jim Leyland didn’t need sabermetrics to get good hitting.

But my favorite line from the article – “5) Can you believe this team is only a few games under .500?! That the Angels do not have a better record than them!?”

That provides hope to me. When the trade market heats up, I think we get a bat. Would love to see Youk or Morneau here. Would solve our 1B problem, I would think.

Remember the fallen this weekend – will be out putting flags on veterans’ graves this weekend. We live in the best country in the world, where we can spend time worrying about a team whose sole need is to provide entertainment. Find a WW II vetor two and thank them in person before its too late.

16. RobertoForever says:

Read another interesting story this morning. LA is not #1 in something. They fell to #2 in worst traffic list behind…………….Honolulu, HI. Wow so even paradise has its warts.

17. radio wave says:

RobertoForever:
    We were on vacation in Hawaii last month. We were stupid enough to schedule two shore excursions in the same day in Honolulu. The first was to Pearl Harbor, we were late getting back, and found ourselves on a second tour bus stuck in bumper to bumper Friday night freeway traffic trying to get to the second event on the other side of the island. Just like being in any other big city, it didn’t feel like paradise right then.

To continue Milo’s thought-with JAL in absentia I thought I might fill in for his by the decade tour of music of the previous century with some morning links of some selections from the nineties.

The nineties was the last decade before MP3′s and iTunes would irrevocably change the music industry forever. The arrival of widespread use of the internet by mid to late decade also meant the end of promoting a band through tireless touring and securing notoriety by simple word of mouth.

1991 saw the release of Nirvana’s monumental album, Nevermind. The album ranks with the likes of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club and London Calling in terms of its musical historical significance. Also, it was produced by Madison Wisconsin’s own, the great Butch Vig.

Six years later, Radiohead released one of the decade’s great albums, OK Computer. Quite frankly, it is one of the great albums ever made. A selection from that masterpiece, directed by Spike Jonz:

My pick for the decade’s best individual song, from Dinosaur Jr and the incomparable J Mascis:

I, as always, remain deferential to our JAL.

19. Naterosboro says:

@ RobertoForever

I’m not huge on sabermetrics, especially these new-fangled ones like wOBA and the like, but BB% and K% I think are good stats to look at.

The facts are, they don’t walk nearly enough, and they strike out far too often (with a young lineup, you’ll take some growing pains, but you can’t be by far dead last in both categories). That’s not going to be fixed with one bat. But, I wouldn’t mind seeing Youkilis or Morneau in a Pirates uni either.

If he truly looks at it, he could replace either LF or RF (I’d keep Tabata in the lineup, I think he’s just in a funk, the guy can hit), SS, 1B/3B (I’d keep Pedro at 1 of the positions nightly as he needs a full season of play for seasoning), & C. Thats 4-6 (we’ll count Tabata & Alvarez as holes right now b/c they’re not performing, but I still wouldn’t take them out of the lineup) holes in the lineup.

I’m not sure any GM could fix this problem mid-season, although, I’m not sure another GM would’ve let it get this way with inaction in the offseason.

20. John Lease says:

The Pirates have NEVER valued walks. Ever. They did at one time though value contact. No more, evidently.

Milo & OshKoshB’Gosh ~ good stuff guys!

22. pattonbb says:

Roberto – I like Morneau a lot, but he’s been hurt, off and on, for almost three years. He’s also owed 28 million dollars over the next two years. Can’t see the Twins willing to eat up enough of that to make him attractive to this FO. But who knows…

23. Matt says:

WVU and Pitt are both receiving $10M plus more per year in their new conferences. Where does that money go? Player costs are flat it would seem. New practice facilities?

Neither school was losing money before, so just wondering where all the new cash is going.

Also, I am glad Pitt won’t be left out of the National Championship picture in the ACC after never being able to win the Big East. I was really worried. Go Mountaineers!

Roberto on #13–you’re not missing anything. You’re mischaracterizing what’s been said by others (“millions of trades . . . in May” ” huge trade market for pitching”) and then trying to shoot it down. Nobody else is missing anything either.

@Matt

I too was worried about the Mountaineers, considering they couldn’t make the academic cut in the ACC. But all’s well that ends well.

@Wilver

It’s great strategy if you can get away with it. Make up some outlandish statement that no one ever said, then shoot it down & pat yourself on the back. Very good strategy when you don’t have any facts on your side.

27. Matt says:

Milo, agreed, WVU’s academics do not stack up with the ACC schools. That said, I believe the link between big-time D1A college football/basketball and academics was broken a long time ago.

AW~I am known to “miss the boat” on occasion, but that’s one boat I DIDN’T miss ;)

29. RobertoForever says:

@radio wave

Once Southwest starts traveling to Hawaii later this year, that is what I plan on spending my frequent flier miles on. So I appreciate the info. Did you travel to more than 1 island? If so, which one did you like best?

I learned several things about HI today I will keep in mind when I go there. Funny, they never show that awesome Camaro of Danny’s stuck in traffic on Hawaii Five-0, lol

30. RobertoForever says:

@AW,

Just trying to fit in here. Apparently, that’s the MO that usually gets pats on the backs. Funny how it didn’t work for me.

Speaking of facts, still waiting for someone to point out the last trade in May for a good bat………..crickets

@Matt

How true. How ironic that one of the big arguments against a football playoff in division one was that it would take kids away from class. Then at the same time, every other level of NCAA football was having a playoff, and those kids were actually at school to get an education.

Some stuff gets old, really fast, so I’m signing out….taking an early, long, long break. Later guys.

33. RobertoForever says:

@radio wave

Meant to thank you also for the call-in to Xm/sirius. I think their answer was telling, that there really aren’t alot of bats being shopped right now. Now if a GM were to overpay and give away the store, that teams will shake loose some average bats. And I think as fans, we tend to overvalue the few good pieces we have here. and what they would bring in return.

34. RobertoForever says:

@pattonbb

I agree Morneau has been hurt alot. That concussion thing can be touch-and-go, as we know in the Pittsburgh market. I am still not sure if the GM of the Twins can really pull the trigger on a Morneau trade. The Twins fans would probably want a lot in return for him, and they would be very unhappy to trade one of the M&M guys.

But he certainly would be a big improvement over Jones/McGehee. And if the Pirates had to eat the contract to get him, rather than give up a lot, might not be that much a stretch, since they were willing to pay D-Lee $8 million.

Imagine how Jones would feel, to be benched in favor of the guy who blocked him in Minny.

35. T.S. says:

Hanny needs to go. Best trade chip. I have a hard time believing you couldn’t get a major league or major-league-ready player for him and say, Jose Tabata. I’ve never believed Neal before; all of his platitudes these days is old hat. It is time to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

36. steelercrazy says:

Wow, where do I begin with Dejan’s “Pitt left out of playoff? No Chance” column?

First, a major factual mistake. The Big XII shares all travel costs, as each school sends all travel receipts to the conference office for payment. The conference then divvies up TV monies equally to the individual schools after all expenses are paid. Moving to the Big East will only minimally increase WVU’s net travel costs, maybe in the 100K – 300K range, a proverbial drop in the bucket.

Second, the Big XII contract grants Tier 3 TV rights to the schools, while ESPN retains those rights. It’s estimated that WVU will gain an additional 3M – 5M per year for those Tier 3 TV rights. If you’ve read any recent comments from the administration/BOT from Florida State, you’d realize just how much Florida State covets those Tier 3 rights, and why the Big XII is so appealing to them. Adding Tier 3 monies would make the annual difference between Pitt’s and WVU’s TV revenue in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 million dollars. “Pitt will break mostly even with West Virginia on money”??? Not a chance.

Lastly, concerning making a four-team playoff. When (not if) the ACC gets raided, it will be in a much more weakened state football prestige-wise than it already is. A 12-1 ACC/Big East team will ALWAYS get passed over in a 4-team playoff by an 11-2 Big 10, SEC, Big XII, or PAC 12 school. If the playoff were expanded to 8 or 16 teams, I would agree that Pitt’s path would not be damaged. However, at the currently proposed 4-team playoff level, I disagree with Dejan’s premise entirely.

DK: Your understanding of West Virginia’s travel obligations and mine, in scope and substance, vary immensely. This came from an interview.

I’m aware, too, of the Tier 3 rights, but as you correctly point out, anything anyone produces toward that figure is guessing. The West Virginia TV rights don’t promise to be terribly lucrative, but we’ll see. I did read what the Florida State BOT head said about Tier 3 and other stuff, but I also know that we said had close to zero resonance down there. That school isn’t going anywhere.

The rest of what you have there is opinion, which you’re very much entitled to.

37. JRay3 says:

Wow when a business paper like the Wall Street Journal starts bagging on your team it must be bad by epic proportions. And than the stinger at the end “the 2012 Pirates stand alone as the least effective offense baseball has seen since the turn of last century”

Mr. Nutting do you hear that? It is no longer sports pubs that are ripping the franchise…at least I can say TGIF and it is a holiday weekend.

Oh and great read on the Pitt story. I can say this I rather make trips to Miami, Boston, Charlottesville, College Park, Raleigh, Atlanta, Columbia than have to go to Ames, Lawrence, Norman, Stillwater, Waco to see my team play. The ACC is the premier eastern seaboard league covering the state of New York to the state of Florida, to many people and too many important TV locations for it to be left behind. Do not forget the ACC commissioner John Swofford has a reputation of being pretty vicious in this landscape. And on top of the matching education focus the ACC schools have, none of them have to bow to another institution amongst their membership. Hail to Pitt!

38. PetroSteel says:

My thoughts:
    How in the world is this batting coach still on the payroll at the major league level. That’s what I cant understand!

This isn’t just one player struggling. This isn’t just one player struggling!

I read above, the GM doesn’t know what hole to fill. He is right. Its across the board. The issues are across the board. High strikeouts and a small number of walks across the board.

So, if you bring in a stud position player from another team and make a big trade,…How do we not know if that stud player isn’t going to begin to have the same issues if he is coached the same way?

My guess is that Cutch isn’t listing to him and that’s why he is exceeding all expectations. I’m sorry, I don’t like to see anyone fired but they need to make a change. It just doesn’t make sense that all of these guys are struggling this bad.

Now, I am a huge fan of Clint Hurdle. BUT, he has responsibility here too. As we all know, he was a former hitting coach. But, I think he needs to find a new hitting coach or perhaps not be so involved in trying to help these guys figure out what the heck they are supposed to do to fix their issues.

Lets hope we will be talking about something else after we score 20 runs this weekend and sweep the Cubbies!

39. radio wave says:

RobertoForever:
    Concerning your question about my HI vacation, I was particuarly impressed with the area around Kona on the island of Hawaii. It is the area where the iron man triathalon’s are held. So much to see, can’t do it in one trip. Visited four islands. And Pearl harbor was quite moving. Gave me a renewed appreciation for my Dad’s generation.

PS–I agree with you.

41. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Ug……

The biggest surprise the Pirates will pull off……….is that they didn’t pull off anything.

I’m not talking a trade, those don’t happen in May..(ha ha) I’m just talking that nobody has moved anywhere to try a cause a spark. They need a kick in arse to jump start something.

Where’s that Garrett Jones from 2010?

42. radio wave says:

Well he we are at Memorial Day weekend. The first of the four pivotal reference points in a MLB season. This is when you can determine if your team is still in it, or it’s wait till next year. So, as Pirates fans, which one are we? I figure any team nine or more games out at this point is toast,and because the Cards have lost a few, we aren’t there yet. Yes, I know, the 2005 Astros came from way back, but that’s the exception, not the rule. You can also look at available talent, and how the DL has affected your team. Compared to most, the Bucs haven’t had the level of injuries others have had.
    A lot of Reds fans think their team has hit stride now. If the Bucs can get past the sputtering Cubs, maybe they can slow down that Cincy train.
    What do you think?

43. Better Days Coming says:

Regarding “trades don’t happen in May”. It’s been a while since I’ve seen more silliness about an innocuous comment. It seems you can’t escape the insanity no matter the blog. Do we really have to parse every single word that comes from the mouth of any member of the Pirate management team?

Reality is that, yes, trades do happen at all times of the year. I would assume NH knows that given that he appears to be a very intelligent man. It also doesn’t take a large amount of intelligence to realize that his point, as I interpreted it, is that it’s rare and extremely difficult to make a deal now because too many teams feel they are still in contention and the only way to overcome that obstacle if you have to or feel you must make a trade is to overpay.

My sense is that anyone choosing to ignore that logic and criticize unendlessly is simply wanting to take shots at Huntington because it’s easy to do so or they have a separate agenda.

This team is four under and five out. No one is running away from the pack at this point. Grossly overpaying for an overpaid, underachieving aging veteran is not what this organization needs right now. Trading McDonald now is insane. He’s been the best pitcher they have and is seemingly just coming into his prime. Calls to “just do something, anything” are the road to ruin for a franchise, especially this one.

Thanks for the venting.

Question BDC—–what potential “separate agenda(s)” are you referring to?

45. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

BDC

whoa, whoa, whoa……..there will be no interpreting of any kind in this blog. It is face value as said.

“Sir, do you think we are taking this too literal? NO! He told us to comb the desert, we’re combing the desert!” Insert giant comb. If you haven’t seen the movie, its a must…

46. steelercrazy says:

Dejan, was it Pederson’s interview that you relied on for your understanding of WVU’s Big XII travel expense obligations? If so, that might be the issue. All travel expenses are paid for by the conference out of TV revenues before the pie is sliced.

Bet you one Starbuck’s best that FSU pulls the trigger on a move, very likely by the end of June. If that domino falls, the ACC as we know it will cease to exist, as it will be open poaching season by the Big 4 conferences.

47. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

There’s no way JMac gets traded. If so, better have some LARGE return pieces.

I’d trade him for 3 ready to play MLB baseball ballers though. Again, won’t happen.

48. Better Days Coming says:

Hey Arriba,

Nothing terribly sinister. Just more of the pro/anti nonsense. It’s mind numbing. I’ve been spending too much time on Smizik’s blog.

By the way, I would suggest reassigning Ritchie. Not his fault but, like Mickey Hatcher, sometime you have to send a message.

Ryan (Nor-Cal dude) well said! And yes, that constitutes a pat on the back!

50. Better Days Coming says:

Ryan,

History of the World? Mel Brooks was/is genius.

Just came across this….it’s hockey…and what a read…Tortorella in another light….dare I say “obsessed”?

52. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

BDC

Close, but no. Here’s another one. ” What’s the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?”

53. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Jandy

I’ll take your pat on the back…..as long as I can get a scratch in there as well.

Ryan, consider it done…. ;)

55. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

All

Have a good weekend, remember what its really about. Enjoy your BBQ’s, I know I will, but remember who stepped up for the cause.

Thank CW whenever you see him, if he comes around. Thank a Vet.

If you don’t we might have government mandated health……….oh wait, scratch that.

If you don’t, the gov’t might cut veteran’s benefits…….oh wait.

Remember, LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!

You too, Ryan! Enjoy your weekend.

57. Evan says:

Matt Hague called up and McLouth designated! I’d love to see Hague at first tonight with Jones in RF.

58. Better Days Coming says:

Ryan,

ahhh…Spaceballs. Not his finest IMO but anything Brooks did was better than most others.

I have returned from my trip. Sorry about no links this week but mom has no internet and the signal I usually pick up wasn’t available so was without computer access.

Everyone have a good holiday weekend.

Hey JAL, welcome back. Milo and OshKosh were trying to fill the void, but it’s great to have you “home.” Enjoy your weekend :)

Hey, DK—it was a very enjoyable hour on the Fan. (This does not mean I agree or disagree with anything that was said). Seriously, well done to you and Joe!

DK: Thanks, AW.

62. TJA says:

Good Lord…the Pirates made a move. They are bringing back Hague and cutting McClouth!!!

63. diehard says:

Said to see Nate go. Not because of his hitting – that should have been done a few weeks ago. Just that he’s a good guy. Personally, here’s hoping he re-finds his hitting stroke an finds a little more success somewhere.

64. JRay3 says:

Not only are they bringing Hague up they are inserting him at first tonight. Bucs Lineup-
    Tabata 7, Harrsion 9, McCuthen 8, Alvarez 6, Walker 4, Hague 3, Barajas 2, Barmes 6, Burnett 1.

You think the message has been sent to McGehee who lifetime hits Dempster well and Jones who is a Left handed bat being benched in favor of right handed hitting? Wow maybe the shakeup we need to get some spark.

65. TJA says:

I agree Diehard…Nate is a good guy. That said…this team had to do something, anything…

66. TJA says:

you betcha jray…big time statement.

67. bob hasis says:

Evan @57 That is long overdue in coming – I think. In the game last night where Indy beat Louisville 2-1 in 14 innings, Hague batted 7 times and K’d 4. He also did have a hit, possibly 2. I still want him here, anew fresh bat!

68. Dan1283 says:

Sorry, DK, but I skimmed the first few points. I tried but couldn’t make it all the way through all the third-best teams and national championship and SEC/Big 12 jumble. Not even you can make me care about a college football playoff. Now I know I never will. :lol:

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back